Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Re: 2023 Free Agency 

Post#1041 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 1, 2024 9:11 pm

winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I know it is still early ;), but you know by rule we must sign a 14th player. JJ’s 10 day is ending very soon, and then we must sign someone. We could wait around two weeks to do it, (saves money, but is a bad idea,) but it must happen. The real question isn’t are we signing someone, the question is who do we sign? Personally my fingers are crossed for Marcus Morris.

Yes I am aware. What that clip tells me is that Marcus might be angling for more than a minimum.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#1042 » by shangrila » Fri Mar 1, 2024 9:13 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
shangrila wrote:Why do we want to convert Garza?

Just let him leave. I get that he's a fun story but the guy's ceiling is as a 3rd stringer. He's not someone you invest in.

Just because you're third string behind two all-NBA big men and Naz Reid doesn't mean you can't be a solid back-up big in the league. That being said, I think Luka is ready to move on. He sees the wall in front of him. I don't see him returning. That being said, if he signs a Gupta special his value goes up. If he's on a four-year min deal, I could see a team giving up a second round pick for him over drafting someone in this weak draft. If he's just on a two-way and will be a restricted FA, his value goes down.

I disagree. He's slow-footed defensively in a league where matchup-hunting is the norm. I don't see any serious team giving him minutes outside of absolute desperation
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,259

Post#1043 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:09 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I know it is still early ;), but you know by rule we must sign a 14th player. JJ’s 10 day is ending very soon, and then we must sign someone. We could wait around two weeks to do it, (saves money, but is a bad idea,) but it must happen. The real question isn’t are we signing someone, the question is who do we sign? Personally my fingers are crossed for Marcus Morris.

Yes I am aware. What that clip tells me is that Marcus might be angling for more than a minimum.

Probably. Especially since it apparently turns out the delay in waiving him was at his request. He knew he was going to lose a lot of money on the buyout, so the longer he stayed a Spur, the more money he'd collect.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,471

Post#1044 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:05 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Probably. Especially since it apparently turns out the delay in waiving him was at his request. He knew he was going to lose a lot of money on the buyout, so the longer he stayed a Spur, the more money he'd collect.

I considered that. The delay also saves us money, so it might have been at our instruction. That said, he cannot join until March 2nd, and not having the break to integrate him into our practices and schemes will slow the process of getting him ready to contribute. Especially with 3 weeks of rust since his initial trade.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#1045 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:41 pm

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I considered that. The delay also saves us money, so it might have been at our instruction. That said, he cannot join until March 2nd, and not having the break to integrate him into our practices and schemes will slow the process of getting him ready to contribute. Especially with 3 weeks of rust since his initial trade.

It saves us pennies compared to actual dollars he kept as a Spur.

3 weeks of a 17M contract is significant money. 3 weeks of what we want to pay him, not so much.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1046 » by winforlose » Sat Mar 2, 2024 12:05 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

3 weeks of a 17M contract is significant money. 3 weeks of what we want to pay him, not so much.

Depends on what we pay him. Also remember with JMAC’s incentives money could get tight. Mike’s will for sure put us over the tax.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#1047 » by BlacJacMac » Sat Mar 2, 2024 12:12 am

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Depends on what we pay him. Also remember with JMAC’s incentives money could get tight. Mike’s will for sure put us over the tax.

Its going to be a lot less than 17M...
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,018

Post#1048 » by Domejandro » Sat Mar 2, 2024 12:16 am

It is definitely a real salary cap pickle! If only Minnesota had a non-rotational player making $2,421,720 who could have easily been moved prior to the Trade Deadline…
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1049 » by winforlose » Sat Mar 2, 2024 12:28 am

Domejandro wrote:It is definitely a real salary cap pickle! If only Minnesota had a non-rotational player making $2,421,720 who could have easily been moved prior to the Trade Deadline…

Whose name could be summed up in 3 simple initials like WMJ… for example ;)
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,518

Post#1050 » by TimberKat » Sat Mar 2, 2024 1:08 am

winforlose wrote:
Domejandro wrote:It is definitely a real salary cap pickle! If only Minnesota had a non-rotational player making $2,421,720 who could have easily been moved prior to the Trade Deadline…

Whose name could be summed up in 3 simple initials like WMJ… for example ;)

You mean a guy like Will Avery?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#1051 » by minimus » Sat Mar 2, 2024 1:20 pm

minimus wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274834/Jaylin-Galloway-Receiving-NBA-Interest-Following-End-Of-NBL-Season

Interesting, I dont remember Jaylin Galloway in SL. My question is: if we convert Garza to "standard" Gupta deal, should we use our two-way slot to sign an international player?

I mean the idea is to anticipate FA market, SL league etc. Same thing that we did with Conley, NAW last year, and Monte Morris this year. Jaylin Galloway is only an example, put any other interesting player here.

Australian wing Jaylin Galloway plans to sign a two-year, two-way deal with the Milwaukee Bucks, sources told ESPN.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#1052 » by minimus » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:04 pm

Will TJ Warren be eligible for playoffs?
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#1053 » by BlacJacMac » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:21 pm

minimus wrote:Will TJ Warren be eligible for playoffs?

Yes.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,000

Post#1054 » by wolves_89 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 7:34 pm

Does anyone know why TJ Warren went unsigned for the past 10 months? He played real minutes for the Suns in last years playoffs then just kind of disappeared. He's only 30, so it's not like he aged out of the NBA.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1055 » by winforlose » Sat Mar 2, 2024 7:38 pm

JJ is on a ten day that is ending. TJ takes roster spot 14 with this 10 day. As far as I know, this signing does not preclude a Morris signing while keeping us under the tax. This could be a tryout, out maybe we plan to go 15 deep for depth. Bizarre, but hopefully nothing problematic.

Edit to update: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/minnesota-timberwolves-sign-t-j-warren-to-10-day-contract-does-this-impact-marcus-morris/ar-BB1jdJGC

Article says we have had eyes on TJ since before the season started. It says JJ is expiring on March 3rd, and it talks about Lance Steponson who some of you want us to sign.

Not in the article but found on spotrac, JJ cost us 116k toward the tax line. TJ would probably cost less (pro rated per day.) Depending on what we pay Morris and if we drop JJ a day early or if it takes a day to finalize everything, Morris could be a wolf by Sunday.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1056 » by winforlose » Sat Mar 2, 2024 7:52 pm

wolves_89 wrote:Does anyone know why TJ Warren went unsigned for the past 10 months? He played real minutes for the Suns in last years playoffs then just kind of disappeared. He's only 30, so it's not like he aged out of the NBA.

Found an article about this. Link below. This quote is from TJ himself.

“ On his health:

“I’m 100 percent healthy now. The foot injuries were a part of my career during those two years. I feel like I was reaching a crazy pinnacle right around the bubble. It was a great situation. Unfortunately, I had the injuries, and it set me back a little bit. I want to go out there and prove myself like I always have my whole career, being kind of under the radar. I feel like my production speaks for itself. I understand the concerns because two years was a long time, especially when you don’t know the situation thoroughly, but I’m completely healthy now and looking forward to the opportunity to prove myself again.””

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/11/t-j-warren-eyeing-nba-return-says-hes-fully-healthy.html

I think TJ and TC might have some kind of relationship, as the other article I posted below said TJ was someone the Wolves have been keeping an eye on since before the season.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#1057 » by shangrila » Sat Mar 2, 2024 8:06 pm

You keep presenting this opinion like a fact. It isn't.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#1058 » by BlacJacMac » Sat Mar 2, 2024 9:54 pm

Warren comes to Minnesota as he engineers a revitalization of his once-promising career. The 30-year-old wing is four years removed from playing a crucial role for the Indiana Pacers, culminating in his explosion during the NBA’s Covid bubble, averaging 20 points, 6.3 rebounds, and 3 assists. That run, of course, was headlined by a career-high 53 points back on August 1, 2020. Warren’s career appeared clear for take-off, until suffering a stress fracture in his left foot on December 29th, 2020, just four games into the young 2020-21 season.

https://www.canishoopus.com/2024/3/2/24088601/wolves-to-sign-tj-warren-to-10-day-contract-tim-connelly-nba-playoffs-pacers-suns-nets
shangrila
RealGM

Post#1059 » by shangrila » Sat Mar 2, 2024 10:37 pm

It's a nice signing to address an issue we currently have, namely perimeter self-creation outside of Ant.

I'd be amazed if he had any serious impact on the team but it's worth taking a shot on.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#1060 » by Klomp » Sun Mar 3, 2024 12:41 am

TJ Warren has a lot of similar attractive traits as Marcus Morris
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves