ImageImageImage

2024 Draft - Who you got?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Re: 2024 Draft - Who you got? 

Post#101 » by shangrila » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:06 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:I’ve grown curious over how the team approaches guards this draft. They’ve basically already got two waiting (Clark+Spagnolo). They also have Nix as an RFA although I can’t imagine they’re too invested in him.

They should be heavily scouting the PG pool this year. Spagnolo is highly unlikely to ever play in the NBA, Clarke is more of a 2/3 guy offensively (and unlikely to get NBA minutes next year) and while I do see what they like in Nix as you say they're unlikely to be heavily invested in him (nor has he shown that he deserves more NBA minutes at this time). Moore is also in this mix though he looks like a complete bust for us. I'm personally still high on Trevor Keels too but he's more of a 2way next year.

I'd be interested to see their draft philosophy here too. In a general sense this team has had success with positional size+length and defensive effort/IQ, with Conley being the only exception to the first part. Assuming they draft for need, if that philosophy continues into the draft then they'll be looking at bigger PGs (think Wendell Moore, at least physically). The huge issue there is 2-fold:

1. Everyone is looking for players like that
2. The prospects that fit this mold where we're drafting often have significant drawbacks or red flags

For example, let's look at some of the guys that might fit that mold that are available around where we're picking (according to recent mocks):

Tyrese Proctor, Duke - Early consensus top 10 pick that's fallen off a cliff. Good measurables, great AST:TO ratio, decent shooting %s. Doesn't get steals or blocks, doesn't get to the line, doesn't rebound, tape shows him struggling to beat guys off the dribble. Just an overall underwhelming performance this season and seems a bit "muted" while he's playing. Too much has to change with this guy for him to be a good NBA role player, let alone anything higher.

Carlton Carrington, Pitt - Exploded onto the scene but has largely come crashing down. I really like him and would easily pick him in the 1st but he's got plenty of red flags at the moment. Can't shoot, doesn't get to the line, no steals. The tape looks far better than the numbers which is why I'm keen on him but this also means that, to me, he won't actually be available when we pick.

Ajay Mitchell, UCSB - Explosive scorer, not much of a PG nor much of a 3pt shooter. Personally he looks a step slow while I watch him and that's especially concerning given his competition. Numbers look amazing though, at least offensively.

Trey Alexander, Creighton - More of a combo guard in past years, he worked on his playmaking and it's improved a lot. Not to the point that he's a PG but I've got more confidence in him handling the ball than NAW. This season though his shot has left him completely, which was his elite, draftable skill in past years. It's tough to get a read on him as a player at this point which is why he's fallen from the mid-1st for most scouts.

If you take height out of the equation though there's a number of skilled guys that are interesting. Tyler Kolek, Judah Mintz, Kylan Boswell, Juan Nunez, Tamin Lipsey, even DJ Wagner if you wanted to be kind and class him as a PG. But the question for them is then can they bring it defensively and, if not, do they bring enough on the other end to justify that? That's the ultimate difference between Conley and McLaughlin.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#102 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 7, 2024 12:47 am

I just looked at Tankathon's latest mock and 4 things I noticed. The Wolves are projected to draft Tyrese Proctor a PG out of Duke at 28 and Justin Edwards a SF out of Kentucky at 37. Minimus's favorite Tristan Da Silva now out of Wolves reach at 25 and Kylan Boswell falling like a rock down to 44. I'm not sure why.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#103 » by KGdaBom » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:51 pm

Something else I just noticed from the Tankathon draft board. Superman's cousin is in the draft this year.
Kel'el Ware
C | Indiana
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#104 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:57 pm

Is there anyone from Santa Clara in the draft this year?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#105 » by KGdaBom » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:25 am

Klomp wrote:Is there anyone from Santa Clara in the draft this year?

According to Tankathon nobody from Santa Clara projected to be drafted. Was it John Stockton or Steve Nash from Santa Clara.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,544

Post#106 » by WolfAddict » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:26 am

Nash
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#107 » by Snakebites » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:26 am

KGdaBom wrote:

According to Tankathon nobody from Santa Clara projected to be drafted. Was it John Stockton or Steve Nash from Santa Clara.

Nash.

Stock went to Gonzaga.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#108 » by KGdaBom » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:34 am

WolfAddict wrote:Nash

The ultimate 50-40-90 guy. Very deserving of his MVPs.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,544

Post#109 » by WolfAddict » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:38 am

KGdaBom wrote:
WolfAddict wrote:Nash

The ultimate 50-40-90 guy. Very deserving of his MVPs.

Loved watching Nash play - Much like I loved watching Rubio, love good passing
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:52 am

KGdaBom wrote:

And taking us up to the modern era, in the last two drafts Santa Clara has produced Jalen Williams (OKC) and Brandin Podziemski (GSW)
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#111 » by KGdaBom » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:59 am

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

And taking us up to the modern era, in the last two drafts Santa Clara has produced Jalen Williams (OKC) and Brandin Podziemski (GSW)

Not quite on par with Nash yet, but looking good so far. Is Santa Clara your alma mater or why do you care?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:31 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:According to Tankathon nobody from Santa Clara projected to be drafted. Was it John Stockton or Steve Nash from Santa Clara.

Not quite on par with Nash yet, but looking good so far. Is Santa Clara your alma mater or why do you care?

Like I said, in the last two drafts the small school has produced two pretty good NBA talents....so I'm simply looking if there are any more on the way.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#113 » by KGdaBom » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:06 pm

There's more draft discussion on the trade thread then there is in the draft thread. Encouraging people to do their draft talk here.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#114 » by shangrila » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:54 pm

Currently Adama Bal is a potential prospect from Santa Clara. See a complete game highlight (both highlights and lowlights) below:

He looks decent offensively, including scoring, off ball and passing. Defensively he's a bit of a wreck though. Honestly, he's more hyped than he would be if it weren't for Williams/Podz coming out of the same school and I wouldn't take him with either of our picks. There are a couple of similar guys that are better in this kind of role (Wooga Poplar, for example)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#115 » by Klomp » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:38 pm

Still one of my favorite late 1st/early 2nd guys

Read on Twitter

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#116 » by minimus » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:25 am

Yesterday I was at game Germany vs Montenegro. Nothing special, but Oscar Da Silva game has caught my eye.

He is older brother of Tristan Da Silva. Scouts say that Fernando is better version of Oscar with better shot. So if this statement is true, I'd love to see MIN drafting Tristan. Oscar reminds me A LOT Slo-Mo:

- solid foundamentals
- high BB IQ: good passer, moves without the ball
- long arms: know how to use them both in offense and defense
- lacks quickness but makes up with good positioning and overall awareness
shangrila
RealGM

Post#117 » by shangrila » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:42 pm

Klomp wrote:Still one of my favorite late 1st/early 2nd guys

Read on Twitter

I'll be honest, I'm out on all the 6-3 and under guards in our draft range right now (except for Devon Carter, who's probably played his way out of this range anyway).

Kolek is a great passer, has been a great pull-up shooter and is a good finisher at the college level. With him, I worry that the defence won't translate (if there's much of it to translate in the first place), that his finishing won't be anywhere near as good against better athletes, and that he can't play off-ball.

Even if my concerns turn out to be true it's likely that he can still have a long NBA career as a backup PG but that's not something you generally invest draft capital into.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#118 » by shangrila » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:10 pm

minimus wrote:Yesterday I was at game Germany vs Montenegro. Nothing special, but Oscar Da Silva game has caught my eye.

He is older brother of Tristan Da Silva. Scouts say that Fernando is better version of Oscar with better shot. So if this statement is true, I'd love to see MIN drafting Tristan. Oscar reminds me A LOT Slo-Mo:

- solid foundamentals

I've come around on Da Silva and agree, he'd be a great pickup where we're slotted to pick. He's a guy that you could drop into any rotation in the league and he'd make a positive impact. So while I expect him to get the same redshirt rookie season as everyone else, he'd be an easy fit in whatever this team looks like 2 years from now.

Another guy you might like is Alex Karaban. He's a similar archetype as TDS but arguably more of a motion shooter (which I know you've got a fetish for at the moment). No Ceilings did an article on him recently highlighting his offensive skillset.

I'll admit, some of those clips of him running through screens is interesting given his size. I don't normally see that from players 6-6 or over.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#119 » by KGdaBom » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:22 pm

minimus wrote:Yesterday I was at game Germany vs Montenegro. Nothing special, but Oscar Da Silva game has caught my eye.

- solid foundamentals

If he's better than Oscar draft him.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by Klomp » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:25 pm

shangrila wrote:Even if my concerns turn out to be true it's likely that he can still have a long NBA career as a backup PG but that's not something you generally invest draft capital into.

I'd understand this argument if we were drafting in the Top 10, but not if we're drafting 26th, which is probably the worst-case scenario at the moment. We almost certainly will have one of the five last picks of the first round. Finding someone who carves out a long career is absolutely an acceptable outcome.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves