The official Wendell Moore Jr. thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Re: The official Wendell Moore Jr. thread 

Post#81 » by Dewey » Fri Jul 8, 2022 12:46 pm

minimus wrote:
Dewey wrote:I like him as a rookie prospect… his defensive issue is (watching videos, games) he struggles to keep himself over the ball versus body and is a little flat-footed. I’m never one to not-pick but these two things stand out and bug me and will force him to drop step to the basket too easy - give up a lot of easy j-shots. If they can help him here, he has a lot of smoothness to his offensive game that could surprise.

As ISO defender he definitely will struggle in NBA against quick guys. But my hope is that he learns how to use Gobert presence to be efficient defender

Ya that’s gonna help… I was surprised how poorly Utah jazz players (traditionally a well disciplined team) rotated behind Gobert when he brought help defense in these situations. Fortunately for us, this seems to be a topic Finch is dialed in on, so hopefully we continue to improve our rotations - specially the wings. I was quite surprised how we did rotating in the playoffs vs Memphis … wasn’t great but much improved from a year ago.

I know the player “values” are always a debate, but Gob helps fill so many fundamental weaknesses we have - rebounding, altering shots, help, picks, etc… and if he can help lead team defense, all our perimeter players will benefit. Intangible.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#82 » by minimus » Fri Jul 8, 2022 1:10 pm

Dewey wrote:
minimus wrote:
Dewey wrote:I like him as a rookie prospect… his defensive issue is (watching videos, games) he struggles to keep himself over the ball versus body and is a little flat-footed. I’m never one to not-pick but these two things stand out and bug me and will force him to drop step to the basket too easy - give up a lot of easy j-shots. If they can help him here, he has a lot of smoothness to his offensive game that could surprise.

As ISO defender he definitely will struggle in NBA against quick guys. But my hope is that he learns how to use Gobert presence to be efficient defender

Ya that’s gonna help… I was surprised how poorly Utah jazz players (traditionally a well disciplined team) rotated behind Gobert when he brought help defense in these situations. Fortunately for us, this seems to be a topic Finch is dialed in on, so hopefully we continue to improve our rotations - specially the wings. I was quite surprised how we did rotating in the playoffs vs Memphis … wasn’t great but much improved from a year ago.

I know the player “values” are always a debate, but Gob helps fill so many fundamental weaknesses we have - rebounding, altering shots, help, picks, etc… and if he can help lead team defense, all our perimeter players will benefit. Intangible.

Its kind of expected, because any variation of perimeter rotation requires 100% effort, motor and length, mobility and athleticism. Last season we had Vando, MCD, Edwards and Beverley who were aggressively chasing the ball. I doubt that Bogdanovic-O'Neal-Mitchell-Clarkson group can effectively rotate on perimeter just because they are undersized, not very athletic, lack length
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,474

Post#83 » by winforlose » Sat Jul 9, 2022 5:00 am

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1545604868131495938%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.canishoopus.com%2Fgame-recaps%2F2022%2F7%2F8%2F23201312%2Fwolves-85-nuggets-78-welcome-josh-minott-show-nba-summer-league

#21 vs #26, late in the game, game possibly on the line. Watch the defense of Moore and how Braun goes right by him. Thankfully Minott saves the day.
minimus
RealGM

Post#84 » by minimus » Sat Jul 9, 2022 7:46 am

winforlose wrote:
Read on Twitter

#21 vs #26, late in the game, game possibly on the line. Watch the defense of Moore and how Braun goes right by him. Thankfully Minott saves the day.

Yeah, Moore looked slow footed in defense. But I wonder whether our coaching staff ask perimeter defenders to stay attach to opponent even if they get beaten off the dribble AND tunnel them to rim protector.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#85 » by winforlose » Sat Jul 9, 2022 11:59 am

minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah, Moore looked slow footed in defense. But I wonder whether our coaching staff ask perimeter defenders to stay attach to opponent even if they get beaten off the dribble AND tunnel them to rim protector.

I thought you might say that. The rim protector in question had no blocks before this one and had his own man to defend. It looked much more like a heads up play by Minott and a failure to crash by the Nuggets player than a brilliant defensive scheme.
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#86 » by TheProdigy » Sat Jul 9, 2022 1:49 pm

winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Read on Twitter

I thought you might say that. The rim protector in question had no blocks before this one and had his own man to defend. It looked much more like a heads up play by Minott and a failure to crash by the Nuggets player than a brilliant defensive scheme.

Did you actually watch the game or just reading box score and watching highlight clips? I watched the entire game with my eyes only on #15, #7, and #18. I only saw him get beat off the dribble once (which was in this clip) and he was a little late on a rotation once. Otherwise he was getting into passing lanes getting deflections and staying in front of his man. I was impressed. We need WMJ to be a 3&D and that's exactly what I saw him do. Usually guys like that have trouble standing out in summer league.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#87 » by winforlose » Sat Jul 9, 2022 2:02 pm

TheProdigy wrote:
winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:

Did you actually watch the game or just reading box score and watching highlight clips? I watched the entire game with my eyes only on #15, #7, and #18. I only saw him get beat off the dribble once (which was in this clip) and he was a little late on a rotation once. Otherwise he was getting into passing lanes getting deflections and staying in front of his man. I was impressed. We need WMJ to be a 3&D and that's exactly what I saw him do. Usually guys like that have trouble standing out in summer league.

Not only did I watch it, but I am watching it a second time off my DVR. In the first half I counted 3 times where he was a step slow, 2-3 where he went to far away from his man trying to help but didn’t commit to help (got caught in no man’s land,) and didn’t see anything especially impressive. I may find something I missed on my first watch in the second half, but honestly the kid looks more like a project than an NBA ready rotation player. There is nothing wrong with that, he is a late first, but I just don’t see what has you guys so impressed.

Minott had a great game in the box score but also showed quite a few times that his game needs work. One particular play that alarmed me he blew a fast break and instead of taking it himself he tried to force a pass (which he made badly,) and ended up turning 2 easy points for us into 2 for them (3 on 1 the other way.) On another play Minott was in terrible defensive stance and instead of sliding his feet to get in front hip checks his man for free throws. I reference this to suggest that the box score is one part of the picture. I am looking for mechanics, NBA readiness, shot motion (especially consistent shot motion,) and more.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,978

Post#88 » by Nick K » Sat Jul 9, 2022 2:12 pm

TheProdigy wrote:
winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:

Thank You for that. That was my impression as well. I didn't have the best stream to watch the game and it was difficult to see the numbers on the players backs. I thought he let the game come to him and tried to get others involved. He looked great when aggressive.

I was surprised by Minott's shooting form which wasn't bad. He still has things to work on that a good shooting coach will fix fairly quickly.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#89 » by winforlose » Sat Jul 9, 2022 2:18 pm

Nick K wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Thank You for that. That was my impression as well. I didn't have the best stream to watch the game and it was difficult to see the numbers on the players backs. I thought he let the game come to him and tried to get others involved. He looked great when aggressive.

I was surprised by Minott's shooting form which wasn't bad. He still has things to work on that a good shooting coach will fix fairly quickly.

In the workout in MN his shooting form was much improved. If you look up some pre draft stuff on Minott his game seemed to improve after leaving college. Minott is definitely rough, but I can see a diamond in there. Just needs time and coaching to truly shine.
minimus
RealGM

Post#90 » by minimus » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:03 am

In SL Moore plays in defense like DLo last season: roaming as backline defender, leaving his man in corner to provide weakside help or tag rolling opponent. I like his steals last game, very disruptive, mature defense. He looks pretty uncomfortable shooting further than from regular 3pt line, but his shot looks very good from corners.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#91 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:58 pm

I think some are being unfairly critical of Moore. He doesn't have the handle of a PG, but I think it's fine for an SG. His defense is solid and he's a good athlete not subpar as some are suggesting. I expect his shot to come around.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#92 » by Krapinsky » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:37 pm

Moore was drafted 26th. Most had pegged him for the 2nd round, but there is not much difference between 26 and 40 after things shake out. At that range we would be fortunate to find a 3 and D guy that can pass a little bit. I don't care if he can't create his own offense-- we have ANT, KAT, D-Lo, and Nowell for that. He's supposed to be a guy that guards his man, can hit an open shot, and doesn't make too many mistakes. He's the low cost Tauren Prince replacement that we'll need two years from now.

The guy we unfortunately passed on -- Malaki Branham -- is the guy that can create his own offense and make tough shots. At the end of the day, it didn't matter because he would have ended up with the Jazz.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#93 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:16 pm

Krapinsky wrote:Moore was drafted 26th. Most had pegged him for the 2nd round, but there is not much difference between 26 and 40 after things shake out. At that range we would be fortunate to find a 3 and D guy that can pass a little bit. I don't care if he can't create his own offense-- we have ANT, KAT, D-Lo, and Nowell for that. He's supposed to be a guy that guards his man, can hit an open shot, and doesn't make too many mistakes. He's the low cost Tauren Prince replacement that we'll need two years from now.

The guy we unfortunately passed on -- Malaki Branham -- is the guy that can create his own offense and make tough shots. At the end of the day, it didn't matter because he would have ended up with the Jazz.

Has Branham been demonstrating these skills during SL play?
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#94 » by Krapinsky » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:38 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:Moore was drafted 26th. Most had pegged him for the 2nd round, but there is not much difference between 26 and 40 after things shake out. At that range we would be fortunate to find a 3 and D guy that can pass a little bit. I don't care if he can't create his own offense-- we have ANT, KAT, D-Lo, and Nowell for that. He's supposed to be a guy that guards his man, can hit an open shot, and doesn't make too many mistakes. He's the low cost Tauren Prince replacement that we'll need two years from now.

He struggled out the gate but had some nice moments against Houston. Has some NBA-ready scoring moves.

FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#95 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:22 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

He struggled out the gate but had some nice moments against Houston. Has some NBA-ready scoring moves.

Looks like one pretty good game.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,884

Post#96 » by life_saver » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:02 am

didn't watch the match but looking at box score, this looks like Wendell's best match so far ? 5 assists too
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#97 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:38 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#98 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:13 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#99 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:29 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I liked that.
minimus
RealGM

Post#100 » by minimus » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:08 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

That is what I meant when I wrote that Moore plays in defense in SL like DLo did last year: roaming in defense.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves