Around the NBA

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,624

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#81 » by TimberKat » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:01 am

Nick K wrote:
cmoss84 wrote:Will Webanyama be better than Porzingis?

I think that's an easy yes. I saw Wembanyama the other day and he is the real deal. I was very impressed. Pop is a good coach so his development is in good hands.

He has all the tools. He moves and plays like a guard at 7'4".

Offensively, I say he is already better than Porzingis. Defense, I don't know because he didn't play much of it :D
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,932

Post#82 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:58 am

Nick K wrote:

I think that's an easy yes. I saw Wembanyama the other day and he is the real deal. I was very impressed. Pop is a good coach so his development is in good hands.

When you say easy yes do you mean eventually or this season. That's a big difference.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#83 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:58 am

TimberKat wrote:
Nick K wrote:

Offensively, I say he is already better than Porzingis. Defense, I don't know because he didn't play much of it :D

He can't hit threes like Zinger.
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 215

Post#84 » by frankenwolf » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:10 pm

Nick K wrote:
Yep, I agree on the heated rivalry stuff. I go back to Bill Russell and Wilt in the late 60's early 70's going at it. No lovey-dovey chit going on there. McHale used to talk about when Boston played LA or Philly or Detroit nobody shook hands. No one considered it. They hated each other. Every game mattered.

I love the heated rivalry stuff.

In the 80's the North Stars would play the Blackhawks in Chicago and it was mayhem. Every moment meant something. SL Blues too.

Bird/Magic was the best ever. Then Wilt/Russell.

Wilt and Russell didn't get along on the court, but Bill would stay with Wilt every time Boston was in LA, so....... IDK. Definately miss some the hard fouls that McHale use to do, though :)
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,845

Post#85 » by thinktank » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:43 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
Nick K wrote:

He can't hit threes like Zinger.

Sure he can. He’s already hitting threes. Zinger was only 33% his rookie year, btw.
"a poor addition to the board"
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,030

Post#86 » by Nick K » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:41 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Nick K wrote:

When you say easy yes do you mean eventually or this season. That's a big difference.

Not really a big difference. He'll get there soon enough. I don't know how long it will take him. My guess is he gets his footing in year two. Could be 2nd half of this year too.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,030

Post#87 » by Nick K » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:42 am

frankenwolf wrote:
Nick K wrote:
Yep, I agree on the heated rivalry stuff. I go back to Bill Russell and Wilt in the late 60's early 70's going at it. No lovey-dovey chit going on there. McHale used to talk about when Boston played LA or Philly or Detroit nobody shook hands. No one considered it. They hated each other. Every game mattered.

I love the heated rivalry stuff.

In the 80's the North Stars would play the Blackhawks in Chicago and it was mayhem. Every moment meant something. SL Blues too.

Bird/Magic was the best ever. Then Wilt/Russell.

Wilt and Russell didn't get along on the court, but Bill would stay with Wilt every time Boston was in LA, so....... IDK. Definately miss some the hard fouls that McHale use to do, though :)

Yep that's true . They were good friends off the court. Mutual kind of respect kind of thing too. But on the court it was always about winning.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#88 » by TimberKat » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:07 am

I am so glad we didn't trade for Scoot. He looks like still a few years away from being a starter. Gary Payton wasn't great the first 3 years in the league. Looks like that's how long it's going to take for Scoot also.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#89 » by KGdaBom » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:10 am

TimberKat wrote:I am so glad we didn't trade for Scoot. He looks like still a few years away from being a starter. Gary Payton wasn't great the first 3 years in the league. Looks like that's how long it's going to take for Scoot also.

I think you're wrong about Scoot. I think he's going to be quite good this year and if not for Wemby the Rooke of the Year.
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 215

Post#90 » by frankenwolf » Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:36 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
TimberKat wrote:I am so glad we didn't trade for Scoot. He looks like still a few years away from being a starter. Gary Payton wasn't great the first 3 years in the league. Looks like that's how long it's going to take for Scoot also.

I think you're wrong about Scoot. I think he's going to be quite good this year and if not for Wemby the Rooke of the Year.

Neither of them shall be rookie of the year. Too obvious. Chet Holmgren will be. :D
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#91 » by TimberKat » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:11 pm

frankenwolf wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Neither of them shall be rookie of the year. Too obvious. Chet Holmgren will be. :D

If Holmgren could stay on the floor for 60 games. As I said in another group, Pop is going to hold Wemby to under 20 pts per game :D Scoot make Rubio look like the best shooting point guard in the NBA. He reminds me of Mudiay. I am sure that send chills up Connelly's spine (passing up Booker in the process).
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#92 » by KGdaBom » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:13 pm

TimberKat wrote:
frankenwolf wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I think you're wrong about Scoot. I think he's going to be quite good this year and if not for Wemby the Rooke of the Year.

If Holmgren could stay on the floor for 60 games. As I said in another group, Pop is going to hold Wemby to under 20 pts per game :D Scoot make Rubio look like the best shooting point guard in the NBA. He reminds me of Mudiay. I am sure that send chills up Connelly's spine (passing up Booker in the process).

I will reiterate how wrong I think you will prove to be. You saw a bad shooting line. I guess you missed his stellar shooting line from either the game before or the game before that.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#93 » by TimberKat » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:29 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
frankenwolf wrote:

I will reiterate how wrong I think you will prove to be. You saw a bad shooting line. I guess you missed his stellar shooting line from either the game before or the game before that.

We shell see. I actually watched last night's game. He is quick but at 6-2, he will have a hard time getting to the rim in regular season.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,196

Post#94 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:11 pm

I will be stunned if Victor is not ROY. Deserved or not. He's got a level of name recognition already to where stats don't need to be overpowering.

Carmelo Anthony had as good/comparable numbers to LeBron James across the board and his team made the playoffs and was +26 wins (CLE was +18 fwiw) over the year before. LeBron won ROY handily (78-40 in first place votes.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,196

Post#95 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:49 pm

Saw highlights of Phoenix last night....felt too much like a scrimmage/all-star game/street ball than it did a regular NBA team. Still felt iso heavy akin to Dallas, but having one extra guy will give them a step up from where the Mavericks are.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,845

Post#96 » by thinktank » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:52 pm

TimberKat wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
TimberKat wrote:If Holmgren could stay on the floor for 60 games. As I said in another group, Pop is going to hold Wemby to under 20 pts per game :D Scoot make Rubio look like the best shooting point guard in the NBA. He reminds me of Mudiay. I am sure that send chills up Connelly's spine (passing up Booker in the process).

We shell see. I actually watched last night's game. He is quick but at 6-2, he will have a hard time getting to the rim in regular season.

Put me in camp Scoot. He looks great so far. Incredibly quick, strong, and athletic. And he’s pass first.
"a poor addition to the board"
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,638

Post#97 » by jpatrick » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:20 pm

thinktank wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I will reiterate how wrong I think you will prove to be. You saw a bad shooting line. I guess you missed his stellar shooting line from either the game before or the game before that.

Put me in camp Scoot. He looks great so far. Incredibly quick, strong, and athletic. And he’s pass first.

I love Scoot. I would have driven KAT to the airport in a deal for him. That said, he’s a 19 year old playing the most difficult position in basketball to learn. He’ll probably struggle for the first half of the year, much like Ant, and start figuring it out in half two.

That said, Victor is a different beast. I think if he stays healthy, he’ll change the game. Just the space he can cover on defense is incredible. I remember seeing a 17 year old Victor dominate a 19 year old Chet a couple years ago. He’s different.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,056

Post#98 » by shrink » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:41 am

Klomp wrote:I will be stunned if Victor is not ROY. Deserved or not. He's got a level of name recognition already to where stats don't need to be overpowering.

Carmelo Anthony had as good/comparable numbers to LeBron James across the board and his team made the playoffs and was +26 wins (CLE was +18 fwiw) over the year before. LeBron won ROY handily (78-40 in first place votes.

Agreed. Sportswriters get judged for years on their votes for ROY, and none want to risk hear, years later, “What? You didn’t vote for Wemby?!? He’s a superstar now!!”
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#99 » by KGdaBom » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:55 am

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:I will be stunned if Victor is not ROY. Deserved or not. He's got a level of name recognition already to where stats don't need to be overpowering.

Agreed. Sportswriters get judged for years on their votes for ROY, and none want to risk hear, years later, “What? You didn’t vote for Wemby?!? He’s a superstar now!!”

RoY vote should be exclusively for how the player played that year. Not a guess of how good they will be later.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,056

Post#100 » by shrink » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:40 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
shrink wrote:

RoY vote should be exclusively for how the player played that year. Not a guess of how good they will be later.

I agree, but I heard a sportswriter say he still takes heat for voting for Brogdan over a half season of Embiid!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves