And1: 3,771

Game 17 | OKC @ MIN 

Post#1 » by minimus » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:49 am

A few facts:

- OKC has 10th fastest PACE in NBA
- they play fast but they are 26th in total REB
- they play fast but they are 22nd in 3PA
- they are 2nd in FG%

My interpretation: Chet-Giddey-JW-SGA-Dort-Wallace is a versatile core that excels at creating and exploiting matchups and scoring at rim. Wihtout McDaniels it will be difficult to defend such unique team, a lot depends on our coaching staff.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,441

Re: Game 17 | OKC @ MIN 

Post#2 » by shrink » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:53 am

I’m anxious to see Chet. Last year’s play in game was almost non-competitive with OKC’s complete lack of size, but their developing young bigs should make this one quite entertaining.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,045

Post#3 » by KGdaBom » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:34 pm

We get them at home, but that did us no good against the Kings. It will be interesting. A tough game and I'm hoping for and expecting a W.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,477

Post#4 » by Colbinii » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:10 pm

Ya'll had me thinking a game was today
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#5 » by Biff Cooper » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:40 pm

We really don't have any realistic way to advance in the in-season tournament, do we? If tie-breaker is point differential, other than a 30 point win to pass Phoenix for the west wild card spot, there does not seem to be a realistic chance.

It will be fun to watch us play another good team in OKC regardless.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,243

Post#6 » by Domejandro » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:51 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:We really don't have any realistic way to advance in the in-season tournament, do we? If tie-breaker is point differential, other than a 30 point win to pass Phoenix for the west wild card spot, there does not seem to be a realistic chance.

It would take a thirty-eight point blowout to pass Phoenix for the Wildcard slot, so that is almost certainly off of the table. That said, if Golden State beats Sacramento by twelve, both teams would have a +17 differential. Minnesota would have to then beat Oklahoma City by 21 to surpass both teams.

This is the consequence of dribbling the ball out during wins! Minnesota put themselves behind the eight ball.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,896

Post#7 » by Clav » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:39 pm

A little scouting from your friendly two-team supporter (OKC/MIN; this year is going great for me :lol:)

I'm not sure of the injury report for G/F Jalen Williams but he has missed the past 3 games with a hip injury of some sort. He may yet be out... [EDIT: reported below in below post Williams is available]

OKC recently started Wallace/SGA/Dort/Giddey/Holmgren but has used lots of Isaiah Joe to great 3pt effect. Watch out for the REB differential and pace of the game.... [more REBs will benefit MIN greatly / a lower pace will disrupt OKC's transition scoring] I think REBS play a big role in this match up because the Thunder are not a great rebounding squad so far.

OKC uses loads of G/G PnR, so a shifting/slip screen with the two guards and often a F for hedge (Dort/Joe/Wallace + Kenrich/Holmgren and SGA) to above the break 3s or drives. Emphasis on the constant battery of drives. They use all players as initiators in some regard and whoever initiates is the nominal '1', it's a fairly complex offense imo. They switch a lot on D, often a smaller player guarding the 5 so MN needs to use the size like they did in the play-in game win last year.

Without "Jdub" aka Jalen Williams (the good one) this team is a lot less explosive and viable to being shut down in the paint outside of SGA.

Chet is a problem but he's a rookie, so I expect him to have a rough night vs the bigs of MN, either of which can defend Chet on the wing and outmuscle him inside.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,957

Post#8 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:06 pm

Clav wrote:A little scouting from your friendly two-team supporter (OKC/MIN; this year is going great for me :lol:)

I'm not sure of the injury report for G/F Jalen Williams but he has missed the past 3 games with a hip injury of some sort. He may yet be out...

OKC recently started Wallace/SGA/Dort/Giddey/Holmgren but has used lots of Isaiah Joe to great 3pt effect. Watch out for the REB differential and pace of the game.... [more REBs will benefit MIN greatly / a lower pace will disrupt OKC's transition scoring] I think REBS play a big role in this match up because the Thunder are not a great rebounding squad so far.

OKC uses loads of G/G PnR, so a shifting/slip screen with the two guards and often a F for hedge (Dort/Joe/Wallace + Kenrich/Holmgren and SGA) to above the break 3s or drives. Emphasis on the constant battery of drives. They use all players as initiators in some regard and whoever initiates is the nominal '1', it's a fairly complex offense imo. They switch a lot on D, often a smaller player guarding the 5 so MN needs to use the size like they did in the play-in game win last year.

Without "Jdub" aka Jalen Williams (the good one) this team is a lot less explosive and viable to being shut down in the paint outside of SGA.

Chet is a problem but he's a rookie, so I expect him to have a rough night vs the bigs of MN, either of which can defend Chet on the wing and outmuscle him inside.

Williams is in for tomorrow.

Read on Twitter

The most crucial thing for OKC is probably keeping Chet out of foul trouble and deciding who to let guard KAT. Dort could be a good option but that’d take him off of Ant.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Clav
Starter

Post#9 » by Clav » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:09 pm

Nice, I just missed that report. thanks @Mamba4Goat
Cheers
\m/
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 1,247

Post#10 » by firedavidkahn » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:17 pm

Anthony Edwards has the highest plus-minus this season, at +199.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,645

Post#11 » by Klomp » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:43 pm

firedavidkahn wrote:Anthony Edwards has the highest plus-minus this season, at +199.

And this really has been no matter who has been on or off the court. He has taken the leap and it is resulting in wins.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#12 » by KGdaBom » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:31 pm

firedavidkahn wrote:Anthony Edwards has the highest plus-minus this season, at +199.

Best in NBA or on Wolves?
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,899

Post#13 » by Calinks » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:22 am

Domejandro wrote:
Biff Cooper wrote:We really don't have any realistic way to advance in the in-season tournament, do we? If tie-breaker is point differential, other than a 30 point win to pass Phoenix for the west wild card spot, there does not seem to be a realistic chance.

It would take a thirty-eight point blowout to pass Phoenix for the Wildcard slot, so that is almost certainly off of the table. That said, if Golden State beats Sacramento by twelve, both teams would have a +17 differential. Minnesota would have to then beat Oklahoma City by 21 to surpass both teams.

This is the consequence of dribbling the ball out during wins! Minnesota put themselves behind the eight ball.

That's crazy didn't know we were behind that badly. Guess it really goes to show you absolutely need to be running that score up in these games at all cost. I thought we would definitely still be it after one loss but that point differential stuff has murdered us. Shame, I really wanted to be in this tournament and I think we could have won it.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,441

Post#14 » by shrink » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:26 am

NBA Net Rating (Week 5):
1. Celtics: 8.6
2. Thunder: 8.3
3. Wolves: 7.0
4. Sixers: 6.6

Time to take a bite out of another team’s Net Rating
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 1,247

Post#15 » by firedavidkahn » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:34 am

KGdaBom wrote:

Nba
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#16 » by KGdaBom » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:28 am

firedavidkahn wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Nba

That's a nice stat to lead. :D
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#17 » by minimus » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:18 pm

Interesting PHI put Batum on SGA... Shai still scored 31pts on very efficient 10-21 FG
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,782

Post#18 » by TimberKat » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:39 pm

I am expecting this to be our most competitive game since the Celtics win. We got our SGA stopper and now need Towns to turn into our Holmgren stopper. Will miss JMcD's defense but Wolves by two tonight on Gobert FTs.
Clav
Starter

Post#19 » by Clav » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:37 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
firedavidkahn wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Best in NBA or on Wolves?

Nba

In this case, it is both ;)
Cheers
\m/
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#20 » by KGdaBom » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:32 pm

Clav wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
firedavidkahn wrote:Nba

In this case, it is both ;)

Ven Diagram would show the NBA leader with all the team leaders inside it. Yes it is both, as it would have to be. By saying leading the NBA it is concluded that he is leading the team he plays for which is the Wolves.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves