ImageImageImage

The Official Mike Conley Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,257

Re: The Official Mike Conley Thread 

Post#281 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:26 am

They also could hold onto him and attempt to sign and trade him in the offseason. We’ve heard absolutely nothing new regarding him in the last 2 weeks.

I mean, do we actually even know if the Wolves are interested in him?

So far all that has been reported is PatBev said Morris wants to come here.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,471

Post#282 » by winforlose » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:36 am

BlacJacMac wrote:They also could hold onto him and attempt to sign and trade him in the offseason. We’ve heard absolutely nothing new regarding him in the last 2 weeks.

I mean, do we actually even know if the Wolves are interested in him?

So far all that has been reported is PatBev said Morris wants to come here.

Rumor is the Wolves are interested. Rumor is he is interested. Morris has limited sign and trade value as he is probably not gonna make more than 8 or 9 and any team that takes him becomes hard capped. The Spurs have no incentive to hold him against his will and he has no incentive to stay. He isn’t even with the team (last I checked.) A buyout for Morris a win/win/win (a win for the player who gets to compete for something, a win for the Spurs who save X dollars, and a win for the team he goes to that adds depth.) Instead the spurs would create a lose/lose/lose, whereby Morris sits out the rest of the season, the Spurs don’t save that money, and they piss off a lot of people including the Wolves organization, Morris’s agency, and a whole bunch of free agents who see them as at best dysfunctional and at worst unprofessional.
NUMBERICA
Sophomore
And1: 144

Post#283 » by NUMBERICA » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:30 am

Just coming back to shout into anything what an absolute bum DLo is.
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 414

Post#284 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:49 am

Trading Mike and NAW for Dlo is probably the best trade TC make in Wolves history.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#285 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:49 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#286 » by Klomp » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:41 am

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#287 » by minimus » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:30 pm

Mike Conley in 9 games after ASG:

10PPG, 41.6%FG, 32.6% 3PT, 4.7APG and 1.9TO

Two things really concerns me:

1) he can't hit his patented floater. And since is not shooting mid range his offensive game will be reduced to spot up threes

Read on Twitter
?s=20

2) he has been losing the ball in most ordinary situations, like cross court pass

I wish we could protect him and slowly reduce minutes before playoffs, but recent Towns and Morris injuries combined with tough schedule is a very unlucky combination of factors. TJ Warren looks absolutely fantastic for 10-day contract, maybe we can get a PG? After I have seen rumors about Ben Simmons coming here in case he gets waived, I started to think that MIN might indeed look interesting as some FAs as destination to revive their career.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,517

Post#288 » by TimberKat » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:50 pm

Simmons still have a a year left on his contract so he won't be waived until next year. He seems to be only interested in playing 10 mins a game or just enough to get paid. If KA can't pair with Gobert, I can't see Simmons is any better. Although if he only plays 10 min a game, that should work.
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior

Post#289 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:19 am

I'm not surprised Mike flooter is done. Mike change his game a lot this year avoiding situation where he can get hurt and keeping shooting 3 only. When you don't use flotter for so many games, you loose efficiency. The problem of going inside for floater is the injury part. Mike is getting old so he got to be smart.
I'm more worry how bad he shoot 3 since 5 games. I think he got some minor issue with his arm, which is a concern at that stage of the season. Hopefully he can get some rest amd come at 100% for PO time. If not....
minimus
RealGM

Post#290 » by minimus » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:51 pm

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:I'm not surprised Mike flooter is done. Mike change his game a lot this year avoiding situation where he can get hurt and keeping shooting 3 only. When you don't use flotter for so many games, you loose efficiency. The problem of going inside for floater is the injury part. Mike is getting old so he got to be smart...

I wonder whether something is lost in translation, because as PnR point guard Conley MUST have either slashing game or floater to keep defense honest. And floater is the most natural choice for small guards to attack the rim. Another way is to shoot more mid range shots, like DLo does, but Conley does not shoot mid range shots. So in Conley case abandoning floater game means shift from PnR guards more to floor spacer. Something that we have been seen in last games. Regardless his 3pt shooting he is still an elite shot maker.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,471

Post#291 » by winforlose » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:34 pm

minimus wrote:
FrenchMinnyFan wrote:I'm not surprised Mike flooter is done. Mike change his game a lot this year avoiding situation where he can get hurt and keeping shooting 3 only. When you don't use flotter for so many games, you loose efficiency. The problem of going inside for floater is the injury part. Mike is getting old so he got to be smart...

I wonder whether something is lost in translation, because as PnR point guard Conley MUST have either slashing game or floater to keep defense honest. And floater is the most natural choice for small guards to attack the rim. Another way is to shoot more mid range shots, like DLo does, but Conley does not shoot mid range shots. So in Conley case abandoning floater game means shift from PnR guards more to floor spacer. Something that we have been seen in last games. Regardless his 3pt shooting he is still an elite shot maker.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Myself and the other trade for PG guys saw a drop in production coming. Mike is an amazing player. But, he is also 36 years old, and not getting any younger. The 82 game season is incredibly taxing, and Mike isn’t load managing or taking games off. Long ball accuracy is connected to stamina and energy level. Tired legs don’t often produce the desired result (1-19 from all non Naz players for a team that generally shoots top 5 in accuracy in the league.) Unfortunately, with Monte injured Mike is being forced to play more minutes. It is also true that teams have learned to play him very physically to further exhaust him. What Mike needs is minute reduction and a healthy dose of JMAC. Give him some more rest and come clutch time he might have some gas left.
minimus
RealGM

Post#292 » by minimus » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Lack of wide open looks explains drop in Conley efficiency
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior

Post#293 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:24 am

I think there are several explanation for the drop. I agree with the less open shoot one but I think too that Mike is just tired. He play a lot this year and probably too much min before we got Morris and JML step up. He is 36 years old and staff will need to be smart as we need Mike at 100% when PO start.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#294 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:38 pm

Read on Twitter

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,710

Post#295 » by shrink » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:34 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Bite and Bite!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves