Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

New TV voice of the Wolves is Michael Grady 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:41 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Re: New TV voice of the Wolves is Michael Grady 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:41 pm

Choosing Grady falls in line with the vision new Wolves minority owners Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez — whose ties to the YES Network helped with homework on Grady as the Wolves waded through a mountain of resumes — have tried to instill since coming aboard. They have fostered a risk-taking ethos, as evidenced from the hiring of Tim Connelly to run the basketball operations and the heavily debated trade for Gobert. Bally and the Wolves decided to move on from Benz, a move met with strong pushback from fans who had grown accustomed to Benz and Jim Petersen calling games.

“I know the fans were upset with Dave Benz not being retained, but this is a best-case scenario,” Petersen said. “Ian Eagle, Sarah Kustok, Richard Jefferson are some of the nicest people in the league. They do an amazing job, and Michael Grady was a part of this team, which lends credibility to his intelligence, his knowledge of the NBA and his talent as a broadcaster in this league.”

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,455

Post#3 » by winforlose » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:53 pm

Klomp wrote:Choosing Grady falls in line with the vision new Wolves minority owners Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez — whose ties to the YES Network helped with homework on Grady as the Wolves waded through a mountain of resumes — have tried to instill since coming aboard. They have fostered a risk-taking ethos, as evidenced from the hiring of Tim Connelly to run the basketball operations and the heavily debated trade for Gobert. Bally and the Wolves decided to move on from Benz, a move met with strong pushback from fans who had grown accustomed to Benz and Jim Petersen calling games.

“I know the fans were upset with Dave Benz not being retained, but this is a best-case scenario,” Petersen said. “Ian Eagle, Sarah Kustok, Richard Jefferson are some of the nicest people in the league. They do an amazing job, and Michael Grady was a part of this team, which lends credibility to his intelligence, his knowledge of the NBA and his talent as a broadcaster in this league.”

Read on Twitter

All I can say is he better brush up on his Ant facts ;)
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,912

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:59 pm

You guys are getting a good, up and coming broadcast talent in Grady. An absolute professional, very magnetic personality and has a voice that comes through the TV as smooth as anyone you can find. Congrats T-Wolves fans, today is another sad day here in Brooklyn, but a happy one as well because Grady deserves to be a lead play by play caller.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,684

Post#5 » by shrink » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:18 pm

I doubt anyone remembers this, but all I could think of when I heard the news .. “Grady gonna get paid!”

winforlose
General Manager

Post#6 » by winforlose » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:21 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:You guys are getting a good, up and coming broadcast talent in Grady. An absolute professional, very magnetic personality and has a voice that comes through the TV as smooth as anyone you can find. Congrats T-Wolves fans, today is another sad day here in Brooklyn, but a happy one as well because Grady deserves to be a lead play by play caller.

He has big shoes to fill. Dave Benz was loved in Minnesota. I will keep an open mind and I legitimately hope Grady succeeds here. But it isn’t easy taking over for someone who was both beloved and got a raw deal.
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#7 » by MN7725 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:34 pm

He's pretty good, NY teams always have good TV

he called Kyrie's 60 pt game last season if you want to hear what he's like, bunch of videos on youtube of that game

there really aren't any bad play-by-play announcers, the broadcasts come down to the analysts. Jim is certainly near the top for that, I can't imagine having to listen to some of the guys like the Cavs or Rockets broadcasts
Zonarosa
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#8 » by Zonarosa » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:02 pm

benz seemed like a nice enough guy, but hot damn was he horrible.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,010

Post#9 » by Domejandro » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:13 pm

Dave Benz is a good dude, but not having “Ant Facts” ham-fisted into every single Anthony Edwards highlight by default makes this a tremendous upgrade.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#10 » by winforlose » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:20 pm

Domejandro wrote:Dave Benz is a good dude, but not having “Ant Facts” ham-fisted into every single Anthony Edwards highlight by default makes this a tremendous upgrade.

Benz brought a kind of goofy that played well off of Pete. He was no Hannie or Harlan, but he was still fun. He will be missed. They are trying to fix what wasn’t broken. Could be good, but I do feel bad for Grady stepping into the mess that was how they handled Benz.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#11 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:43 pm

It's an upgrade.

Benz was great for keeping a broadcast moving for a bad product. But he's more fluff than substance.

I have no doubts he's a terrific human being - he comes across as very warm and genuine. He's just not a great play-by-play guy.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#12 » by winforlose » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:10 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:It's an upgrade.

Benz was great for keeping a broadcast moving for a bad product. But he's more fluff than substance.

I have no doubts he's a terrific human being - he comes across as very warm and genuine. He's just not a great play-by-play guy.

Benz did not know much about basketball. He was the guy you use to track random streaks and stats and to give fun facts about opposing players. That said the nicknames, the ant facts, the catch phrases, and more all help keep the audience engaged. Ultimately it was the fit between Dave and Jim that will be missed most. If Grady can develop a chemistry with Jim it should be alright.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:17 pm

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:It's an upgrade.

Benz did not know much about basketball. He was the guy you use to track random streaks and stats and to give fun facts about opposing players. That said the nicknames, the ant facts, the catch phrases, and more all help keep the audience engaged. Ultimately it was the fit between Dave and Jim that will be missed most. If Grady can develop a chemistry with Jim it should be alright.

You just described a guy whose job is to keep an audience watching through a bad basketball game. We should strive for so much more than that.

I also think the onscreen chemistry between Jim and Dave felt like it was getting more than a little strained the past couple years.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,411

Post#14 » by Calinks » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:36 pm

I really liked Dave. I liked how interacted with fans (Jim does too) and hell, they are legends to me for reading my Obi-Wan Okogie tweet and using it a few times, that was amazing. I'm still sad to see Dave go and would have preferred to see him stay but everyone says this Grady dude is amazing.

I know there are a lot of wolves fans who didn't enjoy Benz, Grady may really be an upgrade and seems to be on a trajectory for big things. I'm excited to see what he brings while simultaneously still being bummed out about losing Benz the way we did.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,684

Post#15 » by shrink » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:46 pm

I liked Benz, but I’d be irate if they replaced JimPete. People around the country recognize him as one of the best at what he does.

I don’t like the way they axed Benz, but I that’s not Grady’s fault, so I will try to keep an open mind when I hear how the pair cover games.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#16 » by winforlose » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:52 pm

shrink wrote:I liked Benz, but I’d be irate if they replaced JimPete. People around the country recognize him as one of the best at what he does.

I don’t like the way they axed Benz, but I that’s not Grady’s fault, so I will try to keep an open mind when I hear how the pair cover games.

That’s what I mean when I say I don’t envy Grady having to be the one to replace Benz. I want him to do well, but it is a tough spot to be in.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:57 pm

shrink wrote:I liked Benz, but I’d be irate if they replaced JimPete. People around the country recognize him as one of the best at what he does.

Wasn't his contract up?
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

New TV voice of the Wolves is Michael Grady 

Post#18 » by Paradise » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:19 pm

You guys will love his personality and infectious smile with postgame interviews. Players loved interviewing with him.

He’s definitely going to grow into a top tier play by play commentator in the league. You guys are building the right way.

This was his final regular season broadcast for us:

Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,978

Post#19 » by Nick K » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:15 pm

shrink wrote:I doubt anyone remembers this, but all I could think of when I heard the news .. “Grady gonna get paid!”

Outstanding. Brings back good memories of a really funny show.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,978

Post#20 » by Nick K » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:23 pm

winforlose wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Dave Benz is a good dude, but not having “Ant Facts” ham-fisted into every single Anthony Edwards highlight by default makes this a tremendous upgrade.

Benz brought a kind of goofy that played well off of Pete. He was no Hannie or Harlan, but he was still fun. He will be missed. They are trying to fix what wasn’t broken. Could be good, but I do feel bad for Grady stepping into the mess that was how they handled Benz.

That's not what's happening here. Benz wasn't broken but he was average. He's a likeable nice guy who did a decent job but the new Wolves ownership wants sensational and personality. I think they get that with this young and upcoming star.

I really like the move.

One great move after another from this amazing new ownership. I've never seen anything like it. After over 30 years of ho-hum, plain vanilla decisions, I'm blown away. The season can't start soon enough.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves