ImageImageImage

The Official Mike Conley Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Re: The Official Mike Conley Thread 

Post#221 » by minimus » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:35 pm

TimberKat wrote:That is 2 mil more per year than I expected. I think we are for sure tax paying and very close to 2nd apron. If Taylor is still running the team, I would bet Towns or JMcD be traded for picks this summer. On the other hand, we could have the main 8 back next year. So, I am not sure this is good news or bad news. Maybe it's just news.

This is a BARGAIN, if we compare this contract and Lowry, CP3 contracts
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#222 » by Biff Cooper » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:35 pm

It is pretty much a sign that we are willing to pay lux tax money which is also good news.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,512

Post#223 » by TimberKat » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:38 pm

minimus wrote:
TimberKat wrote:That is 2 mil more per year than I expected. I think we are for sure tax paying and very close to 2nd apron. If Taylor is still running the team, I would bet Towns or JMcD be traded for picks this summer. On the other hand, we could have the main 8 back next year. So, I am not sure this is good news or bad news. Maybe it's just news.

I am in, chalk it up as good news. Also no Tyrus home coming, I assume.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,000

Post#224 » by wolves_89 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:44 pm

With Conley's extension coming in at only $10.5M next season, I'm now somewhat optimistic that they can also get an extension done with Morris.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,711

Post#225 » by Shaka_Zulu » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:49 pm

This is the best news ever.

We get 2 more years of not the best Wolves player, but clearly the most important player past year.

Wish we could clone him and get a younger version.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,467

Post#226 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:00 pm

TimberKat wrote:
minimus wrote:

I am in, chalk it up as good news. Also no Tyrus home coming, I assume.

1. Without bird rights there was literally no way to bring him back at any kind of market value.

2. Monte Morris has a ton of history with Tim Connelly. He wasn’t traded for as playoff insurance in a one and done. TC obviously plans to extend Morris and probably make him the successor to Mike. Or, if something happens and a better PG falls in our lap (ring chaser for example,) then MM is a fantastic backup. Do not underestimate how valuable a healthy and locked in Monte Morris can be.
Sealab2024
Sophomore
And1: 363

Post#227 » by Sealab2024 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:00 pm

This is great news all around and I love this for Mike. One of the NBA's true good guys, he gets to play 20 years and go out being a beloved piece on a contender that seriously needs him in his role, which he's perfect for. A TC stroke of genius.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#228 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:02 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:This is the best news ever.

We get 2 more years of not the best Wolves player, but clearly the most important player past year.

Monte is in the same mold. His defense isn’t as good, but he will make it up for it by being cheaper.

Mike is the lynch pin to this team. Even if he quality slides due to age and use, he is still valuable coming off the bench and in the locker room. This is a big win for us. The only question now is assuming Morris resigns and Kyle resigns who get the final roster spot.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#229 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:05 pm

winforlose wrote:

Monte is in the same mold. His defense isn’t as good, but he will make it up for it by being cheaper.

Mike is the lynch pin to this team. Even if he quality slides due to age and use, he is still valuable coming off the bench and in the locker room. This is a big win for us. The only question now is assuming Morris resigns and Kyle resigns who get the final roster spot.

1st round pick.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#230 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:44 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:

1st round pick.

Starting 5 return
2nd string Morris/NAW/Anderson/Reid
3rd string Moore/Minott/Miller

If you add that together you get 12. FRP is 13, we need 14. One open spot. Could be JMAC, could Marcus Morris, could be a ring chaser (depending on how we do in the playoffs.) If we need an extra spot we could try to cash dump Moore and sign our second round pick or a free agent.

Two ways Nix/Clarke/2nd round pick.
minimus
RealGM

Post#231 » by minimus » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:22 pm

So TC has resigned Conley 22/2 and NAW 9/2 for less than DLo resigned for 37/2...
minimus
RealGM

Post#232 » by minimus » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:26 pm

I feel like high SRP is underestimated a bit. I mean because SRP contract is negotiable (unlike FRP contract) we can sign him to Gupta's special deal. Which provides flexibility. I really hope TC can draft rotation players in 2024 draft
Guidus88
Junior
And1: 114

Post#233 » by Guidus88 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:57 pm

Great extension! Much love for Mike ❤️

Let the deep run continues!
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,000

Post#234 » by wolves_89 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:06 pm

minimus wrote:I feel like high SRP is underestimated a bit. I mean because SRP contract is negotiable (unlike FRP contract) we can sign him to Gupta's special deal. Which provides flexibility. I really hope TC can draft rotation players in 2024 draft

I could see Connelly trading the MIN 2024 1st (currently 29th) and the MEM 2024 2nd (currently 37th) for a pick in the 31-33 range, a mid to late 2nd (draft a two-way guy), and a few future 2nds.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#235 » by KGdaBom » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:47 pm

Very good news. Less than I expected and way less than any other team pays for a quality starting PG.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#236 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:12 pm

Getting around $10 million was like a dream scenario, so to get where we are I'm very happy with. Even if he declines somewhat, it's now baked into the new contract number.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager

Post#237 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:37 pm

Klomp wrote:Getting around $10 million was like a dream scenario, so to get where we are I'm very happy with. Even if he declines somewhat, it's now baked into the new contract number.

Honestly it is around what I thought he would take. I figured the range was 8-12. Mike has made a fortune. He is in a great situation, and now he can build his legacy.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#238 » by KGdaBom » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:48 pm

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:Getting around $10 million was like a dream scenario, so to get where we are I'm very happy with. Even if he declines somewhat, it's now baked into the new contract number.

Honestly it is around what I thought he would take. I figured the range was 8-12. Mike has made a fortune. He is in a great situation, and now he can build his legacy.

Starting PGs in the NBA don't usually take between 8-12 million. Mike is a bit older, but this deal sure seems like a bargain to me.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#239 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:51 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Starting PGs in the NBA don't usually take between 8-12 million. Mike is a bit older, but this deal sure seems like a bargain to me.

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager

Post#240 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:56 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Not many starting PGs are 36. Next year he will be 37, then 38. Usually you start to see decline at this age (if not sooner.) Mike is smart enough to know our cap situation. Smart enough to know that the final year is a risk. He might get more elsewhere, but he is happy here and has a chance to get the rings he so desperately craves. Also, I would be stunned he if wasn’t offered an assistant coaching or FO gig with us when he retires.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves