Trade Talk (Part 14): 2023-24 Edition

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Trade Talk (Part 14): 2023-24 Edition 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:44 pm

Have to get the thread started sooner or later...
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Trade Talk (Part 14): 2023-24 Edition 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:50 pm

Note: The following is not necessarily an endorsement of the idea, but merely creating an avenue for discussion on the topic.

I am well aware that we could possibly be selling low, but we also want to be sure we don't wind up selling lower. Towns is a warrior, a good soldier, but I'm not sure if he is the right fit for a two-big lineup in today's NBA. I support the idea of keeping him around in the twin towers lineup, but am not certain Towns is the best fit moving forward.

The Knicks idea is out there. On many accounts, I do believe that if a trade happens, the Knicks make the absolute most common sense. Let me take a look at the player pieces involved, which would also ideally come with multiple picks.

Immanuel Quickley: Defensive point guard, but stuck in a log jam behind Jalen Brunson. Here, he would be the heir apparent to Conley. IQ did not extend before the deadline last week, which means he will be a RFA next summer. But more important, the 24-year old is still eligible to be traded this season at his current salary of $4,171,548. He is a great skill set fit next to Edwards, with his defense and shot-making potential.
Mitchell Robinson: I know this acquisition would seem weird, but he is a young player on a team-friendly declining contract. This is important for us going into the next few years. At 25, Robinson could also be the systematic heir apparent to Rudy Gobert down the road. Listen to this description of him from a Twitter analyst during yesterday's game: This is a very standard Mitchell Robinson possession, and it’s a nice synopsis of what makes him so valuable. One box-out, 2 screens, one offensive board, went for another. Never complains that he gets no touches (Brunson coulda fed him). Just does his job and does it well. This is exactly what we need from the center position. While he probably couldn't play next to Gobert, acquiring him also creates easier minutes opportunities to keep Anderson around.
Evan Fournier: For this year, it would be fun to team up the two Frenchmen. But mainly, this is about his $18,857,143 contract with a team out next summer.

These three incoming salaries combine for $38,710,509, a good match for outgoing salary of Towns and let's say Wendell Moore, which would combine for $38,437,920...a pretty even trade in terms of current salaries. More importantly, even if Connelly were to give Quickley the $25 million AAV he was reportedly looking for in extension talks leading up to last week's deadline, the 2024-25 incoming salaries ($39,318,182) still would be significantly lower than the outgoing salaries ($52,237,040). That's the difference between having a Conley/Anderson or not re-signing them.

This would not be a sexy trade. ESPN would immediately come out and say the Knicks won the trade, yada yada, much in the same way they did with the swap of Russell for Conley. But we do know how that one worked out in the end...
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,200

Post#3 » by Neeva » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:14 pm

How many picks are wolves getting in that deal though?
Also supposedly Quickley wants to get a 27 million per year contract :lol:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Klomp » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:56 pm

Neeva wrote:How many picks are wolves getting in that deal though?

First of all, I haven't necessarily read that anywhere about his asking price. Second of all, I don't necessarily think it's that outlandish either. Keep in mind, that puts him in the range of Devin Vassell and Jaden McDaniels. Is this really a group that he doesn't deserve to belong with? He was second in 6th man of the year voting last year, but he's landlocked in the New York depth chart behind Jalen Brunson. So he should be asking more from them since starting isn't in the immediate or near future plans for the franchise.

As for the picks, I guess it depends on how many that Connelly can squeeze out of them.

TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,494

Post#5 » by TimberKat » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:36 am

I would only do the NYK trade if Towns truly doesn't work and we try to get off his Supermax contract. Would want a scorer, a PG, and picks. Everything else are just fillers
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,685

Post#6 » by shrink » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:54 am

Klomp wrote:

First of all, I haven't necessarily read that anywhere about his asking price. Second of all, I don't necessarily think it's that outlandish either. Keep in mind, that puts him in the range of Devin Vassell and Jaden McDaniels. Is this really a group that he doesn't deserve to belong with? He was second in 6th man of the year voting last year, but he's landlocked in the New York depth chart behind Jalen Brunson. So he should be asking more from them since starting isn't in the immediate or near future plans for the franchise.

As for the picks, I guess it depends on how many that Connelly can squeeze out of them.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2327761
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,200

Post#7 » by Neeva » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:57 am

Klomp wrote:

Jaden is elite defensively, Vassell’s contract Is a huge overpay IMO. Quickley is a chucker who is good when his shot is hot but pretty useless when it is not, no way I pay that much for a bench player like that.

If we get 5 picks like Utah got for Rudy though and quickley signs for about the same as Naz then I probably do it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:10 am

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2327761

($25 million isn't $27 million...)

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:21 am

Neeva wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Jaden is elite defensively, Vassell’s contract Is a huge overpay IMO. Quickley is a chucker who is good when his shot is hot but pretty useless when it is not, no way I pay that much for a bench player like that.

If we get 5 picks like Utah got for Rudy though and quickley signs for about the same as Naz then I probably do it.

If you view Quickley as just "a bench player", then yeah you're of course not going to like this as the package. Me personally, after a trade like this I'm potentially viewing the 2025-26 starting lineup as 26-year old Quickley (15% of the salary cap), 24-year old Edwards (25-30%), 25-year old McDaniels (15%), 26-year old Reid (10-15%) and 27-year old Robinson (8%). That adds up to 73-83% of the salary cap to the starting lineup, when currently we're looking at 90% minimum among the foursome of Edwards, McDaniels, Towns and Gobert, not even getting to a PG replacement yet.

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,010

Post#10 » by Domejandro » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:31 am

Unless a ton of picks are coming back, I honestly hate that package for Karl-Anthony Towns. Evan Fournier is a bench player, Mitchell Robinson does not synergize with Rudy Gobert or Naz Reid at all, and Immanuel Quickley projects to be a mediocre starter.
shrink
RealGM

Post#11 » by shrink » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:36 pm

This is yet another example of why people shouldn’t take Bleacher Report seriously:

EVERY TEAM’S TOP THREE TRADE ASSETS

Minnesota Timberwolves

Top Assets
Karl-Anthony Towns
Jaden McDaniels
Mike Conley

With first-rounders going to the Utah Jazz in 2025, 2027 and 2029, the Minnesota Timberwolves can't trade their 2024, 2028 or 2030 selections. Gobert, who was acquired in the 2022 offseason blockbuster that cost the Wolves all those picks, isn't a positive-value asset. With rising superstar Anthony Edwards off the table entirely, that leaves Karl-Anthony Towns as the team's most movable high-end commodity.

Of course, KAT's four-year, $224 million extension doesn't even kick in until 2024-25. In light of that high cost, his postseason struggles and his dubious ability to anchor a defense, some teams might not view him as the caliber of player worth surrendering multiple firsts to acquire. A fully healthy season in which he showcases his elite floor-stretching prowess while contributing on defense could change that calculus.

Because the Wolves have such hefty financial obligations spread between KAT, Gobert and Edwards, Jaden McDaniels may play this season without an extension. His defense and developing outside shooting make him a fit anywhere, and one could imagine a young team targeting him with an eye toward matching any offer he receives in restricted free agency. The Lakers' acquisition of Rui Hachimura last season provides a blueprint for exactly that type of trade.

Minnesota certainly doesn't want to lose McDaniels, but it might have to consider getting value for the 23-year-old if it can't justify adding a fourth nine-figure contract to its books.

Finally, if things go poorly this year, Mike Conley's expiring $24.4 million could bring back longer-term salary with a pick attached.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10092925-every-nba-teams-top-3-trade-assets

The problem isn’t that KAT and McDaniels aren’t valuable in trade. The problem is that for many other teams, their valuable players simply aren’t available in trade. MIN is constantly treated like a Farm Team for the real NBA teams to poach talent. For example, here’s the write up for the Jazz..

Of those, the 2027 first from Minnesota holds the most appeal. The Wolves may have traded Karl-Anthony Towns by then, Gobert will almost certainly be gone and who knows what'll happen with Anthony Edwards? He'll be extension-eligible after 2026-27, and if things go badly between now and then, maybe noise about him asking out will have already started.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#12 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:44 pm

Klomp wrote:Note: The following is not necessarily an endorsement of the idea, but merely creating an avenue for discussion on the topic.

I am well aware that we could possibly be selling low, but we also want to be sure we don't wind up selling lower. Towns is a warrior, a good soldier, but I'm not sure if he is the right fit for a two-big lineup in today's NBA. I support the idea of keeping him around in the twin towers lineup, but am not certain Towns is the best fit moving forward.

The Knicks idea is out there. On many accounts, I do believe that if a trade happens, the Knicks make the absolute most common sense. Let me take a look at the player pieces involved, which would also ideally come with multiple picks.

Immanuel Quickley: Defensive point guard, but stuck in a log jam behind Jalen Brunson. Here, he would be the heir apparent to Conley. IQ did not extend before the deadline last week, which means he will be a RFA next summer. But more important, the 24-year old is still eligible to be traded this season at his current salary of $4,171,548. He is a great skill set fit next to Edwards, with his defense and shot-making potential.
Mitchell Robinson: I know this acquisition would seem weird, but he is a young player on a team-friendly declining contract. This is important for us going into the next few years. At 25, Robinson could also be the systematic heir apparent to Rudy Gobert down the road. Listen to this description of him from a Twitter analyst during yesterday's game: This is a very standard Mitchell Robinson possession, and it’s a nice synopsis of what makes him so valuable. One box-out, 2 screens, one offensive board, went for another. Never complains that he gets no touches (Brunson coulda fed him). Just does his job and does it well. This is exactly what we need from the center position. While he probably couldn't play next to Gobert, acquiring him also creates easier minutes opportunities to keep Anderson around.
Evan Fournier: For this year, it would be fun to team up the two Frenchmen. But mainly, this is about his $18,857,143 contract with a team out next summer.

These three incoming salaries combine for $38,710,509, a good match for outgoing salary of Towns and let's say Wendell Moore, which would combine for $38,437,920...a pretty even trade in terms of current salaries. More importantly, even if Connelly were to give Quickley the $25 million AAV he was reportedly looking for in extension talks leading up to last week's deadline, the 2024-25 incoming salaries ($39,318,182) still would be significantly lower than the outgoing salaries ($52,237,040). That's the difference between having a Conley/Anderson or not re-signing them.

This would not be a sexy trade. ESPN would immediately come out and say the Knicks won the trade, yada yada, much in the same way they did with the swap of Russell for Conley. But we do know how that one worked out in the end...

If we want to punt on winning now and we get 5 FRPs in the deal it's not terrible.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#13 » by jpatrick » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:52 pm

I do think a Towns trade will happen at some point. Probably not this season though and that Knicks package is just bad.

As far as in-season trades, I think our #1 target has to be a two-way shooter. I hope Milton shoots it more/better, but you can already tell he’s more of an all-around player than quick trigger, floor spacer. I don’t know how we make the money work since we’re already going to be in a severe financial crunch after this year, but I look at Brogdon as a guy that would really help this team. Shooting and the ability to keep things organized when Conley’s not on the floor.
Zonarosa
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#14 » by Zonarosa » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:20 pm

Neeva wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Neeva wrote: Quickley is a chucker who is good when his shot is hot but pretty useless when it is not, no way I pay that much for a bench player like that.

That's how I've felt as well. No thanks.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,494

Post#15 » by TimberKat » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:21 pm

Wolves Exercise 24-25 Option On Wendell Moore Jr. - What does that mean to the 2024 Cap? Can we still release him at the end of this season and save money? What's his cap impact next year?
twolves31
Junior
And1: 255

Post#16 » by twolves31 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:55 pm

Some of the players discussed this past summer in Towns trades are not off to good starts. Scoot is putting up 7.3 2.3 and 3.0 on 33.3% and 8.3% from 3 with 4.3 turnovers in 3 games. Jabari Smith 11.3 7.3 on 37.8% 22.2% and 33.3% from the line in 3 games with Houston fans complaining he doesn't look like he has confidence out there.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#17 » by minimus » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:28 pm

twolves31 wrote:Some of the players discussed this past summer in Towns trades are not off to good starts. Scoot is putting up 7.3 2.3 and 3.0 on 33.3% and 8.3% from 3 with 4.3 turnovers in 3 games. Jabari Smith 11.3 7.3 on 37.8% 22.2% and 33.3% from the line in 3 games with Houston fans complaining he doesn't look like he has confidence out there.

There's always an opportunity to buy low. I would love to get Duren, Sharpe and Jaques.

https://x.com/ushernba/status/1719023685770551609
Guest84
Senior
And1: 358

Post#18 » by Guest84 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:38 pm

The NY Knicks have absolutely NOTHING that this team should want in my opinion. None of those guys are needle movers and seems to be a trade where we're just trading Towns to trade him.

If anything, I'd rather try and pluck some of the young guys away from Det or elsewhere.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#19 » by minimus » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:46 pm

I would love to get Cason Wallace, expiring contracts and 4-5 picks.

I have irrational faith in Cason Wallace
shrink
RealGM

Post#20 » by shrink » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:50 pm

TimberKat wrote:Wolves Exercise 24-25 Option On Wendell Moore Jr. -

What does that mean to the 2024 Cap?

Not much. We would fill the roster spot with someone, and he’s only $0.6 mil more than a vet min guy.

Can we still release him at the end of this season and save money?

No, we guaranteed the 2024-25 season

What's his cap impact next year?

Negligible. We need cheap players to balance out our expensive, top-heavy roster.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves