ImageImageImage

Poll: Can Naz Reid play PF next to Gobert?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Should Naz play PF next to Rudy a C

Yes
46%
No
29%
Maybe
25%

Total votes: 28

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,496

Poll: Can Naz Reid play PF next to Gobert? 

Post#1 » by winforlose » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:51 am

It seems fairly certain that the plan is to use Anderson as KAT’s power forward when Rudy is on the bench. But when KAT is on the bench, the question is who should play next to Rudy. Is Naz an acceptable option?
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Re: Poll: Can Naz Reid play PF next to Gobert? 

Post#2 » by FinnTheHuman » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:29 am

winforlose wrote:It seems fairly certain that the plan is to use Anderson as KAT’s power forward when Rudy is on the bench. But when KAT is on the bench, the question is who should play next to Rudy. Is Naz an acceptable option?

We have 96 minutes to fill each game at PF and C slot. We could easily play KAT/Rudy/SloMo 32 minutes each. Like:
C: Gobert 32/KAT 16
PF: KAT 16/SloMo 32

But I assume it would be more like:
C: Gobert 32/KAT 6/Naz 10
PF: KAT 26/SloMo 22
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,776

Post#3 » by shrink » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:18 pm

I don’t think he’s a particularly good option, but I think many people can play PF if you have DPOY Gobert behind them.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#4 » by mplsfonz23 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:22 pm

Who is SloMo?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#5 » by winforlose » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:26 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Who is SloMo?

Kyle Anderson. His nickname is SloMo because other teams cannot speed him up, and because he manipulates pace to defeat defenses.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by mplsfonz23 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:38 pm

winforlose wrote:

Kyle Anderson. His nickname is SloMo because other teams cannot speed him up, and because he manipulates pace to defeat defenses.
Ok. I haven't followed him much. What does he bring to the team? Can't be his FT shooting. Great D?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#7 » by winforlose » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:44 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Ok. I haven't followed him much. What does he bring to the team? Can't be his FT shooting. Great D?

In theory he can defend 1-4 with a hint of 5 (not his strength to guard the 5,) has a solid handle, decent 3 point shooter for spacing, and adds a good locker room presence.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,981

Post#8 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:04 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

There's a lot of good info on him in his dedicated thread
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,981

Post#9 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:06 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
winforlose wrote:It seems fairly certain that the plan is to use Anderson as KAT’s power forward when Rudy is on the bench. But when KAT is on the bench, the question is who should play next to Rudy. Is Naz an acceptable option?

We have 96 minutes to fill each game at PF and C slot. We could easily play KAT/Rudy/SloMo 32 minutes each. Like:

I tend to agree this is most likely. We could also see Prince and McDaniels getting SF minutes in smaller lineups when necessary.

I think we will be more willing to run Naz out there at PF than previously, but it still won't be a main option in all likelihood.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by FinnTheHuman » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:07 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

He's like Joe Ingles with less shooting and more defense. He can attack off the dribble, pass etc. So basically he's capable of creating some offense, a point forward type of guy, secondary ball handler in the lineup. He's one of those guys who can attack at an extremely slow pace, yet make it effective.

Tjstangeland18
Ballboy
And1: 23

Post#11 » by Tjstangeland18 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:21 pm

Absolutely he can. So when Dlo and Gobert play the PnR game with Kat on the bench he will get many chances of hitting the 3 along with MCD while still offering size on the defensive end. Reid will be a good rotational option along with MCD, Prince and Anderson and be able to create mismatches.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,003

Post#12 » by wolves_89 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:15 pm

I still think there is a decent chance that Naz gets moved this offseason. The Wolves need add a backup center who can be successful playing drop coverage, so if they add that guy my guess is that Reid gets traded.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#13 » by winforlose » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:27 pm

wolves_89 wrote:I still think there is a decent chance that Naz gets moved this offseason. The Wolves need add a backup center who can be successful playing drop coverage, so if they add that guy my guess is that Reid gets traded.

To who? For what? Why? Naz is only 2 mil, not a lot of players we could trade him for. Maybe if we attach Prince, but now we need a backup SF and C.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#14 » by minimus » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:14 am

I wonder what type of improvement will Naz show this season. I remember he was slow, fat, weak but improved his body a lot during his first two years. Last season he was a big but he was bad at rebounding and boxing out, good at blocking shots, slashing (!!!). I wish was used more as screener / handoff big. And still believe he can be pretty good PnR /PnP big.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#15 » by Biff Cooper » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:47 am

I would be fine playing them together some. Reid is a good offensive player. Gobert is a good defensive player. Gobert is good at screening. Reid is good at scoring.

Definitely not as good a combination as Gobert and Towns, but I would think it is still an acceptable pairing.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:54 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

He's like Joe Ingles with less shooting and more defense. He can attack off the dribble, pass etc. So basically he's capable of creating some offense, a point forward type of guy, secondary ball handler in the lineup. He's one of those guys who can attack at an extremely slow pace, yet make it effective.

:lol:
Thanks. That made me smile. He travels a lot.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:42 pm

Klomp wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:

I tend to agree this is most likely. We could also see Prince and McDaniels getting SF minutes in smaller lineups when necessary.

I think we will be more willing to run Naz out there at PF than previously, but it still won't be a main option in all likelihood.

I assume you meant PF here?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#18 » by winforlose » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:49 am

Gonna bump this for posterity.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,919

Post#19 » by Colbinii » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:25 am

winforlose wrote:Gonna bump this for posterity.

It's good but Naz wasn't a reliable 3P shooter and was larger in 2022.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#20 » by winforlose » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:44 am

Colbinii wrote:
winforlose wrote:Gonna bump this for posterity.

It's good but Naz wasn't a reliable 3P shooter and was larger in 2022.

He definitely improved. That said ;),

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves