ImageImageImage

2024 Draft - Who you got?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,200

Re: 2024 Draft - Who you got? 

Post#121 » by Neeva » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:36 pm

Kolek was total ass cheeks against Uconn.
Tbh I’d take Mccain over him, way higher ceiling.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,069

Post#122 » by shangrila » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:13 pm

Klomp wrote:
shangrila wrote:Even if my concerns turn out to be true it's likely that he can still have a long NBA career as a backup PG but that's not something you generally invest draft capital into.

I'd understand this argument if we were drafting in the Top 10, but not if we're drafting 26th, which is probably the worst-case scenario at the moment. We almost certainly will have one of the five last picks of the first round. Finding someone who carves out a long career is absolutely an acceptable outcome.

In theory, sure. But "a long career" doesn't mean "long career with the Timberwolves".

You're also talking about a position that isn't hard to fill in FA. Just this offseason alone there are the following players that could fill a similar role:

Markelle Fultz
Tyus Jones
Monte Morris
Patrick Beverley
Cameron Payne
Dennis Smith Jr
Jordan McLaughlin
Kris Dunn
Spencer Dinwiddie
Delon Wright

And yes, before you point it out not all of these players are stylistically similar...that isn't my point. My point is that 10-15mpg backups aren't worth investing draft capital into, especially if their ceilings project to be low.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#123 » by shangrila » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:16 pm

Neeva wrote:Kolek was total ass cheeks against Uconn.
Tbh I’d take Mccain over him, way higher ceiling.

Agree, but McCain is playing himself into a higher draft slot than we'll likely have. It's similar to Devon Carter, who'd be an incredible fit here.

I get why people are hyper-focused on PGs in this draft but the team has needs beyond that position and, more importantly, focusing on needs to the exclusion of all else is a poor draft strategy. Which we know for a fact this team doesn't follow given they drafted Miller a year after Minott, who are similar players positionally.
slick21
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#124 » by slick21 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:47 pm

Clearly, Connelly has a type (Wendell Moore, Jaylen Clark, even Minott to an extent). It would be nice to find and grab a dead-eye 3-point shooter in this draft.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#125 » by Slim Tubby » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:35 am

It's not a position of need (PG) but give me SF/SG Justin Thomas from Kentucky.

Sent from my N152DL using RealGM mobile app
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#126 » by Neeva » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:29 am

Who? Did you mean Justin Edwards?
As it stands now I am good with going Kentucky with both picks in Edwards and DJ Wagner, they both have high upside.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#127 » by Slim Tubby » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:33 am

Neeva wrote:Who? Did you mean Justin Edwards?
As it stands now I am good with going Kentucky with both picks in Edwards and DJ Wagner, they both have high upside.
Yeah...my bad. I meant Justin Edwards. Thanks for correcting me.

Sent from my N152DL using RealGM mobile app
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
shangrila
RealGM

Post#128 » by shangrila » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:33 pm

slick21 wrote:Clearly, Connelly has a type (Wendell Moore, Jaylen Clark, even Minott to an extent). It would be nice to find and grab a dead-eye 3-point shooter in this draft.

What type is that? Honest question since I don't see a lot of similarity between them (and Miller).

Moore was a young junior and a playmaking wing who projected as a valuable connective piece in a rotation. Clark was a defensive stopper with limited offensive skills. Minott was a young freshman with great defensive instincts and physical tools, but ultimately raw on both ends. Miller was an offensively productive 2nd year G League guy with questionable defensive effort and overall feel.

Unless you're referring to the 3pt shooting? I could kind of see that, although Moore had encouraging signs in that respect. I do think they've put an emphasis on defensive ability + effort, which rules out a handful of guys this year too.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#129 » by shangrila » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:36 pm

Neeva wrote:Who? Did you mean Justin Edwards?

Out of curiousity, what have you seen from them? Because I'm concerned they've both been exposed as a classic "more athletic than high schoolers" type of prospects that can't move up levels (Cam Reddish would be a good example of this).

I'm also struggling to determine their roles in the NBA. Edwards has the physical tools for a 3/4 combo forward but hasn't shown perimeter skills, even if his shot looks nice, nor does he defend/rebound enough. Wagner is a little more interesting but is still ultimately an undersized non-shooting SG.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#130 » by Mattya » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:44 pm

Would be solid to come out of the draft with DJ Wagner and one of Ivisivic or Commanche all as projects for 3 years away.
Sealab2024
Sophomore
And1: 360

Post#131 » by Sealab2024 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:45 am

Mattya wrote:Would be solid to come out of the draft with DJ Wagner and one of Ivisivic or Commanche all as projects for 3 years away.

DJ Wagner and Jamal Shead are my best case scenario for our 2 picks. A combo guard with all the talent in the world who's from a basketball family and a Defensive nightmare/distributor PG who needs to shoot about 10,000 practice 3's.

Gives you a rounded prospect list in

Miller
Minott
Wagner
Shead
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#132 » by minimus » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:57 am

shangrila wrote:
slick21 wrote:Clearly, Connelly has a type (Wendell Moore, Jaylen Clark, even Minott to an extent). It would be nice to find and grab a dead-eye 3-point shooter in this draft.

What type is that? Honest question since I don't see a lot of similarity between them (and Miller).

Moore was a young junior and a playmaking wing who projected as a valuable connective piece in a rotation. Clark was a defensive stopper with limited offensive skills. Minott was a young freshman with great defensive instincts and physical tools, but ultimately raw on both ends. Miller was an offensively productive 2nd year G League guy with questionable defensive effort and overall feel.

Unless you're referring to the 3pt shooting? I could kind of see that, although Moore had encouraging signs in that respect. I do think they've put an emphasis on defensive ability + effort, which rules out a handful of guys this year too.

Good question. MIN have tested following players/scenarios:

- WMJ: protypical 3&D. good shooter in students, excellent physical tools, hardworker, with basic passing and defense. Lacks confidence
- Shake Milton: comboguard with good size, good catch and shoot 3pt shooter, basic passing skills, bad defense. Methodical, slow thinker, can create his own shot against bench players
- Minott: high energy, low skill comboforward, lacks consistent jumpshot
- TBJ: protypical 3&D. good shooter, great rebounder, good physical tools, hardworker, with basic passing and defense. Lacks consistency. I liked his game a lot, but he lacked prototypical size to play wing, while NAW is better suited to guards smaller opponents
- Miller: high effort comboforward with rebounding skills, lacks consistent jumpshot, but has showed progress both in 3pt shots volume and accuracy. A bit concerning, but also has showed some lazy defense signs and lack of focus
- Garza: offensive minded big, with excellent rebounding skills, postup skills and 3pt shot. Has greatly improved his conditioning, showed great effort and motor
- Nix: a big bodied PG who was red hot from 3pt line in preseason, has not showed much in gleague, looks a bit selfish when he tries to take all open shots
- TJ Warren: a big wing, with great confidence to take any shot. Limited defensively, but has size and gives effort and moves his feet. Great fit, great value fro 10 days contract (vetmin?)
- McLaughlin: undersized PG, quick decision maker with great slashing ability. He is able to make wide open 3pt shots and looks great as 3rd string PG, often plays with NAW, Monte Morris
- Monte Morris: pass-first PG, quick decision maker with great pullup mid range jumper, has floater and knocks down open threes
- Jaylen Clarke: a big guard with potential of lockdown defender. Lack offensive game. Still recovering from injury

To sum up:

- I liked TBJ's game a lot. But I like even more how Connelly used opportunity fill void at SF after TBJ trade when he signed TJ Warren. This is one story that I want to develop by using our draft picks in 2024: get a big wing who can shoot. It looks like MIN have defensive foundation to be competitive but lacks a true shooter, who can take and make open shots

- I had high hopes for Shake Milton, but he has failed in backup PG role in MIN. He was not a good fit, especially with Reid who is our main weapon in offense from the bench. I mean Reid is quick decision maker, very decisive scorer. McLaughling, Morris, NAW all look better as side kick for Naz

- Right now with Towns, Gobert and Reid all sidelined with injuries. MIN get maximum from Garza, who normally collects DNPs, and from Anderson who has returned to his natural position of PF, but also acts as undersized small ball big.

Offseason scenario:

MIN make a deep playoff run, new owners make some money to compensate luxury tax. All three are resigned and healthy: Conley, Morris and McLaughlin, so MIN can run both structed and free flow offense all 48 minutes. TJ Warren is resigned for vetmin, filling backup SF position. I dont see MIN keeping Anderson. So we need to share his current duties:

- versatile defender
- big ballhandler/passer
- rebounder

Or bring a player with completely different skillset and change bench offense defense. One thing I hope will happen it to promote Naz as five-out big, post-up, kick-out passer. IMO he has all skills. He wont replace Anderson ballhandling and passing, but he can bring another dimension as offensive hub.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Let say we keep TJ Warren and Morris. Reid-Warren-NAW-Morris unit will have good chances to play read-n-react offense with multiple shooters. But this unit might have problems with rebounding and help defense. Ideally Miller develops enough to contribute here, and TJ Warren resign and stays healthy. But MIN can draft "insurance" for both PF and PG position. I would love to see MIN drafting a disciplined, high IQ comboforward such as De Silva, and 3pt shooter like Malik Monk.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#133 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:44 pm

minimus wrote:
shangrila wrote:

Good question. MIN have tested following players/scenarios:

- WMJ: protypical 3&D. good shooter in students, excellent physical tools, hardworker, with basic passing and defense. Lacks confidence
- Shake Milton: comboguard with good size, good catch and shoot 3pt shooter, basic passing skills, bad defense. Methodical, slow thinker, can create his own shot against bench players
- Minott: high energy, low skill comboforward, lacks consistent jumpshot
- TBJ: protypical 3&D. good shooter, great rebounder, good physical tools, hardworker, with basic passing and defense. Lacks consistency. I liked his game a lot, but he lacked prototypical size to play wing, while NAW is better suited to guards smaller opponents
- Miller: high effort comboforward with rebounding skills, lacks consistent jumpshot, but has showed progress both in 3pt shots volume and accuracy. A bit concerning, but also has showed some lazy defense signs and lack of focus
- Garza: offensive minded big, with excellent rebounding skills, postup skills and 3pt shot. Has greatly improved his conditioning, showed great effort and motor
- Nix: a big bodied PG who was red hot from 3pt line in preseason, has not showed much in gleague, looks a bit selfish when he tries to take all open shots
- TJ Warren: a big wing, with great confidence to take any shot. Limited defensively, but has size and gives effort and moves his feet. Great fit, great value fro 10 days contract (vetmin?)
- McLaughlin: undersized PG, quick decision maker with great slashing ability. He is able to make wide open 3pt shots and looks great as 3rd string PG, often plays with NAW, Monte Morris
- Monte Morris: pass-first PG, quick decision maker with great pullup mid range jumper, has floater and knocks down open threes
- Jaylen Clarke: a big guard with potential of lockdown defender. Lack offensive game. Still recovering from injury

To sum up:

- I liked TBJ's game a lot. But I like even more how Connelly used opportunity fill void at SF after TBJ trade when he signed TJ Warren. This is one story that I want to develop by using our draft picks in 2024: get a big wing who can shoot. It looks like MIN have defensive foundation to be competitive but lacks a true shooter, who can take and make open shots

- I had high hopes for Shake Milton, but he has failed in backup PG role in MIN. He was not a good fit, especially with Reid who is our main weapon in offense from the bench. I mean Reid is quick decision maker, very decisive scorer. McLaughling, Morris, NAW all look better as side kick for Naz

- Right now with Towns, Gobert and Reid all sidelined with injuries. MIN get maximum from Garza, who normally collects DNPs, and from Anderson who has returned to his natural position of PF, but also acts as undersized small ball big.

Offseason scenario:

MIN make a deep playoff run, new owners make some money to compensate luxury tax. All three are resigned and healthy: Conley, Morris and McLaughlin, so MIN can run both structed and free flow offense all 48 minutes. TJ Warren is resigned for vetmin, filling backup SF position. I dont see MIN keeping Anderson. So we need to share his current duties:

- versatile defender
- big ballhandler/passer
- rebounder

Or bring a player with completely different skillset and change bench offense defense. One thing I hope will happen it to promote Naz as five-out big, post-up, kick-out passer. IMO he has all skills. He wont replace Anderson ballhandling and passing, but he can bring another dimension as offensive hub.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Let say we keep TJ Warren and Morris. Reid-Warren-NAW-Morris unit will have good chances to play read-n-react offense with multiple shooters. But this unit might have problems with rebounding and help defense. Ideally Miller develops enough to contribute here, and TJ Warren resign and stays healthy. But MIN can draft "insurance" for both PF and PG position. I would love to see MIN drafting a disciplined, high IQ comboforward such as De Silva, and 3pt shooter like Malik Monk.

Warren is a JAG and not worth a roster spot. I have concerns about Minott if he hasn't been able to see the floor even with injuries to 3 bigs and Kyle in foul trouble. Miller is young enough where he may still have time to develop.

Naw/Naz are above average 6th and 7th men, but I would love one more player of their caliber. Monte and McLaughlin are fine 9 and 10 guys. Monte can still be better then that if he can regain some his previous form.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#134 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:58 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:I have concerns about Minott if he hasn't been able to see the floor even with injuries to 3 bigs and Kyle in foul trouble. Miller is young enough where he may still have time to develop.

They are one year (and one day) apart in age
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#135 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:21 pm

Trey Alexander (Creighton) is a guard in the mold of what Connelly has looked for. Has 11 points in the first half of the opening round game against Akron.

Has a lot of qualities that remind me of Nickeil Alexander-Walker.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#136 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:08 pm

I'm doubting that we'll get a chance at him, but Terrence Shannon Jr. is looking impressive. Kinda reminds me of Mathurin in Indy.

cmoss84
Junior
And1: 93

Post#137 » by cmoss84 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:33 am

Does Kentuckys loss drop their player's stock?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#138 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:47 am

cmoss84 wrote:Does Kentuckys loss drop their player's stock?

Probably somewhat

Neeva
Head Coach

Post#139 » by Neeva » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:33 am

They all choked badly but I remember Jaylen Brown hitting only one shot in first round upset for Cal and he still went third overall.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#140 » by Neeva » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:51 am

Now more than ever i think wolves should trade the 26th/27th pick for Portlands two second round picks currently 34 and 40. If wolves end up with three of these players , Devin Carter, Justin Edwards, Tyrese Proctor, Trey Alexander, Tristan Da Silva, Zach Eddey, DJ Wagner, it will be a pretty good night. All three on Gupta specials.

Portland does it because they have too many picks in upcoming draft and not enough roster spots.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves