ImageImageImage

The Official Jaylen Clark Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Re: The Official Jaylen Clark Thread 

Post#41 » by minimus » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:51 am

Klomp wrote:Jaylen Clark's two-way contract with the Minnesota Timberwolves is for two seasons, a league source told @spotrac.

I did not know that two-way can be for two years. Might be really underrated decision moving forward
minimus
RealGM

Post#42 » by minimus » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:55 am

younggunsmn wrote:Clark doesn't have even NCAA level ball handling or shooting skills for a guard, but has all the intangible glue guy stuff.
Looked like a poor man's Wendell Moore Jr to me.
George getting drafted that high, to me, looks all athleticism/projection at this point.
Checked his stats last year, .376 FG% and .338 3PT%. Brutal.

I read Flagler signed with the Thunder as an UDFA, but don't see him on the summer league roster.
Seems to have quickness and NBA shooting range, good % in college.

I really struggle to find any comparision. He looks like old time defensive guards Tony Allen, André Roberson. He does not have much skills except of NBA level hustle, strength and effort. Even athletically he is not elite. If he can add game awareness and spotup 3pt shot, he will be 8-9 man in rotation.
twolves31
Junior
And1: 255

Post#43 » by twolves31 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:09 pm

younggunsmn wrote:
Klomp wrote:If you got some time to kill, this was probably his biggest game of the season. On offense, going for 23/10 on just 12 shots. Defensively, shutting down Keyonte George (note: the guy the Jazz drafted with our pick). George finished with 4 points on 2-10 FG with 4 turnovers.

Thanks I sat down and watched this. Some takeaways:

All 10 of Clark's made FG's came in the paint. Mostly on backdoor cherry picking, one transition dunk.
Nothing that is going to translate to the next level where guys are longer and stronger on the interior.
Two brutally awful 3 point attempts.
Did the dirty work area things well, made smart plays. High IQ as advertised.
Was basically useless in the 2nd half standing in the corner on offense as Baylor was able to totally ignore him.

George looked bad, but he mostly was getting in his own way missing long jumpers.
Clark guarded him a bit, but they switched off a lot.
Flagler and Cryer did the bulk of the ballhandling for Baylor (and honestly are much better offensive players than George at this point).

Baylor ran a very pro-style perimeter based 4 out offense.
UCLA very old school, mostly high pick and roll 2 man game and post ups for Jacquez (Heat 1st rounder) who I was also less than impressed with. Clark got the bulk of his points in the 1st half while Jacquez was sitting with foul trouble.

Take away:
Clark doesn't have even NCAA level ball handling or shooting skills for a guard, but has all the intangible glue guy stuff.
George getting drafted that high, to me, looks all athleticism/projection at this point.

I read Flagler signed with the Thunder as an UDFA, but don't see him on the summer league roster.

Maybe a poor man Wendell Moore with almost double the steals...1.4 vs 2.6 Both Clarke and Wendell are going to have to develop a few go to offensive shots/moves.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#44 » by Mattya » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:16 pm

Either people are overeating moored defense or underrating Clark’s.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#45 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:04 pm

He's going to absolutely need to develop some kind of offense.

Look at Okogie. Yeah, he was a fun story for Phoenix last year - but that was fueled by a couple months of outlier 3pt shooting on very limited attempts. And then he turned back into Josh Okogie.

Denver totally played him off the floor in the Playoffs. You'd think they'd want to put him on Murray like we did with NAW, but he let Denver play 5 on 4 defense when he was in there.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#46 » by shangrila » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:49 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:He's going to absolutely need to develop some kind of offense.

Look at Okogie. Yeah, he was a fun story for Phoenix last year - but that was fueled by a couple months of outlier 3pt shooting on very limited attempts. And then he turned back into Josh Okogie.

Denver totally played him off the floor in the Playoffs. You'd think they'd want to put him on Murray like we did with NAW, but he let Denver play 5 on 4 defense when he was in there.

That's the insane thing about Okogie. With an average 3pt shot he's one of the most valuable role players in the entire NBA. But he just can't do it, I've never understood why.

As for Clark, he reminds me of Malcolm Lee a little and I honestly expect a similar career trajectory.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#47 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:39 pm

The comp I was actually thinking is a better human version of Dillon Brooks
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#48 » by younggunsmn » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:25 pm

minimus wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:Clark doesn't have even NCAA level ball handling or shooting skills for a guard, but has all the intangible glue guy stuff.

I really struggle to find any comparision. He looks like old time defensive guards Tony Allen, André Roberson. He does not have much skills except of NBA level hustle, strength and effort. Even athletically he is not elite. If he can add game awareness and spotup 3pt shot, he will be 8-9 man in rotation.

Yeah there is a big gap between having high effort and IQ, and having those things plus elite length and athleticism like Jaden MsDaniels. Would profile like Trenton Hassell, but you can't play that physical anymore.
With the 2 year 2 way contract, he has time to work on his offensive skills.
minimus
RealGM

Post#49 » by minimus » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:12 am

younggunsmn wrote:
minimus wrote:

Yeah there is a big gap between having high effort and IQ, and having those things plus elite length and athleticism like Jaden MsDaniels. Would profile like Trenton Hassell, but you can't play that physical anymore.
With the 2 year 2 way contract, he has time to work on his offensive skills.

Dear Lord, Trenton Hassel... Good old days..
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,000

Post#50 » by wolves_89 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:36 pm

shangrila wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:He's going to absolutely need to develop some kind of offense.

That's the insane thing about Okogie. With an average 3pt shot he's one of the most valuable role players in the entire NBA. But he just can't do it, I've never understood why.

As for Clark, he reminds me of Malcolm Lee a little and I honestly expect a similar career trajectory.

When Okogie was with the Wolves I always believed the difference between him being an MLE level player and a 1-year vet minimum player was going to be his ability to consistently hit wide open 3s at a 35% rate. Okogie is the case that clearly shows that even elite level defense isn't enough when the opposing team doesn't have to guard you on the other end.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:58 am

Defense wasn’t always his top priority. Like most young players, Clark fancied the offensive highlight. His attitude changed when he joined a stacked club team featuring eventual NBA first-round draft picks Evan Mobley and Onyeka Okongwu, among other older and more decorated players. Clark’s father, Cornelius, warned him that he’d never get to play if he didn’t follow one rule.

“You play defense,” his father told him, “you’re going to force your way onto the floor.”

Clark kept that mindset while starring at Etiwanda High under the guidance of coach Dave Kleckner, who had previously molded another future Bruin into a lockdown defender. Remember Darren Collison? The undersized point guard had also faced questions about being a UCLA-caliber player before going on to play in three Final Fours and spend a decade in the NBA.

Kleckner gave those questioning Clark’s ability at the next level the same spiel he had delivered about Collison.

“People asked, ‘Is he good enough?’ ” Kleckner recalled. “And I was like, ‘Yeah! You guys, this kid, he wants it so bad, any obstacle that he comes across, he’s going to meet it head-on and he wants it so bad he’s going to do whatever it takes to get it.’ ”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/story/2023-02-09/jaylen-clark-feature
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:02 am

247Sports national recruiting analyst Josh Gershon projected Clark to be a Power Five starter with elite defensive upside in his evaluation of him in May.

And despite only being listed at 200 pounds, Gershon wrote that the 6-foot-5 wing is built like a linebacker and plays with the physicality of one on the court.

https://dailybruin.com/2020/02/05/mens-basketball-gets-1st-california-recruit-in-4-star-shooting-guard-jaylen-clark

Read on Twitter

minimus
RealGM

Post#53 » by minimus » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:07 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
minimus
RealGM

Post#54 » by minimus » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:36 pm

I hope that Jaylen Clark will fully recover and improve his three point shot. If he becomes rotational player we will be so dangerous.
minimus
RealGM

Post#55 » by minimus » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:17 am

One month later, I am still waiting for positive news from Clark. I really want this kid to succeed as true 3&D material
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Post#56 » by gandlogo » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:28 pm

minimus wrote:One month later, I am still waiting for positive news from Clark. I really want this kid to succeed as true 3&D material

Even when healthy, Clark has never been much of a shooter - so I don’t think he’ll ever bring the 3. But his D is ferocious, so he may have to carve out a role as a D&D guy. Hopefully, he gets significant playing time in Iowa later this season and Wolves fans get a glimpse at his potential.
minimus
RealGM

Post#57 » by minimus » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:48 pm

gandlogo wrote:
minimus wrote:One month later, I am still waiting for positive news from Clark. I really want this kid to succeed as true 3&D material

Even when healthy, Clark has never been much of a shooter - so I don’t think he’ll ever bring the 3. But his D is ferocious, so he may have to carve out a role as a D&D guy. Hopefully, he gets significant playing time in Iowa later this season and Wolves fans get a glimpse at his potential.

He said that he never really worked on his shot. True or not, I will be more than happy if he can hit at least with league average accuracy open threes. In this case his defense and hustle will give him a chance to be in rotation
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#58 » by KGdaBom » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:23 pm

gandlogo wrote:

He's a Dungeons and Dragons Nerd? :evil: :lol:
Guest84
Senior
And1: 358

Post#59 » by Guest84 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 6:28 pm

Does anyone think he can be a key player in the Wolves rotation? I must confess, I haven't watched many college games over the years so take this with a grain of salt. His highlight package shows great instincts but I saw no real ball handling, shooting, or playmaking skills in the video.

Has anyone watched any of his games to provide a better assessment of his talent/potential?
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#60 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Feb 2, 2024 6:50 pm

Only if he massively improves his offense.

He can't shoot, play-make or really handle. He's a significantly worse offensive player than Okoge was in college.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves