Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,544

Re: The "Fire Chris Finch" Thread 

Post#301 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:42 pm

TimberKat wrote:
guest81 wrote:
TimberKat wrote:Finch better change things up after all star break and with the newly traded players. I also hope Ant makes the Olympic team. It will be really good for him to play under the shadows of great players ( not all star bs game) and see how to work with other players. Teams are stacking up on him and his passes are mostly inaccurate, late, or forcing the issues too much. I don't see Finch or any coach to could get him playing the right way or he is a dam slow learner.

He's 22, an all star, and is the best player on the best team in the the most stacked west ever. What are you talking about?

In 2024 the Timberwolves are: 11-9, third in turnovers per game, lead the league in clutch losses (3-7 in clutch games in that time), have the third worst clutch net rating in the NBA, and blew 4th quarter leads in their most recent 7 losses. Rewind and watch the games. We are trending in the wrong direction.

Teams watch a lot of film. They find what worked for other teams and they repeat it. The book on us is that if you load up on Ant and clog the paint we struggle. Add in some smart attacks of the passing lane, and some careful study of the moves guys use before they drive and you can read us like a book. All of the above being true, the real Achilles Heel of the Wolves is point Ant. Ant is not good on ball, especially late. When Mike gives it up to Ant we essentially give up the game. Finch cannot or will not fix it. So we lose. We will keep losing until we fix the things that are broken and adapt to what other teams are doing to us. Especially later in games when they ramp up the defensive intensity and physicality.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,525

Post#302 » by guest81 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:39 pm

winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
guest81 wrote:
He's 22, an all star, and is the best player on the best team in the the most stacked west ever. What are you talking about?

In 2024 the Timberwolves are: 11-9, third in turnovers per game, lead the league in clutch losses (3-7 in clutch games in that time), have the third worst clutch net rating in the NBA, and blew 4th quarter leads in their most recent 7 losses. Rewind and watch the games. We are trending in the wrong direction.

Teams watch a lot of film. They find what worked for other teams and they repeat it. The book on us is that if you load up on Ant and clog the paint we struggle. Add in some smart attacks of the passing lane, and some careful study of the moves guys use before they drive and you can read us like a book. All of the above being true, the real Achilles Heel of the Wolves is point Ant. Ant is not good on ball, especially late. When Mike gives it up to Ant we essentially give up the game. Finch cannot or will not fix it. So we lose. We will keep losing until we fix the things that are broken and adapt to what other teams are doing to us. Especially later in games when they ramp up the defensive intensity and physicality.

In February ant is averaging 30-6-4 shooting 44 from 3 and 48 overall. Again as a 22 year old and the best player on a team that has been in 1st place in the west pretty much all year
winforlose
General Manager

Post#303 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:43 pm

guest81 wrote:
winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:

In February ant is averaging 30-6-4 shooting 44 from 3 and 48 overall. Again as a 22 year old and the best player on a team that has been in 1st place in the west pretty much all year

We keep losing by blowing leads. There is no disputing this. It is a fact. Something is going wrong, you tell me what it is?
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#304 » by guest81 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:48 pm

winforlose wrote:
guest81 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

We keep losing by blowing leads. There is no disputing this. It is a fact. Something is going wrong, you tell me what it is?

Yea it was stated that ant isn't playing the right way and is a slow learner. I said it was crazy. A 10 game sample size does not supersede a career sample size
winforlose
General Manager

Post#305 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:50 pm

guest81 wrote:
winforlose wrote:
guest81 wrote:

Yea it was stated that ant isn't playing the right way and is a slow learner. I said it was crazy. A 10 game sample size does not supersede a career sample size

What is your explanation?
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#306 » by guest81 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:52 pm

winforlose wrote:
guest81 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

He's one of the best 22 year olds in nba history?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#307 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:00 pm

guest81 wrote:
winforlose wrote:
guest81 wrote:

For the losing. If it’s not Ant, what is it?
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#308 » by guest81 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:41 pm

winforlose wrote:
guest81 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Losing? They have the 3rd best record in the nba
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,553

Post#309 » by Note30 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:41 pm

winforlose wrote:
guest81 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Reliance on Ant. He'd be way better off if we had a lead guard or wing who could take the shot creating pressure off of him.

PG13 would be an amazing help to him I'm sure.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,567

Post#310 » by WolfAddict » Wed Feb 7, 2024 11:54 pm

guest81 wrote:
winforlose wrote:
guest81 wrote:

Are you being really obtuse on purpose?

We're not undefeated, so a question about our losses isn't some outlandish thing. If you don't have an actual answer to the question, why engage in the first place?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#311 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:04 am

guest81 wrote:
winforlose wrote:
guest81 wrote:

First, we are tied for 3rd best with OKC. 2nd, we have been collapsing in the fourth quarters and are 5-5 in our last 10. No lead is safe anymore. I could way more in depth, but what is the point. You either acknowledge the problem or you don’t.
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#312 » by guest81 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:43 am

winforlose wrote:
guest81 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

First, we are tied for 3rd best with OKC. 2nd, we have been collapsing in the fourth quarters and are 5-5 in our last 10. No lead is safe anymore. I could way more in depth, but what is the point. You either acknowledge the problem or you don’t.

It's the ups and downs that every team goes through in an 82 game season. They aren't an invincible team, but they are still championship contenders, same as last month
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,588

Post#313 » by TimberKat » Thu Feb 8, 2024 12:51 am

guest81 wrote:
winforlose wrote:
guest81 wrote:

It's the ups and downs that every team goes through in an 82 game season. They aren't an invincible team, but they are still championship contenders, same as last month

So, you are not concern with how they played the last 20 games. We just keep doing the same thing. They will figure it out organically before the playoffs. However if we exit in 1st round, it's perfectly fine because Ant is 22, he is an all star and there is always next year?

I say. Right now they are not champion contender. If they don't fix the issues.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#314 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:05 am

TimberKat wrote:
guest81 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

So, you are not concern with how they played the last 20 games. We just keep doing the same thing. They will figure it out organically before the playoffs. However if we exit in 1st round, it's perfectly fine because Ant is 22, he is an all star and there is always next year?

They have championship level talent, but I am starting to wonder if they have championship level coaching. There is no excuse for not calling timeout after the Bulls started getting going. Just like there is no excuse for not having someone tell Kyle to shut up after he got a warning from the refs to stop complaining.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,107

Post#315 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:21 am

TimberKat wrote:
guest81 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

People were freaking out that Denver was going to be a first round exit last year because of how much they "struggled" during the regular season. How did that work out?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
guest81
Assistant Coach

Post#316 » by guest81 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:21 am

TimberKat wrote:
guest81 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Most of these losses took a crazy amount of shot making. In a 7 game series, you have to beat the best defense in the league 4 times. There hasn't been a ton of games where the wolves have looked outmatched
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,126

Post#317 » by m2002brian » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:25 am

winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
guest81 wrote:

They have championship level talent, but I am starting to wonder if they have championship level coaching. There is no excuse for not calling timeout after the Bulls started getting going. Just like there is no excuse for not having someone tell Kyle to shut up after he got a warning from the refs to stop complaining.

Exactly right.
We have the car. A lot of coaches could drive it fast and hard. But it’s going to take a special coach to get the most out of it.

The issues with coaching is, you always put your players in the best position to succeed. As much fun as it can be to put Ant on ball, it can also be just as detrimental at times. Finch is failing to put the players in the BEST position to succeed. It doesn’t mean “fire finch” literally, maybe fire this version of Finch. This version of Finch needs to grow and change or it will become literal.

Denver is a machine because the ball is predominantly in the hands of their best decision maker.

We want that machine like offense, and we deserve it as a fan base. KAT ain’t it, Ant ain’t it, Kyle ain’t it. So hopefully Monte can fix some things. Because maybe Finch has been running a lot of on ball
Ant to save Mike and his old legs.
BLUEGREENRED
winforlose
General Manager

Post#318 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:30 am

m2002brian wrote:
winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:So, you are not concern with how they played the last 20 games. We just keep doing the same thing. They will figure it out organically before the playoffs. However if we exit in 1st round, it's perfectly fine because Ant is 22, he is an all star and there is always next year?

Exactly right.
We have the car. A lot of coaches could drive it fast and hard. But it’s going to take a special coach to get the most out of it.

The issues with coaching is, you always put your players in the best position to succeed. As much fun as it can be to put Ant on ball, it can also be just as detrimental at times. Finch is failing to put the players in the BEST position to succeed. It doesn’t mean “fire finch” literally, maybe fire this version of Finch. This version of Finch needs to grow and change or it will become literal.

Denver is a machine because the ball is predominantly in the hands of their best decision maker.

We want that machine like offense, and we deserve it as a fan base. KAT ain’t it, Ant ain’t it, Kyle ain’t it. So hopefully Monte can fix some things. Because maybe Finch has been running a lot of on ball
Ant to save Mike and his old legs.

Monte needs time to get his legs. But once he has them watch out.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,309

Post#319 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:31 am

Klomp wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
guest81 wrote:

People were freaking out that Denver was going to be a first round exit last year because of how much they "struggled" during the regular season. How did that work out?

Didn't Denver rest a bunch of players down the stretch because they were pretty well locked in?
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,588

Post#320 » by TimberKat » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:36 am

Klomp wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
guest81 wrote:

I am not sure who thinks Wolves was going to beat DEN. That team got bored near the end of the season with nothing to play for. They and Heat have a history of deep playoff runs. Wolves have a history of playoff exits. Was the 30-10 2002 Wolves a contender? Did we all just relaxed like our great GM Mcfail and watch the season unfolded?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves