We got Luka (Garza)!

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Re: We got Luka (Garza)! 

Post#121 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:02 am

KGdaBom wrote:I found the G League career stats and Luka isn't yet anywhere close to being the record holder. For his sake I hope most of the rest of his career is in the NBA and he doesn't get a chance at the G League records. Some guy named Renaldo Major dominates.
https://stats.gleague.nba.com/alltime/
Here's Luka's Stats.
https://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/1630568/

Just doesn't have enough career games down there.

But he averaged 31.2 points last year. Extrapolate over a full year, and he's among the very best ever.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/leaders/pts_per_g_yearly.html
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#122 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:41 am

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I found the G League career stats and Luka isn't yet anywhere close to being the record holder. For his sake I hope most of the rest of his career is in the NBA and he doesn't get a chance at the G League records. Some guy named Renaldo Major dominates.
Here's Luka's Stats.

But he averaged 31.2 points last year. Extrapolate over a full year, and he's among the very best ever.

Yep I know that. That's why I'm hoping he never gets enough G League games to have a shot at those records.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,978

Post#123 » by Nick K » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:15 am

KGdaBom wrote:I'm watching the Wolves Knicks game with the Knicks announcers. They just called Luka "Wally's Twin". I guess I wasn't crazy at least in this one instance.

:lol:
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,978

Post#124 » by Nick K » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:31 am

Klomp wrote:
Here's Luka's Stats.

I like that extrapolate myself. :)
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,733

Post#125 » by shrink » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:02 am

I’m hearing Luka is at 6% body fat?!? Is that true?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#126 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:21 am

shrink wrote:I’m hearing Luka is at 6% body fat?!? Is that true?

I believe so
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM

Post#127 » by shrink » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:08 pm

I’m sure somewhere back in this thread I mentioned how hard Garza works, on and off the court - both here and back in college.

I’ve been catching up on my podcasts, and it was nice to hear that one of the reasons they like him here is that his hard work sets a good example for other teammates - ones that are more athletically gifted and have a higher ceiling.

Now, that doesn’t mean I don’t think we should trade him. I love the guy, but I’d like to see him go to a team where he can have a legitimate NBA career (and the Wolves profit!). But his work ethic might be an added selling point, particularly to a young, talented team with a no-nonsense coach.
shrink
RealGM

Post#128 » by shrink » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:49 am

So I was watching that “Raised By Wolves” commercial that Bally Sports runs all the time. They start with KAT and Ant, and it has clips of our top seven rotation … and Luka Garza!

This just shows how popular Luka is, if they think putting him in the commercial will help sell tickets! I have to wonder about other teams, about how many other guys on TWO WAY DEALS are in their team’s ads?!?
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,474

Post#129 » by winforlose » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:59 pm

Given our limited roster space and very limited cap room both this year and the next two years with Gobert, do people expect Luka to get converted this year? If yes do you think it will be the 4 year Minott/Naz contract?
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,518

Post#130 » by TimberKat » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:02 pm

I am wondering if we could send him to Euro league to play against better competition. If we trade KA for a PG, I can see him get some minutes at PF
winforlose
General Manager

Post#131 » by winforlose » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:08 pm

TimberKat wrote:I am wondering if we could send him to Euro league to play against better competition. If we trade KA for a PG, I can see him get some minutes at PF

I don’t think either league would let us. If we somehow could, it would still require a roster spot. Also worth mentioning that the Minnesota Wolves control the Iowa Wolves to a very large extent. Iowa runs similar actions and use similar schemes. The value of this is to help make the players integrate better with the NBA team. Luka playing in Europe would be a different style and scheme and would make it hard to transition back to the NBA.

End of the day we can convert him whenever. He gets cheaper each game we wait. But, we must carry 14 roster players at all times (can have 13 days with 13,) so any consolidation moves at the deadline require a new signing.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,260

Post#132 » by BlacJacMac » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:08 pm

winforlose wrote:Given our limited roster space and very limited cap room both this year and the next two years with Gobert, do people expect Luka to get converted this year? If yes do you think it will be the 4 year Minott/Naz contract?

If he gets a 4 year deal, I’d imagine the last 2 would have to be team options.

I root for him, but I’m not at all convinced he’s a rotational player.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#133 » by winforlose » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:10 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:Given our limited roster space and very limited cap room both this year and the next two years with Gobert, do people expect Luka to get converted this year? If yes do you think it will be the 4 year Minott/Naz contract?

Defense?
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,260

Post#134 » by BlacJacMac » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:54 pm

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Defense?

Its so bad. And its not just the lack of physical ability. The kid has never seen a rotation he couldn't miss.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#135 » by winforlose » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:12 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Defense?

Its so bad. And its not just the lack of physical ability. The kid has never seen a rotation he couldn't miss.

That is my worry as well. Still, for a 3rd string big on a very cheap deal, his offense might be good enough to make him roster worthy. I mean GSW, LAC, and other super tax teams all have a few cheap young bodies that might have a good night if you’re desperate enough to use them.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#136 » by minimus » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:48 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Talentwise he might be the worst defender at С position in NBA. But, he gives damn effort every night! Also he clean the glass, finishes around the rim, he runs hard and sets good screens (although he tends to set moving screens). He needs to make those open 3s though.
shrink
RealGM

Post#137 » by shrink » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:18 pm

And you can’t complain about his work ethic or his teamwork, even when he isn’t in games.

"I think a little bit is I gotta trust myself and be confident within myself on that end. I’ve worked really hard on my feet, my movement, my strength, everything. I think you saw in the second half I used it a little bit more than I did in the first half. I was giving him a little too much respect in the first half. But I think there’s another level I can get to. I know I’m going to get there because I’m going to work as hard as I can to improve myself on that end. I just want to be able to go out there and be a solid defender, and then make up for everything on the offensive end. Because I know, no matter what, if I go out there, I’m going to score the ball, and when the ball is in my hand I’m going to make the right play."
winforlose
General Manager

Post#138 » by winforlose » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:31 pm

Luka has been converted. He is now playoff eligible. Also our roster is now complete. Though we could sign another 2 way player.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275198/Wolves-Convert-Luka-Garza-From-Two-Way-To-Standard-NBA-Deal
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#139 » by shangrila » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:49 pm

Congrats to him.

I'll be honest, I still don't think he's a long term NBA player. Or at least not someone you can put in a winning team's rotation. But can't deny the work ethic and it's paid off for him.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#140 » by Worm Guts » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:35 pm

shangrila wrote:Congrats to him.

I'll be honest, I still don't think he's a long term NBA player. Or at least not someone you can put in a winning team's rotation. But can't deny the work ethic and it's paid off for him.

I think he's a very capable offensive player. That's worth more in some circumstances than others.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves