ImageImageImage

2023 Free Agency

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,471

Re: 2023 Free Agency 

Post#1081 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:59 am

With Rudy’s ribs a concern, Karl out for the majority/entirety of the regular season, and Kyle banged up, are there any free agents Cs better than Garza?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#1082 » by minimus » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:31 am

Are you ready to give TJ second 10 day contract?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1083 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:37 pm

minimus wrote:Are you ready to give TJ second 10 day contract?

I don’t see why not. It seems clear that Marcus Morris has a foot injury. He has no rumors or signings (10 day or otherwise,) since being bought out on the last possible day. With Morris needing more time you start with TJ and perhaps consider both before the playoffs. My above question is more about another 10 day player who can defend bigs if Rudy misses a week or two with bruised ribs. I don’t want a repeat of the LAL game with Naz being owned inside and Garza being our only backup.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,719

Post#1084 » by thinktank » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:52 pm

Wouldn't be the worst idea to get a big body C.
"a poor addition to the board"
minimus
RealGM

Post#1085 » by minimus » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:10 pm

Read on Twitter
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,518

Post#1086 » by TimberKat » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:37 am

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Isn't this one a no brainer to give him the second 10 day contract? After that, then will have to be for the remainder of the season?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1087 » by winforlose » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:00 pm

TJ signed a second 10 day contract.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,257

Post#1088 » by BlacJacMac » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:19 pm

winforlose wrote:

I don’t see why not. It seems clear that Marcus Morris has a foot injury. He has no rumors or signings (10 day or otherwise,) since being bought out on the last possible day. With Morris needing more time you start with TJ and perhaps consider both before the playoffs. My above question is more about another 10 day player who can defend bigs if Rudy misses a week or two with bruised ribs. I don’t want a repeat of the LAL game with Naz being owned inside and Garza being our only backup.

He signed a 10-day with Cleveland.

So it looks like there was not mutual interest on him coming here.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1089 » by winforlose » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:26 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Either that or we decided TJ was good enough. That situation is complicated enough (he didn’t sign with anyone until March 16th,) that I really cannot understand it without more inside information.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#1090 » by BlacJacMac » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:33 pm

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Either that or we decided TJ was good enough. That situation is complicated enough (he didn’t sign with anyone until March 16th,) that I really cannot understand it without more inside information.

I don't think we were ever interested in him. He's not nearly a good enough player to put up with the kind of person he's proven to be. And I doubt we wanted that kind of attitude in our locker room. Sure, we have a lot of great vets, but Ant is still very impressionable, and Jaden has his own issues to work through.
cmoss84
Junior
And1: 93

Post#1091 » by cmoss84 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:59 pm

With Rudy out, who are available FA big men?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,711

Post#1092 » by shrink » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:10 pm

cmoss84 wrote:With Rudy out, who are available FA big men?

Funny, I had the same thought, apparently simultaneously, since I posted in another thread at the same time you posted!

shrink wrote: .. [There are] free agent bigs out there like Nerlens Noel, JaMychel Green, Rudy Gay and Derrick Favors. Maybe they assumed that these vets were too old to help. Conley would have instant familiarity with the last two.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#1093 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:39 pm

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:

I think TJ has a lot of the same positive qualities we were potentially looking for from Morris. I don't know if "baggage" or an injury is what stopped us from signing Morris, but the point is we have TJ here now.

I think a plus of Warren is that he gives the second unit a guy who can go get his own bucket. That's sorely needed right now and could prove valuable in the playoffs.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM

Post#1094 » by minimus » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:51 pm

Klomp wrote:I think TJ has a lot of the same positive qualities we were potentially looking for from Morris. I don't know if "baggage" or an injury is what stopped us from signing Morris, but the point is we have TJ here now.

I think a plus of Warren is that he gives the second unit a guy who can go get his own bucket. That's sorely needed right now and could prove valuable in the playoffs.

As long as TJ puts effort in defense and has confidence to take open shots, he is a keeper
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1095 » by winforlose » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:14 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

I think TJ has a lot of the same positive qualities we were potentially looking for from Morris. I don't know if "baggage" or an injury is what stopped us from signing Morris, but the point is we have TJ here now.

I disagree on the comparison.

1. What Morris lacks in shot creation he makes up for in floor spacing. Morris is shooting 40% from deep, TJ Warren is 1-8 from deep thus far and was shooting poorly from deep last year.

2. Morris is a big body defender with the strength to contain guys like Zion. Warren is underweight and therefore more of a defensive SF than a PF. Given that Naz and Kyle are also small when defending the C, we need that extra bulk.

3. Morris has played in 67 playoff games. Warren has played in 10. That playoff experience would have come in real handy.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#1096 » by NebWolvesFan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:22 pm

Warren is 30 and Morris is 35. If he finishes the season strong, he's a good candidate for a cheap deal next year. Morris is at the end of the line. And also, Philly fans this year were happy to see him go. I'm all for taking a swing on the younger guy.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1097 » by winforlose » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:23 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:Warren is 30 and Morris is 35. If he finishes the season strong, he's a good candidate for a cheap deal next year. Morris is at the end of the line. And also, Philly fans this year were happy to see him go. I'm all for taking a swing on the younger guy.

Fair. Then why not take both? We have the roster spot, and the cap space.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,000

Post#1098 » by wolves_89 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:09 pm

I think the roster we have now is pretty much set. About the only change I could see would be to move Garza to a regular contract if KAT doesn't look like he will be back for the playoffs.

As far as TJ Warren, I'd guess he gets a prorated minimum deal after his current 10-day runs out. With that said, I'd love to see Finch give Minott a chance at the open forward minutes since TJ has been pretty awful on both ends. Maybe Warren can get on track, but I'm not overly optimistic about what he can provide the rest of the way.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#1099 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:45 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:Warren is 30 and Morris is 35. If he finishes the season strong, he's a good candidate for a cheap deal next year. Morris is at the end of the line. And also, Philly fans this year were happy to see him go. I'm all for taking a swing on the younger guy.

He burned all his bridges in LA as well.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#1100 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:56 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:

He burned all his bridges in LA as well.

To be fair, we had the same beliefs about Patrick Beverley when we first traded for him too
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves