The Official Mike Conley Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,628

Re: The Official Mike Conley Thread 

Post#41 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:49 am

Great move by Minny.

I think most NBA fans fail to appreciate just how important it is to have a mature vet presence to help build the right culture.

In that sense, you won't find anyone better than Mike Conely, IMO.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#42 » by babyjax13 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:33 pm

shrink wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is crazy to think. Don't we lead the league or close in technical fouls? Maybe Conley gets Ant and especially Kat to stop complaining after every call.

I have always seen him as a true professional.

Over the last few months, I have really grown to dislike technical fouls. I used to think that they were a cost of doing business, if you want to have passionate people. Lately though, I see these as selfish, damaging to the team, and disrespectful to the game. These are fouls that are so egregious that they needed to introduce specialized penalties because they hurt the fairness of competition. I have been particularly aware of technical fouls by coaches in the college game, where adult men are showing young people that it is acceptable to lose your temper and act out when things don’t go you way.

This makes me like Conley even more. Nobody has ever said Conley doesn’t play hard or doesn’t want to win - he just does it without being unsportsmanlike, and that should be applauded.

He did get his first tech earlier this year, but the league rescinded it.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#43 » by babyjax13 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:35 pm

Klomp wrote:Could DLo do this?

Conley is a really smart player and has good hands, but he's not a great defender at this stage in his career. He's not completely terrible, either, but if your main hope is improved defense you might be disappointed. I know D'Lo is a terrible man defender, but he seemed like he was pretty smart with calling out how to move the defense, etc. Of course, now you have Gobert, so maybe his strength on that end was no longer relevant.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,740

Post#44 » by minimus » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:15 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Klomp wrote:Could DLo do this?

Conley is a really smart player and has good hands, but he's not a great defender at this stage in his career. He's not completely terrible, either, but if your main hope is improved defense you might be disappointed. I know D'Lo is a terrible man defender, but he seemed like he was pretty smart with calling out how to move the defense, etc. Of course, now you have Gobert, so maybe his strength on that end was no longer relevant.

I have noticed that despite being smart defender DLo often slacks in rotation, picking nearest opponent, ruining team defense. He also was awful in transition
minimus
RealGM

Post#45 » by minimus » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:10 pm

I really enjoyed this interview (as much as I could with my English)
HCL
Ballboy
And1: 28

Post#46 » by HCL » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:54 pm

Spoiler:
Too old hurt all the time ish
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#47 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:00 pm

Thought Conley played a really good game last night.

Had two quick turnovers then 9 straight assist to finish the game. Found Gobert for 3 dunks with some nice slow bounce passes that he can catch. The ball doesn’t slow down with him and stick. Got some Rubio pure point guard in him.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#48 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:07 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=LrEZG2w0jnIMlAL-6bhmzg
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#49 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:06 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=5uC6ijkCI0m8D5YK85dgCA

Conley’s passes to Gobert went 3 for 3 - 100% conversion rate
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#50 » by urinesane » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:25 pm

HCL wrote:Too old hurt all the time ish

Take your trolling elsewhere please, ty.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#51 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:01 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=dL9Vk36cYOwVGFdzGeFxkQ

https://t.co/InrOtz0A8U

Doogie full video interview with anime Conley at Mayo Clinic Square
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,687

Post#52 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:41 pm

It didn't take Conley long to have a good performance with the Wolves --- his second game on the team. Kyrie Irving got all the oohs and aahs for his spectacular shots in Q4, but Conley and the Wolves' better execution over 48 minutes won the game. I suspect you will win more games with Conley's savvy leadership going forward than you would have won with Russel's higher scoring.
Guidus88
Junior
And1: 129

Post#53 » by Guidus88 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:57 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:It didn't take Conley long to have a good performance with the Wolves --- his second game on the team. Kyrie Irving got all the oohs and aahs for his spectacular shots in Q4, but Conley and the Wolves' better execution over 48 minutes won. I suspect you are going to win more games with Conley's veteran savvy and superior leadership the rest of the season than you would have with Russel's higher scoring.

I do 100% agree with you. Our team has enough offensive power, in particular with KAT coming back (hopefully shortly). We needed a veteran that can drive the boat in some situation and that can play team defense. I hope that Mike can do it this and next season...with the mavs he did a wonderful job.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#54 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=OKxYfK82-ny8rYR_oev3Aw

Vet doing vet things

Happy we made the trade for Conley
Guidus88
Junior
And1: 129

Post#55 » by Guidus88 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:05 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=OKxYfK82-ny8rYR_oev3Aw

Vet doing vet things

Happy we made the trade for Conley

Little things always make difference!
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#56 » by urinesane » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:57 pm

Guidus88 wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:It didn't take Conley long to have a good performance with the Wolves --- his second game on the team. Kyrie Irving got all the oohs and aahs for his spectacular shots in Q4, but Conley and the Wolves' better execution over 48 minutes won. I suspect you are going to win more games with Conley's veteran savvy and superior leadership the rest of the season than you would have with Russel's higher scoring.

I do 100% agree with you. Our team has enough offensive power, in particular with KAT coming back (hopefully shortly). We needed a veteran that can drive the boat in some situation and that can play team defense. I hope that Mike can do it this and next season...with the mavs he did a wonderful job.

Especially when you factor in how limited Rudy has been, as well as opening up more opportunities for McDaniels (better ball movement is going to really open up a lot for this team). Nowell looking a little more like the start of the season than the last 3 months version (which is nice to see) and it mostly seems to come from the improved ball movement and team play.
minimus
RealGM

Post#57 » by minimus » Wed Mar 1, 2023 6:48 pm

I have one question: lets imagine that Gobert trade never happened. Would you still trade last summer DLo for Conley and NAW (no picks attached)
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,593

Post#58 » by Note30 » Wed Mar 1, 2023 7:05 pm

minimus wrote:I have one question: lets imagine that Gobert trade never happened. Would you still trade last summer DLo for Conley and NAW (no picks attached)

No. I don't want him now.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 215

Post#59 » by frankenwolf » Wed Mar 1, 2023 7:17 pm

minimus wrote:I have one question: lets imagine that Gobert trade never happened. Would you still trade last summer DLo for Conley and NAW (no picks attached)

No. I would try to trade for a younger PG. I don't think TC would have traded for Conley if we didn't have Gobert. IMO, we needed to move on from D'lo.
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,208

Post#60 » by Klomp » Wed Mar 1, 2023 8:11 pm

I'm not sure I expect to see Conley on the team next year, and I don't think that it'd be an indictment of him or the trade.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves