Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,018

The Official Jaylen Clark Thread 

Post#1 » by Domejandro » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:48 pm

;ab_channel=AdamSpinella

Currently projects to be an Alex Caruso type of prospect. Pretty solid swing at #53.
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 212

Re: The Official Jaylen Clark Thread 

Post#2 » by frankenwolf » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:51 pm

Excellent job TC getting these two picks. I figure Jaylen will spend a couple of years @ Iowa
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#3 » by Domejandro » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:18 pm

frankenwolf wrote:Excellent job TC getting these two picks. I figure Jaylen will spend a couple of years @ Iowa

My guess is that Jaylen Clark will sign for one year with the Iowa Wolves (as a good faith way to make sure he is fairly compensated while given access to team resources), and then be transitioned to a two-way contract the following season.

Minnesota is definitely a ways out from this pick returning on-the-court value, but I really like this approach, especially given the team's pick situation, moving forward.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#4 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:26 pm

I like the idea behind this pick a lot. Shades of Thybulle. The worst case scenario is a guy you can put on the floor for single possessions at the end of a quarter to lock down. Any work he puts in on offense is a bonus.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#5 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:01 pm

I'm almost always optimistic about our draft picks. Isn't defense half the game? We drafted the best defender in college basketball at pick 53. Shoot's 63% on FTs sucks. However, he's big and strong and can bully college SGs.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#6 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:34 pm

My perception has been that players drafted primarily for their defensive prowess in college end up being disappointments. Who know if my perception is right though.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#7 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:42 pm

Worm Guts wrote:My perception has been that players drafted primarily for their defensive prowess in college end up being disappointments. Who know if my perception is right though.

That's kind of true, but there are good defenders and then there's the best defender in all of college basketball. Doesn't it have to mean something? One out of thousands right?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,893

Post#8 » by Colbinii » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:04 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:My perception has been that players drafted primarily for their defensive prowess in college end up being disappointments. Who know if my perception is right though.

That's kind of true, but there are good defenders and then there's the best defender in all of college basketball. Doesn't it have to mean something? One out of thousands right?

As good as a defender is, if he is a complete zero on offense, he is an unplayable player.

Think about players and how you want them to be Net-positive in some capacity. If a player is a +99 on defense and a -100 on offense, they are unplayable.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#9 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:08 pm

Colbinii wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

As good as a defender is, if he is a complete zero on offense, he is an unplayable player.

Think about players and how you want them to be Net-positive in some capacity. If a player is a +99 on defense and a -100 on offense, they are unplayable.

Of course, but he isn't a minus 100 on offense. He's actually pretty decent at it. Tremendous at the rim, but the 3 point shot needs to get better.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,893

Post#10 » by Colbinii » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:12 pm

I think he can play this year for the Wolves. Not a great fit with Gobert but he is perfect with Towns or Naz at Center.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#11 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:15 pm

Colbinii wrote:I think he can play this year for the Wolves. Not a great fit with Gobert but he is perfect with Towns or Naz at Center.

He is recovering from an injury right now and not expected to be ready to play until 2024. That's a large part of why he was available at 53.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,258

Post#12 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:16 pm

Colbinii wrote:I think he can play this year for the Wolves. Not a great fit with Gobert but he is perfect with Towns or Naz at Center.

Probably not. He tore his Achilles in March and its likely a 9-12 month recovery. And TC is on record saying they were going to have him take his time recovering as its not an injury you rush back from.

I'd consider this coming season to be his "medical redshirt".
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#13 » by minimus » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:50 pm

I hope he will use this long recovery process to cleanup his shooting mechanic and footwork
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#14 » by younggunsmn » Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:26 pm

Domejandro wrote:
frankenwolf wrote:Excellent job TC getting these two picks. I figure Jaylen will spend a couple of years @ Iowa

My guess is that Jaylen Clark will sign for one year with the Iowa Wolves (as a good faith way to make sure he is fairly compensated while given access to team resources), and then be transitioned to a two-way contract the following season.

Minnesota is definitely a ways out from this pick returning on-the-court value, but I really like this approach, especially given the team's pick situation, moving forward.

You know a 2-way contract was my first thought, but listening to TC talk about him I'm going to say he gets a minimum 3 or 4 year Gupta special with only the first year guaranteed. It's a good trade off for him as he gets guaranteed money and access to pro facilities for his rehab as a tradeoff for an extra year or two of team control.
We can't really afford to let assets walk for nothing and letting him sign an Iowa contract would be relinquishing our rights
The 2 ways have trended as being easier to use for fill-ins/injury depth and I expect us to use them that way again this year.

Clark does look truly elite on defense, does an amazing job of navigating screens and has great awareness and quick hands.
I can see us drafting him to develop into our own Bruce Brown.

That said, he is truly awful in half court offense.
No burst, mediocre size, and terrible shooting mechanics.
He would be unplayable right now as is.
A lot of work ahead both in injury recovery and fixing his shot to find any meaningful minutes at the NBA level.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#15 » by Domejandro » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:22 pm

younggunsmn wrote:
Domejandro wrote:

You know a 2-way contract was my first thought, but listening to TC talk about him I'm going to say he gets a minimum 3 or 4 year Gupta special with only the first year guaranteed. It's a good trade off for him as he gets guaranteed money and access to pro facilities for his rehab as a tradeoff for an extra year or two of team control.
We can't really afford to let assets walk for nothing and letting him sign an Iowa contract would be relinquishing our rights
The 2 ways have trended as being easier to use for fill-ins/injury depth and I expect us to use them that way again this year.

Clark does look truly elite on defense, does an amazing job of navigating screens and has great awareness and quick hands.

A lot of work ahead both in injury recovery and fixing his shot to find any meaningful minutes at the NBA level.

Minnesota would not lose Jaylen Clark's rights if he signs with the Iowa Wolves. It is functionally no different than when players are stashed in Europe (or when First Round Pick Josh Huestis signed with the Oklahoma City Blue for a season).

While it isn't out of the question, signing the #53 overall pick who literally can't play for the majority of the season to a two-way contract doesn't add up to me at all. Minnesota is far better positioned to roll his rights over for a season.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,000

Post#16 » by wolves_89 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:03 am

For this type of guy their success will depend heavily on how well they can hit wide open shots. Those who become competent shooters have long careers and make good money, those who don't end up bouncing around on fairly minimal contracts.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#17 » by theGreatRC » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:55 am

The more i read about Clark, the more he reminds me of another Bruin that I followed closely because he’s a San Diego guy and that is Norman Powell.

The strengths and weaknesses are basically the same as each other and Jaylen has first round talent in this draft but it all depends on how he bounces back from his injury.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#18 » by Klomp » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:55 am

Disappointment in the first round, sure… (hello Okogie!) But at 53 I’m all for taking the chance!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#19 » by minimus » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:06 am

Domejandro wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:
Domejandro wrote:My guess is that Jaylen Clark will sign for one year with the Iowa Wolves (as a good faith way to make sure he is fairly compensated while given access to team resources), and then be transitioned to a two-way contract the following season.

Minnesota would not lose Jaylen Clark's rights if he signs with the Iowa Wolves. It is functionally no different than when players are stashed in Europe (or when First Round Pick Josh Huestis signed with the Oklahoma City Blue for a season).

While it isn't out of the question, signing the #53 overall pick who literally can't play for the majority of the season to a two-way contract doesn't add up to me at all. Minnesota is far better positioned to roll his rights over for a season.

I hope that MIN FO finds ways to support Clark with EVERYTHING he needs to recover, including medical, athletical, coaching support and (if it is possible) some kind of financial support (rent, travel costs to be with team) in case he doesn't have NBA contract. Keep him within organization, let him grow organically.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#20 » by shangrila » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:28 am

Klomp wrote:

Disappointment in the first round, sure… (hello Okogie!) But at 53 I’m all for taking the chance!

Josh Okogie was an outlier in that respect since he had most of the indicators of a good/developing shooter. Given his solid form even in the pros, the fact he never became an average 3pt shooter still makes no sense to me.

For Clark, I have no expectations. I've seen plenty of guys in his mold flop (anyone remember Malcolm Lee?) and I've even heard the "we had a 1st round grade on him" before too (Keita Bates-Diop). Obviously, I'm rooting for the guy, but the draft is such a crap shoot that it's hard to get excited for anyone these days.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves