ImageImageImage

2024 Draft - Who you got?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,603

Re: 2024 Draft - Who you got? 

Post#201 » by winforlose » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:38 am

I was thinking about it today, and our last 10 years were certainly interesting.

2014: Lavine and Wiggins (both became all stars elsewhere, Wiggins was not deserved.)
2015: KAT (the only player picked before 2020 still with the team.
2016: Kris Dunn now with Utah and having a minor resurgence.
2017: Justin Payton who is I believe still in the G league.
2018: Josh Okogie who is currently end of bench for the Suns (and got a layup in TC in garbage time in game 1.)
2019: Jarrett Culver, need I say more?
2020: Ant, Jaden, and Leandro Balmaro. 2 out of 3 ain’t bad, though Desmond Bane or IQ would have been nice.
2021: No pick thanks to the Dlo trade
2022: Wendell Moore Jr, or DNPCD
2023: No pick thanks to the Gobert trade

3 hits in 10 years. Though to be fair Markkanen would have been our pick if not for Butler, and we traded away Lavine before he blew up. Wiggins is overrated and once again a bad contract.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,426

Post#202 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:47 am

winforlose wrote:I was thinking about it today, and our last 10 years were certainly interesting.

2014: Lavine and Wiggins (both became all stars elsewhere, Wiggins was not deserved.)
2018: Josh Okogie who is currently end of bench for the Suns (and got a layup in TC in garbage time in game 1.)
2020: Ant, Jaden, and Leandro Balmaro. 2 out of 3 ain’t bad, though Desmond Bane or IQ would have been nice.

3 hits in 10 years. Though to be fair Markkanen would have been our pick if not for Butler, and we traded away Lavine before he blew up. Wiggins is overrated and once again a bad contract.

And we avoided vastly overpaying him by doing so.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#203 » by winforlose » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:27 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:I was thinking about it today, and our last 10 years were certainly interesting.

Bulls didn’t in contract 1.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#204 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:41 am

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Great kid. Always been overrated as a player.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#205 » by winforlose » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:48 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Great kid. Always been overrated as a player.

We agree on that :)
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,985

Post#206 » by shrink » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:50 pm

Three thoughts

1. 2020 should probably include Naz, and it didn’t even cost us a second rounder.

2. Towns always gets scapegoated for the team not making the playoffs more often, but every year the team would be giving big minutes to bad lottery picks next to him, not vets or stars. In fact, in seasons where he had any help whatsoever, the team made the playoffs.

3. We have only found a couple All NBA-level talents in all those years. Flip chose Towns over Okafor, and Rosas chose Ant over LaMelo and Wiseman. Each draft is different, and there isn’t always an All NBA choice available when you pick, but it feels like overall that the team should have done better.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#207 » by winforlose » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:13 pm

shrink wrote:

Three thoughts

1. 2020 should probably include Naz, and it didn’t even cost us a second rounder.

2. Towns always gets scapegoated for the team not making the playoffs more often, but every year the team would be giving big minutes to bad lottery picks next to him, not vets or stars. In fact, in seasons where he had any help whatsoever, the team made the playoffs.

3. We have only found a couple All NBA-level talents in all those years. Flip chose Towns over Okafor, and Rosas chose Ant over LaMelo and Wiseman. Each draft is different, and there isn’t always an All NBA choice available when you pick, but it feels like overall that the team should have done better.

1. In 2019 the Timberwolves selected Jarret Culver and Jaylen Nowell. They also signed undrafted players Naz Reid and Jordan McLaughlin to two ways. Following summer league they converted Naz to a 4 year minimum deal. Of the current roster they are the only undarafted players we developed successfully.

2. JO wasn’t bad. Culver was a major problem. We didn’t have players to give minutes to in 21 or 23 as we didn’t have a first. Moore didn’t get minutes in 22 or 23, and Dunn was a one and gone. The argument that we dumped good minutes on bad prospects is a tough one for me. Jaden, Naz, and JMAC all produced relatively early, and Culver only lasted two years.

3. Lavine had not torn his ACL we probably trade Wiggins in the Butler deal. We also traded away Lauri Markkanen in that deal (another player who developed very well.) If Wiggins and Dunn would have been enough to avoid the pick swap imagine how different Markkanen would have made this team. Then again, maybe we don’t get Ant. The what if game can go in any number of directions.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#208 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:45 pm

I'm fine with missing on Markkanen. My guess is he would've been gone from Minny before he blossomed.

He was really mediocre his first 3 years in Chicago before showing limited signs his last year there. There was a lot of debate on what he was worth on a 2nd deal.

It wasn't until his 6th year and 3rd team that he really figured everything out (and won MIP).

The mistake we made that year was clear at the time of the draft. Passing on OG for Patton. It made absolutely no sense to draft a big as we had KAT, a newly signed Dieng and blew all our FA money on Taj. While only having Butler and Wiggins as playable wings.

Plus there might not have even been a more Thibs player than OG. He was literally the reincarnation of Luol Deng.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,985

Post#209 » by shrink » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:51 pm

winforlose wrote:1. In 2019 the Timberwolves selected Jarret Culver and Jaylen Nowell. They also signed undrafted players Naz Reid and Jordan McLaughlin to two ways. Following summer league they converted Naz to a 4 year minimum deal. Of the current roster they are the only undarafted players we developed successfully.

Thank you! I didn’t realize I was combining two Rosas years, and I’ve probably said this wrong a dozen times!
winforlose
General Manager

Post#210 » by winforlose » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:16 pm

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:1. In 2019 the Timberwolves selected Jarret Culver and Jaylen Nowell. They also signed undrafted players Naz Reid and Jordan McLaughlin to two ways. Following summer league they converted Naz to a 4 year minimum deal. Of the current roster they are the only undarafted players we developed successfully.

Thank you! I didn’t realize I was combining two Rosas years, and I’ve probably said this wrong a dozen times!

No worries. It can all bleed together :). Shrink you are one of the smartest and most knowledgeable posters we have, you are entitled to misremember a few undrafted players :)

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves