ImageImageImage

The Nickeil Alexander-Walker (NAW) Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Re: The Nickeil Alexander-Walker (NAW) Thread 

Post#101 » by theGreatRC » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:51 pm

I hope we re-sign him and Naz. At worst NAW will be a backup defensive PG that brings energy
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#102 » by minimus » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:34 am

N
A
W
minimus
RealGM

Post#103 » by minimus » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:06 pm

Read on Twitter

To understand how much we miss MCD. Imagine MCD taking care of Murray/Porter, while Edwards/NAW defending other perimeter players
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#104 » by Baseline81 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:12 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

To understand how much we miss MCD. Imagine MCD taking care of Murray/Porter, while Edwards/NAW defending other perimeter players

Folks outside of Minnesota simply do not understand how big of a loss McDaniels was to this team.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#105 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:36 pm

Love how well he has played. Hopefully we can bring him back on a solid deal. Let him takeover Nowells role off the bench for next season, hope he keeps working on his jumper/handle and keeps that defensive intensity.
minimus
RealGM

Post#106 » by minimus » Fri May 5, 2023 7:55 am

Can anyone clarify whether an offer 3yrs/18mil will be realistic? Is it common thing if we offer extension that has lower year average (6 mil) than QO (7 mil)?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,710

Post#107 » by shrink » Fri May 5, 2023 2:26 pm

minimus wrote:Can anyone clarify whether an offer 3yrs/18mil will be realistic? Is it common thing if we offer extension that has lower year average (6 mil) than QO (7 mil)?

I think 3 for $18 is a reasonable offer.

The qualifying offer is just a one year offer a team can make to turn a UFA into an RFA, so the team has the right to match an offer from another team. I would imagine that if MIN is comfortable with 3 for $18, that they won’t flinch at 1 for $7. I also think that NAW might prefer the 3 for $18 for the security, but he may have enough in the bank already he’d be willing to bet on himself and play on a one year deal.

As for your question whether it’s common in the NBA, I would say that most players coming off four years of rookie scale don’t get QO’s. The majority haven’t been good enough to stay in the league, as younger draftee’s constantly are being added. On the other hand, for the true stars (like Ant, for example), it’s a foregone conclusion we’ll offer him a QO, but his actual salary will eventually be much higher. NAW is one of those rare players who’s been good enough but not great on multiple teams, and his QO is probably pretty close to his actual value.

Last thing I will mention is that as fans, we have a tendency to get attached to our own players, particularly underdog bench players that come through unexpectedly for us. This is not how GMs see it, and they often let go of players of this caliber (bench players), hoping to find a cheap replacement bench player in free agency. As a fan, I want to see NAW come back. I think even after four years, we still don’t know how much hidden upside he has. Keep an eye out to see if Connolly offers him the QO - that will be strong indication that they see him as part of our future, even before we see the contract.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#108 » by Slim Tubby » Fri May 5, 2023 3:43 pm

I really hope they figure out a way to bring NAW back. His hustle, defensive ability and positive aura is needed on this team to replace what we lost in Vanderbilt.
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#109 » by Baseline81 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:04 pm

Honestly, glad to have him back on a short-term deal. He and McDaniels' perimeter defense is invaluable.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#110 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:21 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Honestly, glad to have him back on a short-term deal. He and McDaniels' perimeter defense is invaluable.

We declined his option so he has to be for less than $7M. Hopefully a lot less.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,978

Post#111 » by Nick K » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:30 pm

Anybody hear what NAW signed for?
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#112 » by Krapinsky » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:52 pm

Nick K wrote:Anybody hear what NAW signed for?

2/9

Read on Twitter
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#113 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:53 pm

Nick K wrote:Anybody hear what NAW signed for?

I heard Shake was $5 million a year so the combination of NAW and Brown Jr. must have been 9.5 million or less.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#114 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 3, 2023 1:26 am

Went back to look at Hollinger's free agent rankings/valuations. NAW came in 16th among SGs:

16. Nickeil Alexander-Walker, 24, Minnesota (restricted): $5,871,067
Alexander-Walker finally seemed to get his sea legs last season, adapting to a lower-usage offensive role after being wayyyyy too thirsty for three years in New Orleans. It also helped that he shot better from the perimeter, making a career-best 38.4 percent from 3 between Utah and Minnesota.

Alexander-Walker also become an important wing defender in Minnesota, and that’s where the most promise lies; in a couple years, he could be a valuable 3-and-D wing. He still needs to prove he can shoot consistently and make better decisions when he puts it on the floor, but last season showed some real growth. Minnesota would need to make a $7 million qualifying offer to make Alexander-Walker a restricted free agent, which is slightly more than this BORD$ estimate; either way, the Wolves have enough room beneath the tax line to bring him back if they wish.

https://theathletic.com/4601685/2023/06/13/nba-free-agent-shooting-guards-in-2023-james-harden-austin-reaves/
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#115 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 3, 2023 1:58 am

Klomp wrote:Went back to look at Hollinger's free agent rankings/valuations. NAW came in 16th among SGs:

16. Nickeil Alexander-Walker, 24, Minnesota (restricted): $5,871,067
Alexander-Walker finally seemed to get his sea legs last season, adapting to a lower-usage offensive role after being wayyyyy too thirsty for three years in New Orleans. It also helped that he shot better from the perimeter, making a career-best 38.4 percent from 3 between Utah and Minnesota.

Alexander-Walker also become an important wing defender in Minnesota, and that’s where the most promise lies; in a couple years, he could be a valuable 3-and-D wing. He still needs to prove he can shoot consistently and make better decisions when he puts it on the floor, but last season showed some real growth. Minnesota would need to make a $7 million qualifying offer to make Alexander-Walker a restricted free agent, which is slightly more than this BORD$ estimate; either way, the Wolves have enough room beneath the tax line to bring him back if they wish.

https://theathletic.com/4601685/2023/06/13/nba-free-agent-shooting-guards-in-2023-james-harden-austin-reaves/

In the final analysis TC did a masterful job signing NAW, TBJ, and Shake within the $s he had available. Would we have been better off just signing one and going for a higher budget FA?
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,978

Post#116 » by Nick K » Mon Jul 3, 2023 1:59 am

From The Athletic. NAW talks about staying here.

When the season was over, the 6-6 Alexander-Walker said he hoped to return to Minnesota, where he felt he found a real role after bouncing around to three teams in four seasons.

“It’s like I needed to find stability in what I can appreciate,” Alexander-Walker said after the Nuggets eliminated the Wolves. “Because it can be taken away. And I’m grateful for the opportunity that I’ve been given after all I’ve been through, but I know it can be taken away again.

“For me, it’s continuing to work. To be appreciative of anything that comes my way, because I’m living the dream.”
------------------

Talk about pithy comments from a NBA player. I'm impressed. NAW totally gets it. There was never a doubt he wanted to stay here. He's easy to root for.

I was wrong about Nowell developing here but I'll take NAW anyday.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#117 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:21 pm

Chris Finch mentioned on KFAN that this is the first time Nickeil is going through a summer without changing teams or coaches as a pro. Kinda crazy!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM

Post#118 » by minimus » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:58 pm

Klomp wrote:Chris Finch mentioned on KFAN that this is the first time Nickeil is going through a summer without changing teams or coaches as a pro. Kinda crazy!

Hopefully it means full offseason to improve his shooting, mid range game and finishing
DoctaJ
Sixth Man
And1: 401

Post#119 » by DoctaJ » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:54 pm

minimus wrote:
Klomp wrote:Chris Finch mentioned on KFAN that this is the first time Nickeil is going through a summer without changing teams or coaches as a pro. Kinda crazy!

Hopefully it means full offseason to improve his shooting, mid range game and finishing

Will likely (highly hoping) be playing in the FIBA Basketball World Cup this summer as well as he's one of our 14 commits.
minimus
RealGM

Post#120 » by minimus » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:30 pm

DoctaJ wrote:
minimus wrote:

Will likely (highly hoping) be playing in the FIBA Basketball World Cup this summer as well as he's one of our 14 commits.

This is totally fine because NAW has not played much in NBA career and is only 24yo. He needs as much as possible experience.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves