Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Re: 2023 Free Agency 

Post#1101 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:16 pm

Klomp wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
NebWolvesFan wrote:Warren is 30 and Morris is 35. If he finishes the season strong, he's a good candidate for a cheap deal next year. Morris is at the end of the line. And also, Philly fans this year were happy to see him go. I'm all for taking a swing on the younger guy.

He burned all his bridges in LA as well.

To be fair, we had the same beliefs about Patrick Beverley when we first traded for him too

Maybe not all of us. I loved the move at the time.

I lived in LA when Bev was a Clipper and I heard nothing but good things about him from teammates, coaches and media. And everyone still talked glowingly after he was gone.

Morris alienated the organization off the court and played his way out of the rotation on it.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#1102 » by minimus » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:42 pm

Read on Twitter
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,703

Post#1103 » by shrink » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:37 pm

This makes Warren playoff eligible.

His 20 games on the vet min for the season will push our payroll up by about $500,000, so still about $1 mil under.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,471

Post#1104 » by winforlose » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:37 pm

shrink wrote:This makes Warren playoff eligible.

His 20 games on the vet min for the season will push our payroll up by about $500,000, so still about $1 mil under.

In other words, unless we win the championship, we will not be in the tax.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,711

Post#1105 » by Shaka_Zulu » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:06 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

I guess we couldn't find someone else? Because he has been very underwhelming with flat shot and looking really slow out there.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,513

Post#1106 » by TimberKat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:34 pm

winforlose wrote:

If we do win the championship, everyone ( with a few exceptions) would be very happy to paid the tax.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#1107 » by TimberKat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:38 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

I guess we couldn't find someone else? Because he has been very underwhelming with flat shot and looking really slow out there.

That is one way to look at it. I think we need scoring and also wing defense against DAL, SAC and PHX and he can do some of that better than what we had before.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1108 » by winforlose » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:18 pm

TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:

If we do win the championship, everyone ( with a few exceptions) would be very happy to paid the tax.

Those of us who were on the dump WMJ train realized that going into the tax this year might shorten the window by 1 year. Had we dumped WMJ then we could sign anyone and still pay Mike’s bonus without going into the tax. It was a blunder. But I agree that winning a title this year is far more important than extending the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#1109 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:07 pm

winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Those of us who were on the dump WMJ train realized that going into the tax this year might shorten the window by 1 year. Had we dumped WMJ then we could sign anyone and still pay Mike’s bonus without going into the tax. It was a blunder. But I agree that winning a title this year is far more important than extending the window.

If we win a title this year, extending our window to win a title kinda becomes moot, no?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1110 » by winforlose » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:10 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:If we do win the championship, everyone ( with a few exceptions) would be very happy to paid the tax.

If we win a title this year, extending our window to win a title kinda becomes moot, no?

Only if your goal is 1 title ;)
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#1111 » by TimberKat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:35 pm

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:

We want to win not one, not two, not three but seven championships.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,018

Post#1112 » by Domejandro » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:33 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:If we do win the championship, everyone ( with a few exceptions) would be very happy to paid the tax.

If anything, that is more reason why it is stupid to enter the Repeater Tax for no reason a year early on a Championship caliber team. Why push forward the financial window like that?

It was just exceptionally poor cap management by Tim Connelly that I (frankly) will never understand.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1113 » by winforlose » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:48 pm

TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:If we win a title this year, extending our window to win a title kinda becomes moot, no?

We want to win not one, not two, not three but seven championships.

If they are good enough this year, why not next year? The team is basically the same next year and Ant and Jaden would be older and with championship experience. You think the hunger will be gone for Karl, Mike, Rudy? Mike wants a legacy. Rudy and Karl both want to shut up the critics. Plus a small market repeat would be legendary.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,000

Post#1114 » by wolves_89 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:23 pm

My guess is that a bit of the remaining space under the tax gets used to move Garza to a pro-rated Gupta special shortly before the playoffs.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#1115 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:25 pm

winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Maybe no one wanted him without us attaching a draft pick?
shrink
RealGM

Post#1116 » by shrink » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:06 am

Domejandro wrote:
Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:

If anything, that is more reason why it is stupid to enter the Repeater Tax for no reason a year early on a Championship caliber team. Why push forward the financial window like that?

It was just exceptionally poor cap management by Tim Connelly that I (frankly) will never understand.

While I championed the idea of trading WMJ into cap space, in Connelly’s defense, that is not a common move by a GM. GM’s wear a bunch of different caps, and he clearly has been excellent in his career in the organization’s top down direction and he’s fantastic at talent evaluation and projection in the draft and in trades. He has a background scouting. But those skills don’t always mean a GM is perfect at cap management.

Also, while a WMJ trade would have been a good move from my vantage point, I’m just a guy that reads the internet. There can be many reasons we don’t hear about that would make it more reasonable to keep WMJ.

For example, (and this is all fiction), suppose Connelly went to Taylor, Lore and ARod and said he wants to fire WMJ to dodge the chance that they might face lux taxes and the repeater down the road. Maybe they say they’ve met him and like the kid, and if they don’t fire him and MIN makes the NBA Finals, they’ll be making much more money and they won’t care about lux taxes this year or down the road. Personally I would hope a GM has full autonomy, but these teams belong in to the owners, and all owners meddle to one degree (Mark Cuban, James Dolan) or another (Harris/Blitzer hands off through PHI’s process).

Or maybe he couldn’t find a trade partner with cap space or a TPE that would take WMJ on for a reasonable price?

I’m not saying this move shouldn’t have been made. In fact, Connelly has made me very happy making almost every move I’ve liked (and doing better negotiating than I expect, with cheaper contracts or added assets in trades)! I’m just saying that I don’t necessarily have all the facts that would lead into the decision. I just hope this doesn’t come back to bite us in the ass.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#1117 » by minimus » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:59 am

Shaka_Zulu wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well, I dont expect much from 10 days contract guy, because of number of reasons, but I find Warren to be a useful addition.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1118 » by shrink » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:53 pm

minimus wrote:Well, I dont expect much from 10 days contract guy, because of number of reasons, but I find Warren to be a useful addition.

True. Anyone remember our previous 10-day pick up, Justin Jackson? If you blinked, you missed him - he played 41 seconds.

Warren played 98 minutes on his first two 10-days, seven games total.

Last year people wondered if SloMo was our best free agent signee in history? I wonder if TJ Warren is our best 10-day?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#1119 » by Klomp » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:59 pm

shrink wrote:Last year people wondered if SloMo was our best free agent signee in history? I wonder if TJ Warren is our best 10-day?

HOW DARE YOU!

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves