RealGM
And1: 4,849

Re: National media attention thread 

Post#61 » by KGdaBom » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:17 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Klomp wrote:Heavy downturn today

Read on Twitter

They are probably under pressure to push the big market teams. One of the Lakers or Warriors will be eliminated in the first play in game. The other might survive the second, but I doubt they make it any further ;)

He said the Lakers and Warriors have no chance.

Idiots. We've dominated the clippers. Suns can win it all, but we can't.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,471

Post#62 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:18 am

KGdaBom wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:
They are probably under pressure to push the big market teams. One of the Lakers or Warriors will be eliminated in the first play in game. The other might survive the second, but I doubt they make it any further ;)

Also it didn’t age well when the Thunder did exactly what we did to the Clippers, and the Mavs took care of the Suns.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,123

Post#63 » by m2002brian » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:54 am

I’m loving Charles and Shaq and the rest of the national media giving us mic time but doubting us at the same time. Fuel to the fire.

“Took it personally” bulletin board material.

I would rather our young guys hear them doubt us and prove them wrong; than be overly flattered and buy to much into hype.
BLUEGREENRED
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 684

Post#64 » by Movics » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:46 pm

Lots of Wolves content on ESPN today

We've got a loaded day of content, Wolves fans. Today, Stephen A. Smith is in Minneapolis set to host "Timberwolves: All-Access" on ESPN.

Times for the TV events:

• Karl-Anthony Towns on First Take (ESPN 2, 9:35 AM CT).

• Naz Reid on SportsCenter (ESPN, 11:20 AM CT).

• Rudy Gobert film session on SportsCenter (ESPN, 12 PM CT).

• Anthony Edwards on SportsCenter (ESPN, 12 PM CT).

• Mike Conley on NBA Today (ESPN 2, 2 PM CT).

• Anthony Edwards NBA Countdown with Stephen A. (ESPN, 6-6:30 PM CT).

And then, of course, the Wolves take on the Bucks on ESPN at 9:00 PM CT. A-Rod is set to join the broadcast at some point.
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
Guest84
Senior
And1: 358

Post#65 » by Guest84 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:56 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Didn't seem that bad to me honestly. The wolves are in a "prove it" situation, trying to rid themselves of the past stench. Lou WIll was logical in his approach for the most part. Chandler didn't say much either to me. I'm sure a lot of us hear have some of the same reservations regarding this team.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,707

Post#66 » by shrink » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:09 pm

I don’t really apprereciate ESPN coming to MIN, just to tell us we’re not as good as the freakin Clippers.

If I was a kid, I’d make a sign saying “Boycott ESPN until they cover the whole NBA, not just 5 teams!”
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#67 » by KGdaBom » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:02 pm

Guest84 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Didn't seem that bad to me honestly. The wolves are in a "prove it" situation, trying to rid themselves of the past stench. Lou WIll was logical in his approach for the most part. Chandler didn't say much either to me. I'm sure a lot of us hear have some of the same reservations regarding this team.

It was more than that bad. Saying we have no chance whatsoever and we're going to lose to a team that we've dominated.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,707

Post#68 » by shrink » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:31 pm

This is how disrespectful ESPN introduces us:

“All Access Day with the Minnesota Timberwolves. In fact, if I gave most NBA fans a pop quiz of who leads a loaded Western Conference, I would bet most wouldn’t guess the Timberwolves.”

Of course they wouldn’t, since the networks rarely show our games, and even when their talking heads mention us, they say we can’t compete with the star teams we’ve already beaten.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#69 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:42 pm

shrink wrote:This is how disrespectful ESPN introduces us:

“All Access Day with the Minnesota Timberwolves. In fact, if I gave most NBA fans a pop quiz of who leads a loaded Western Conference, I would bet most wouldn’t guess the Timberwolves.”

Of course they wouldn’t, since the networks rarely show our games, and even when their talking heads mention us, they say we can’t compete with the star teams we’ve already beaten.

I have no issues with the national media not taking the Wolves seriously as contenders, the Wolves haven’t been a legitimate contender for 2 decades. That perception isn’t going to change because the Wolves had a good first half of the season. It probably takes over a season for public opinion to catch up.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#70 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:46 pm

Worm Guts wrote:

I have no issues with the national media not taking the Wolves seriously as contenders, the Wolves haven’t been a legitimate contender for 2 decades. That perception isn’t going to change because the Wolves had a good first half of the season. It probably takes over a season for public opinion to catch up.

I think you have a good point. I do think the league and the coverage was more respectful in the 03-04 season than this season. I also think the league took more notice in 17-18 with the General, (before he got hurt and we nosedived in the standings.) I also remember higher expectations and more national coverage in 04-05 after we lost in the WCF the prior season. The better we do in the playoffs the more praise we will get from the national media and the more national games we will have.
Guest84
Senior

Post#71 » by Guest84 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:58 pm

winforlose wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

I think you have a good point. I do think the league and the coverage was more respectful in the 03-04 season than this season. I also think the league took more notice in 17-18 with the General, (before he got hurt and we nosedived in the standings.) I also remember higher expectations and more national coverage in 04-05 after we lost in the WCF the prior season. The better we do in the playoffs the more praise we will get from the national media and the more national games we will have.

Part of the problem too is we've always been involved with embarrassing situations. Joe Smith deal, Kahn era, Butler fiasco, Saunders firing/Finch hire, etc. The losing isn't necessarily the issue but rather the franchise's goofy behavior and how they handle things. This team needs to win to break that stigma. Show that it's a completely new era of Wolves basketball that's meant to be taken seriously and that will take time.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#72 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:03 pm

Guest84 wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Part of the problem too is we've always been involved with embarrassing situations. Joe Smith deal, Kahn era, Butler fiasco, Saunders firing/Finch hire, etc. The losing isn't necessarily the issue but rather the franchise's goofy behavior and how they handle things. This team needs to win to break that stigma. Show that it's a completely new era of Wolves basketball that's meant to be taken seriously and that will take time.

There is truth to that. But, I gotta throw a flag on the play because of the ownership change. Literally no one is left from anything before Finch. Lore and Arod are not responsible for Glen Taylor anymore than TC is responsible for Rosas or Kahn, anymore than Finch is responsible for Thibs. Karl is still around and he just made his 4th all star game during one of his best seasons. Finch just coached the All Star team and no one was laughing at him or questioning his credentials. In fact Howls and Growls just talked about our defense possibly being the best by numbers since the late 2000 Celtics. Moreover, Finch is the guy to make the KAT/Gobert pairing one of the most profitable two man pairings in the whole league. So yes, the name Timberwolves is associated with fiasco, but the actual people behind it not so much.

P.S. TC put together a Nuggets roster that won a title last year. He is no slouch either.
Guest84
Senior

Post#73 » by Guest84 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:11 pm

winforlose wrote:
Guest84 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

There is truth to that. But, I gotta throw a flag on the play because of the ownership change. Literally no one is left from anything before Finch. Lore and Arod are not responsible for Glen Taylor anymore than TC is responsible for Rosas or Kahn, anymore than Finch is responsible for Thibs. Karl is still around and he just made his 4th all star game during one of his best seasons. Finch just coached the All Star team and no one was laughing at him or questioning his credentials. In fact Howls and Growls just talked about our defense possibly being the best by numbers since the late 2000 Celtics. Moreover, Finch is the guy to make the KAT/Gobert pairing one of the most profitable two man pairings in the whole league. So yes, the name Timberwolves is associated with fiasco, but the actual people behind it not so much.

P.S. TC put together a Nuggets roster that won a title last year. He is no slouch either.

Agreed...but the national media and casual fans may not view it that way. We're here following the team so we're aware but the team still has stench of the prior regime. Also, another thing to consider is we added a "cheater" as one of our new owners. I personally don't care, but again it's something the national media and casuals can attack. It's just going to take time for the team to be respected.
Guest84
Senior

Post#74 » by Guest84 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:15 pm

winforlose
General Manager

Post#75 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:18 pm

Guest84 wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Guest84 wrote:

Agreed...but the national media and casual fans may not view it that way. We're here following the team so we're aware but the team still has stench of the prior regime. Also, another thing to consider is we added a "cheater" as one of our new owners. I personally don't care, but again it's something the national media and casuals can attack. It's just going to take time for the team to be respected.

Arod is only a cheater in the baseball community. I am casual baseball fan (only when the Twins are good,) and I don’t especially care about his past. That is not to say you are wrong or that others won’t share that concern. Ultimately I don’t think Arod’s baseball legacy will get much coverage outside of his having been and played around champions.

I agree that the name Timberwolves has been tarnished enough that it needs to be cleansed in a spiritual fire. Being the number one seed, winning a playoff series (or more,) drafting well (Miller and Minott developing,) hitting on trades (Rudy, Mike, NAW, hopefully Monte,) and developing talent (Ant, Jaden, Naz, and JMAC,) is all a good start. Even bringing in free agents like Kyle and Taurean speaks well of us. But ultimately winning a title is how you win that respect and that gravitas. That is the mission, and I could see us completing it this year.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#76 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:44 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#77 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:31 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#78 » by KGdaBom » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:25 pm

Worm Guts wrote:

I have HUGE issues with it. We have been the best or at least 2nd best team in the NBA for over 50 games now. It's ridiculous not to consider us Legit.
Will we win the title? Probably not, but you can say the same thing about every other team as well.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#79 » by Worm Guts » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:40 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

I have HUGE issues with it. We have been the best or at least 2nd best team in the NBA for over 50 games now. It's ridiculous not to consider us Legit.
Will we win the title? Probably not, but you can say the same thing about every other team as well.

You don’t get anything from people saying nice things about you. You want your credit, then go earn it.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#80 » by KGdaBom » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:48 am

Worm Guts wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

You don’t get anything from people saying nice things about you. You want your credit, then go earn it.

I guess it's all a matter of opinion, but IMO we have earned it by how we have played. Prior seasons to this one mean nothing. We are as legit contenders as any other team. If we're not legit contenders nobody else is either.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves