ImageImageImage

Anthony Edwards Thread: Part Two (Read First Post)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,888

Re: Anthony Edwards Thread: Part Two (Read First Post) 

Post#721 » by Colbinii » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:54 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:I don't think anyone imagined he would be this good.

I may be in the minority then.

What were others thinking he'd become? Do you not envision a the first overall pick becoming a star?

Not every 1st round pick is created equal.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/anthony-edwards/

Dominique Wilkins, Victor Oladipo, Jaylen Brown

These are the types of players who were thrown around for his realistic, higher-end outcome. Basically a solid #2 option on a true title contender, a #1 on a middling team.

Edwards never showed this vision or passing as a prospect. He never showed this defensive intensity or skill either. Remember his rookie season and even in 2022 he looked "lost" defensively. That's completely gone now.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 212

Post#722 » by frankenwolf » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:54 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

I may be in the minority.

What were others thinking he'd become? When you think No. 1 overall pick should you not be envisioning a star?

I agree, definitely a star. However, superstar??? Not coming out of Georgia at the time. I would have been happy with a star. With Ant, I'm ecstatic and looking forward to the next 20 years ( ok, 15) and watching what he becomes. Will my grandchildren talk about Ant the way I talk about MJ??
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,688

Post#723 » by shrink » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:04 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

Do you not envision a the first overall pick becoming a star?

What were others thinking he'd become?

The 2020 draft wasn’t supposed to have gaga top picks, and there was great debate whether Edwards, Wiseman, or LaMelo Ball would be the right pick. Personally, I was worried about Ball because of his father (turned out to not be an issue), and worried about Ant because he was so raw and the pre-draft stuff about his lack of desire (turned out completely the opposite!). I was in favor of trading down to #2 to GSW (who seemed to favor Wiseman), and if they took him, even trade down again to #3 for more assets, since I didn’t have a clear favorite between Ant and Ball.

I was totally wrong. I was hoping Ant (or Ball) might become a borderline All Star in five years or so, once the older talent left and created some openings. And that was just a hope. Today’s “Face of the League” forecasts and straight-faced comparisons to Michael freakin Jordan was never what I envisioned!

I feel so lucky Rosas picked him, and I to get to watch him play for my favorite team, and dream about what he can become.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#724 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:15 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

I thought his upside was Jason Richardson. Stronger and faster than most guys he'd be up against, but not a superstar.

And Richardson was really good. At his best he was 23/6/4 with 2 stocks. And a career 37% 3PT shooter.

But he's blown past him and dunked on his head.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#725 » by Baseline81 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:31 pm

Colbinii wrote:Not every 1st round pick is created equal.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/anthony-edwards/

Dominique Wilkins, Victor Oladipo, Jaylen Brown

These are the types of players who were thrown around for his realistic, higher-end outcome. Basically a solid #2 option on a true title contender, a #1 on a middling team.

Edwards never showed this vision or passing as a prospect. He never showed this defensive intensity or skill either. Remember his rookie season and even in 2022 he looked "lost" defensively. That's completely gone now.

Regarding the first underline, you can never take comps seriously. NBADraft.net compared DeShawn Stevenson to Michael Jordan. Do I have to say more?

Wilkins wasn't a 3-point shooter. In college, Edwards averaged 7.7 3PA per game. Oladipo was known more for his defense than offense (average 13.6 PPG his junior season). Brown's the best of the ones listed simply because he struggled his lone season at Cal, much like Ant at Georgia.

The second underline is not true. His college coach, Tom Crean, stated Edwards had every tool you could want. The issue, of course, was consistency. Go back and watch his college games. He exploded for 37 points against No. 3 Michigan State at the Maui Jim Maui Invitational. He led his team in steals (12 games) and blocks (9 games). While you're at it, numerous YouTube draft channels discussed how he didn't bring it repeatedly, but the skills were always there. When you combine that with his athleticism, body and later start playing basketball, it seemed obvious at the time. As a prospect, he was the perfect clay to be molded.

And let's be honest, there are still a few stragglers who believe Ryan Saunders is a good coach, but he was not what Edwards needed to start his professional career. Under Finch...
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#726 » by Klomp » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:48 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:

I thought his upside was Jason Richardson. Stronger and faster than most guys he'd be up against, but not a superstar.

And Richardson was really good. At his best he was 23/6/4 with 2 stocks. And a career 37% 3PT shooter.

But he's blown past him and dunked on his head.

I always thought Vince was a pretty realistic comp for him.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,871

Post#727 » by life_saver » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:34 am

Pretty detailed segment on Ant's growth this year

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#728 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:33 am

They talked about this, and it's wild that he might end up fringe FIRST TEAM all-NBA!
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 414

Post#729 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:20 am

Ant is becoming the superstar we expect him to be. The next step will be to improve ball handling and also to manage his energy during a game. You can’t be 100% all the time but you have to stand up at crutch. Sometimes Ant is just too generous ànd run out of gas. But that’s a really small issue to manage specially at 22.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,494

Post#730 » by TimberKat » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:36 pm

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:Ant is becoming the superstar we expect him to be. The next step will be to improve ball handling and also to manage his energy during a game. You can’t be 100% all the time but you have to stand up at crutch. Sometimes Ant is just too generous ànd run out of gas. But that’s a really small issue to manage specially at 22.

I would like to see him better at involving his teammates and less spectacular moves. The block and the dunk were great but also dangerous.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#731 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:56 pm

This was a great monologue

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#732 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:50 pm

Read on Twitter

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#733 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:44 pm

Read on Twitter

younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#734 » by younggunsmn » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:16 pm

I don't know many of you are old enough to remember Isaiah Rider, but he had the same combo of size + skill + freakish athleticism when he came into the league. But he had nothing between the ears and loved weed more than basketball and other than winning a dunk contest he was never more than a mediocre shooting guard.

All credit to Ant for the mountains of hard work, positive attitude, and receptiveness to coaching.
That and the seemingly bottomless fountain of energy and next-play attitude have made him what he is.

The scary thing is that he still has so much room for improvement.
His craftiness with his dribble and around the basket, with the hesitation moves, have been a revelation this year.
Nobody in the game is doing stuff like that at his level right now.

Before the draft, I was not a fan of the way he played in college with so much hero ball.
That and the awful nationally televised workout he had where he looked out of shape and shot poorly also gave me doubts.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,544

Post#735 » by WolfAddict » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:21 pm

younggunsmn wrote:I don't know many of you are old enough to remember Isaiah Rider, but he had the same combo of size + skill + freakish athleticism when he came into the league. But he had nothing between the ears and loved weed more than basketball and other than winning a dunk contest he was never more than a mediocre shooting guard.

All credit to Ant for the mountains of hard work, positive attitude, and receptiveness to coaching.
That and the seemingly bottomless fountain of energy and next-play attitude have made him what he is.

The scary thing is that he still has so much room for improvement.
His craftiness with his dribble and around the basket, with the hesitation moves have been a revelation this year.
Nobody in the game is doing stuff like that at this level right now.

Before the draft, I was not a fan of the way he played in college with so much hero ball.
That and the awful nationally televised workout he had where he looked out of shape and shot poorly also gave me doubts.

It was watching Rider in the dunk contest that made me a Wolves fan so you leave my man alone... ha ha jokes brother

Agree with your post. Ant is on another level.
A1FromDay1
Senior
And1: 121

Post#736 » by A1FromDay1 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:23 pm

After the rookie season I knew he is going for the GOAT spot. I have an ongoing bet made then, that he will win 3 chips (not necessarily playing for us). And my prediction was based on his personality, drive and toughness, cause pure talent (a la Vince) is not nearly enough.
Homo homini lupus est.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#737 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:42 pm

Rosas knew

Read on Twitter

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,200

Post#738 » by Neeva » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:53 pm

A lot of us knew. It didn’t take much to realize from his tapes that he was something extraordinary special athletically on the court. Some reports (I assume were coming from Charlotte and Golden state people) made me question his drive as a basketball player and lack of love for the sport and his personality a little bit but ultimately I knew Ant was THE top pick and I also wanted Maxey at 16:/
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#739 » by Dewey » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:28 am

Neeva wrote:A lot of us knew. It didn’t take much to realize from his tapes that he was something extraordinary special athletically on the court. Some reports (I assume were coming from Charlotte and Golden state people) made me question his drive as a basketball player and lack of love for the sport and his personality a little bit but ultimately I knew Ant was THE top pick and I also wanted Maxey at 16:/

Well said. Maxey was one who I was okay with trading down for, but either way, it’s all good…
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#740 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:30 am

Neeva wrote:A lot of us knew. It didn’t take much to realize from his tapes that he was something extraordinary special athletically on the court. Some reports (I assume were coming from Charlotte and Golden state people) made me question his drive as a basketball player and lack of love for the sport and his personality a little bit but ultimately I knew Ant was THE top pick and I also wanted Maxey at 16:/

Going back through the first Ant thread....Neeva was one of the first to be truly excited about the pick and his upside. minimus not far behind on the hype train.

I was cautiously optimistic.

Klomp wrote:While we may not get a James or Duncan type player from this draft, I don't think he'll be a Bennett or Bargnani either.....I think he could easily settle in as a Simmons, Griffin type. Might take a few years, but he can get there.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves