ImageImageImage

The Official Rudy Gobert Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,455

Re: The Official Rudy Gobert Thread 

Post#641 » by winforlose » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:41 pm

Gobert is with the team but did not participate in shoot around. I think his ribs are gonna make him miss games.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,685

Post#642 » by shrink » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:44 pm

Jazz are 20-13 at home, and they aren’t tanking. Last night they pushed out a two point win over the Hawks.

Everyone predicts two easy wins against the Jazz, but without Towns or Gobert, I think this could be tough games.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#643 » by winforlose » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:46 pm

shrink wrote:Jazz are 20-13 at home, and they aren’t tanking. Last night they pushed out a two point win over the Hawks.

Everyone predicts two easy wins against the Jazz, but without Towns or Gobert, I think this could be tough games.

True. They are missing Markkanen, Collins, and Clarkson, but they still have size over us.
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 414

Post#644 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:12 am

Trap game definitly. Jazz did a half tank season but at that stage, they can no go dowm much more. They will be a touh opponent. It s... that Rudy got injured. Hope NAZ rebound well,
winforlose
General Manager

Post#645 » by winforlose » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:24 am

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:Trap game definitly. Jazz did a half tank season but at that stage, they can no go dowm much more. They will be a touh opponent. It s... that Rudy got injured. Hope NAZ rebound well,

Naz and Kyle are both banged up as well. Kyle has a shoulder issue that has kept him on the injury report. Naz meanwhile rolled his ankle on Tuesday against the Clippers. Neither is at 100%. Garza and Warren might need to play real minutes in this one.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#646 » by winforlose » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:42 am

“Christopher Hine: Rudy Gobert is OUT tonight, Chris Finch said. Finch did not have a timeline for when to expect Rudy to return. 4 hours ago – via Twitter ChristopherHine“

Copied from hoopshype
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,494

Post#647 » by TimberKat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:56 pm

winforlose wrote:“Christopher Hine: Rudy Gobert is OUT tonight, Chris Finch said. Finch did not have a timeline for when to expect Rudy to return. 4 hours ago – via Twitter ChristopherHine“

Copied from hoopshype

Anyone know what is the diagnosis? Broken rib, bruised ribs, punctured lung, muscle pull?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#648 » by winforlose » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:02 pm

TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:“Christopher Hine: Rudy Gobert is OUT tonight, Chris Finch said. Finch did not have a timeline for when to expect Rudy to return. 4 hours ago – via Twitter ChristopherHine“

Copied from hoopshype

Anyone know what is the diagnosis? Broken rib, bruised ribs, punctured lung, muscle pull?

The Wolves originally said rib contusion. Then they updated it to rib sprain.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#649 » by TimberKat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:33 pm

winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:

Copied from hoopshype

Here is what Google said about rib sprain: occurs when one or more of these ribs are partially or completely pulled out of their normal position, causing damage to the surrounding tissues, ligaments.
So he could be out for a couple of weeks - depending on how bad the tissues and ligament damage were?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#650 » by winforlose » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:39 pm

TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:Anyone know what is the diagnosis? Broken rib, bruised ribs, punctured lung, muscle pull?

Here is what Google said about rib sprain: occurs when one or more of these ribs are partially or completely pulled out of their normal position, causing damage to the surrounding tissues, ligaments.
So he could be out for a couple of weeks - depending on how bad the tissues and ligament damage were?

Found this

https://www.findatopdoc.com/Healthy-Living/Sprained-Ribs
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#651 » by TimberKat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:20 pm

winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Found this

Holys*, it's 3 to 6 week to recover from grade 1. He has a batter chance to be ready for football with padding than for basketball.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#652 » by winforlose » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:36 pm

TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:Here is what Google said about rib sprain: occurs when one or more of these ribs are partially or completely pulled out of their normal position, causing damage to the surrounding tissues, ligaments.

Found this

Holys*, it's 3 to 6 week to recover from grade 1. He has a batter chance to be ready for football with padding than for basketball.

Key section of the article “ The severity of the rib sprain and the rate of healing will determine the type of rehabilitation program and the amount of time needed for recovery. For a mild rib sprain of grade I, full recovery may take 3-6 weeks. It may take 2-3 months recovery in people with moderate or grade II sprain, and a longer recovery time for grade III rib sprain. It may also take a year for people with sprained ribs to be able to return back to their sports activity.”

Also quoting grading section “ Severity of Sprained Ribs
A sprained rib can be graded as I, II or III depending on its severity:

Grade I - This rib sprain is mild. To some extent, the ligament tears or stretches. A person may have swelling or mild pain. However, no loss of function occurs.
Grade II - This rib sprain is moderate and occurs when the ligament stretches too much. The fibers tend to tear, but the ligament in this grade does not completely tear. There may be swelling and the pain experienced can be severe. Some loss of function also occurs.
Grade III - This rib sprain is severe. A person experiences severe symptoms and the ligaments completely tear. A person at this level may experience difficulty in breathing. Movement of the trunk also becomes difficult.”

It sounds like Rudy has a grade 2. That means full recovery would be 2-3 months. I expect him back before the playoffs, but I doubt he will be 100%.
shrink
RealGM

Post#653 » by shrink » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:07 pm

I wonder that Rudy’s injury might not be too severe, since MIN offered another 10-day to TJ Warren, rather than use the 15th spot for a center? Warren has been good but there were free agent bigs out there like Nerlens Noel, JaMychel Green, Rudy Gay and Derrick Favors. Maybe they assumed that these vets were too old to help. Conley would have instant familiarity with the last two.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#654 » by winforlose » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:14 pm

shrink wrote:I wonder that Rudy’s injury might not be too severe, since MIN offered another 10-day to TJ Warren, rather than use the 15th spot for a center? Warren has been good but there were free agent bigs out there like Nerlens Noel, JaMychel Green, Rudy Gay and Derrick Favors. Maybe they assumed that these vets were too old to help. Conley would have instant familiarity with the last two.

Shrink we still have a spot. We also the have money under the tax to sign a 15th.
shrink
RealGM

Post#655 » by shrink » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:26 pm

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:I wonder that Rudy’s injury might not be too severe, since MIN offered another 10-day to TJ Warren, rather than use the 15th spot for a center? Warren has been good but there were free agent bigs out there like Nerlens Noel, JaMychel Green, Rudy Gay and Derrick Favors. Maybe they assumed that these vets were too old to help. Conley would have instant familiarity with the last two.

Shrink we still have a spot. We also the have money under the tax to sign a 15th.

Oh you’re right! Our two-for-one for Monte Morris! I’ve been watching all season while Tim Connelly protected that 15th spot, and I have been watching for potential 10-days. Thanks W4L!

So if it wouldn’t even cost us re-signing Warren, it seems to point even more to Rudy being back sooner rather than later, right? But I haven’t watched any of those four players this year. Are they all done? No better than Luka Garza?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#656 » by winforlose » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:42 pm

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Oh you’re right! Our two-for-one for Monte Morris! I’ve been watching all season while Tim Connelly protected that 15th spot, and I have been watching for potential 10-days. Thanks W4L!

So if it wouldn’t even cost us re-signing Warren, it seems to point even more to Rudy being back sooner rather than later, right? But I haven’t watched any of those four players this year. Are they all done? No better than Luka Garza?

Garza cannot be a two way again after this year (at least not for us.) I think what we are doing is trying to evaluate him as a potential end of bench guy for next year. I would not be surprised to see some free agent C picked up soon if Garza continues to struggle.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#657 » by TimberKat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:24 pm

Note30 wrote:
You would foul him often he'd get the and 1 90% of the time. He'd have 60 every game.

My guy, he's just as if not much more athletic than Gobert.

He'd run the league like he did back in the day.

I post the same question on the General Board and I just put my latest opinion there. Basically, Shaq would be 95%-92% if he plays in today's NBA and I don't think he is much better on defense than Gobert.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#658 » by Note30 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:38 pm

TimberKat wrote:
Note30 wrote:
You would foul him often he'd get the and 1 90% of the time. He'd have 60 every game.

I post the same question on the General Board and I just put my latest opinion there. Basically, Shaq would be 95%-92% if he plays in today's NBA and I don't think he is much better on defense than Gobert.

And outside of 3 people, the majority agree Shaq would absolutely dominate.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#659 » by TimberKat » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:06 am

Note30 wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
Note30 wrote:

And outside of 3 people, the majority agree Shaq would absolutely dominate.

Yes, maybe outside of 4 people :D. Some have good argument why he would be great in this era but a lot of them are of the variety of "Shaq could easily avg 35 pts / 15 rebounds / 5 blocks per game" which of course is impossible. Mostly people remember the highlights and myths, not the entire game or career averages. I am sure Shaq will have games of 50 pts or 25 rebounds in today's NBA.
shrink
RealGM

Post#660 » by shrink » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:36 am

Would Shaq play 60 games, in today’s higher pace games?

I will say this about Shaq. In all the basketball I’ve watched, he’s one of three players I’ve ever seen that I thought, “there is no way to stop this guy!” Hack—Shaq came later. I’ve seen a few guys later that had the chance to be unstoppable, but they never get there, so I give Shaq his kudos as a player.

As an analyst though? Turrible.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves