Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,552

Re: The Official Rudy Gobert Thread 

Post#741 » by Note30 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 pm

Klomp wrote:
Note30 wrote:
Klomp wrote:At what point do we consider the possibility of retiring the 27 jersey? Outside of Ant, he's probably next on my list of current Wolves players with that chance (followed by Naz Reid).

Wins a ring with us and stays 5 more years.

I don't know about the 5 years thing. His impact is evident. His advanced stats bear it out too.

So if Giannis came here for a couple years and won a ring you'd retire his jersey?
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,106

Post#742 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:46 pm

Note30 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Note30 wrote:
Wins a ring with us and stays 5 more years.

I don't know about the 5 years thing. His impact is evident. His advanced stats bear it out too.

So if Giannis came here for a couple years and won a ring you'd retire his jersey?

With where our franchise is at the moment, absolutely.

We are the worst franchise in sports statistically. Winning a title is an enormous accomplishment. If a guy is just a role player, sure you don't retire his number if he's only here a couple of seasons. But few have been as impactful as him.

Next year will be Year 3 for Gobert in Minnesota. Only 33 players in franchise history have been here for more than 3 seasons. Another 75 games played in 2024-25 will move him into the Top 40 in games played. Another season will also put him in the Top 5 in both career rebounds and career blocks. All while being a leader on only the second team to move past the first round.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,552

Post#743 » by Note30 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:48 pm

Klomp wrote:
Note30 wrote:
Klomp wrote:I don't know about the 5 years thing. His impact is evident. His advanced stats bear it out too.

We are the worst franchise in sports statistically. Winning a title is an enormous accomplishment. If a guy is just a role player, sure you don't retire his number if he's only here a couple of seasons. But few have been as impactful as him.

Next year will be Year 3 for Gobert in Minnesota. Only 33 players in franchise history have been here for more than 3 seasons. Another 75 games played in 2024-25 will move him into the Top 40 in games played. Another season will also put him in the Top 5 in both career rebounds and career blocks. All while being a leader on only the second team to move past the first round.

Fair enough.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,581

Post#744 » by TimberKat » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:26 am

Klomp wrote:
Note30 wrote:
Klomp wrote:I don't know about the 5 years thing. His impact is evident. His advanced stats bear it out too.

As much as I like the Gobert trade, he only got us win two games in the first round. Let's wait until we win one playoff series before we retire his Jersey :D
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,866

Post#745 » by KGdaBom » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:34 am

TimberKat wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Note30 wrote:

As much as I like the Gobert trade, he only got us win two games in the first round. Let's wait until we win one playoff series before we retire his Jersey :D

I'm just imagining the possibilities. :D
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#746 » by Rauxcee » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:01 am

younggunsmn wrote:I didn't follow closely the stuff in Utah, about the all-star game snub or relationships with teammates or reputation as a whiner around the league.

Some perspective from a Jazz fan (sorry this ended up very long winded):

Rudy when he was younger could be very reactionary and blunt with comments. Coach Snyder would often mention how he would have to help Rudy with communication and how he handled his feelings and frustrations vocally. Early on he wasn't a great vocal leader because of how he communicated or how he said things. He's improved over the years, but he's a passionate guy and sometimes his emotions get the best of him- either verbally or physically (as you guys have seen too). He wears 27 because that's where he was drafted and he's salty about that.

The last year or two of the Gobert/Mitchell era, Rudy's frustration as being the only player willing to defend and rebound was becoming more noticeable. He commented on how even Devin Booker is trying on defense, so why can't his guys try too. Which was an obvious dig at Mitchell.

The Jazz were also playing selfish hero ball and he was often wide open for dunks or cuts to the rim and was ignored in favor of contested pull up 3's or long 2's. That's where his comments on wanting to be more involved on offense came from- he's working his butt off on defense and would like to not be ignored on offense when he has clean open looks.

So Rudy can have a mouth and let his feelings be known- not always in a professional manner. That just rubs people the wrong way.

Add in getting emotional and crying about something, well, society says men aren't allowed to do that, especially in sports, so if you get snubbed and cry a little, the world looks down on you. Anytime a player gets emotional or shows tears they are memed and made fun of- drives me crazy.

I get why he's not liked- I don't think his personality meshes with everyone, people and players don't like defense, especially if the defense is personally affecting their stats. They are not capable of admitting another player affected their game, and when that player isn't likable? Even more so.

As fan, I've loved Rudy. Top 3 Jazz player all time for me. He was always great to the fans and willing to do team sponsored meet and autograph signings. I went to one and the jazz employees commented on how nice he was and how cool it was to see a player of his caliber still willing to do these when other players weren't (a dig at Hayward).

He also was willing to poke fun at some of his in game outbursts (he did a handful of commercials and one focused on reinacting one of his ejections which was hilarious and cool of him to do).

He was an idiot with the covid thing, but was genuinely remorseful afterwards and donated a decent chunk of change to the employees of the arena who were out of a job due to the shutdown.

He busted his ass for the team for all the years he was there- many of those years being the only guy to rebound and play defense- he was the Jazz best player his entire career by miles- but Mitchell and Hayward got the credit, while he got the unfair blame for the team's failures (even before the contract) when he had nothing to do with the failures. He was the only reason the Jazz were an annual top 5 seed and made the playoffs, and the only reason they were a top 5 defense. Jazz would have been a 10/9 seed without him. Their record and rating with him vs without him is ridiculous.

The Jazz were solely relevant because of him- but he doesn't put up fancy points or box score stats. The average fan doesn't notice defense that is not blocks or steals, and they definitely don't notice players who drive to the paint, see Rudy, change their minds and pass or shoot a long jumper somewhere else on the court instead.

I hope Rudy continues to be great for you guys (I think he is arguably your best player if not a very close second) and as a fan, I would love for him to get his number retired by 2 teams.
Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 158

Post#747 » by Loaf_of_bread » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:47 am

Rauxcee wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:I didn't follow closely the stuff in Utah, about the all-star game snub or relationships with teammates or reputation as a whiner around the league.

Rudy when he was younger could be very reactionary and blunt with comments. Coach Snyder would often mention how he would have to help Rudy with communication and how he handled his feelings and frustrations vocally. Early on he wasn't a great vocal leader because of how he communicated or how he said things. He's improved over the years, but he's a passionate guy and sometimes his emotions get the best of him- either verbally or physically (as you guys have seen too). He wears 27 because that's where he was drafted and he's salty about that.

The last year or two of the Gobert/Mitchell era, Rudy's frustration as being the only player willing to defend and rebound was becoming more noticeable. He commented on how even Devin Booker is trying on defense, so why can't his guys try too. Which was an obvious dig at Mitchell.

The Jazz were also playing selfish hero ball and he was often wide open for dunks or cuts to the rim and was ignored in favor of contested pull up 3's or long 2's. That's where his comments on wanting to be more involved on offense came from- he's working his butt off on defense and would like to not be ignored on offense when he has clean open looks.

So Rudy can have a mouth and let his feelings be known- not always in a professional manner. That just rubs people the wrong way.

Add in getting emotional and crying about something, well, society says men aren't allowed to do that, especially in sports, so if you get snubbed and cry a little, the world looks down on you. Anytime a player gets emotional or shows tears they are memed and made fun of- drives me crazy.

I get why he's not liked- I don't think his personality meshes with everyone, people and players don't like defense, especially if the defense is personally affecting their stats. They are not capable of admitting another player affected their game, and when that player isn't likable? Even more so.

As fan, I've loved Rudy. Top 3 Jazz player all time for me. He was always great to the fans and willing to do team sponsored meet and autograph signings. I went to one and the jazz employees commented on how nice he was and how cool it was to see a player of his caliber still willing to do these when other players weren't (a dig at Hayward).

He also was willing to poke fun at some of his in game outbursts (he did a handful of commercials and one focused on reinacting one of his ejections which was hilarious and cool of him to do).

He was an idiot with the covid thing, but was genuinely remorseful afterwards and donated a decent chunk of change to the employees of the arena who were out of a job due to the shutdown.

He busted his ass for the team for all the years he was there- many of those years being the only guy to rebound and play defense- he was the Jazz best player his entire career by miles- but Mitchell and Hayward got the credit, while he got the unfair blame for the team's failures (even before the contract) when he had nothing to do with the failures. He was the only reason the Jazz were an annual top 5 seed and made the playoffs, and the only reason they were a top 5 defense. Jazz would have been a 10/9 seed without him. Their record and rating with him vs without him is ridiculous.

The Jazz were solely relevant because of him- but he doesn't put up fancy points or box score stats. The average fan doesn't notice defense that is not blocks or steals, and they definitely don't notice players who drive to the paint, see Rudy, change their minds and pass or shoot a long jumper somewhere else on the court instead.

I hope Rudy continues to be great for you guys (I think he is arguably your best player if not a very close second) and as a fan, I would love for him to get his number retired by 2 teams.

Yeah, he is a bit eccentric, was almost peculiar at times, but he's older, wiser now. Nothing wrong with that. Could be paramount in this team this year. Love that he's hearing low key criticism... more motivation
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,424

Post#748 » by younggunsmn » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:50 am

Rauxcee wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

Yes the difference from last season to this season is substantial.
Last year the body language was often poor and he did not seem as willing to go outside his comfort zone on the court, and the communication and trust with his teammates did not seem very good for most of the season, although it improved somewhat after we brought Mike in. We've come a long way from guys calling each other names and taking swings in the huddle.

The darkness retreat and whatever else he did in the offseason seem to have brought alot of maturity with them.
Money sign incident notwithstanding, he has consistently been one of our most composed players throughout the year, even with other players and teams often going at him and trying to get into his head because maybe that did work in the past.

He now seems much more zen and perhaps has been able to burn off that last layer of insecurity that comes when someone finally learns to quit caring so much about what other people think, learns to accept life as it comes, and learns to accept themself as they are, both the good and the bad.

For what it's worth, I think having our best player (Ant) embrace and support Rudy so much both publicly and on the court has gone a long way to helping Rudy thrive here and be accepted by his teammates.

A LOT of other big names in this league could (and have) gone the other way with him, with as frustrating as it might get having a non "offensive superstar" big constantly occupying so much paint space.

Even Shaq and Kobe had friction on that front.
Ant has gone out of his way to make it work.
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 447

Post#749 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:58 am

Thanks for sharing. As a jazz follower for years too, i would add that Rudy has always closed to Mike , Clarkson. So he was appreciated by some others players. Even the relationship with Don was not as bad as some social media speak. And Don was also not the best teammate when he decide to play no defense and being the hero player... I see Mike and Rudy so frustrated during some games... i'm happy they find a team that value collective effort, defense... almost the opposite at what i saw for years at Jazz.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,861

Post#750 » by shrink » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:59 pm

younggunsmn wrote:
Rauxcee wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

Yes the difference from last season to this season is substantial.
Last year the body language was often poor and he did not seem as willing to go outside his comfort zone on the court, and the communication and trust with his teammates did not seem very good for most of the season, although it improved somewhat after we brought Mike in. We've come a long way from guys calling each other names and taking swings in the huddle. .

Thanks for taking the time to post that Rauxcee. I learned a lot.

The addition of Mike certainly helped Rudy be more comfortable, but I think removing DLo also improved his environment. After the Conley-DLo trade, Jim Peterson mentioned something about chemistry issues, where Russell would mock Rudy on and off the court. When we traded for Rudy, I had predicted (incorrectly) that he would really help Russell, cleaning up his half-hearted perimeter defense, and being a good target for his skilled passing. Unfortunately, it quickly became apparent that DLo couldn’t (or more likely “wouldn’t) alter his game, insisting on bounce passes, then saying something when Gobert fumbled them. Later, I heard an old interview from vet Mike Conley back with the Jazz that it took him a year to adjust his game to maximize playing with Rudy, and his unique physical dynamics. For example, he talked about how, with Rudy’s long legs, his bounce passes would only end up at Gobert’s knees. The difference though was that Conley changed his game for the good of the team, while DLo apparently made things worse for Rudy and us.

I like watching smart defense, and I’ve been a Gobert fan for years. With KAT here, I never expected he could play for my favorite team. It’s been a joy to watch Rudy operate, and how he has fit so well here, and improved the entire team leading by example.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,559

Post#751 » by Calinks » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:21 am

Former Wolf legend Rashad McCants going hard defending Rudy Gobert while everyone else is trying to say he's overrated lol.

When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,861

Post#752 » by shrink » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:48 pm

If you ignore the Hot-Takey General Board, I thought I’d mention there is a thread there giving Rudy his due.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2374826
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior

Post#753 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:24 pm

Did someone know when DPOY will be announced?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,729

Post#754 » by minimus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:46 am

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:Did someone know when DPOY will be announced?

Do you have any doubts?
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior

Post#755 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Wed May 1, 2024 12:09 am

minimus wrote:

Do you have any doubts?

In NBA, you never know. They want Wemby to be one of the next superstar ( and he will) so let's see. Rudy have never been popular. Hope Rudy get it, he deserves it being a big part of our terrific defense.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,866

Post#756 » by KGdaBom » Wed May 1, 2024 1:24 am

minimus wrote:

Do you have any doubts?

It's a popularity contest. If the league sees any way to screw Rudy out of it they will.
Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 158

Post#757 » by Loaf_of_bread » Wed May 1, 2024 2:25 am

I quess I'm a bit out there, but if im in Rudy's shoes, I could could less. Rudy is a smart guy, the award is so subjective based off of opinion. Who really cares.

It is extremely hard to quantify on an unbiased level who really is the best defender. Agree, popularity contest. If Rudy displays any sort of disgruntledness if he is overlooked, ill lose respect for him.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,308

Post#758 » by BlacJacMac » Wed May 1, 2024 3:06 am

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:
minimus wrote:

Do you have any doubts?

In NBA, you never know. They want Wemby to be one of the next superstar ( and he will) so let's see. Rudy have never been popular. Hope Rudy get it, he deserves it being a big part of our terrific defense.

There is no way a guy on a bottom 3rd defense and 22 win team will get the award.

In the future, absolutely he could.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,191

Post#759 » by Domejandro » Wed May 1, 2024 3:08 am

Loaf_of_bread wrote:I quess I'm a bit out there, but if im in Rudy's shoes, I could could less. Rudy is a smart guy, the award is so subjective based off of opinion. Who really cares.

It is extremely hard to quantify on an unbiased level who really is the best defender. Agree, popularity contest. If Rudy displays any sort of disgruntledness if he is overlooked, ill lose respect for him.

I think Rudy would absolutely be in the right to be disgruntled, that award is a HUGE component of legacy building. Only two players in NBA history (Dikembe Mutombo and Ben Wallace) have won the award four times; winning it would put Rudy Gobert into that category of generational defensive players.

It doesn't matter because he is clearly winning it this season, but it's valid to be annoyed about a snub.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,540

Post#760 » by winforlose » Wed May 1, 2024 7:49 am

Domejandro wrote:
Loaf_of_bread wrote:I quess I'm a bit out there, but if im in Rudy's shoes, I could could less. Rudy is a smart guy, the award is so subjective based off of opinion. Who really cares.

I think Rudy would absolutely be in the right to be disgruntled, that award is a HUGE component of legacy building. Only two players in NBA history (Dikembe Mutombo and Ben Wallace) have won the award four times; winning it would put Rudy Gobert into that category of generational defensive players.

It doesn't matter because he is clearly winning it this season, but it's valid to be annoyed about a snub.

Has anyone ever won it 5 times?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves