ImageImageImage

The Official Jaylen Clark Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Re: The Official Jaylen Clark Thread 

Post#21 » by BlacJacMac » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:31 pm

minimus wrote:...and (if it is possible) some kind of financial support (rent, travel costs to be with team) in case he doesn't have NBA contract.

That's how you lose 1st round draft picks.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#22 » by minimus » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:43 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
minimus wrote:...and (if it is possible) some kind of financial support (rent, travel costs to be with team) in case he doesn't have NBA contract.

That's how you lose 1st round draft picks.

Yeah, that's why I am not a GM :)
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#23 » by younggunsmn » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:19 am

Domejandro wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:
Domejandro wrote:My guess is that Jaylen Clark will sign for one year with the Iowa Wolves (as a good faith way to make sure he is fairly compensated while given access to team resources), and then be transitioned to a two-way contract the following season.

Minnesota is definitely a ways out from this pick returning on-the-court value, but I really like this approach, especially given the team's pick situation, moving forward.

You know a 2-way contract was my first thought, but listening to TC talk about him I'm going to say he gets a minimum 3 or 4 year Gupta special with only the first year guaranteed. It's a good trade off for him as he gets guaranteed money and access to pro facilities for his rehab as a tradeoff for an extra year or two of team control.
We can't really afford to let assets walk for nothing and letting him sign an Iowa contract would be relinquishing our rights
The 2 ways have trended as being easier to use for fill-ins/injury depth and I expect us to use them that way again this year.

Clark does look truly elite on defense, does an amazing job of navigating screens and has great awareness and quick hands.
I can see us drafting him to develop into our own Bruce Brown.

That said, he is truly awful in half court offense.
No burst, mediocre size, and terrible shooting mechanics.
He would be unplayable right now as is.
A lot of work ahead both in injury recovery and fixing his shot to find any meaningful minutes at the NBA level.

Minnesota would not lose Jaylen Clark's rights if he signs with the Iowa Wolves. It is functionally no different than when players are stashed in Europe (or when First Round Pick Josh Huestis signed with the Oklahoma City Blue for a season).

While it isn't out of the question, signing the #53 overall pick who literally can't play for the majority of the season to a two-way contract doesn't add up to me at all. Minnesota is far better positioned to roll his rights over for a season.

Hmmm. You are saying G-League players work like FIBA players in that if they spend the season playing in a non-NBA league you retain the draft rights? And other teams can't just poach them. Had not heard that.
I guess as long as he's paid and playing organized basketball you retain the rights?

We have to offer him a one year tender to retain his rights. That can be rookie minimum and unguaranteed.
When 2nd round picks end up on two ways, those are usually negotiated so the player gets guaranteed money.
2nd round picks can just sign the one year tender and roll the dice, with no guaranteed money, but become RFA's the next summer (Charles Bassey one example who did that).
Clark is in a unique situation in that he can just sit out the year due to the injury.

Either way, I expect him at least on a two way so he has access to our main facility and doctors/trainers for his rehab.

An NBA rookie minimum deal for him would actually save us 900k against the cap (1.1 mil vs 2 mil for a 2 year or more vet) vs a vet minimum signing.

Thus my suggestion that we cut him a Gupta special with years 2/3 unguaranteed and using 2 ways as injury/depth fill ins.

But he was the 53rd pick. Depends on how much they like him, could not even get signed if a better player comes along and we need a spot.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#24 » by Biff Cooper » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:37 pm

Two way probably makes the most sense. We could also possibly petition the NBA to let us sign him to a entry level "Gupta Special" contract and get an injury exemption for his roster spot to bring in someone else, giving him the entire year to get healthy and workout in our facilities.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#25 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 1, 2023 5:13 am

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 7, 2023 12:21 am

Read on Twitter

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#27 » by urinesane » Fri Jul 7, 2023 12:31 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I wonder if they'll be able to get an exception to fill that roster spot.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#28 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Jul 7, 2023 12:42 am

You mean a 4th 2-way?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 7, 2023 12:46 am

urinesane wrote:I wonder if they'll be able to get an exception to fill that roster spot.

I doubt it.

So it looks like we have one active roster spot and one two-way spot open at the moment.

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#30 » by minimus » Fri Jul 7, 2023 9:45 am

Read on Twitter

Sound like a path for Clarke as well? Two-way this season, multi-year contract next year?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 7, 2023 5:55 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sound like a path for Clarke as well? Two-way this season, multi-year contract next year?

Decent chance....

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#32 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 7, 2023 8:01 pm

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Decent chance....

I think it's a worthwhile gamble. If Liddell makes a strong recovery he has a decent chance at being a decent NBA player. I'd place Clarke at a notch below Liddell.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 7, 2023 8:22 pm

Read on Twitter

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 7, 2023 8:25 pm

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 7, 2023 8:29 pm

I've just been deep diving a bit on him. I love hearing about his mindset and his commitment to the defensive end.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 7, 2023 8:46 pm

If you got some time to kill, this was probably his biggest game of the season. On offense, going for 23/10 on just 12 shots. Defensively, shutting down Keyonte George (note: the guy the Jazz drafted with our pick). George finished with 4 points on 2-10 FG with 4 turnovers.

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#37 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 7, 2023 10:28 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

What we all knew is now official. :D
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,000

Post#38 » by wolves_89 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 10:50 pm

It's really nice that the NBA added a third two-way contract for teams. The Wolves can stash Clark for a year and still have a couple of two-way spots to work with.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#39 » by younggunsmn » Sat Jul 8, 2023 7:51 pm

Klomp wrote:If you got some time to kill, this was probably his biggest game of the season. On offense, going for 23/10 on just 12 shots. Defensively, shutting down Keyonte George (note: the guy the Jazz drafted with our pick). George finished with 4 points on 2-10 FG with 4 turnovers.

Thanks I sat down and watched this. Some takeaways:

All 10 of Clark's made FG's came in the paint. Mostly on backdoor cherry picking, one transition dunk.
Nothing that is going to translate to the next level where guys are longer and stronger on the interior.
Two brutally awful 3 point attempts.
Did the dirty work area things well, made smart plays. High IQ as advertised.
Was basically useless in the 2nd half standing in the corner on offense as Baylor was able to totally ignore him.

George looked bad, but he mostly was getting in his own way missing long jumpers.
Clark guarded him a bit, but they switched off a lot.
Flagler and Cryer did the bulk of the ballhandling for Baylor (and honestly are much better offensive players than George at this point).

Baylor ran a very pro-style perimeter based 4 out offense.
UCLA very old school, mostly high pick and roll 2 man game and post ups for Jacquez (Heat 1st rounder) who I was also less than impressed with. Clark got the bulk of his points in the 1st half while Jacquez was sitting with foul trouble.

Take away:
Clark doesn't have even NCAA level ball handling or shooting skills for a guard, but has all the intangible glue guy stuff.
Looked like a poor man's Wendell Moore Jr to me.
George getting drafted that high, to me, looks all athleticism/projection at this point.
Checked his stats last year, .376 FG% and .338 3PT%. Brutal.

I read Flagler signed with the Thunder as an UDFA, but don't see him on the summer league roster.
Seems to have quickness and NBA shooting range, good % in college.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:36 am

Read on Twitter

Jaylen Clark's two-way contract with the Minnesota Timberwolves is for two seasons, a league source told @spotrac.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves