Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Re: We got Luka (Garza)! 

Post#21 » by Dewey » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:47 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

He could teach him how to KO green when they play the warriors
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,056

Post#22 » by shrink » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:57 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nice find! And the video underneath that is great too, with Garza explaining it.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,774

Post#23 » by Clav » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:23 am

That's pretty cool if Money Mayweather thinks you're a hooper. Especially when Garza is not a household name.

Maybe Floyd will visit & show out for some games in the Target Center
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,197

Post#24 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:12 pm

Just realized we announced his signing three days after this video.

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,639

Post#25 » by winforlose » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:09 pm

Klomp wrote:Just realized we announced his signing three days after this video.

Read on Twitter

You could be forgiven for mistaking Garza for Doncic with shooting like that. On the other hand, highlight reels have the benefit of excluding the lowlights. I kinda wish we could see him defend some drives, and use his length to block a shot or two. Luka looks like the next Naz Reid.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,624

Post#26 » by TimberKat » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:21 pm

Clav wrote:That's pretty cool if Money Mayweather thinks you're a hooper. Especially when Garza is not a household name.

Maybe Floyd will visit & show out for some games in the Target Center

One more reason to keep him. Get some national attention. :D
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Klomp » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:26 am

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 1,915

Post#28 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:24 pm

This has the potential to be a very interesting signing in case of injuries. Was nice to see him in pre-season, real flexible game.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#29 » by winforlose » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:38 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:This has the potential to be a very interesting signing in case of injuries. Was nice to see him in pre-season, real flexible game.

I really think it is more than that. Luka checks a lot of the same boxes that Naz checks. I think this is step one in replacing Naz. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Luka get promoted to the main roster either this year or next year depending on the Naz situation.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Klomp » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:48 pm

winforlose wrote:
Shaka_Zulu wrote:This has the potential to be a very interesting signing in case of injuries. Was nice to see him in pre-season, real flexible game.

I really think it is more than that. Luka checks a lot of the same boxes that Naz checks. I think this is step one in replacing Naz. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Luka get promoted to the main roster either this year or next year depending on the Naz situation.

Very much agreed. Between Knight and Garza, someone will be able to pick up the slack.

moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#31 » by moss_is_1 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:01 pm

He definitely has put the work in to transform his game a bit more to suit the NBA. He was impressive in preseason and glad he earned a shot.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#32 » by Biff Cooper » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:34 pm

Had to get Garza at least a 2-way deal. Best of luck to A.J. Lawson.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Klomp » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:39 pm

Don't underestimate the impact someone like Garza even can have on the bottom line for the G League. Of course it's not just about making money and they wouldn't do this if they didn't think he could play, but they're already building Iowa ticket packages in his honor. People will go to Iowa games just to see Garza, I'd guarantee it.

Read on Twitter

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Klomp » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:39 pm

Read on Twitter

winforlose
General Manager

Post#35 » by winforlose » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:52 pm

If in theory Minott eventually replaces Prince, Moore replaces JMAC, and Garza replaces Naz, this year would be the best by any Wolves FO since 2019 when we added Naz, JMAC, Nowell, and set the stage for the eventual Culver for Bev for Rudy trade. That is before even mentioning bringing in guys like Anderson, Forbes, Rivers and Paschall to add another layer of depth to a contending top 5. Garza is one piece of a puzzle like any young player, but he also represents a graduation from little league puzzles to the real deal.
shrink
RealGM

Post#36 » by shrink » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:55 pm

Klomp wrote:Don't underestimate the impact someone like Garza even can have on the bottom line for the G League. Of course it's not just about making money and they wouldn't do this if they didn't think he could play, but they're already building Iowa ticket packages in his honor. People will go to Iowa games just to see Garza, I'd guarantee it.

This is so true. I grew up in Iowa, and what many in Minnesota might not realize, is that the Hawkeyes (and to a lesser extent, the Cyclones), are bigger there than maybe even the Vikings are here. All the Iowa kids grow up wearing black and gold, people drive from all over the state to watch games (and to any of their road games). Twin Cities residents enjoy the Gophers but they also have access to all four major sports. With Garza, we might see sell outs of G-League games in Des Moines, and if he ever gets called up, he might even add to ticket sales for the Wolves too, from an Iowa fanbase.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#37 » by winforlose » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:12 pm

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:Don't underestimate the impact someone like Garza even can have on the bottom line for the G League. Of course it's not just about making money and they wouldn't do this if they didn't think he could play, but they're already building Iowa ticket packages in his honor. People will go to Iowa games just to see Garza, I'd guarantee it.

This is so true. I grew up in Iowa, and what many in Minnesota might not realize, is that the Hawkeyes (and to a lesser extent, the Cyclones), are bigger there than maybe even the Vikings are here. All the Iowa kids grow up wearing black and gold, people drive from all over the state to watch games (and to any of their road games). Twin Cities residents enjoy the Gophers but they also have access to all four major sports. With Garza, we might see sell outs of G-League games in Des Moines, and if he ever gets called up, he might even add to ticket sales for the Wolves too, from an Iowa fanbase.

How was Iowa ticket sales last year? Or is it more or if you build it they will come bandwagon thing?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:16 pm

winforlose wrote:How was Iowa ticket sales last year? Or is it more or if you build it they will come bandwagon thing?

Unfortunately there's no real way to track this

winforlose
General Manager

Post#39 » by winforlose » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:28 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:How was Iowa ticket sales last year? Or is it more or if you build it they will come bandwagon thing?

Unfortunately there's no real way to track this

Can we eyeball it from the video broadcasts, or do they not show the crowd? (Honest question as I have only seen highlights from Iowa.)
shrink
RealGM

Post#40 » by shrink » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:41 pm

Ha! Well, like most places, football is still king, and Iowa is no exception. And the different sizes of arenas and stadiums make comparisons impossible (if I recall, both Ohio State and Michigan have stadiums that seat over 100.000 fans). Basketball arenas are the same. But another cultural difference I’ve noticed is that when it gets cold, Iowans go inside and many Minnesotans go out and play! This puts agrarian Iowa fans in front of their TV’s watching college sports, and makes them economically one of the best traveling fanbases for bowl games.

G-League attendance is generally pretty low everywhere. Maybe Wembo will change that. In the meantime, I think the immense popularity of Garza in Iowa will get his fans to notice the G-League, and probably attend games that they may have never considered before.

EDIT: I now realize you were talking about Iowa, the G League team, not Iowa, the University where Garza also played.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves