ImageImageImage

2024 Draft - Who you got?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Re: 2024 Draft - Who you got? 

Post#141 » by minimus » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:00 am

TheZachAttack wrote:Warren is a JAG and not worth a roster spot.

I watched a few martial arts tournaments, where fighters can challenge anyone from crowd. One fight was particularly interesting because an ordinary street fighter challenged a professional kickboxer. The biggest difference was not talent as I thought, the biggest difference was ability of professional player to:

- identify opponent weaknesses
- explore opponent weaknesses
- implement fight tactic based on his own strengths and opponent weaknesses. When I say implement means professional was able to win in 3rd round by throwing consistently low kicks, because opponent was disregarding defense in this area.

I remembered this because TJ Warren from very first minute played as professional, and it is hard to expect same level of awareness/confidence from rookie. Right now, I guess he kind of hit the wall in terms of stamina, because he has not played much last two years. But if he can stay healthy, it is hard for me to find a better fit in terms of skills and price (for 10day contract and hopefully vetmin). Also when I look at our g-league roster I dont see a big wing who can shoot the ball like Warren does.

TheZachAttack wrote:I have concerns about Minott if he hasn't been able to see the floor even with injuries to 3 bigs and Kyle in foul trouble. Miller is young enough where he may still have time to develop.

Minott cant hit open three right now, but I think he is young enough to improve. He needs to spend his 3rd full offseason working on his shooting and passing. I find the most disappointing the fact that he said before SL league last summer that he wants to focus on his defense, but he has been mediocre defender even for g-league standards. I really hope that Minott and Miller can be developed as comboforwards who can hit open threes, rebound and provide help defense. Last games without Towns and Gobert MIN play smallball and using very aggressive perimeter defense when our players help helpers. If we play similar lineups we need a solid helper at PF. Look this stat below, it shows how valuable Anderson is in such scenarios.

Read on Twitter

Before last draft I liked Taylor Hendricks as mobile stretch four with shotblocking skills. But I would be more than happy if Leonard Miller or/and Minott, can give 100% effort, stays out of foul trouble, dont turn ball over, run in transition, fight for position/rebounds, and hit open threes with league average accuracy. It would an immense help for our roster moving into that 2nd apron zone.

TheZachAttack wrote:Naw/Naz are above average 6th and 7th men, but I would love one more player of their caliber. Monte and McLaughlin are fine 9 and 10 guys. Monte can still be better then that if he can regain some his previous form.

I guess based on our roster construction MIN wont have a luxury to sign above average players to play from bench. First loss will be Anderson who is clearly above average player when he comes from bench. The alternative for bench unit could be going for better fit players, rather than more talented (read more expensive players). Some examples:

TBJ => TJ Warren
DLo => Conley, Morris
Beasley => NAW
Milton => McLaughlin
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#142 » by TheZachAttack » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:54 pm

minimus wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:Warren is a JAG and not worth a roster spot.

I watched a few martial arts tournaments, where fighters can challenge anyone from crowd. One fight was particularly interesting because an ordinary street fighter challenged a professional kickboxer. The biggest difference was not talent as I thought, the biggest difference was ability of professional player to:

- identify opponent weaknesses
- explore opponent weaknesses
- implement fight tactic based on his own strengths and opponent weaknesses. When I say implement means professional was able to win in 3rd round by throwing consistently low kicks, because opponent was disregarding defense in this area.

I remembered this because TJ Warren from very first minute played as professional, and it is hard to expect same level of awareness/confidence from rookie. Right now, I guess he kind of hit the wall in terms of stamina, because he has not played much last two years. But if he can stay healthy, it is hard for me to find a better fit in terms of skills and price (for 10day contract and hopefully vetmin). Also when I look at our g-league roster I dont see a big wing who can shoot the ball like Warren does.

TheZachAttack wrote:I have concerns about Minott if he hasn't been able to see the floor even with injuries to 3 bigs and Kyle in foul trouble. Miller is young enough where he may still have time to develop.

Minott cant hit open three right now, but I think he is young enough to improve. He needs to spend his 3rd full offseason working on his shooting and passing. I find the most disappointing the fact that he said before SL league last summer that he wants to focus on his defense, but he has been mediocre defender even for g-league standards. I really hope that Minott and Miller can be developed as comboforwards who can hit open threes, rebound and provide help defense. Last games without Towns and Gobert MIN play smallball and using very aggressive perimeter defense when our players help helpers. If we play similar lineups we need a solid helper at PF. Look this stat below, it shows how valuable Anderson is in such scenarios.

Read on Twitter

Before last draft I liked Taylor Hendricks as mobile stretch four with shotblocking skills. But I would be more than happy if Leonard Miller or/and Minott, can give 100% effort, stays out of foul trouble, dont turn ball over, run in transition, fight for position/rebounds, and hit open threes with league average accuracy. It would an immense help for our roster moving into that 2nd apron zone.

TheZachAttack wrote:Naw/Naz are above average 6th and 7th men, but I would love one more player of their caliber. Monte and McLaughlin are fine 9 and 10 guys. Monte can still be better then that if he can regain some his previous form.

I guess based on our roster construction MIN wont have a luxury to sign above average players to play from bench. First loss will be Anderson who is clearly above average player when he comes from bench. The alternative for bench unit could be going for better fit players, rather than more talented (read more expensive players). Some examples:

TBJ => TJ Warren
DLo => Conley, Morris
Beasley => NAW
Milton => McLaughlin

Okay, let me rephrase. Warren was, once upon a time, a solid contributor... he is no longer a solid contributor. He can barely move out there and constantly labors and has an extremely flat shot. He gets cooked on D even though he tries.

I am wanting the Wolves to target players in the draft that help them find one more above-average bench contributor. They can't afford that player on the open market for a few years.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Post#143 » by gandlogo » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:15 pm

This may be the least sexiest name to throw out there - and more likely a free agent pick up than a draft pick - but Quinten Post from Boston College as a Luka replacement developmental big. Good passer, good shooter, improved as a shot blocker, legit size. He can do a lot of what Garza does, but with better defense.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#144 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:31 pm

If you want someone in the mold of our PGs on the roster (and you probably should), Tyler Kolek and Tamin Lipsey (if he declares) are far and away my two favorite point guards in the country. They are both in the mold of what we ask for out of our PGs.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#145 » by TheZachAttack » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:07 pm

I want a combo guard who can be a 3-level scorer in the mold of a Jordan Clarkson, but ideally someone who can play off the ball too. I think the biggest thing this team doesn't have is a guy who can create his own shot and collapse defenses at will -- would be great off the bench. I want a guy who can do what Nowell showed flashes of being able to do before his shot inexplicably didn't translate.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#146 » by shangrila » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:24 pm

Klomp wrote:Trey Alexander (Creighton) is a guard in the mold of what Connelly has looked for. Has 11 points in the first half of the opening round game against Akron.

Has a lot of qualities that remind me of Nickeil Alexander-Walker.

NAW isn't a bad comparison. A little less defence than Nickeil but possibly more playmaking.

Trey measured well at the combine last year at 6-4 with a 6-10 wingspan, so he fits the mold of positional size that we seem to target. And if you buy the shooting (he was great the last 2 seasons in a more off ball role, numbers dropped this year with the on ball reps) he looks like an ideal comboguard that could stick in the league for a long time.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#147 » by shangrila » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:27 pm

Klomp wrote:If you want someone in the mold of our PGs on the roster (and you probably should), Tyler Kolek and Tamin Lipsey (if he declares) are far and away my two favorite point guards in the country. They are both in the mold of what we ask for out of our PGs.

I just struggle to get there with Kolek. Obviously he's an amazing passer and he's well built, so relative to his size I don't expect him to get pushed around.

But while the percentages are there I'm not a huge fan of his shot, particularly spotting up, and I'm not sure how his finishing translates given just how ground bound he is. Combine that with defensive concerns (lack of athleticism + a likely small wingspan) and yeah, I'm just not seeing it.

Guys like this can be hard to pick either way though so I could easily be wrong about him. And I do love crafty players so I'd be rooting for him, but objectively I'm just not there with him.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#148 » by shangrila » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:37 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:I want a combo guard who can be a 3-level scorer in the mold of a Jordan Clarkson, but ideally someone who can play off the ball too. I think the biggest thing this team doesn't have is a guy who can create his own shot and collapse defenses at will -- would be great off the bench. I want a guy who can do what Nowell showed flashes of being able to do before his shot inexplicably didn't translate.

That would be a nice get but that's a lot to ask from a late 1st/early 2nd prospect, especially in a weak draft. That said Ajay Mitchell might be the guy you're looking for.

More craft than athleticism and a lower volume 3pt shooter (percentages aren't bad but might not quite be the consistent 3 level scorer you're after), but otherwise is a 6-5 scoring combo-guard that can pressure the rim, make plays for himself and others, and play decent defence.

Another guy worth mentioning is Dillon Jones. Not a combo-guard, more of a G/F, but he's got some 3 level scoring to him and brings a lot of secondary skills to the table. Here's the game he nearly dropped a 30-20-10 triple double:

And if you are willing to entertain more wing types to fill this role, Jaylon Tyson fits as a 6-7 scorer that can make some plays for others too:

shangrila
RealGM

Post#149 » by shangrila » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:43 pm

One other guy that deserves a mention is Kam Jones, the SG from Marquette. Great off ball shooter and scorer who's decent defensively but more importantly really stepped up when Kolek went out as a playmaker.
cmoss84
Junior
And1: 93

Post#150 » by cmoss84 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:31 am

Is Edey actually good or is he just a monster bullying? I have not seen enough to know anything...
minimus
RealGM

Post#151 » by minimus » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:08 am

TheZachAttack wrote:Okay, let me rephrase. Warren was, once upon a time, a solid contributor... he is no longer a solid contributor. He can barely move out there and constantly labors and has an extremely flat shot. He gets cooked on D even though he tries.

I am wanting the Wolves to target players in the draft that help them find one more above-average bench contributor. They can't afford that player on the open market for a few years.

I agree that Warren is not a player who he used to be. But he is on a 10 day contract, and I think he overachieved in these situation. It is hard to expect a player on 10 day contract to come here and play mistake free basketball. I also think he was perfect fit in terms of skillset, which helps our coaching staff and management to prove hypothesis before draft and offseason. In my theory about movement shooter I mentioned Simone Fontecchio who has been playing very well for DET. Maybe MIN should try to get such big European wing?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#152 » by Klomp » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:15 pm

cmoss84 wrote:Is Edey actually good or is he just a monster bullying? I have not seen enough to know anything...

I think he can be a solid role player...let me put it this way, I think he's above Luka Garza in my mind.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,500

Post#153 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:27 pm

Hornets fan here.

Say we land the #1 pick. What else would we have to add to trade for KAT and would you be interested in such move?
shangrila
RealGM

Post#154 » by shangrila » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:06 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Hornets fan here.

Say we land the #1 pick. What else would we have to add to trade for KAT and would you be interested in such move?

More than you'd be willing to give up. Unfortunately even the #1 pick in this draft isn't something to get excited about, so then it needs to expand to more picks and players. But the Hornets don't have a lot of attractive players to add (I'm assuming Lamelo and Brandon Miller are "untouchables") and I'm not sure if the Wolves are interested in a pick heavy package, even if it were the "every possible pick" kind of deal.
minimus
RealGM

Post#155 » by minimus » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:26 am

I am always impressed how effortless elite NBA snipers shoot. Can we get such prospect in draft?
minimus
RealGM

Post#156 » by minimus » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:30 pm

minimus wrote:In my theory about movement shooter I mentioned Simone Fontecchio who has been playing very well for DET. Maybe MIN should try to get such big European wing?

After reading Bjelica retirement news I thought that prime, healthy Bjelica would have been perfect for this team next to defensive studs such as Gobert, McDaniels, NAW:

- unselfish, team player
- high IQ, high character veteran
- underrated passer
- capable 3pt shooter
- committed rebounder

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#157 » by Dewey » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:14 pm

minimus wrote:
minimus wrote:In my theory about movement shooter I mentioned Simone Fontecchio who has been playing very well for DET. Maybe MIN should try to get such big European wing?

After reading Bjelica retirement news I thought that prime, healthy Bjelica would have been perfect for this team next to defensive studs such as Gobert, McDaniels, NAW:

- unselfish, team player
- high IQ, high character veteran
- underrated passer
- capable 3pt shooter
- committed rebounder

Yes!
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#158 » by Klomp » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#159 » by Klomp » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:35 pm

shangrila wrote:
Klomp wrote:If you want someone in the mold of our PGs on the roster (and you probably should), Tyler Kolek and Tamin Lipsey (if he declares) are far and away my two favorite point guards in the country. They are both in the mold of what we ask for out of our PGs.

I just struggle to get there with Kolek. Obviously he's an amazing passer and he's well built, so relative to his size I don't expect him to get pushed around.

But while the percentages are there I'm not a huge fan of his shot, particularly spotting up, and I'm not sure how his finishing translates given just how ground bound he is. Combine that with defensive concerns (lack of athleticism + a likely small wingspan) and yeah, I'm just not seeing it.

Guys like this can be hard to pick either way though so I could easily be wrong about him. And I do love crafty players so I'd be rooting for him, but objectively I'm just not there with him.

gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Post#160 » by gandlogo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:22 pm

Harrison Ingram from UNC is the guy I want in the second round. I don't care how high. Big wing with a smooth stroke and defensive motor. Great frame already holding 235 pounds. FT% is lagging, and needs to improve finishing at the rim, but he looks like a better replacement for Anderson than either Miller or Minott.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves