ImageImageImage

2024 Draft - Who you got?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

2024 Draft - Who you got? 

Post#1 » by shangrila » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:46 am

Way too early but it's never actually too early so let's get it started.

Even better? We actually have a 1st round pick (and a 2nd from Memphis, ours is going to Denver).
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Re: 2024 Draft - Who you got? 

Post#2 » by KGdaBom » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:08 am

shangrila wrote:Way too early but it's never actually too early so let's get it started.

Even better? We actually have a 1st round pick (and a 2nd from Memphis, ours is going to Denver).

Hopefully our own FRP is real late and the pick we get from Memphis is much better than the one we send to Denver.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#3 » by Klomp » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:18 am

I think most people believe that PG will be the pick if one is there, and I don't necessarily disagree. But the type of PG is the key. Listen to how Finch and Connelly talk about the team and what we need. Two of the biggest buzzwords of the last year-plus are defense and physicality. They also like size and interchange-ability/switchability from their guards, which is part of why Nowell, Rivers and Forbes have been upgraded to Milton, Alexander-Walker and Brown.

So who fits that mold? In the late 1st where we should be, the guy I'm looking at is Tyrese Proctor. I think he checks a lot of boxes that this front office looks for.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Klomp » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:23 am

It might also be wise to look at another long SF. Unless we're looking at Miller to be more of a PF/SF, there's really no one young who is bigger than 6-foot-6 to back up McDaniels. (EDIT: I **** the bed here, completely blanked on Minott; but it's not our deepest position).
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

shangrila
RealGM

Post#5 » by shangrila » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:39 am

Klomp wrote:I think most people believe that PG will be the pick if one is there, and I don't necessarily disagree. But the type of PG is the key. Listen to how Finch and Connelly talk about the team and what we need. Two of the biggest buzzwords of the last year-plus are defense and physicality. They also like size and interchange-ability/switchability from their guards, which is part of why Nowell, Rivers and Forbes have been upgraded to Milton, Alexander-Walker and Brown.

So who fits that mold? In the late 1st where we should be, the guy I'm looking at is Tyrese Proctor. I think he checks a lot of boxes that this front office looks for.

I get Moore vibes from Proctor. I know that's not fair or even rational but at this point I'd avoid him. I just don't see a signature skill that he does at an elite level, although I have seen some places mocking him in the top 10 so maybe I'm just not seeing him.

There's 3 guards I'm keeping an eye on, at least to start;

Judah Mintz, Syracuse - True point guard with good scoring numbers at the rim and in the mid-range. Really needs a 3pt shot, although he's well aware of that so hopefully he's worked on it over the summer. Also some questions about his defence but that's inescapable given Syracuse is still playing their 2-3 zone like it's 1987.

Jared McCain, Duke - Might get buried at Duke (ironically behind Proctor) but he looks like a Brunson-style PG that can play both on and off ball and is more poised than athletic. Already looks like he's going to be an elite shooter so if he actually does have PG skills could be great fit next to Ant. Honestly though he's probably a 2 year guy.

Bronny James, USC - Hopefully his health is fine as he was squaring up to be one of those incredibly valuable gap-filling role players that good teams have. No true elite skill but good feel and a high skill level, paired with good athleticism and a desire for defence, he ticks a lot of good boxes. Unfortunately hasn't looked like a true PG though and won't get that chance at USC next to Collier so he's maybe just another NAW.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Klomp » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:48 am

I think another thing worth bringing up...

If this is truly our identity going forward, do we start keeping an eye open for an heir apparent for Gobert at center? I know it seems strange with Towns and Reid, but I'm talking someone to play next to them like Rudy does at the moment. The only other guy we have close to Gobert's mold right now is Garza, but I don't think I see heir apparent upside.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Klomp » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:00 am

shangrila wrote:
Klomp wrote:I think most people believe that PG will be the pick if one is there, and I don't necessarily disagree. But the type of PG is the key. Listen to how Finch and Connelly talk about the team and what we need. Two of the biggest buzzwords of the last year-plus are defense and physicality. They also like size and interchange-ability/switchability from their guards, which is part of why Nowell, Rivers and Forbes have been upgraded to Milton, Alexander-Walker and Brown.

I get Moore vibes from Proctor. I know that's not fair or even rational but at this point I'd avoid him. I just don't see a signature skill that he does at an elite level, although I have seen some places mocking him in the top 10 so maybe I'm just not seeing him.

That's fair.

I see defense being that skill. He actually reminds me a lot of NAW in that way. Similarly, he may need a year or two to refine his game, but he is like Ant was in that he reclassified to go to college a year early. So he's young. I think he'll "underwhelm" in terms of draft upside, to a point where he'll be picked up by a playoff team and be ean early contributor as a role player.

shangrila
RealGM

Post#8 » by shangrila » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:15 am

KGdaBom wrote:
shangrila wrote:Way too early but it's never actually too early so let's get it started.

Hopefully our own FRP is real late and the pick we get from Memphis is much better than the one we send to Denver.

I expect we'll finish in that 18-24 range. I expect the West to be a bloodbath (By my count there's maybe 3 teams that aren't actively trying to win and make the playoffs in the Blazers, Jazz and Spurs) so nothing is a given but I'd be disappointed if we finished below 6th.

Memphis is hard to judge. How much does losing Ja hurt them? They played well with him out but that was when they had Tyus Jones putting up 16-8 on 60%TS as a starter. Smart is obviously the significantly better defender (although likely overrated on that front) but he's never come close to sniffing that level of efficiency and he's also far more turnover prone (over double the TOV% of Jones).
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,200

Post#9 » by Neeva » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:14 am

Just draft Bronny so his old man can force his way here and be our pg and along with Conley be the oldest pg
tandem in league :lol: But seriously I kind of like Proctor, he’s giving me Haliburton vibes but lets see if he improves shooting his sophomore year because it was very rough his first year. I can definitely see Connely liking him though.

Isaiah Collier is interesting because he is like a way less athletic Ant which might still work in the league but definitely not a future superstar but has some tools. I am gonna see how he and Bronny works at USC.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#10 » by KGdaBom » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:34 am

shangrila wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I expect we'll finish in that 18-24 range. I expect the West to be a bloodbath (By my count there's maybe 3 teams that aren't actively trying to win and make the playoffs in the Blazers, Jazz and Spurs) so nothing is a given but I'd be disappointed if we finished below 6th.

Memphis is hard to judge. How much does losing Ja hurt them? They played well with him out but that was when they had Tyus Jones putting up 16-8 on 60%TS as a starter. Smart is obviously the significantly better defender (although likely overrated on that front) but he's never come close to sniffing that level of efficiency and he's also far more turnover prone (over double the TOV% of Jones).

I'm thinking more like 30 range for our own pick. :D
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#11 » by younggunsmn » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:24 pm

I'm not going to get attached because I'm preparing myself for us to use our pick to move off a contract and/or trade for a vet PG on draft day.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#12 » by Mamba4Goat » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:55 pm

Bummer about the Steven Adams injury but…it could be the final nail in the coffin for a mediocre Griz season. That could land Minnesota a pretty decent 2nd between the worse of Was/Mem on top of wherever their 1st ends up.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:11 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:Bummer about the Steven Adams injury but…it could be the final nail in the coffin for a mediocre Griz season. That could land Minnesota a pretty decent 2nd between the worse of Was/Mem on top of wherever their 1st ends up.

I just can't see someone giving that up for someone on a two-way. And Miller is a no-go for me in trades.

Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#14 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:21 am

Klomp wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:Bummer about the Steven Adams injury but…it could be the final nail in the coffin for a mediocre Griz season. That could land Minnesota a pretty decent 2nd between the worse of Was/Mem on top of wherever their 1st ends up.

I just can't see someone giving that up for someone on a two-way. And Miller is a no-go for me in trades.

Minnesota already owns the 2nd.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#15 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:23 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Yes Klomp. I was a bit confused by your reply also. He wasn't talking about a trade.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:46 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Sleep deprivation, just ignore me....

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,018

Post#17 » by Domejandro » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:00 am

For what it is worth, I could see Memphis trading Stephen Adams and a FRP to Portland for Robert Williams III. That said, if Memphis moves forward without a solid replacement for Stephen Adams, their season is definitely in serious jeopardy.

First twenty games of...

Marcus Smart / Derrick Rose
Desmond Bane / Luke Kennard / John Konchar
Ziaire Williams / David Roddy / Jake LaRavia
Jaren Jackson Jr. / Santi Aldama / Kelly Lofton Jr.
Xavier Tillman Sr. /

IR: Steven Adams and Brandon Clarke (might return around All-Star break)

Only reaction to that lineup:

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#18 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:17 am

Klomp wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:
Klomp wrote:I just can't see someone giving that up for someone on a two-way. And Miller is a no-go for me in trades.

That's what we always do :lol: :sleep: :naaa:
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#19 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:18 am

Domejandro wrote:

For what it is worth, I could see Memphis trading Stephen Adams and a FRP to Portland for Robert Williams III. That said, if Memphis moves forward without a solid replacement for Stephen Adams, their season is definitely in serious jeopardy.

First twenty games of...

Marcus Smart / Derrick Rose
Desmond Bane / Luke Kennard / John Konchar
Ziaire Williams / David Roddy / Jake LaRavia
Jaren Jackson Jr. / Santi Aldama / Kelly Lofton Jr.
Xavier Tillman Sr. /

IR: Steven Adams and Brandon Clarke (might return around All-Star break)

Only reaction to that lineup:

I seem to be in a very small minority, but I don't think Tillman and Aldama are bad at all.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:22 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:Minnesota already owns the 2nd.

That's what we always do :lol: :sleep: :naaa:

I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves