ImageImageImage

The Official Chris Finch Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 452

Re: The "Fire Chris Finch" Thread 

Post#321 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:42 am

Ant is a fantastic player no doubt. He will improve no doubt. But he is the one who f…. Up in the 4 th by making stupid decisions. It’ s not that difficult to fix. Just let the ball in Mike hands . He will find Rudy, Ant, kat and they can have good open shoot. The question is a coaching one. The way we play actually is decided by coach.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,607

Post#322 » by TimberKat » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:51 am

guest81 wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
guest81 wrote:
It's the ups and downs that every team goes through in an 82 game season. They aren't an invincible team, but they are still championship contenders, same as last month

So, you are not concern with how they played the last 20 games. We just keep doing the same thing. They will figure it out organically before the playoffs. However if we exit in 1st round, it's perfectly fine because Ant is 22, he is an all star and there is always next year?

I say. Right now they are not champion contender. If they don't fix the issues.

Most of these losses took a crazy amount of shot making. In a 7 game series, you have to beat the best defense in the league 4 times. There hasn't been a ton of games where the wolves have looked outmatched

So Wolves allow a crazy amount of shot making - 20 games, a qtr of a season, is not a random event. 3-7 in clutch with losses to CHA, CHI, SAS, and the same pattern is not accidental. Ranking bottom 9 in points score for more than half a season is statistically significant.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,599

Post#323 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:51 am

This thread is gonna so much more interesting with Monte and possibly Marcus Morris on the team. Imagine the rotations with JMAC as your 11th guy instead of your 9th.

Mike/Ant/Jaden/Karl/Rudy
Monte/NAW/Marcus/Kyle/Naz
JMAC/Moore/Minott/Miller.

More practically you could see lineups like

Monte/Ant/Jaden/Marcus and KAT for 5 out spacing and great space for Ant to drive.

Another example

Mike/Monte/Jaden/Karl/Rudy when Ant is on the bench.

With all these options and weapons Finch will be tested but have a cheat sheet of options. If he makes it work you know he is great. If not then we know that too.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,540

Post#324 » by guest81 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:14 pm

Just wanted to bump this if people still wanted to fire Finch and replace him like the Bucks did. Doc is 3-7 with the Bucks, and the Wolves are still 1st in the west and second best record in the league and are arguably playing their best basketball of the season
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,963

Re: The "Chris Finch" Thread 

Post#325 » by shrink » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:57 pm

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:Ant is a fantastic player no doubt. He will improve no doubt. But he is the one who f…. Up in the 4 th by making stupid decisions.

I think this is fair, and Ant’s recent improvements in decision-making magnify his impact towards team wins, but his prior poor decision-making, and not getting up for games against weaker competition, was instrumental in our losses.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say the player most responsible for our wins, and our losses, is Ant in both cases.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#326 » by NebWolvesFan » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:58 pm

guest81 wrote:Just wanted to bump this if people still wanted to fire Finch and replace him like the Bucks did. Doc is 3-7 with the Bucks, and the Wolves are still 1st in the west and second best record in the league and are arguably playing their best basketball of the season

Rivers really should have called JB Bickerstaff and said "You go coach the All-Stars, you deserve it." It's silly that the Bucks coach is leading the East All-Stars
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,909

Post#327 » by KGdaBom » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:01 pm

shrink wrote:
FrenchMinnyFan wrote:Ant is a fantastic player no doubt. He will improve no doubt. But he is the one who f…. Up in the 4 th by making stupid decisions.

I think this is fair, and Ant’s recent improvements in decision-making magnify his impact towards team wins, but his prior poor decision-making, and not getting up for games against weaker competition, was instrumental in our losses.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say the player most responsible for our wins, and our losses, is Ant in both cases.

I'd say Rudy is most responsible for our wins and Kyle is most responsible for our losses. Ant is probably 2nd in both of those.
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior

Post#328 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:57 am

I'm not sure we can make a ranking for our win or loss. This team is very good because they play as a team remind me the Grin and Grind Memphis style. Neither ANT ( not yet),KAT or Rudy are a top ten player but they are damm good. Conley is the perfect general for this team. KAT improve so much in defense. Bench provide great defense too.
If we keep focus like this, we can finish first at West and make a run.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#329 » by TimberKat » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:09 pm

Ant is top 10 (on avg) in Feb, especially the last 4 when his turnovers were way down. Even though he shot 1-11 from 3s in LAC, he still didn't look too bad. I supposed winning masks a lot of faults. If he ever figures out how/when to pass the ball, he really could be top 5.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,079

Post#330 » by shangrila » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:39 am

shrink wrote:

He's also 22. Expecting him to make perfect reads each time is unrealistic.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#331 » by TimberKat » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:51 am

shangrila wrote:
shrink wrote:

Why does it has to be so extreme either he sucked or he is perfect? Is it too much to ask that he reads defense better than Banchero, Holmgren, or Wemby? Could he just not turn over the ball 5 times a game, maybe just 3? Doesn't have to be perfect.
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior

Post#332 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:27 am

TimberKat wrote:
shangrila wrote:
shrink wrote:I think this is fair, and Ant’s recent improvements in decision-making magnify his impact towards team wins, but his prior poor decision-making, and not getting up for games against weaker competition, was instrumental in our losses.

Why does it has to be so extreme either he sucked or he is perfect? Is it too much to ask that he reads defense better than Banchero, Holmgren, or Wemby? Could he just not turn over the ball 5 times a game, maybe just 3? Doesn't have to be perfect.

Exactly, specially when he shows he is able to do it like he did the last games. It's not about needing more times as he is mature and smart. He is just as many gifted kids, interest in many things but sometimes loose focus. When he is 100% focus, he will be 7Assists/2
TO per game guy. It will be be perfect right now.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#333 » by shangrila » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:09 pm

TimberKat wrote:
shangrila wrote:
shrink wrote:I think this is fair, and Ant’s recent improvements in decision-making magnify his impact towards team wins, but his prior poor decision-making, and not getting up for games against weaker competition, was instrumental in our losses.

I'd love to see Banchero's numbers as the primary ball handler in clutch situations as I truly don't know how he handles those situations. Comparing Ant's turnover numbers to 2 stretch big is asinine though. Just completely different roles.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#334 » by TimberKat » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:47 pm

shangrila wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
shangrila wrote:He's also 22. Expecting him to make perfect reads each time is unrealistic.

I'd love to see Banchero's numbers as the primary ball handler in clutch situations as I truly don't know how he handles those situations. Comparing Ant's turnover numbers to 2 stretch big is asinine though. Just completely different roles.

I compare him with recent high picks and didn't even bring up Ball. Who do you want to compare him with? Doesn't he have area that should improve or we just can't say it because he is some how perfect for his age? Does it look like he is doing a good job reading double teams to you?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#335 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:08 am

Just think, now that Finch lost the All Star Game, a whole conference worth of fans will be starting fire finch threads ;)
shangrila
RealGM

Post#336 » by shangrila » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:18 am

TimberKat wrote:
shangrila wrote:
TimberKat wrote:Why does it has to be so extreme either he sucked or he is perfect? Is it too much to ask that he reads defense better than Banchero, Holmgren, or Wemby? Could he just not turn over the ball 5 times a game, maybe just 3? Doesn't have to be perfect.

I compare him with recent high picks and didn't even bring up Ball. Who do you want to compare him with? Doesn't he have area that should improve or we just can't say it because he is some how perfect for his age? Does it look like he is doing a good job reading double teams to you?

You compared him to 2 centres. Their roles are completely different. How can you ask why their turnovers are lower when they're never asked to initiate plays nor are expected to make game deciding decisions in crunch time? It was a dumb comparison, own it and move on.

And he does do a good job reading double teams, the issue is that isn't consistent. And that's ok because he's young and still learning. Growth isn't linear, it's not a straight upward line graph. The sooner people realise that the less whining we'll have around here.

I've never argued that he's perfect, all I've ever argued is that he's not critically flawed like some people around here seem to believe.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#337 » by TimberKat » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:28 pm

shangrila wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
shangrila wrote:I'd love to see Banchero's numbers as the primary ball handler in clutch situations as I truly don't know how he handles those situations. Comparing Ant's turnover numbers to 2 stretch big is asinine though. Just completely different roles.

You compared him to 2 centres. Their roles are completely different. How can you ask why their turnovers are lower when they're never asked to initiate plays nor are expected to make game deciding decisions in crunch time? It was a dumb comparison, own it and move on.

And he does do a good job reading double teams, the issue is that isn't consistent. And that's ok because he's young and still learning. Growth isn't linear, it's not a straight upward line graph. The sooner people realise that the less whining we'll have around here.

I've never argued that he's perfect, all I've ever argued is that he's not critically flawed like some people around here seem to believe.

Yes, own it. Reading defense transcend positions and so is make game deciding decisions. He was bad at it. We all hope he can improve and be better in the future. Maybe take the ball out of his hands in those situations for now and we been talking about that.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#338 » by shangrila » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:57 pm

TimberKat wrote:
shangrila wrote:
TimberKat wrote:I compare him with recent high picks and didn't even bring up Ball. Who do you want to compare him with? Doesn't he have area that should improve or we just can't say it because he is some how perfect for his age? Does it look like he is doing a good job reading double teams to you?

Yes, own it. Reading defense transcend positions and so is make game deciding decisions. He was bad at it. We all hope he can improve and be better in the future. Maybe take the ball out of his hands in those situations for now and we been talking about that.

Final note on this since you've inexplicably tripled down on it; the responsibilities that a guard has for initiating offence compared to a big aren't comparable. You want to compare him to his peers? Try other shooting guards.

And no, you shouldn't take the ball out of his hands in those situations. We want him to learn to make the right reads, the only way that happens is with on-ball reps. If the team was fighting for a play-in spot you might have a point but we're top of the West, we can afford for Ant to make mistakes while he's growing.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#339 » by TimberKat » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:39 pm

shangrila wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
shangrila wrote:You compared him to 2 centres. Their roles are completely different. How can you ask why their turnovers are lower when they're never asked to initiate plays nor are expected to make game deciding decisions in crunch time? It was a dumb comparison, own it and move on.

Final note on this since you've inexplicably tripled down on it; the responsibilities that a guard has for initiating offence compared to a big aren't comparable. You want to compare him to his peers? Try other shooting guards.

And no, you shouldn't take the ball out of his hands in those situations. We want him to learn to make the right reads, the only way that happens is with on-ball reps. If the team was fighting for a play-in spot you might have a point but we're top of the West, we can afford for Ant to make mistakes while he's growing.

So, since we are 1 game ahead in first place, it's OK to make mistakes and take us down a couple spots? Isn't there better ways to learn? No need to continue this discussion. Ant is the perfect 22 year old.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#340 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:35 am

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves