2023 Free Agency

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,471

Re: 2023 Free Agency 

Post#1021 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:02 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:Am I missing something or isn’t the waiting period 48 hours for him to clear waivers? I might be misremembering, but we were talking about this before the break.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

You are correct. He does not become a Free Agent until 48 hours after being waived.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q64

And he absolutely will clear waivers. No team is going to pick up his 17M salary.

Right, but to be clear, he is still playoff eligible because he began the process before March 1st.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,259

Post#1022 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:05 am

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:Am I missing something or isn’t the waiting period 48 hours for him to clear waivers? I might be misremembering, but we were talking about this before the break.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

You are correct. He does not become a Free Agent until 48 hours after being waived.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q64

And he absolutely will clear waivers. No team is going to pick up his 17M salary.

Right, but to be clear, he is still playoff eligible because he began the process before March 1st.

The process of him being waived is over. The Spurs can't "take it back". So he's Playoff eligible as long as he signs before the end of the season.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,123

Post#1023 » by m2002brian » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:11 am

Excellent work guys.

If we manage to sign him, that would be huge. He can fill in for Kyle when we need less point forward and more 3pt spacing. Yet still not see the defense drop off.
BLUEGREENRED
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#1024 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:12 am

m2002brian wrote:Excellent work guys.

If we manage to sign him, that would be huge. He can fill in for Kyle when we need less point forward and more 3pt spacing. Yet still not see the defense drop off.

The defense will absolutely drop, but hopefully the shooting will make up for it.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,123

Post#1025 » by m2002brian » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:13 am

BlacJacMac wrote:

The defense will absolutely drop, but hopefully the shooting will make up for it.

Possibly, but if he’s able space us better, thus increasing our offensive production, it reduces the other teams transition opportunities.
BLUEGREENRED
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#1026 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:16 am

m2002brian wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Possibly, but if he’s able space us better, thus increasing our offensive production, it reduces the other teams transition opportunities.

That'll help, but he's just not nearly as good of a defender as SloMo - who has bailed us out a number of times this year on that end.

My guess is if we sign him, he's clearly our 10th man and he plays some games and not others.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,518

Post#1027 » by TimberKat » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:28 am

m2002brian wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Is he really a locker room concern? Of all the Ant's only 22 takes, the locker room influence, continuity, and acceptable behaviors can have a dramatic impact on a very rich 22 year old and a volatile 23 year old. I supposed having ARod as owner could help with what's professional, what to leave in the closet, and what to bring to the court.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1028 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:38 am

TimberKat wrote:
m2002brian wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Is he really a locker room concern? Of all the Ant's only 22 takes, the locker room influence, continuity, and acceptable behaviors can have a dramatic impact on a very rich 22 year old and a volatile 23 year old. I supposed having ARod as owner could help with what's professional, what to leave in the closet, and what to bring to the court.

I am sorry, but with Mike, Kyle, KAT, Rudy, and Naz to balance him, I just don’t see Ant going full dark side and developing a major personality issue being around Morris for 2-4 months. Marcus would be trying to fit in and trying to find ways to get on the floor. The last way to do that with Finch and TC is misbehaving.

As for Marcus’s defense, he has a strength and physicality that will do well against big body opponents. Especially the slower more methodical ones. I think Marcus could help with a Zion, but will mostly face backups. Moreover, the floor spacing he brings hopefully keeps us out of live ball turnovers and thus makes up the half court defensive issues by eliminating some of the transition opportunities for our opponents.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#1029 » by minimus » Fri Mar 1, 2024 9:43 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274834/Jaylin-Galloway-Receiving-NBA-Interest-Following-End-Of-NBL-Season

Interesting, I dont remember Jaylin Galloway in SL. My question is: if we convert Garza to "standard" Gupta deal, should we use our two-way slot to sign an international player?

I mean the idea is to anticipate FA market, SL league etc. Same thing that we did with Conley, NAW last year, and Monte Morris this year. Jaylin Galloway is only an example, put any other interesting player here.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#1030 » by shangrila » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:46 am

Why do we want to convert Garza?

Just let him leave. I get that he's a fun story but the guy's ceiling is as a 3rd stringer. He's not someone you invest in.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#1031 » by NebWolvesFan » Fri Mar 1, 2024 3:40 pm

shangrila wrote:Why do we want to convert Garza?

Just let him leave. I get that he's a fun story but the guy's ceiling is as a 3rd stringer. He's not someone you invest in.

Just because you're third string behind two all-NBA big men and Naz Reid doesn't mean you can't be a solid back-up big in the league. That being said, I think Luka is ready to move on. He sees the wall in front of him. I don't see him returning. That being said, if he signs a Gupta special his value goes up. If he's on a four-year min deal, I could see a team giving up a second round pick for him over drafting someone in this weak draft. If he's just on a two-way and will be a restricted FA, his value goes down.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1032 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:04 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
shangrila wrote:Why do we want to convert Garza?

Just because you're third string behind two all-NBA big men and Naz Reid doesn't mean you can't be a solid back-up big in the league. That being said, I think Luka is ready to move on. He sees the wall in front of him. I don't see him returning. That being said, if he signs a Gupta special his value goes up. If he's on a four-year min deal, I could see a team giving up a second round pick for him over drafting someone in this weak draft. If he's just on a two-way and will be a restricted FA, his value goes down.

The issue with Garza is his defense. You cannot score 30+ in multiple G league games and not get the attention of the NBA team. Moreover, we have had 2 games without Rudy, 2 games without Karl, and a number of games with big leads that Garza could have gotten competitive minutes, and it never happened. You could say this is a function of our depth, but I think it is a function of Garza being too good for G and too slow/bad for the NBA. While I have no doubt some NBA team might be willing to throw a minimum at him (Detroit or Washington for example,) I have serious doubts whether he cracks their rotation if his defense is as bad as people think it is.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#1033 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:48 pm

Garza could probably get minutes on a bad team. He'd be entertaining for the fans, but won't do anything to drive winning.

He's not getting any minutes with us, in large part because our identity is defense. Not only is Luka physically limited, but he doesn't seem to grasp the concept of rotations at all.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,894

Post#1034 » by Colbinii » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:59 pm

I hate how homerish some people can be. Garza is not an NBA Rotation level player and will never be one. He is a good locker-room guy [by all accounts], he plays hard and he is useful in that he helps build a foundation of development for rookies.

He isn't worth any more than the minimum and he will never play real minutes in a playoff series.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1035 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 1, 2024 6:36 pm

My question is what is maximum dollar amount we are allowed to offer Marcus Morris this year, (using MLE money left over from the offseason,) for the 24-25 season? I am not asking about his value or what we should pay, just the literal amount we can pay if we desire?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#1036 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:58 pm

winforlose wrote:My question is what is maximum dollar amount we are allowed to offer Marcus Morris this year, (using MLE money left over from the offseason,) for the 24-25 season? I am not asking about his value or what we should pay, just the literal amount we can pay if we desire?

We have his Bird rights, I think we could offer whatever
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1037 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:06 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:My question is what is maximum dollar amount we are allowed to offer Marcus Morris this year, (using MLE money left over from the offseason,) for the 24-25 season? I am not asking about his value or what we should pay, just the literal amount we can pay if we desire?

Not Monte, Marcus Morris. We absolutely 100% for certain do not have his bird rights. They cease to exist the moment he became a free agent.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1038 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:08 pm

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Not Monte, Marcus Morris. We absolutely 100% for certain do not have his bird rights. They cease to exist the moment he became a free agent.

:lol: It's too early....
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1039 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:09 pm

Read on Twitter

winforlose
General Manager

Post#1040 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:16 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I know it is still early ;), but you know by rule we must sign a 14th player. JJ’s 10 day is ending very soon, and then we must sign someone. We could wait around two weeks to do it, (saves money, but is a bad idea,) but it must happen. The real question isn’t are we signing someone, the question is who do we sign? Personally my fingers are crossed for Marcus Morris.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves