Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Re: Trade Talk (Part 14): 2023-24 Edition 

Post#1961 » by jpatrick » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:56 pm

TimberKat wrote:
Klomp wrote:
jpatrick wrote:I don’t see us trading for Bones. Ballmer is worth 120 billion. I don’t think he’s worried about the luxury tax in the least, and we are one of their main rivals in the West. If there is any chance Bones would help us, why would they move him here?

This just isn't true. They've made trades in part due to the luxury tax in each of the last three years.

I am sure they do but just not Hyland to Twolves. They would prefer to give it away to DET than get a 2nd round pick from Wolves.

This. Those moves referenced above were when the clips were struggling somewhat. Now, they very well may be the best team in the league. They are not going to give away a player to a main rival to save 10m, in a move that doesn’t help them on the court at all, when they may win the championship this year.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,456

Post#1962 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:52 pm

minimus wrote:I have tried to find a trade for Anderson that complies with multiple parameters such as:

- Anderson should fit in team plan for this season, i.e. help them winning
- trade Anderson should NOT add salaries to receiving team if they already want to duck under tax line (e.g. MEM)
- get a wing in return on expiring contract, no multiyear contracts in return

And... I failed to find any trade that makes sense for both sides. The only resemblance of trade are:
Anderson, Moore for Reggie Bullock.

If we want a trade for future Anderson, Moore, 2nd round pick for Gradey Dick, G.Temple

To sum up: I can make two assumptions here:
- I dont see us trading Anderson, because he is such a unique player AND our financial situation is so bad AND going to be worse in six months
- I cant even imagine how Gupta and TC will maneuver next season

The problem is your thinking too small. Not in the players involved, but the teams involved. The teams that value Kyle might not be the teams with the right player we value. For example, what if NYK wants Kyle and is willing to give a couple seconds or heavily protected first, plus filler. Now O’Neale can come to MN for those picks and Moore can either tag along (NYK would just waive him,) or we dump WMJ elsewhere for cash. Or maybe we do something even crazier and don’t ask for a return on Kyle at all. Instead we create a 9.2 Million dollar TPE (though trade machine attempts at this fail and I don’t know why,) and use the 9.2 Mil TPE to sign Hayward for multiple seasons.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,011

Post#1963 » by Domejandro » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:02 pm

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves