The Official Mike Conley Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Re: The Official Mike Conley Thread 

Post#241 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:58 pm

Mike’s age shouldn’t be quite the anchor for a hypothetical contract either. Dude’s game should age incredibly gracefully. There is a lot of bball iq used rather than athleticism. It isn’t crazy to think that he could’ve got 2/$30-2/$40.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,847

Post#242 » by KGdaBom » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:20 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Honestly it is around what I thought he would take. I figured the range was 8-12. Mike has made a fortune. He is in a great situation, and now he can build his legacy.

Starting PGs in the NBA don't usually take between 8-12 million. Mike is a bit older, but this deal sure seems like a bargain to me.

Not many starting PGs are 36. Next year he will be 37, then 38. Usually you start to see decline at this age (if not sooner.) Mike is smart enough to know our cap situation. Smart enough to know that the final year is a risk. He might get more elsewhere, but he is happy here and has a chance to get the rings he so desperately craves. Also, I would be stunned he if wasn’t offered an assistant coaching or FO gig with us when he retires.

What do other players who aren't Mike Conley have to do with Mike Conley. Them declining at age 30 or at age 40 give no indication of what Mike Conley will do. I think Mike was better at age 30 than he is now. That Mike Conley would be making 30 million a year minimum. The Mike Conley of now and likely the next 2 years looks like a $15 million or better player to me so I'm calling the deal a bargain. You gave reasons why he may have signed a bargain deal for us. Good shot at a ring on a cohesive team.
NUMBERICA
Sophomore
And1: 144

Post#243 » by NUMBERICA » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:21 pm

Murphs56 wrote:One of the greatest trades in Wolves history. Changed the entire trajectory of the team.

This will forever be my example of how the game is so, so much more than just a ball going through the hoop.

Mike Conley would never beat DLo in a 1-on1 pickup but DLo isn't qualified to even carry water for Conley as an actual basketball player.

Sad for the picks y'all owe us but I also love Mike and Gobert and y'all have just had such a cursed time as a fanbase so I'm happy for you.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,448

Post#244 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:23 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Starting PGs in the NBA don't usually take between 8-12 million. Mike is a bit older, but this deal sure seems like a bargain to me.

Not many starting PGs are 36. Next year he will be 37, then 38. Usually you start to see decline at this age (if not sooner.) Mike is smart enough to know our cap situation. Smart enough to know that the final year is a risk. He might get more elsewhere, but he is happy here and has a chance to get the rings he so desperately craves. Also, I would be stunned he if wasn’t offered an assistant coaching or FO gig with us when he retires.

What do other players who aren't Mike Conley have to do with Mike Conley. Them declining at age 30 or at age 40 give no indication of what Mike Conley will do. I think Mike was better at age 30 than he is now. That Mike Conley would be making 30 million a year minimum. The Mike Conley of now and likely the next 2 years looks like a $15 million or better player to me so I'm calling the deal a bargain. You gave reasons why he may have signed a bargain deal for us. Good shot at a ring on a cohesive team.

The reason 15 is high is that the last year is guaranteed. At 37 Mike might be worth 15-18. At 38 you don’t know if Mike is worth 5. So meeting at 10.5 per year seems fair to everyone. Mike had enough leverage to force an overpay instead he maybe took a slight haircut. This is the ideal situation for Mike and I think we can all agree we are thrilled to have him, and hopefully to have him end his career as a wolf.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#245 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:34 pm

I think you could make an argument that if you thought the "window" for this group was over this year because of the second apron concerns, I think this extends the window probably through the 2025-26 season. The end of Conley's contract now lines up with the player option on Rudy Gobert's contract.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Sealab2024
Sophomore
And1: 360

Post#246 » by Sealab2024 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:49 pm

Klomp wrote:I think you could make an argument that if you thought the "window" for this group was over this year because of the second apron concerns, I think this extends the window probably through the 2025-26 season. The end of Conley's contract now lines up with the player option on Rudy Gobert's contract.

If this team can stay together and healthy for a 3 year run here I think they win a ring. Probably not this year, but next year. This year I expect a wcf run, but I would be a bit shocked if they beat Denver in a seven game.

This also is fair to ownership and players as well. A 3 year run, probably paying a bunch of luxury tax, to see how far this group can go. By that time Rudy will be like 34, KAT will be 31 and Ant will know we did everything we could to get him what he needed. But if they haven't won one by then, ownership would be justified in cutting salary back to the cap.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#247 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:53 pm

Sealab2024 wrote:
Klomp wrote:I think you could make an argument that if you thought the "window" for this group was over this year because of the second apron concerns, I think this extends the window probably through the 2025-26 season. The end of Conley's contract now lines up with the player option on Rudy Gobert's contract.

If this team can stay together and healthy for a 3 year run here I think they win a ring. Probably not this year, but next year. This year I expect a wcf run, but I would be a bit shocked if they beat Denver in a seven game.

This also is fair to ownership and players as well. A 3 year run, probably paying a bunch of luxury tax, to see how far this group can go. By that time Rudy will be like 34, KAT will be 31 and Ant will know we did everything we could to get him what he needed. But if they haven't won one by then, ownership would be justified in cutting salary back to the cap.

It also gives the ownership a good chunk of playoff revenues and hype if they try to get public support for a new arena.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 413

Post#248 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:54 pm

Great news. Happy for Mike as he loves beeing here and his family too. We got now a 3 years window with KAT Rudy at their best, ANT improving a lot. Best news of the day when i wake up ! Love you Mike, hope you got a ring before retired. Go Wolves !
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,683

Post#249 » by shrink » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:00 am

The MLE next year will be about $13, and I’m sure several teams would offer him that, just to get part of the influence he has given to MIN. And Mike knows how critical he is to this team, regardless of whether we have Monte Morris or not, so if he was greedy, he could have asked us for more than that, and we’d have paid it.

So I have nothing but respect for Mike sacrificing for this team, like many players on this team have done before him.

It’s a new feel for this whole organization, and I don’t know if the team has ever had a collection of people I like more.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#250 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:13 am

shrink wrote:The MLE next year will be about $13, and I’m sure several teams would offer him that, just to get part of the influence he has given to MIN. And Mike knows how critical he is to this team, regardless of whether we have Monte Morris or not, so if he was greedy, he could have asked us for more than that, and we’d have paid it.

So I have nothing but respect for Mike sacrificing for this team, like many players on this team have done before him.

It’s a new feel for this whole organization, and I don’t know if the team has ever had a collection of people I like more.

TC did say he wanted high character players.

https://zonecoverage.com/2023/timberwolves/the-wolves-are-building-a-sustainable-team-culture/
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#251 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:30 am

The deal means the Wolves will be headed toward becoming a second-apron, luxury tax-paying team next season, which brings stiff financial and team-building penalties under the league’s collective bargaining agreement. But there are two important caveats: First, the Wolves were always going to enter this territory if they became a team that was contending for deep playoff runs and even a championship. It is very difficult to construct that type of team without going deep into the tax. The Wolves know this and are acting accordingly.

Second, the Wolves will not have to pay any of the penalties until the end of next season. So if things do not go well, either in the playoffs this summer or next season, they could look to make moves with other high salaries to alleviate their burden.

But the idea, right now, is to go for it. They have been in first place most of the season. Connelly just acquired Morris to ensure Conley is rested and ready for the playoffs. If this team makes the kind of run that Conley, Gobert, Edwards and Towns have set as a goal, they will stick together.

As far as Connelly is concerned, this was always the plan. He always intended to get the Conleys to Minnesota, get them settled and make sure they stayed here for as long as possible.

https://theathletic.com/5286024/2024/02/19/mike-conley-contract-extension-timberwolves/

younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#252 » by younggunsmn » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:33 am

As others have said, this is well below market as his floor in the summer was likely the full MLE.
Good deal for Mike and good deal for us.

Time is the most precious commodity.
I'm glad Mike wants to spend the next two years here.

Some of his peers at the PG position have gone from huge contracts to vet min buyouts, like Lowry and Dinwiddie.
May be wise for him to get 2 years locked in, in a place he knows he is valued and appreciated.
He was also having a good year in Utah last year, being a great mentor and helping them overachieve, but Ainge and Utah clearly did not value that as highly as we did.

The difference between Mike and those other guys is that his play has remained at a high level, still playing great defense and having a career year shooting.
Going forward, going to be super important to have a competent backup to him though and someone who can share the load, play 20+ minutes. Maybe Morris is that guy, but I think NAW is more important for us long term and he's only signed for one more season after this one.
Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 143

Post#253 » by Loaf_of_bread » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:02 am

That is a discount contract. Even if his production fades, he is worth it. Mike is the glue to our glory, the dopamine to dreams, and of the caliber of citizens that I have the upmost respect for ... At the end of the day, what a haul we got for dlo . F that dude
vtime
Rookie
And1: 247

Post#254 » by vtime » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:34 am

younggunsmn wrote:As others have said, this is well below market as his floor in the summer was likely the full MLE.
Good deal for Mike and good deal for us.

Time is the most precious commodity.
I'm glad Mike wants to spend the next two years here.

Some of his peers at the PG position have gone from huge contracts to vet min buyouts, like Lowry and Dinwiddie.
May be wise for him to get 2 years locked in, in a place he knows he is valued and appreciated.
He was also having a good year in Utah last year, being a great mentor and helping them overachieve, but Ainge and Utah clearly did not value that as highly as we did.

The difference between Mike and those other guys is that his play has remained at a high level, still playing great defense and having a career year shooting.
Going forward, going to be super important to have a competent backup to him though and someone who can share the load, play 20+ minutes. Maybe Morris is that guy, but I think NAW is more important for us long term and he's only signed for one more season after this one.

NAW can’t be the backup pg. He throws the ball right to the defense way too much, makes some crazy decisions. He is perfect in his role of hounding guys on defense, making corners threes and being optimistic in transition. Playmaking gets him in trouble.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,489

Post#255 » by TimberKat » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:49 pm

Klomp wrote:The deal means the Wolves will be headed toward becoming a second-apron, luxury tax-paying team next season, which brings stiff financial and team-building penalties under the league’s collective bargaining agreement. But there are two important caveats: First, the Wolves were always going to enter this territory if they became a team that was contending for deep playoff runs and even a championship. It is very difficult to construct that type of team without going deep into the tax. The Wolves know this and are acting accordingly.

Second, the Wolves will not have to pay any of the penalties until the end of next season. So if things do not go well, either in the playoffs this summer or next season, they could look to make moves with other high salaries to alleviate their burden.

But the idea, right now, is to go for it. They have been in first place most of the season. Connelly just acquired Morris to ensure Conley is rested and ready for the playoffs. If this team makes the kind of run that Conley, Gobert, Edwards and Towns have set as a goal, they will stick together.

As far as Connelly is concerned, this was always the plan. He always intended to get the Conleys to Minnesota, get them settled and make sure they stayed here for as long as possible.

https://theathletic.com/5286024/2024/02/19/mike-conley-contract-extension-timberwolves/

Given we are playing well and the top 8 are signed. I am less concern with 2nd apron but more concerned with Ownership's willingness to be a tax paying team. I think they are for a winning team but they hadn't come and said it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#256 » by shrink » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:10 pm

Read on Twitter
shrink
RealGM

Post#257 » by shrink » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:25 pm

Skyhook on the trade board made a point I missed. Bringing back Conley further decreases the price we paid for Gobert.

That 2025 unprotected 1st probably won’t turn out to be a great asset.
And I think it’s more than likely we won’t turn over the 2026 swap.

2027 is getting a little far out, but we have some young players, and Towns will still only be 31.
Then the final, unknown pick we own is the 2029, Top 5 protected.

Two more years of Mike Conley lead me to believe the team will be more successful, and our players will be getting playoff experience. Plus, we are starting to become a more desirable place for players (Naz, Marcus Morris, and now Mike). Our fortunes are looking brighter!
winforlose
General Manager

Post#258 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:58 pm

shrink wrote:Skyhook on the trade board made a point I missed. Bringing back Conley further decreases the price we paid for Gobert.

2027 is getting a little far out, but we have some young players, and Towns will still only be 31.

Two more years of Mike Conley lead me to believe the team will be more successful, and our players will be getting playoff experience. Plus, we are starting to become a more desirable place for players (Naz, Marcus Morris, and now Mike). Our fortunes are looking brighter!

It is deeper than that. Don’t get me wrong, I agree with everything you said. But, I don’t see Rudy wanting to leave after his current deal. Just like Mike didn’t want to leave, and Karl resigning. I suspect Kyle will be brought back and Monte will want to stay as well. I think all the talk of culture and closeness of the locker room is true. I think these guys do love Finch, and I think TC had a point about bringing together a high character locker room. If people want to be here then they will stay. I think we can keep NAW on reasonable money (at least in the short term,) and I think we can Naz after his current deal ends. There is no reason to think that this team cannot be good well into the future. Especially if the new ownership group sees the value in spending money like a big market team to increase franchise value. Utah made a huge mistake with the second trade and now we just need to prove it.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,489

Post#259 » by TimberKat » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:32 pm

With our lucky, any picks we traded seems to turn out decent and we draft the wrong guy except for Ant: Dunn, Markkanen, Okogie, Culver, Ant, Kuminga, Kessler, George. Ironically, any of our picks that end up in Utah seems to play better there. You can add Dunn to the Gobert trade :D Maybe GSW will trade Kuminga for Kessler or Markkenen :D
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#260 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:27 pm

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:Skyhook on the trade board made a point I missed. Bringing back Conley further decreases the price we paid for Gobert.

It is deeper than that. Don’t get me wrong, I agree with everything you said. But, I don’t see Rudy wanting to leave after his current deal. Just like Mike didn’t want to leave, and Karl resigning. I suspect Kyle will be brought back and Monte will want to stay as well. I think all the talk of culture and closeness of the locker room is true. I think these guys do love Finch, and I think TC had a point about bringing together a high character locker room. If people want to be here then they will stay. I think we can keep NAW on reasonable money (at least in the short term,) and I think we can Naz after his current deal ends. There is no reason to think that this team cannot be good well into the future. Especially if the new ownership group sees the value in spending money like a big market team to increase franchise value. Utah made a huge mistake with the second trade and now we just need to prove it.

It's definitely possible. I highly doubt Rudy would come in as low as Mike did, but I think $20 million AAV could potentially be reasonable (keep in mind the cap keeps rising and the new media deal ahead).

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves