ImageImageImage

Identity crisis?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,733

Re: Identity crisis? 

Post#241 » by shrink » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:15 pm

minimus wrote:We need a backup for Conley it is an obvious issue, because when he is tired our offense struggles mightily.

I think this is an expectation, not a fact. I think when you see Conley have a bad game, you choose the reason must be that he’s tired.

In fact, Finch mentioned last month that he has been aware of Conley’s age, and tried resting him in the final game of back-to-backs. Conley fought that, and Finch said, OK, prove it to me. He said Mike was right, he actually played better in the second game of back-to-backs.

I think Mike is bound to have a few bad games now and then. But I don’t think we can leap to the conclusion that when he does, it must be because he’s tired, and further, that a better back-up PG will fix the problem.
Guest84
Senior
And1: 358

Post#242 » by Guest84 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:03 pm

I don't really want another aging vet on the team but what are your thoughts if CP3 is bought out?
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,260

Post#243 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:26 pm

Guest84 wrote:I don't really want another aging vet on the team but what are your thoughts if CP3 is bought out?

We need all the aging vets we can get.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,733

Post#244 » by shrink » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:10 pm

Guest84 wrote:I don't really want another aging vet on the team but what are your thoughts if CP3 is bought out?

That’s my hope!
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#245 » by Klomp » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:16 pm

Here's the thing...
Is backup PG a need? Yes.
Is it the No. 1 need? I'm not so sure.

People point to the late-game offense and Conley's age as the reasons. These are valid reasons. But do they get to the root of the problem?

Why does the offense stagnate in late-game situations? This isn't just a Conley issue, as the issue has popped up in these situations while Conley has been on the court.

I think the issue of off-ball shooters stretching the floor might be just as critical. Why does Finch like to go to lineups with both Conley and McLaughlin on the floor? Because it gets a 44% 3-point shooter off the ball. If we could get one more floor spacer to open things up, suddenly the paint opens up and the driving lanes open up. It's also critical that our shooters show a willingness to shoot. That was one of my biggest takeaways from the loss the other night. Towns was finally willing to shoot open shots, but then no one else would join the party because he was on such a heater. We can't win with only one or two guys willing to space the floor.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,518

Post#246 » by TimberKat » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:32 am

Klomp wrote:Here's the thing...
Is backup PG a need? Yes.
Is it the No. 1 need? I'm not so sure.

People point to the late-game offense and Conley's age as the reasons. These are valid reasons. But do they get to the root of the problem?

Why does the offense stagnate in late-game situations? This isn't just a Conley issue, as the issue has popped up in these situations while Conley has been on the court.

I think the issue of off-ball shooters stretching the floor might be just as critical. Why does Finch like to go to lineups with both Conley and McLaughlin on the floor? Because it gets a 44% 3-point shooter off the ball. If we could get one more floor spacer to open things up, suddenly the paint opens up and the driving lanes open up. It's also critical that our shooters show a willingness to shoot. That was one of my biggest takeaways from the loss the other night. Towns was finally willing to shoot open shots, but then no one else would join the party because he was on such a heater. We can't win with only one or two guys willing to space the floor.

There is more than one way to skin a KAT. This team needs an upgrade to be a serious contender. Will see what Connelly can cook up.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#247 » by minimus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:14 am

Read on Twitter

Guys, I need your help. I saw this statement from Dane's tweet:
With the Wolves running more pick and roll these last few weeks, even KAT, who very rarely rolls, is going to be asked to roll more.

Now I am curious where I can find this data? I want to see numbers of pick-n-rolls vs ISO vs postups in January/Dec/Nov

If Dane is right then we confirm that Finch is moving in this direction.

P.S. I feel like both Edwards and Edwards are improving at finding Gobert this year.

Read on Twitter
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 414

Post#248 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:53 am

The problem of the 4th quarter is not a Mike problem or KAT one. It's how got the ball and run the ball movement. Look closely the 4 th when we struggle and you will from our camp Mike taking the ball, giving to Ant and sit in a corner where he can take a nap. You will also see KAT getting open space and waiting ball from ANT who almost never come. As long as we decide that our superstar should run all the ball at clutch time, it will be a problem.
I know it's a problem ANT is the image of the franchise, sell ticket , jersey and sometimes owner think more about money than winning.
But not letting KAT and Mike shooting more when they shoot 45/46% at 3 is just plain wrong. And not taking out the fact that Mike was name General Clutch at Memphis and got some of the best stat in NBA history at clutch as Finch mentionned in an ITW few days ago. And Mike beeing unselfish, he will give ball to all open player. ANT just need to put himself in the good position and he will get it.
Guest84
Senior

Post#249 » by Guest84 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:42 pm

TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,518

Post#250 » by TimberKat » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:05 pm

Guest84 wrote:https://youtu.be/C-7XGxkYMwY?si=7AoD3AjlfoRsLiAr

Seems like every basketball fan gets it. Did we ever got an explanation from Finch? Maybe he wants to use this lineup to help KA and Milton be the focal point of the offense. He wants to team to feed Gobert more :D
minimus
RealGM

Post#251 » by minimus » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:06 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I guess that is the biggest takeaway for me after DEN game:

we have enough personnel (players skills/talent) AND coaching talent/experience to implement multiple defensive schemes. After Gobert injury we went from very conservative full drop to very aggressive doubling/switching/rotating.

Read on Twitter

One signature hustle play, that caught my eyes. Nothing special, but if I think that Morris has been recovering from injuries and has played B2B games, runs back in transition... It is really impressive.

Read on Twitter
Guest84
Senior

Post#252 » by Guest84 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 pm

A break from the nonsense
minimus
RealGM

Post#253 » by minimus » Sun Apr 7, 2024 11:12 am

Do MIN have problems with opponent big scoring wings such as DDR, KD?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#254 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 7, 2024 6:57 pm

minimus wrote:Do MIN have problems with opponent big scoring wings such as DDR, KD?

I wouldn't put them in the same category, necessarily.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,474

Post#255 » by winforlose » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:44 pm

It’s more that our defense is designed to take away the 3 and the paint. This leaves open the midrange. Some teams struggle to take advantage. Other teams have midrange assassins like DDR and KD who punish us for leaving it open.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#256 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 7, 2024 8:04 pm

winforlose wrote:It’s more that our defense is designed to take away the 3 and the paint. This leaves open the midrange. Some teams struggle to take advantage. Other teams have midrange assassins like DDR and KD who punish us for leaving it open.

I agree with this. Would also throw Brandon Ingram into this group. Dejounte Murray torched us for 41 points in the first meeting. When Shai is playing his best too, it's in the midrange (or flopping his way to the line).

Those five teams are a combined 9-4 against Minnesota.

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,474

Post#257 » by winforlose » Sun Apr 7, 2024 8:33 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:It’s more that our defense is designed to take away the 3 and the paint. This leaves open the midrange. Some teams struggle to take advantage. Other teams have midrange assassins like DDR and KD who punish us for leaving it open.

I agree with this. Would also throw Brandon Ingram into this group. Dejounte Murray torched us for 41 points in the first meeting. When Shai is playing his best too, it's in the midrange (or flopping his way to the line).

Those five teams are a combined 9-4 against Minnesota.

Absolutely, and the list goes on from there. The question for the playoffs (the series format and the time off before it starts,) is whether Finch and the team can adapt the defense to account for it. During the season you don’t fix what isn’t broken and take your lumps. But in the playoffs it is all about game plan and matching up with your opponents strengths.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#258 » by KGdaBom » Sun Apr 7, 2024 8:38 pm

minimus wrote:Do MIN have problems with opponent big scoring wings such as DDR, KD?

Every team has trouble with KD. Who is DDR? Sounds like Deutch Democratic Republic.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#259 » by Klomp » Sun Apr 7, 2024 8:40 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

Every team has trouble with KD. Who is DDR? Sounds like Deutch Democratic Republic.

Take a few seconds to think about whose initials it could be...Demar DeRozan.

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#260 » by KGdaBom » Sun Apr 7, 2024 10:07 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Take a few seconds to think about whose initials it could be...Demar DeRozan.

I took a full minute to think about who's initials they were and it hurt my brain so I quit. I would initial Demar DeRozan just DD even though I get it could be DDR. I was thinking it should have been a more household name than DeRozan. Good player. I like him. DDR will always mean East Germany to me.
I googled it and first thing that came up was Dance Dance Revolution, Than East Germany, Than DDR ram.

East Germany

Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › East_Germany
The official name was Deutsche Demokratische Republik (German Democratic Republic), usually abbreviated to DDR (GDR).

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves