ImageImageImage

Is Leonard Miller ready to contribute right now?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

No. He needs another year or two
32%
He probably wouldn't hurt us much, but not really
29%
Yes. He would be a positive contributor, but there is no one he should replace
32%
Yes and he should replace somebody on the 15 man roster
7%
Yes and he should replace somebody in the current rotation.
No votes

Total votes: 28

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#1 » by KGdaBom » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:48 pm

I kind of think he is. My vote teetered on the replacing somebody in the current rotation and the replace somebody on the 15 man roster. I'm a little confused about him being on the 15 man roster. He is, but spends a lot of time with Iowa so I meant permanently with the big club. What do you all think?
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,018

Re: Is Leonard Miller ready to contribute right now? 

Post#2 » by Domejandro » Mon Dec 4, 2023 5:24 pm

Leonard Miller is already on the fifteen man roster, he is signed to a four year deal. That said, there is no reason to call him up if there are no available minutes in the rotation.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,733

Post#3 » by shrink » Mon Dec 4, 2023 5:24 pm

If he played a different position, I think his skill level is already good enough to be in the Top 15.

But it’s better for him and the club to remain in the G-League where he can get minutes. Great pick though!
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#4 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Dec 4, 2023 5:45 pm

It’s tough to fit him in as a PF/C. Ideally you’re not playing him at SF and you’ve got KAT/Naz/SloMo/Gobert, all who are crucial, at his ideal positions. You’ve also got Josh Minott and Luka Garza who are close to being ready to contribute full time too. If Gobert would’ve missed the Charlotte game one of them would’ve been great for the rotation. It’ll be interesting to see if one or both of Miller/Minott eventually get a trial run to potentially replace some guys if injuries to one of the 3 rotation bigs and/or Anderson happen.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#5 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Dec 4, 2023 5:54 pm

I don't think he's ready to contribute. You can see how talented he is with the flashes of all of the things he can do as a player at his size. That being said, he's not consistent enough and hasn't cleaned up a lot of the details of his game to be a consistent NBA rotation player at this time.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,474

Post#6 » by winforlose » Mon Dec 4, 2023 6:33 pm

I voted he probably wouldn’t hurt us much, but could use more seasoning. The answer I wanted to vote for, is that we need to know what we have in him and Garza now. I say this because we may need to move Kyle at the trade deadline. In fact if Shake doesn’t return to form I would say we MUST move Kyle at the trade deadline. I say this because we don’t have Kyle’s full bird rights, and we are unlikely to be able to afford him next year. But, his contract with Shake’s, could get a PG like Tyus Jones with full bird rights. This would force us to convert Garza to get back up to 14 players. The one caveat to my plan is I don’t know that the money works to keep us under the cap. We would be at 13 players after the trade. Then you need to pick someone up within two weeks. The conversion should be pro-rated and below the vet minimum (I could be wrong about this.) Someone smarter than me about cap stuff could verify is this works.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#7 » by Worm Guts » Mon Dec 4, 2023 7:16 pm

winforlose wrote:I voted he probably wouldn’t hurt us much, but could use more seasoning. The answer I wanted to vote for, is that we need to know what we have in him and Garza now. I say this because we may need to move Kyle at the trade deadline. In fact if Shake doesn’t return to form I would say we MUST move Kyle at the trade deadline. I say this because we don’t have Kyle’s full bird rights, and we are unlikely to be able to afford him next year. But, his contract with Shake’s, could get a PG like Tyus Jones with full bird rights. This would force us to convert Garza to get back up to 14 players. The one caveat to my plan is I don’t know that the money works to keep us under the cap. We would be at 13 players after the trade. Then you need to pick someone up within two weeks. The conversion should be pro-rated and below the vet minimum (I could be wrong about this.) Someone smarter than me about cap stuff could verify is this works.

I don’t think we should really be considering Anderson’s contract status when it comes to trading him. We’re having our best season in 20 years, let’s worry about winning as much as possible before worrying about whether Anderson might leave in the offseason.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#8 » by winforlose » Mon Dec 4, 2023 8:26 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
winforlose wrote:I voted he probably wouldn’t hurt us much, but could use more seasoning. The answer I wanted to vote for, is that we need to know what we have in him and Garza now. I say this because we may need to move Kyle at the trade deadline. In fact if Shake doesn’t return to form I would say we MUST move Kyle at the trade deadline. I say this because we don’t have Kyle’s full bird rights, and we are unlikely to be able to afford him next year. But, his contract with Shake’s, could get a PG like Tyus Jones with full bird rights. This would force us to convert Garza to get back up to 14 players. The one caveat to my plan is I don’t know that the money works to keep us under the cap. We would be at 13 players after the trade. Then you need to pick someone up within two weeks. The conversion should be pro-rated and below the vet minimum (I could be wrong about this.) Someone smarter than me about cap stuff could verify is this works.

I don’t think we should really be considering Anderson’s contract status when it comes to trading him. We’re having our best season in 20 years, let’s worry about winning as much as possible before worrying about whether Anderson might leave in the offseason.

I agree. That said, Kyle has been well below last seasons 3 point shooting and thus creates poor spacing with Rudy. He has also struggled with free throw shooting and has not been as efficient in the paint. Tyus might be a slight downgrade in defense but a considerable upgrade in spacing and shooting. Meanwhile Tyus has more value next season, and that really does matter as two titles are better than one :)
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#9 » by KGdaBom » Mon Dec 4, 2023 8:51 pm

Domejandro wrote:Leonard Miller is already on the fifteen man roster, he is signed to a four year deal. That said, there is no reason to call him up if there are no available minutes in the rotation.

If you read my post immediately preceding yours you would see that I understood that. I can't edit the poll so I stated my meaning was to stay with the parent club rather than dominating the G. I'm close to saying he should replace somebody in the rotation.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#10 » by winforlose » Mon Dec 4, 2023 9:11 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Leonard Miller is already on the fifteen man roster, he is signed to a four year deal. That said, there is no reason to call him up if there are no available minutes in the rotation.

If you read my post immediately preceding yours you would see that I understood that. I can't edit the poll so I stated my meaning was to stay with the parent club rather than dominating the G. I'm close to saying he should replace somebody in the rotation.

My question for you and the board is who is more NBA ready, Garza Or Miller? If Kyle and Shake both fall out of the rotation, they are replaced by TBJ and one of Miller and Garza. Finch is comfortable with 9-10.

New rotation when Healthy

Mike, Ant, MCD, KAT, Rudy
JMAC, NAW, TBJ, Naz, Luka/Miller

Then later trade Kyle + Shake for Tyus and convert Luka.

The above only works if the math works, which I am not sure about because of the conversion math. I do know that we save almost 200k on the Tyus trade which gives us just over a million in under the tax space if Mike gets his bonus.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#11 » by Yuri Vaultin » Mon Dec 4, 2023 11:40 pm

#freeMinott
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#12 » by Worm Guts » Mon Dec 4, 2023 11:48 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

My question for you and the board is who is more NBA ready, Garza Or Miller? If Kyle and Shake both fall out of the rotation, they are replaced by TBJ and one of Miller and Garza. Finch is comfortable with 9-10.

The above only works if the math works, which I am not sure about because of the conversion math. I do know that we save almost 200k on the Tyus trade which gives us just over a million in under the tax space if Mike gets his bonus.

Garza is more NBA ready, but I don’t see Anderson falling out of the rotation, and even if he did I don’t see how you fit another center into the rotation.
If Milton or Anderson fall out of the rotation, they need to be replaced with perimeter players.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#13 » by winforlose » Mon Dec 4, 2023 11:51 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:If you read my post immediately preceding yours you would see that I understood that. I can't edit the poll so I stated my meaning was to stay with the parent club rather than dominating the G. I'm close to saying he should replace somebody in the rotation.

Garza is more NBA ready, but I don’t see Anderson falling out of the rotation, and even if he did I don’t see how you fit another center into the rotation.

Naz plays PF and Garza center. Miller is essentially a center at this point. As for Kyle falling out of the rotation, you are probably right, but that doesn’t mean it was the best choice available.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#14 » by KGdaBom » Tue Dec 5, 2023 1:17 am

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Good question. My best guess would be Miller.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#15 » by KGdaBom » Tue Dec 5, 2023 1:19 am

winforlose wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Naz plays PF and Garza center. Miller is essentially a center at this point. As for Kyle falling out of the rotation, you are probably right, but that doesn’t mean it was the best choice available.

I think Miller is fine at SF/PF/C.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#16 » by Worm Guts » Tue Dec 5, 2023 5:33 am

winforlose wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Between Rudy, Naz and Towns there’s no real reason to have another big in the rotation.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#17 » by winforlose » Tue Dec 5, 2023 5:38 am

Worm Guts wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Between Rudy, Naz and Towns there’s no real reason to have another big in the rotation.

Naz is already playing PF quite a bit. He does play with Ant and without Rudy or KAT, but that is less and less frequent as the season goes on. If Naz is essentially a PF and KAT can keep playing PF for profit, then you have room for a Garza or Miller to replace Kyle. The question is do you want to replace Kyle. I like some of what Kyle gives you, but his offense has significantly declined this year. So much so that he creates spacing problems when playing with non shooters. Also, if you want a PG trading Kyle is almost essential. We simply cannot pay him next year. Rather than letting him walk for nothing, package him with Shake and bring in Tyus to split time with Mike and be the PG of the future. The upside of benching Kyle for a bit in favor of the young guys is to see if they are NBA ready. Also, Kyle could replace Shake and play pure PG if JMAC has a setback.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#18 » by Worm Guts » Tue Dec 5, 2023 5:57 am

winforlose wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Naz is already playing PF quite a bit. He does play with Ant and without Rudy or KAT, but that is less and less frequent as the season goes on. If Naz is essentially a PF and KAT can keep playing PF for profit, then you have room for a Garza or Miller to replace Kyle. The question is do you want to replace Kyle. I like some of what Kyle gives you, but his offense has significantly declined this year. So much so that he creates spacing problems when playing with non shooters. Also, if you want a PG trading Kyle is almost essential. We simply cannot pay him next year. Rather than letting him walk for nothing, package him with Shake and bring in Tyus to split time with Mike and be the PG of the future. The upside of benching Kyle for a bit in favor of the young guys is to see if they are NBA ready. Also, Kyle could replace Shake and play pure PG if JMAC has a setback.

You could probably fit Miller in positionally, although I think replacing a crafty veteran with a 19 year old rookie probably isn’t going get the consistency we want. Trying to fit Garza in? That seems like it doesn’t give the same type lineup versatility that we have now.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#19 » by winforlose » Tue Dec 5, 2023 6:09 am

Worm Guts wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

You could probably fit Miller in positionally, although I think replacing a crafty veteran with a 19 year old rookie probably isn’t going get the consistency we want. Trying to fit Garza in? That seems like it doesn’t give the same type lineup versatility that we have now.

I guess the question becomes can we afford to get one of Miller/Garza 10-20 minutes per game and keep winning? If yes I think we MUST. The reason being we need to develop our younger players both for insurance come playoff time, but also for next year. I do think there is a good chance Shake gets traded. I think there is a 50/50 chance Kyle does as well. In that case you either shorten the rotation or you replace him. Before you make that trade decision let’s see how one or both of those guys perform in that role. Especially when Kyle is not performing well on offense this year.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#20 » by Worm Guts » Tue Dec 5, 2023 6:17 am

winforlose wrote:
I guess the question becomes can we afford to get one of Miller/Garza 10-20 minutes per game and keep winning? If yes I think we MUST.

I’m not willing to experiment with that. There may come a time when there are injuries and those guys get an opportunity and prove themselves, but not willing mess with our team chemistry just for the sake of giving them an opportunity. We’re winning, so let’s not screw it up for no real reason.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves