Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,455

Re: New TV voice of the Wolves is Michael Grady 

Post#21 » by winforlose » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:36 pm

Nick K wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Dave Benz is a good dude, but not having “Ant Facts” ham-fisted into every single Anthony Edwards highlight by default makes this a tremendous upgrade.

Benz brought a kind of goofy that played well off of Pete. He was no Hannie or Harlan, but he was still fun. He will be missed. They are trying to fix what wasn’t broken. Could be good, but I do feel bad for Grady stepping into the mess that was how they handled Benz.

That's not what's happening here. Benz wasn't broken but he was average. He's a likeable nice guy who did a decent job but the new Wolves ownership wants sensational and personality. I think they get that with this young and upcoming star.

I really like the move.

One great move after another from this amazing new ownership. I've never seen anything like it. After over 30 years of ho-hum, plain vanilla decisions, I'm blown away. The season can't start soon enough.

I will give the new guy a chance I said as much above and I mean it. That said neither Hannie nor Harlan were ho-hum. Both were excellent at their jobs.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,978

Post#22 » by Nick K » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:58 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:It's an upgrade.

Benz was great for keeping a broadcast moving for a bad product. But he's more fluff than substance.

I have no doubts he's a terrific human being - he comes across as very warm and genuine. He's just not a great play-by-play guy.

Benz did not know much about basketball. He was the guy you use to track random streaks and stats and to give fun facts about opposing players. That said the nicknames, the ant facts, the catch phrases, and more all help keep the audience engaged. Ultimately it was the fit between Dave and Jim that will be missed most. If Grady can develop a chemistry with Jim it should be alright.

You just described a guy whose job is to keep an audience watching through a bad basketball game. We should strive for so much more than that.

I also think the onscreen chemistry between Jim and Dave felt like it was getting more than a little strained the past couple years.

Yep. I think you kind of nailed it.

Michael Grady is much more like Kevin Harlan who was easily the best we ever had. He and Jim Pete will be great together.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#23 » by urinesane » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:15 pm

Domejandro wrote:Dave Benz is a good dude, but not having “Ant Facts” ham-fisted into every single Anthony Edwards highlight by default makes this a tremendous upgrade.

This x1000.

Nice guy, but was cornier than Nebraskan farmer turds.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,978

Post#24 » by Nick K » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:15 pm

winforlose wrote:
Nick K wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Benz brought a kind of goofy that played well off of Pete. He was no Hannie or Harlan, but he was still fun. He will be missed. They are trying to fix what wasn’t broken. Could be good, but I do feel bad for Grady stepping into the mess that was how they handled Benz.

That's not what's happening here. Benz wasn't broken but he was average. He's a likeable nice guy who did a decent job but the new Wolves ownership wants sensational and personality. I think they get that with this young and upcoming star.

I really like the move.

One great move after another from this amazing new ownership. I've never seen anything like it. After over 30 years of ho-hum, plain vanilla decisions, I'm blown away. The season can't start soon enough.

I will give the new guy a chance I said as much above and I mean it. That said neither Hannie nor Harlan were ho-hum. Both were excellent at their jobs.

My ho-hum comment was directed at the Wolves organization not the broadcasters.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,411

Post#25 » by Calinks » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:23 pm

Some responses to the news from Nets reddit fans.

We really can't ***** have anything can we

This offseason just keeps finding ways to twist the knife.

The most devastating loss all season and off season

Great energy and incredible voice. He only did play-by-play occasionally the last couple years, so he was still growing into it, but he definitely has a ton of potential to grow into a top full time guy.

In all seriousness, Grady has been amazing since arriving in BK and super excited for him on this new opportunity
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 678

Post#26 » by Movics » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:43 pm

Great voice, he’s already got Benz beat in that department. I’m sure Grady will make us forget about Dave as the team is racking up wins after wins and we’ll associate his voice with success. Can’t wait for the season
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#27 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:56 pm

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:I liked Benz, but I’d be irate if they replaced JimPete. People around the country recognize him as one of the best at what he does.

I don’t like the way they axed Benz, but I that’s not Grady’s fault, so I will try to keep an open mind when I hear how the pair cover games.

That’s what I mean when I say I don’t envy Grady having to be the one to replace Benz. I want him to do well, but it is a tough spot to be in.

Why is it a tough spot? He just has to be better than Benz. That's not a high bar.

I get that Benz has fans, but he's not some Paul Bunyan folk hero to the state of Minnesota. He's a likable guy without a ton of basketball knowledge and he didn't provide a lot of depth or substance.

He has some of the warmth of a Hanneman type, but Tom had an underlying level of gravitas beneath the laugh and smile.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#28 » by winforlose » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:02 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:I liked Benz, but I’d be irate if they replaced JimPete. People around the country recognize him as one of the best at what he does.

I don’t like the way they axed Benz, but I that’s not Grady’s fault, so I will try to keep an open mind when I hear how the pair cover games.

That’s what I mean when I say I don’t envy Grady having to be the one to replace Benz. I want him to do well, but it is a tough spot to be in.

Why is it a tough spot? He just has to be better than Benz. That's not a high bar.

I get that Benz has fans, but he's not some Paul Bunyan folk hero to the state of Minnesota. He's a likable guy without a ton of basketball knowledge and he didn't provide a lot of depth or substance.

He has some of the warmth of a Hanneman type, but Tom had an underlying level of gravitas beneath the laugh and smile.

Benz might not have been perfect, but I do believe he was well liked. When you replace a guy who is well liked who lost his job through no fault of his own, some people who were fans of Benz will be harsh critics. It is different if Benz retired, or took a job elsewhere, or wanted a break. That just didn’t happen here.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#29 » by KGdaBom » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:11 pm

I won't even notice he's there. I'm locked into watching the game. I mean I want somebody decent broadcasting it, but other than that I don't care about the announcers.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,685

Post#30 » by shrink » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:18 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I won't even notice he's there. I'm locked into watching the game. I mean I want somebody decent broadcasting it, but other than that I don't care about the announcers.

So on your own, you’re just going to keep track of the number of times the score was tied? :wink:
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#31 » by KGdaBom » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:24 pm

shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I won't even notice he's there. I'm locked into watching the game. I mean I want somebody decent broadcasting it, but other than that I don't care about the announcers.

So on your own, you’re just going to keep track of the number of times the score was tied? :wink:

Nope that's another thing I'm not going to know even if he tells me because I won't care and it will go in one ear and out the other.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#32 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:53 pm

Calinks wrote:I really liked Dave. I liked how interacted with fans (Jim does too) and hell, they are legends to me for reading my Obi-Wan Okogie tweet and using it a few times, that was amazing. I'm still sad to see Dave go and would have preferred to see him stay but everyone says this Grady dude is amazing.

Sounds like Grady is good at this. Talks about it about 6-7 minutes in.

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Zonarosa
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#33 » by Zonarosa » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:36 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Bingo.
Zonarosa
Sophomore

Post#34 » by Zonarosa » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:41 am

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Benz might not have been perfect, but I do believe he was well liked. When you replace a guy who is well liked who lost his job through no fault of his own, some people who were fans of Benz will be harsh critics. It is different if Benz retired, or took a job elsewhere, or wanted a break. That just didn’t happen here.

it’s not like they cut him with time left on his deal. his deal was over. they chose not to renew it. it’s part of working on a contractual basis, and even benz has managed to acknowledge that.
Zonarosa
Sophomore

Post#35 » by Zonarosa » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:45 am

this too. the only time i really notice anything in regards to commentary is if something is flubbed completely, and that happened a lot with benz. far more than it should have, and it’s even more apparent when you’ve got an awkward silence from jim because he doesn’t know how to respond.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#36 » by winforlose » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:46 am

Zonarosa wrote:
winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

it’s not like they cut him with time left on his deal. his deal was over. they chose not to renew it. it’s part of working on a contractual basis, and even benz has managed to acknowledge that.

Yet there was still a petition and a loyal fan following. I am not saying Grady is doomed, just that it is a little rougher stepping into the shoes of someone who didn’t want to give them up, and did nothing to merit losing them.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#37 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:52 am

winforlose wrote:
Zonarosa wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Yet there was still a petition and a loyal fan following. I am not saying Grady is doomed, just that it is a little rougher stepping into the shoes of someone who didn’t want to give them up, and did nothing to merit losing them.

There are petitions for everything. Anytime a TV show gets cancelled or they stop making someone's favorite candy bar...

It's the same people that were "outraged" when Ryan got fired.

All he has to do is be good at his job (and by all accounts, he's very good) and he'll win everyone over.
Zonarosa
Sophomore

Post#38 » by Zonarosa » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:55 am

winforlose wrote:
Zonarosa wrote:
winforlose wrote:

a petition of 7k people in a market of, what, 2 million? first it was a realgm poll of a dozen people, and now this. you put way too much stock in very limited amounts of data.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#39 » by winforlose » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:07 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Zonarosa wrote:

There are petitions for everything. Anytime a TV show gets cancelled or they stop making someone's favorite candy bar...

All he has to do is be good at his job (and by all accounts, he's very good) and he'll win everyone over.

This is for Zona too, I honestly don’t know why we are still talking about this. What I said is common sense. It is easier to start a performance job when the predecessor wanted to leave or was no longer available. It doesn’t mean he will be bad or fail, or that he cannot win people over. Of course all he has to do is be good at his job. The bar is always going to be the guy you replaced. The only difference is the bias of the people who wish the previous guy wasn’t replaced. I think you guys are exaggerating my position. I even said I hope Grady does well.
Zonarosa
Sophomore

Post#40 » by Zonarosa » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:45 am

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:

This is for Zona too, I honestly don’t know why we are still talking about this. What I said is common sense. It is easier to start a performance job when the predecessor wanted to leave or was no longer available. It doesn’t mean he will be bad or fail, or that he cannot win people over. Of course all he has to do is be good at his job. The bar is always going to be the guy you replaced. The only difference is the bias of the people who wish the previous guy wasn’t replaced. I think you guys are exaggerating my position. I even said I hope Grady does well.

you're using a petition with 7,000 signatures in a market of 2,000,000 to project some belief that benz had majority support. you can't possibly make that case. it's ridiculous.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves