ImageImageImage

Don't speed it up: Wolves sign Slo-Mo Kyle Anderson (2yr/$18M)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Guest84
Senior
And1: 358

Re: Don't speed it up: Wolves sign Slo-Mo Kyle Anderson (2yr/$18M) 

Post#121 » by Guest84 » Thu May 18, 2023 6:55 pm

Sounds like KA just had eye surgery for the injury from the Ant hit.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#122 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 7, 2023 9:22 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#123 » by minimus » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:03 pm

If you had to name the Minnesota Timberwolves' best defensive player, it'd take a while before you got to Kyle Anderson. But he graded out better than four-time DPOY Rudy Gobert in Defensive Estimated Plus/Minus last season, and he also topped Jaden McDaniels, who could land a $100 million contract extension before the 2023-24 season kicks off—largely on the strength of his defensive prowess.

We have to be careful here because a catch-all metric, especially on D, is too noisy to make a definitive argument. But the fact that there's any data suggesting Anderson is even in the conversation with those two proves he's underrated.

Further evidence on that front: Only 27 players in NBA history with at least 12,000 minutes have block and steal rates above 2.0 percent. Anderson is one of them, occupying space alongside the likes of generational defenders like David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon, Shawn Marion, Ben Wallace, Andre Kirilenko and Draymond Green.

In addition to the length and anticipation that make the 6'9" Anderson a high-end stopper, we must add elite passing for a forward. The 29-year-old has ranked in the 86th percentile or better in assist percentage at his position every year since 2017-18, and he's rated even higher in assist-to-usage ratio, which captures how effective Anderson is as a facilitator, despite relatively little time on the ball.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10083549-ranking-the-most-underrated-nba-players
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,718

Post#124 » by shrink » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:54 pm

I’m no stats expert, but isn’t DPM a box score stat, that would give extra credit to getting steals and blocks?

I agree there is no one, all-encompassing defensive metric, but this impresses me far more:

Read on Twitter
minimus
RealGM

Post#125 » by minimus » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:05 pm

After all off-season moves, I can not stop thinking that ironically, Anderson-McDaniels-Brown-Minott-Miller looks like a good combination of talent, skills, athleticism on PF/SF position. Something that Rosas always wanted to assemble, but never achieved here in MIN.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#126 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:27 pm

minimus wrote:After all off-season moves, I can not stop thinking that ironically, Anderson-McDaniels-Brown-Minott-Miller looks like a good combination of talent, skills, athleticism on PF/SF position. Something that Rosas always wanted to assemble, but never achieved here in MIN.

Absolutely
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#128 » by Klomp » Sun Aug 6, 2023 8:38 pm

Read on Twitter

shrink
RealGM

Post#129 » by shrink » Mon Aug 7, 2023 2:59 am

Smart team defenders, anticipating the play.

A little surprised Jaden McDaniels wasn’t listed.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,895

Post#130 » by Colbinii » Mon Aug 7, 2023 3:22 pm

shrink wrote:I’m no stats expert, but isn’t DPM a box score stat, that would give extra credit to getting steals and blocks?

I agree there is no one, all-encompassing defensive metric, but this impresses me far more:

Read on Twitter

DBPM is part of BPM which is Box-Score Plus-Minus.

DPM is related to EPM which is Estimated Plus-Minus.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
KATKlownFeet
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#131 » by KATKlownFeet » Mon Aug 7, 2023 3:59 pm

Have the Wolves engaged Slo-Mo in extension talks? I hope we can bring Slo-Mo back in 2024-25 at about same salary as we are paying him now.
shrink
RealGM

Post#132 » by shrink » Mon Aug 7, 2023 4:39 pm

KATKlownFeet wrote:Have the Wolves engaged Slo-Mo in extension talks? I hope we can bring Slo-Mo back in 2024-25 at about same salary as we are paying him now.

He isn’t eligible, because he hasn’t been on his current contract for two seasons.
KATKlownFeet
Freshman

Post#133 » by KATKlownFeet » Mon Aug 7, 2023 8:04 pm

shrink wrote:
KATKlownFeet wrote:Have the Wolves engaged Slo-Mo in extension talks? I hope we can bring Slo-Mo back in 2024-25 at about same salary as we are paying him now.

He isn’t eligible, because he hasn’t been on his current contract for two seasons.

Can Wolves sign him at end of season for up to 120% of his current contract? If so, any thoughts on likelihood of keeping Slomo past this upcoming season?
shrink
RealGM

Post#134 » by shrink » Mon Aug 7, 2023 9:23 pm

KATKlownFeet wrote:
shrink wrote:

Can Wolves sign him at end of season for up to 120% of his current contract? If so, any thoughts on likelihood of keeping Slomo past this upcoming season?

Two years of service gets you Early Bird Rights, which allow a team over the cap to sign their own player for 175% of his current contract. For Kyle, that would mean a deal starting at $16.1 mil, based off the $9.2 mil he is earning this year. Early Bird contracts must be 2-4 years, and they can have 8% raises.

My thoughts? Losing Anderson or Mike Conley would be a big loss to the team. Both are good vets who know how to help a team in many ways, and keep our 3-4 big engines purring. I’m not sure what ARod and Lore are going to do next year with the payroll - and I’m not sure they do yet either. A lot can change before next season, but right now, we have a lot of under-priced talent on the team, and it’s impossible for teams to just stay that way. I think if MIN is a contender this year, this summer they would look really bad to the general public who doesn’t understand the second apron if they cut players from the team to save money. They may decide to pay now, and hope to recoup their money by pushing through a new arena with public support. What happens next summer all comes down to the team succeeding this season - so much rides on this year.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,895

Post#135 » by Colbinii » Tue Aug 8, 2023 1:18 pm

KATKlownFeet wrote:
shrink wrote:

It depends on how the season turns out, what SlowMo is valuing [he would be great back on San Antonio, for example, and they could pay him more than we can] and what the Point Guard of Future looks like.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
KATKlownFeet
Freshman

Post#136 » by KATKlownFeet » Tue Aug 8, 2023 3:12 pm

Colbinii wrote:
KATKlownFeet wrote:
shrink wrote:He isn’t eligible, because he hasn’t been on his current contract for two seasons.

It depends on how the season turns out, what SlowMo is valuing [he would be great back on San Antonio, for example, and they could pay him more than we can] and what the Point Guard of Future looks like.

Kyle or Li Kaiher as he now goes by will be 30 next offseason. The Spurs are building a young team and won't have much reason to tie up money on an old guy. If the Spurs are our main competition to retain Li Kaiher, we should be fine.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,260

Post#137 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Aug 8, 2023 4:30 pm

KATKlownFeet wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
KATKlownFeet wrote:

Kyle or Li Kaiher as he now goes by will be 30 next offseason. The Spurs are building a young team and won't have much reason to tie up money on an old guy. If the Spurs are our main competition to retain Li Kaiher, we should be fine.

Pretty sure he's still Kyle Anderson. And his Chinese name will just be used when he plays for their National Team.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#138 » by Klomp » Tue Aug 8, 2023 5:37 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:Pretty sure he's still Kyle Anderson. And his Chinese name will just be used when he plays for their National Team.

Correct! This Klown needs to get his facts straight!

minimus
RealGM

Post#139 » by minimus » Wed Aug 9, 2023 9:02 am

shrink wrote:
KATKlownFeet wrote:
shrink wrote:He isn’t eligible, because he hasn’t been on his current contract for two seasons.

Two years of service gets you Early Bird Rights, which allow a team over the cap to sign their own player for 175% of his current contract. For Kyle, that would mean a deal starting at $16.1 mil, based off the $9.2 mil he is earning this year. Early Bird contracts must be 2-4 years, and they can have 8% raises.

My thoughts? Losing Anderson or Mike Conley would be a big loss to the team. Both are good vets who know how to help a team in many ways, and keep our 3-4 big engines purring. I’m not sure what ARod and Lore are going to do next year with the payroll - and I’m not sure they do yet either. A lot can change before next season, but right now, we have a lot of under-priced talent on the team, and it’s impossible for teams to just stay that way. I think if MIN is a contender this year, this summer they would look really bad to the general public who doesn’t understand the second apron if they cut players from the team to save money. They may decide to pay now, and hope to recoup their money by pushing through a new arena with public support. What happens next summer all comes down to the team succeeding this season - so much rides on this year.

We need to wait for MCD contract extension and the picture is clear: 160 mil in 2024-25 + MCD new contract. This is without Kyle Anderson and Conley contracts.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/MIN.html
minimus
RealGM

Post#140 » by minimus » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:09 am

Read on Twitter

We need to find the way to resign him after this season

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves