ImageImageImage

Around the NBA

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,506

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#1581 » by winforlose » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:23 am

Imagine spending 176 million in luxury tax alone (actual salary is 205 mil,) and not making round 2 of the play in. I mean it is bad enough to finish as the 10 seed. But to get blown out by an injured King’s team is the icing on the cake that is GSW’s collapse.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,209

Post#1582 » by Neeva » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:24 am

I just hate how easy okc’s path is now, not that golden state would be all that tougher but sac is so hot and cold and will miss Malik Monk in 7 game series.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,542

Post#1583 » by Calinks » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:15 pm

Neeva wrote:I just hate how easy okc’s path is now, not that golden state would be all that tougher but sac is so hot and cold and will miss Malik Monk in 7 game series.

Just goes to show how important the regular season really is. Next season I hope they realize they cannot drop a game like that Hornets game. We also just need to get better at finishing games, that damn 1 seed cost us a lot as far as playoff path. Playing an injured Kings or Pelicans team is a lot nicer than playing the amped up Lakers or confidence brewing Suns.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,044

Post#1584 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:19 pm

Neeva wrote:I just hate how easy okc’s path is now, not that golden state would be all that tougher but sac is so hot and cold and will miss Malik Monk in 7 game series.

Sacramento isn't the 8 yet....have to beat New Orleans first.

And I actually think whoever gets through the 4/5 will beat OKC. That's my gut feeling.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#1585 » by Neeva » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:48 pm

Klomp wrote:

And I actually think whoever gets through the 4/5 will beat OKC. That's my gut feeling.

With zion out I think NO is toast.
I think if hot shooting sac stays hot then they beat okc but then lose to the clippers. Wolves vs clippers for the west.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1586 » by winforlose » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:47 pm

Neeva wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I think if hot shooting sac stays hot then they beat okc but then lose to the clippers. Wolves vs clippers for the west.

My gut says Dallas beats LAC. My gut also says OKC beats the Kings without Monk and KH. Who wins a OKC vs Mavs, probably the Mavs. So if we make it to the WCF, I think we beat the Mavs.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1587 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:00 pm

winforlose wrote:
Neeva wrote:
Klomp wrote:Sacramento isn't the 8 yet....have to beat New Orleans first.

My gut says Dallas beats LAC. My gut also says OKC beats the Kings without Monk and KH. Who wins a OKC vs Mavs, probably the Mavs. So if we make it to the WCF, I think we beat the Mavs.

This is similar to my current thinking. I feel fairly confident about Dallas right now, and think they can beat OKC. We might be looking at a Joker/Luka WCF, unless we have something to say about it.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Zonarosa
Sophomore
And1: 65

Post#1588 » by Zonarosa » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:21 pm

winforlose wrote: My gut also says OKC beats the Kings without Monk and KH.

don’t go too far out on that limb. it just might snap.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1589 » by Calinks » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:36 am

winforlose wrote:
Neeva wrote:
Klomp wrote:Sacramento isn't the 8 yet....have to beat New Orleans first.

I think the Mavs are still a bit overrated. I take OKC over them. Only thing holding OKC back is seasoning/them being so young. If they just mentally check out, they are cooked but if they play to their abilities, they are probably going to the conference finals barring the Clippers finally getting their crap together.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1590 » by winforlose » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:46 am

Zonarosa wrote:

You think the Kings beat OKC? Honestly asking as they seem to be the consensus weakest team in the playoffs in part because they are missing a starter and their 6th man.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1591 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:48 am

Calinks wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Neeva wrote:

I think the Mavs are still a bit overrated. I take OKC over them. Only thing holding OKC back is seasoning/them being so young. If they just mentally check out, they are cooked but if they play to their abilities, they are probably going to the conference finals barring the Clippers finally getting their crap together.

I see similarities with Memphis of the last few years. I just don't know if they can get all the way to the WCF.

winforlose
General Manager

Post#1592 » by winforlose » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:28 am

Another year where The General is not gonna get a ring. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275377/Jimmy-Butler-Could-Be-Out-Indefinitely-With-MCL-Injury
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,288

Post#1593 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:39 am

Atlanta is so much better when Young doesn’t play.

I still can’t believe they passed Luka for him…
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#1594 » by Neeva » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:47 am

BlacJacMac wrote:Atlanta is so much better when Young doesn’t play.

The pick they got in that trade turned out to be Cam Reddish :lol:
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#1595 » by minimus » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:32 am

Neeva wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:Atlanta is so much better when Young doesn’t play.

The pick they got in that trade turned out to be Cam Reddish :lol:

I should remind myself this when I propose Towns trades. Towns is not Doncic, but picks are not safe thing either.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1596 » by Calinks » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:43 pm

There is next to no chance OKC will be threatened in the first round, it would be a disaster to lose to either team if they both have their injuries. They should advance in 5 games if not sweep. If Zion plays then it will be tougher but I will still take OKC. Second round could be fairly easy too. The Clippers have been a mess, I wouldn't be surprised to see OKC take them out without too much effort if they get past Dallas.

The way I see it, this is one of the better number 1 seed spots in recent years, its a pretty smooth path to the conference finals. OKC's biggest threats are Denver and probably the Timberwolves. Lakers would pose a problem for them too but they will likely avoid them because Denver will take them out. The Suns could have also been another problem but again, we have to do deal with that.

They get to avoid every team that would give them fits until the end, Dallas or the Clippers have a chance to put fear in them but I think these other matchups would be worse. This 1 seed was more valuable than we first perceived with the way injuries and seeding worked out.

If we were in OKC's position I would fully be expecting us to make it to the conference finals. I think we very favorably match up with the Clippers and the Mavericks would be a battle but I think we could handle them.
Zonarosa
Sophomore
And1: 65

Post#1597 » by Zonarosa » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:00 pm

winforlose wrote:
Zonarosa wrote:

You think the Kings beat OKC? Honestly asking as they seem to be the consensus weakest team in the playoffs in part because they are missing a starter and their 6th man.

*sigh*

no.

usually when people use the words “my gut says”, it’s followed by an opinion that goes against consensus.

thinking the thunder beat the kings isn’t that.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,917

Post#1598 » by life_saver » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:59 pm

I for one am glad that we are not in play-in this season..these games are stressful
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1599 » by Calinks » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:47 pm

life_saver wrote:I for one am glad that we are not in play-in this season..these games are stressful

Yep, its so nice to sit back and watch everyone else sweat.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,288

Post#1600 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:49 pm

Calinks wrote:There is next to no chance OKC will be threatened in the first round, it would be a disaster to lose to either team if they both have their injuries. They should advance in 5 games if not sweep. If Zion plays then it will be tougher but I will still take OKC. Second round could be fairly easy too. The Clippers have been a mess, I wouldn't be surprised to see OKC take them out without too much effort if they get past Dallas.

The way I see it, this is one of the better number 1 seed spots in recent years, its a pretty smooth path to the conference finals. OKC's biggest threats are Denver and probably the Timberwolves. Lakers would pose a problem for them too but they will likely avoid them because Denver will take them out. The Suns could have also been another problem but again, we have to do deal with that.

They get to avoid every team that would give them fits until the end, Dallas or the Clippers have a chance to put fear in them but I think these other matchups would be worse. This 1 seed was more valuable than we first perceived with the way injuries and seeding worked out.

If we were in OKC's position I would fully be expecting us to make it to the conference finals. I think we very favorably match up with the Clippers and the Mavericks would be a battle but I think we could handle them.

Zion is out (again...).

New Orleans Pelicans forward Zion Williamson has been ruled out of Friday's play-in tournament elimination game against the Sacramento Kings with a left hamstring strain, the team announced Wednesday.

The Pelicans said an MRI on Wednesday confirmed the injury and Williamson will be reevaluated in approximately two weeks.

Williamson played in a career-high 70 games this season and was playing in his first non-regular-season game of his career. He missed the Pelicans' two play-in games in 2022 because of injury as well as their playoff series. He also sat out the team's play-in game last season because of an injury.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39962919/sources-pelicans-zion-williamson-hamstring-injury

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves