Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Re: The Nickeil Alexander-Walker (NAW) Thread 

Post#141 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:07 pm

I thought this was an interesting thread:
Read on Twitter

Could Nickeil Alexander-Walker lead the Wolves in 3-point attempts this season?
I feel like Ant is the odds on favorite. But NAW and Ant both shot 7.3 3s per 36 minutes last season -- and it's a near-lock that his minutes and 3pt frequency go up.
KAT is obviously the other to consider. But he hasn't really been a high volume 3-point guy since 2019.
It wouldn't be unprecedented for a bench guy to lead the team in 3s. As @KyleTheige pointed out to me last week, Malik Beasley took 637 in 21-22 to KAT's 366 -- despite KAT playing 2476 minutes to Beasley's 1976.

Another case in his favor. Very Beasley-like:
Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#142 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:47 pm

Klomp wrote:I thought this was an interesting thread:
Read on Twitter

Could Nickeil Alexander-Walker lead the Wolves in 3-point attempts this season?
I feel like Ant is the odds on favorite. But NAW and Ant both shot 7.3 3s per 36 minutes last season -- and it's a near-lock that his minutes and 3pt frequency go up.
KAT is obviously the other to consider. But he hasn't really been a high volume 3-point guy since 2019.
It wouldn't be unprecedented for a bench guy to lead the team in 3s. As @KyleTheige pointed out to me last week, Malik Beasley took 637 in 21-22 to KAT's 366 -- despite KAT playing 2476 minutes to Beasley's 1976.

Another case in his favor. Very Beasley-like:
Read on Twitter

I say no way in hell does NAW take more 3s than ANT this season. Maybe half as many.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#143 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:01 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I say no way in hell does NAW take more 3s than ANT this season. Maybe half as many.

Probably not, but it's not too crazy.

NAW this preseason was second on the team, attempting 0.3 3-pointers per minute (only behind now-waived Matt Ryan). The efficiency needs to improve, but I think they like running him in some of those Beasley actions. And we know his defense will never take him off the floor.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#144 » by shangrila » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:25 am

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I say no way in hell does NAW take more 3s than ANT this season. Maybe half as many.

NAW this preseason was second on the team, attempting 0.3 3-pointers per minute (only behind now-waived Matt Ryan). The efficiency needs to improve, but I think they like running him in some of those Beasley actions. And we know his defense will never take him off the floor.

It depends on what stat you're arguing.

I don't see any way he can lead the team in attempts as he won't get the same minutes as Ant so he'll have a lower volume. Will he lead the team in attempts per36 (or whatever other per/time number you want to use) though? Yeah, I could see it. Hell I'd love it if he followed the Malik Beasley shot chart. Just off the catch 3s and transition 2s. Combine it with his defence and that's a winning player.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#145 » by KGdaBom » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:33 am

shangrila wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I don't see any way he can lead the team in attempts as he won't get the same minutes as Ant so he'll have a lower volume. Will he lead the team in attempts per36 (or whatever other per/time number you want to use) though? Yeah, I could see it. Hell I'd love it if he followed the Malik Beasley shot chart. Just off the catch 3s and transition 2s. Combine it with his defence and that's a winning player.

Shangrila when Klomp responds to me he is seldom arguing. I also know you can make an argument without arguing. He is sharing information. Discussing. That is what I hope to do most of the time. Share thoughts and information. Not win or lose an argument. I also appreciate that your comment regarding meaningful was a sharing of thoughts and information.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#146 » by Klomp » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:38 am

shangrila wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Last season, Ant attempted 578 3s in 36.0 mpg.
In 2021-22, Malik attempted 637 3s in 25.0 mpg.

It's not apples to apples, but it's an interesting thought exercise to have.

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#147 » by shangrila » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:43 am

Klomp wrote:
shangrila wrote:
Klomp wrote:Probably not, but it's not too crazy.

Last season, Ant attempted 578 3s in 36.0 mpg.
In 2021-22, Malik attempted 637 3s in 25.0 mpg.

It's not apples to apples, but it's an interesting thought exercise to have.

From memory Malik had something like a 75% 3P attempt rate, which was absurd. Like more than anyone in the league outside of those fringe guys that are glorified victory cigars. And his actual 3pt% was almost unprecedented given the volume. I remember Steph Curry comps for that.

I don't expect NAW to have that level of efficiency, but if he could get that rate at maybe 36% from 3? With his defence? That'd be real nice.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,710

Post#148 » by shrink » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:07 am

Hello NAW!

Defensive Rating
1. Rudy Gobert • MIN 95.0
2. Karl-Anthony Towns • MIN 98.8
3. Nickeil Alexander-Walker • MIN 99.6
4. Kyle Anderson • MIN 100.1
5. Mitchell Robinson • NYK 100.7
6. Naz Reid • MIN 101.2
7. Deandre Ayton • POR 101.5
8. Anthony Edwards • MIN 101.6

12. Mike Conley
18. Jaden McDaniels
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,000

Post#149 » by wolves_89 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:17 am

shrink wrote:Hello NAW!

Defensive Rating
1. Rudy Gobert • MIN 95.0
2. Karl-Anthony Towns • MIN 98.8
3. Nickeil Alexander-Walker • MIN 99.6
4. Kyle Anderson • MIN 100.1
5. Mitchell Robinson • NYK 100.7
6. Naz Reid • MIN 101.2
7. Deandre Ayton • POR 101.5
8. Anthony Edwards • MIN 101.6

12. Mike Conley
18. Jaden McDaniels

The most impressive thing about the Wolves is that there aren't the clear defensive liabilities that killed us on that end last season. Replacing DLO, Nowell, Rivers, Forbes, and Prince with solid to plus defenders has massively increased the Wolves defensive potential.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#150 » by minimus » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:28 am

Read on Twitter

He should really look for these open mid range shots.
minimus
RealGM

Post#151 » by minimus » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:48 am

In last four games Nickeil: 8.2 ppg + 4 apg + 1.0 spg in 18.5 minutes, 59% from field, 56% from three point
Guidus88
Junior
And1: 114

Post#152 » by Guidus88 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:03 am

minimus wrote:In last four games Nickeil: 8.2 ppg + 4 apg + 1.0 spg in 18.5 minutes, 59% from field, 56% from three point

and the question is...could NAW be our starting PG of the future? He can play on and off the ball, can shoot 3s, can defend, can switch...
minimus
RealGM

Post#153 » by minimus » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:58 am

Guidus88 wrote:
minimus wrote:In last four games Nickeil: 8.2 ppg + 4 apg + 1.0 spg in 18.5 minutes, 59% from field, 56% from three point

and the question is...could NAW be our starting PG of the future? He can play on and off the ball, can shoot 3s, can defend, can switch...

Well, almost every time when Conley goes to the bench our offense struggle... Just to be clear I give you one example: our two big lineup struggle in broken field defense, because we need time to build a wall around Towns and Gobert. To limit such situations two things are critical:

1) limit our turnovers. Every our turnover will potentially create an early cross match simply when opponent will run in early offense faster than our bigs. This why Conely ability to control pace and not turn ball over is crucial

2) win rebounding battle, whole team MUST to commit to get defensive boards

Our winning streak is proving both things are crucial for this team. NAW looks good as complimentary, role player, secondary ballhandler, secondary PoA defender, 3&D player. I dont see him as Conley replacement, not yet.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,516

Post#154 » by TimberKat » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:20 pm

It's too bad JMcL got hurt again. It almost feels like he was turning into a serviceable player once he can hit the 3s. NAW isn't natural at point but he is the best option we have right now and can defend guys like Chris Paul and SGA.
minimus
RealGM

Post#155 » by minimus » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:04 pm

Read on Twitter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#156 » by Klomp » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:21 pm

I don't know if it was merely rewarding the guys who were here, but Connelly looks like a genius for giving NAW a guaranteed second year (and declining!) while Milton and TBJ got nonguaranteed second years.

TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 581

Post#157 » by TwolvesFanRome » Fri Dec 1, 2023 9:32 am

Taking him, Mike and draft picks was a real armed robbery!
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
minimus
RealGM

Post#158 » by minimus » Mon Dec 4, 2023 11:27 am

Read on Twitter

This is a very positive sign. In order to be effective in offense NAW must find his go-to move. I dont mind if it can be a mid range shot
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 414

Post#159 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Mon Dec 4, 2023 1:12 pm

NAW is still not consistent enough but improve a lot. He may become a good PG in the future. For the 3 part, i would kie to see KAT taking at least 3 more attempt per game. He is definitly our best weapon at 3. Him and ANT should take the most, others can be share by Mike, Naz, NAW....
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#160 » by Klomp » Mon Dec 4, 2023 8:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves