ImageImageImage

Don't speed it up: Wolves sign Slo-Mo Kyle Anderson (2yr/$18M)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,728

Re: Don't speed it up: Wolves sign Slo-Mo Kyle Anderson (2yr/$18M) 

Post#101 » by minimus » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:06 pm

shrink wrote:
minimus wrote:
shrink wrote:No. We can’t extend Anderson’s contract because he’s in his first year, and we can’t restructure current contracts because our team payroll is over the salary cap.

Thank you! Let me re-phrase, can we extend Anderson right AFTER this season?

No. He’s under contract for next year, with no team option or player option. Contracts can’t be renegotiated unless a team is under the cap. Contracts can only be extended after the second anniversary of when the deal is signed.

BTW, we will get early Bird rights on Anderson after next season, so we wouldn’t need to touch the MLE. However, when we are so far into the lux, there is no guarantee we will even use it.

Thank you! My point is, rather than bitting dust on FA market, I would try to re-sign Anderson who has been crucial player for us, I hope it make sense.
minimus
RealGM

Post#102 » by minimus » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:55 pm

During ASG media Edwards said that Anderson has been very important for him in terms of leadership.
minimus
RealGM

Post#103 » by minimus » Wed Mar 1, 2023 7:57 am

In case anyone just like me was wondering if that play looked familiar

Read on Twitter
?

Read on Twitter

Well, this statement is correct, it is called chemistry which might be "prebuild" at some degree. First you run play by coach call, the you run play based on free flow. It might be good example of Finch motion offense.

Read on Twitter
minimus
RealGM

Post#104 » by minimus » Thu Mar 2, 2023 12:31 pm

I wonder how Anderson impacts defense by being a reliable rebounder who gets long rebounds? I mean we have been awful at boxing out and securing all these long rebounds, Ant and MCD underperform in this area. Reid is almost always out of position to get rebounds. Garza is limited athletically but he gets almost every rebound in reach range of his arms. TP an is average rebounder but he is active. Surprisingly Conley, NAW and McLaughlin give a lot efforts here.

P.S. I also hope that Minott can develop in MCD type of comboforward with rebounding skills. This will be huge improvement for bench. We are 26th in OReb...
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#105 » by Biff Cooper » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:08 pm

I trust Slo-Mo. He is a typical coaches kid. So smart and savvy on both ends of the court. I trust that if Slo-Mo was getting on Rudy about something, that Rudy was at fault and wasn't doing something that he should have been. Most of the year Slo-Mo has sat back and let the coaches or KAT or Rudy, or Ant, or DLo take a leadership role. However, it is pretty clear that Slo-Mo hates losing, and things came to a head against the Pelicans. I'm personally hoping this is a turning point where we see more of Slo-Mo playing a leadership role on this team. He more than any other player knows where everyone needs to be, and what they need to be doing schematically to play winning basketball.

If he is doing it, it should also free KAT, Ant, and Rudy to not have that on their plates, and just be doing their job and making winning plays.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,561

Post#106 » by TimberKat » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:39 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:I trust Slo-Mo. He is a typical coaches kid. So smart and savvy on both ends of the court. I trust that if Slo-Mo was getting on Rudy about something, that Rudy was at fault and wasn't doing something that he should have been. Most of the year Slo-Mo has sat back and let the coaches or KAT or Rudy, or Ant, or DLo take a leadership role. However, it is pretty clear that Slo-Mo hates losing, and things came to a head against the Pelicans. I'm personally hoping this is a turning point where we see more of Slo-Mo playing a leadership role on this team. He more than any other player knows where everyone needs to be, and what they need to be doing schematically to play winning basketball.

If he is doing it, it should also free KAT, Ant, and Rudy to not have that on their plates, and just be doing their job and making winning plays.

I don't know telling your teammate to stfub in the open is good leadership. I think you lose friends or teeth fairly quick in pickup games. For his sake, I am glad he didn't say that to Dillion Brooks or Ja in Memphis. Maybe that is why he is not on that team anymore. Again, I am assuming there is no other layers in what happen.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,105

Post#107 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:49 pm

TimberKat wrote:
Biff Cooper wrote:I trust Slo-Mo. He is a typical coaches kid. So smart and savvy on both ends of the court. I trust that if Slo-Mo was getting on Rudy about something, that Rudy was at fault and wasn't doing something that he should have been. Most of the year Slo-Mo has sat back and let the coaches or KAT or Rudy, or Ant, or DLo take a leadership role. However, it is pretty clear that Slo-Mo hates losing, and things came to a head against the Pelicans. I'm personally hoping this is a turning point where we see more of Slo-Mo playing a leadership role on this team. He more than any other player knows where everyone needs to be, and what they need to be doing schematically to play winning basketball.

I don't know telling your teammate to stfub in the open is good leadership. I think you lose friends or teeth fairly quick in pickup games. For his sake, I am glad he didn't say that to Dillion Brooks or Ja in Memphis. Maybe that is why he is not on that team anymore. Again, I am assuming there is no other layers in what happen.

Different leadership styles. The important thing is he doesn't change his approach. Like how Finch doesn't back away from being hard on top players like Ant like he is with the guys at the bottom of the roster, the same goes for Kyle.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#108 » by TimberKat » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:07 pm

Klomp wrote:Different leadership styles. The important thing is he doesn't change his approach. Like how Finch doesn't back away from being hard on top players like Ant like he is with the guys at the bottom of the roster, the same goes for Kyle.

I don't see it as style. I see it as disrespectful and not acceptable in professional culture. SlowMo should go after Gobert if he is not giving 100% but needs to be in an acceptable way.

We always have these double standards in America. I personally witness some white dude using the F word in a corporate meeting is style and a minority use the F word should get fired. We should also factor in Gobert is French so what perceived as acceptable maybe different. Sorry being the HR guy in the room.
Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 200

Post#109 » by Battletrigger » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:50 pm

You must hate Kevin Garnett, right?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:02 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#111 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:20 pm

Read on Twitter

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,833

Post#112 » by shrink » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:42 pm

TimberKat wrote:

That made me laugh out loud! Nice, TimberKat.

In my real life, I have spent a great deal of time thinking about leadership, from MBA school through several professional and less formal situations. It’s a nebulous topic at best, with many people having many differing opinions. And on top of that, different leadership styles work for different individuals on any team. I boil it down to this - you demonstrate good leadership if your teammates are more productive. Even if you are a fan of Kyle’s style of leadership (and it’s one I don’t mind as a follower), the last game was a leadership fail for Anderson because that was obviously not the way to get Gobert to be better. It probably made Kyle feel good at the moment to say it, but when a player is already down, then you need to pick a different moment.
shrink
RealGM

Post#113 » by shrink » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:55 pm

I also wanted to mention that the last Jon Krawcinski podcast had some great inside info on another event.

Remember that SAC game where Kyle created space, dumped it to Rudy for the dunk, then ran back and said something and kissed him on the cheek? It seems that Kyle had told Rudy to do something before the play, and Kyle got it wrong. SloMo came back to Rudy, admitted his mistake, and gave him that kiss.

That’s another great leadership trait. Accountability. We’ve all had bosses that dodge personal responsibility but demand it of everyone else. I think Kyle is a leader, but he is also a teammate, subject to the same standards as the other 16 team members. We’re all going to make mistakes, but how Kyle handled it is something I respect.
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#114 » by LibertyPrime » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:47 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Happy to hear this. We've got such talent on this team; I would hate to lose it to personal squabbles along the lines of Marbury/Googs. At this point I think KA is at least as important a figure on the team as Rudy. (Others might argue, more so.)
"The last domino falls here!"
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#115 » by TimberKat » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:21 am

Battletrigger wrote:You must hate Kevin Garnett, right?

There's a longer KG discussion in the LA game thread.
shrink
RealGM

Post#116 » by shrink » Tue May 9, 2023 12:05 pm

Can Anderson be the back up PG? I know he played PG in college, but is this possible in the NBA?

For example, it sounds like Connolly likes the starting line up of Conley, Ant, McDaniels, KAT, Gobert. I could see Mike starting the offense through the pick and roll, with the other three all excellent options for kick outs to shoot three’s or drive. After six minutes, the two oldest guys, Conley and Gobert, go to the bench, and we bring in SloMo and Naz (hopefully?).

Does a line up of Anderson - Ant - McDaniels - Naz - Towns bury opposing second units with continued size? Or are we too big, that we can’t defend?
minimus
RealGM

Post#117 » by minimus » Tue May 9, 2023 2:04 pm

shrink wrote:Can Anderson be the back up PG? I know he played PG in college, but is this possible in the NBA?

For example, it sounds like Connolly likes the starting line up of Conley, Ant, McDaniels, KAT, Gobert. I could see Mike starting the offense through the pick and roll, with the other three all excellent options for kick outs to shoot three’s or drive. After six minutes, the two oldest guys, Conley and Gobert, go to the bench, and we bring in SloMo and Naz (hopefully?).

Does a line up of Anderson - Ant - McDaniels - Naz - Towns bury opposing second units with continued size? Or are we too big, that we can’t defend?

No, he cant. This experiment failed in playoff this year, because he cant shoot. But I am really thinking that a comboforward who can pass AND comboguard at PG might be one of realistic workaround for MIN roster construction.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#118 » by TimberKat » Tue May 9, 2023 3:58 pm

minimus wrote:
shrink wrote:Can Anderson be the back up PG? I know he played PG in college, but is this possible in the NBA?

No, he cant. This experiment failed in playoff this year, because he cant shoot. But I am really thinking that a comboforward who can pass AND comboguard at PG might be one of realistic workaround for MIN roster construction.

So this is the part where the initial vision of DLo would had worked. Except he wants max money. He would be perfect as the combo guard coming off the bench
minimus
RealGM

Post#119 » by minimus » Tue May 9, 2023 5:41 pm

TimberKat wrote:
minimus wrote:

So this is the part where the initial vision of DLo would had worked. Except he wants max money. He would be perfect as the combo guard coming off the bench

Yeah, but as we can see even LeBron as point forward does not guarantee that DLo as starting PG works.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#120 » by urinesane » Wed May 10, 2023 2:03 am

TimberKat wrote:
minimus wrote:

The problem with DLo is that he would never take a deal that is on par with his actual production. He's never produced wins/stats anywhere near worthy of $27-$31 million per year. He certainly isn't going to take the money someone coming off the bench with his impact deserves.

Since DLo will never sign for a team friendly deal, he remains a negative value for his salary.

The Wolves paid him $85,947,750 to play in 173 games for them ($496,807 per game). Out of those 173 games the Wolves won 84, which equals $1,023,187.50 per win in his time with the Wolves.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves