ImageImageImage

The Official Rudy Gobert Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 684

Re: The Official Rudy Gobert Thread 

Post#621 » by Movics » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:49 am

winforlose wrote:Rudy fined 100k for everything that happened in the Cavs game and after. Looks like no suspension.

The truth hurts. Of course he had to get the largest fine for a player for criticizing ref
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,471

Post#622 » by winforlose » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:53 am

Movics wrote:
winforlose wrote:Rudy fined 100k for everything that happened in the Cavs game and after. Looks like no suspension.

The truth hurts. Of course he had to get the largest fine for a player for criticizing ref

To be fair, it wasn’t his first. He also gave a pretty damning interview post game where he said that major sponsors of the NBA were corrupting the officiating and therefore the game.
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 684

Post#623 » by Movics » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:36 am

winforlose wrote:
Movics wrote:

To be fair, it wasn’t his first. He also gave a pretty damning interview post game where he said that major sponsors of the NBA were corrupting the officiating and therefore the game.

All of that is true, but I’ve never seen a player get fined for 6 digits. Spurs used to pay 250 for resting their best players on national tv games. Maybe if more than one player from the same franchise is critical of the refereeing, there’s something to it
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 414

Post#624 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:55 am

Rudy should use his brain before talking even if he tell the truth. First because it’s hurt the team, second he don’t have the capacity to change what the NBA is.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#625 » by Note30 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:47 am

Takes balls to say it out loud. I definitely respect him a whole lot more for it. **** the fine. Good on him.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#626 » by younggunsmn » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:49 am

I don't mind his post game comments but the technical foul cost us the game.
Save it for the post game.

It is indeed true that sports betting is a huge sponsor of the NBA and I really hadn't thought of that angle but it is indeed something that has been a big change the last 5-10 years with the increased relaxation of gambling laws.

But I still maintain my position that Scott Foster is one of the guys the league sends in when the league really wants a game rigged, and I think it's all about having a team at the top of the standings they really don't want there.
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior

Post#627 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:05 am

younggunsmn wrote:I don't mind his post game comments but the technical foul cost us the game.

It is indeed true that sports betting is a huge sponsor of the NBA and I really hadn't thought of that angle but it is indeed something that has been a big change the last 5-10 years with the increased relaxation of gambling laws.

But I still maintain my position that Scott Foster is one of the guys the league sends in when the league really wants a game rigged, and I think it's all about having a team at the top of the standings they really don't want there.

I totally agree with that. I would bet that 90 % of the Refs are honest, they just make mistake sometimes. But i would bet on the opposite way regarding Foster. The fact that this guy still in the league is a mystery for me, Silver should probably get new glasses...
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#628 » by younggunsmn » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:59 pm

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:I don't mind his post game comments but the technical foul cost us the game.

I totally agree with that. I would bet that 90 % of the Refs are honest, they just make mistake sometimes. But i would bet on the opposite way regarding Foster. The fact that this guy still in the league is a mystery for me, Silver should probably get new glasses...

To borrow a metaphor from the nerd world, it's a feature not a bug.
Completely intentional.
Not referees but Brand Managers.
Once you realize that everything makes perfect sense.

You only need one league office plant ref on the crew.
Foster made that last foul call on Gobert from like half court. It wasn't even his call to make.
Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 147

Post#629 » by Loaf_of_bread » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:03 am

Oh boy, shaq been talking mad hate on Rudy..
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior

Post#630 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:46 am

Shaq have never been very smart….
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,518

Post#631 » by TimberKat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:09 am

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:Shaq have never been very smart….

Most of the times I watch Bam, he was not very good. Davis has been a very good defender this year but don't feel he is better than Gobert.

Also make we wonder, if Shaq plays in the current era, how good is he? His offensive radius is about the same as Gobert but with better hands. Is he as good as Zion?
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#632 » by Note30 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:13 am

Loaf_of_bread wrote:Oh boy, shaq been talking mad hate on Rudy..

What did he say?
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

TimberKat
Analyst

Post#633 » by TimberKat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:23 am

Note30 wrote:
Loaf_of_bread wrote:Oh boy, shaq been talking mad hate on Rudy..

What did he say?

https://basketnews.com/news-203198-shaquille-oneal-explains-why-he-thinks-rudy-gobert-is-overrated.html
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#634 » by Note30 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:25 am

TimberKat wrote:

Most of the times I watch Bam, he was not very good. Davis has been a very good defender this year but don't feel he is better than Gobert.

Also make we wonder, if Shaq plays in the current era, how good is he? His offensive radius is about the same as Gobert but with better hands. Is he as good as Zion?

Never talk about basketball again. Is he as good as ZION? Are you insane?

Shaq was a guaranteed bucket. They changed rules for the man. He had more range and ability than Gobert and was far more skilled again.

To say that he would be anything less than an MVP is straight rubbish. The man was the definition of needs double teams.

You really don't understand, teams stocked their benches with extra centers, so they could toss them in to foul out.

That man was 7'1 and moved like he was 6'8. He was 330 and quicker than every big in the game today. He couldn't shoot threes but if they asked him to take shots at 10 ft on a screen and roll he for sure had enough range.

Any team he goes on today with a semi decent lead guard would immediately be a championship contender.

If prime Shaq joined ATL, DAL, or HOU, they would instantly be championship contenders. There is no center or big that could guard Shaq today. The nearest center in weight would probably be Jokic and Nurkic. HE WOULD HAVE OVER 70LBS ON THE AVERAGE CENTER. And he would still be faster than them.

I don't think you can possibly comprehend just how once in a lifetime player he is. He's just lazy and complacent and he was still a multi time MVP and FMVP.

TimberKat
Analyst

Post#635 » by TimberKat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:36 am

Note30 wrote:
TimberKat wrote:

Shaq was a guaranteed bucket. They changed rules for the man. He had more range and ability than Gobert and was far more skilled again.

To say that he would be anything less than an MVP is straight rubbish. The man was the definition of needs double teams.

You really don't understand, teams stocked their benches with extra centers, so they could toss them in to foul out.

That man was 7'1 and moved like he was 6'8. He was 330 and quicker than every big in the game today. He couldn't shoot threes but if they asked him to take shots at 10 ft on a screen and roll he for sure had enough range.

Any team he goes on today with a semi decent lead guard would immediately be a championship contender.

If prime Shaq joined ATL, DAL, or HOU, they would instantly be championship contenders. There is no center or big that could guard Shaq today. The nearest center in weight would probably be Jokic and Nurkic. HE WOULD HAVE OVER 70LBS ON THE AVERAGE CENTER. And he would still be faster than them.

I don't think you can possibly comprehend just how once in a lifetime player he is. He's just lazy and complacent and he was still a multi time MVP and FMVP.

sure, but he has a lifetime .582 FG% and a .527 FT%, I would foul him often and let him shoot from the FT line. Also, can he guard a small ball team shooting a lot of 3s? You notice how far out Gobert has to guard out to the perimeter these days. I am not saying he will suck but is he really going to be better, same, or worse in today's NBA.
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#636 » by Note30 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:11 pm

TimberKat wrote:
Note30 wrote:
TimberKat wrote:Most of the times I watch Bam, he was not very good. Davis has been a very good defender this year but don't feel he is better than Gobert.

sure, but he has a lifetime .582 FG% and a .527 FT%, I would foul him often and let him shoot from the FT line. Also, can he guard a small ball team shooting a lot of 3s? You notice how far out Gobert has to guard out to the perimeter these days. I am not saying he will suck but is he really going to be better, same, or worse in today's NBA.

You would foul him often he'd get the and 1 90% of the time. He'd have 60 every game.

My guy, he's just as if not much more athletic than Gobert.

He'd run the league like he did back in the day.

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,259

Post#637 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:43 pm

Orlando Shaq was unlike anyone else I've ever seen. I was courtside his first game at Target Center and he was almost impossible to believe. Dude was beating everyone down the floor - guards included. He dove for balls, he disrupted plays all over the court. If he played in today's game, I can almost guarantee he'd adapt. He had all the ability to extend himself out farther and both ends, but he didn't need to in those days.

If he was in his prime in this era, he probably grows up shooting 3s in addition to everything else. He'd be Embiid on steroids.

People that only remember "Lakers Shaq" saw a very different force. He was complacent (and still absolutely dominating). Dude used to wait until the season started to take care of injuries and slowly play his way into "shape". He was likely pushing 400 pounds when, with actual offseason work, he could've still been in the 325-350 range.

In a way, he coasted his way to greatness. If he took better care of himself, and took everything more seriously, he'd be in the GOAT conversation.
cmoss84
Junior
And1: 93

Post#638 » by cmoss84 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:36 pm

1) Shaq is probably a top 10 player of all time.
2) As an analyst, he seems board, uninterested, and like he doesn't want to be there.
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#639 » by Note30 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:18 pm

cmoss84 wrote:1) Shaq is probably a top 10 player of all time.
2) As an analyst, he seems board, uninterested, and like he doesn't want to be there.

I mean he coasted in his first career why would he do anything different in one that pays less.

Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#640 » by Note30 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:19 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:Orlando Shaq was unlike anyone else I've ever seen. I was courtside his first game at Target Center and he was almost impossible to believe. Dude was beating everyone down the floor - guards included. He dove for balls, he disrupted plays all over the court. If he played in today's game, I can almost guarantee he'd adapt. He had all the ability to extend himself out farther and both ends, but he didn't need to in those days.

If he was in his prime in this era, he probably grows up shooting 3s in addition to everything else. He'd be Embiid on steroids.

People that only remember "Lakers Shaq" saw a very different force. He was complacent (and still absolutely dominating). Dude used to wait until the season started to take care of injuries and slowly play his way into "shape". He was likely pushing 400 pounds when, with actual offseason work, he could've still been in the 325-350 range.

In a way, he coasted his way to greatness. If he took better care of himself, and took everything more seriously, he'd be in the GOAT conversation.

Even if he couldn't shoot threes he'd score a lot more on the bigs in this era.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves