ImageImageImage

The Official Rudy Gobert Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

The Official Rudy Gobert Thread 

Post#1 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jul 2, 2022 8:30 pm

I call him GoBear for fun, But I wouldn't spell his name wrong in the official thread.
We should continue discussing trade stuff in the other thread.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,471

Re: The Official Rudy Gobert Thread 

Post#2 » by winforlose » Sat Jul 2, 2022 8:44 pm

I just call him Rudy. The movie Rudy is all about this kid with big heart but no size trying to play football at Notre Dame. Calling Gobert Rudy (I know it is his first name,) kinda feels like calling a big guy tiny. Just works on many levels (like fewer characters to type.)
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 582

Post#3 » by TwolvesFanRome » Sat Jul 2, 2022 11:19 pm

Read on Twitter

The dude is ready 8-)
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
winforlose
General Manager

Post#4 » by winforlose » Sat Jul 2, 2022 11:40 pm

TwolvesFanRome wrote:
Read on Twitter

The dude is ready 8-)

The best offensive big in the modern era plus the best defensive big in the modern era united. You better believe all eyes are going north ;)
Wolves21
Sixth Man
And1: 400

Post#5 » by Wolves21 » Sun Jul 3, 2022 12:00 am

We got arguably one if not the best defense big in NBA history who just happens to be in his prime.I really think if this pair glees and is healthy we have a legit shot at a title.On paper this is the best Wolves team we've had,even better then KG/Cassell/Spreewell.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,978

Post#6 » by Nick K » Sun Jul 3, 2022 2:12 am

TwolvesFanRome wrote:
Read on Twitter

The dude is ready 8-)

They look great together.
Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 200

Post#7 » by Battletrigger » Sun Jul 3, 2022 1:44 pm

Wolves21 wrote:We got arguably one if not the best defense big in NBA history who just happens to be in his prime.I really think if this pair glees and is healthy we have a legit shot at a title.On paper this is the best Wolves team we've had,even better then KG/Cassell/Spreewell.

We don't have a player like KG, so game changer and pivotal to other teams. You can easily say that Ant and KAT are better than Cassell and Sprewell but not near KG level.

And I have my doubts about how we are going to play en the PO, Gobert has been exposed in PO before.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#8 » by Dewey » Sun Jul 3, 2022 1:51 pm

The tandem will be legit, plus I like the other small moves as well … Nowell prolly taking Beasley role, Moore pick is solid, kept McDaniels, added SloMo, and likely keeping Reid in the bench role. We will get a few more vet pieces…

Would like Beverly back but it’s likely that ship has sailed.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,712

Post#9 » by shrink » Sun Jul 3, 2022 2:05 pm

I just realized he came in 16th in All NBA voting.

If more voters get on board with putting MVP candidates Jokic and Embiid on the first team, it’s very possible we could have three All NBA players at this time next year.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#10 » by winforlose » Sun Jul 3, 2022 2:11 pm

shrink wrote:I just realized he came in 16th in All NBA voting.

If more voters get on board with putting MVP candidates Jokic and Embiid on the first team, it’s very possible we could have three All NBA players at this time next year.

Possible, but it would also raise Ants price tag at a time we don’t want it raised.
Battletrigger
Junior

Post#11 » by Battletrigger » Sun Jul 3, 2022 2:27 pm

winforlose wrote:

Possible, but it would also raise Ants price tag at a time we don’t want it raised.

That doesn't matter, Ant is clearly a max player.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#12 » by King Malta » Sun Jul 3, 2022 2:29 pm

If Ant is good enough to be all-NBA next season then we're a genuine contender with this roster.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#13 » by winforlose » Sun Jul 3, 2022 2:32 pm

Battletrigger wrote:
winforlose wrote:

You realize there is a max above the rookie max. 25% of cap is standard coming off first contract. For all star/all NBA the cost goes to 30%. I want Ant to play at that level this year, but it is important to note that proper recognition comes with a price tag.
Battletrigger
Junior

Post#14 » by Battletrigger » Sun Jul 3, 2022 2:52 pm

If Ant continues his progression I have no doubt that he is going to be an All NBA. Ant has one thing that players like Towns hasn't. He is magnetic and the press loves him, that makes your path easier.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#15 » by winforlose » Sun Jul 3, 2022 2:53 pm

Battletrigger wrote:If Ant continues his progression I have no doubt that he is going to be an All NBA. Ant has one thing that players like Towns hasn't. He is magnetic and the press loves him, that makes your path easier.

True. But his big test is staying healthy this year. Hope that knee is ready to go by start of camp.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#16 » by Krapinsky » Sun Jul 3, 2022 2:54 pm

David Locke, the radio announcer for the Jazz and big time Gobert fan, has a lot of good Jazz and Gobert content out there. Here is his reaction to the trade:

Some things stood out re Gobert. He believes he is too 5 most impactful player in the league and a team with Rudy has a 50 win floor.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,712

Post#17 » by shrink » Sun Jul 3, 2022 3:00 pm

winforlose wrote:
Battletrigger wrote:
winforlose wrote:

You realize there is a max above the rookie max. 25% of cap is standard coming off first contract. For all star/all NBA the cost goes to 30%. I want Ant to play at that level this year, but it is important to note that proper recognition comes with a price tag.

Thanks for the reminder.

You’re talking about the Derrick Rose rule, which allows a player coming off rookie scale to get a new max deal starting at 30%, rather than 25% of the max. It is rarely used, because it is so difficult to qualify for - or so I thought. I remember you have to be the MVP, or Defensive Player of the Year. However, I was unaware there is a third criteria that fits perfectly here - make All NBA twice.

Now, it’s really tough to make All NBA (not All Star) so quickly. There are only 15 spots, and voters usually give the nod to established stars over “promising young player.” You need to have established that you’re the real deal, probably during your sophomore season. In 2020-21, only one player on rookie scale was All NBA (Luka).

But Ant is rising fast, and MIN will get a lot more national attention this year. He’s good enough, smart enough, and dog gone it, people like him. Some established stars are getting older. There is a chance Ant could make All NBA this year and next. But if that happens, he is a true superstar, surpassing Gobert and Towns, and I’d happily be like KGB in Rounders .. “Pay that man his money!”

Good point, winforlose.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#18 » by moss_is_1 » Sun Jul 3, 2022 3:06 pm

Krapinsky wrote:Some things stood out re Gobert. He believes he is too 5 most impactful player in the league and a team with Rudy has a 50 win floor.

What a homer, Jazz only won 49 games last year.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 917

Post#19 » by jscott » Sun Jul 3, 2022 3:29 pm

shrink wrote:He’s good enough, smart enough, and dog gone it, people like him.

“Pay that man his money!”

Thank you for these lol
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#20 » by KGdaBom » Sun Jul 3, 2022 3:39 pm

Battletrigger wrote:
Wolves21 wrote:We got arguably one if not the best defense big in NBA history who just happens to be in his prime.I really think if this pair glees and is healthy we have a legit shot at a title.On paper this is the best Wolves team we've had,even better then KG/Cassell/Spreewell.

We don't have a player like KG, so game changer and pivotal to other teams. You can easily say that Ant and KAT are better than Cassell and Sprewell but not near KG level.

And I have my doubts about how we are going to play en the PO, Gobert has been exposed in PO before.

I call BS on GoBear being exposed ever. The only thing he's been exposed as being is a great player. However, I consider 2004 to be our most talented team ever because of KG and I don't even count Spreewell as part of a big three. That team had a big 2 Of KG and Cassell.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves