Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,591

Re: National media attention thread 

Post#121 » by winforlose » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:26 pm

Klomp wrote:
Note30 wrote:
winforlose wrote:I saw a clip of undisputed talking about game 2. The link is below, it talks about the Suns first and gets to us at about 12 minutes and change. But during the video they talk about why the Suns are imbalanced and why the Wolves are rising. This is the perfect example of someone watching us and not seeing us. They talk about how Rudy is not that important to our defense, Jaden is on the verge of becoming a star, they basically say we don’t have a big 3, (filmed hours before Naz becomes sixth man of the year, and with 3 max players besides him,) and talk about Ant as more of an energy guy when he isn’t scoring. No mention of Ant’s defense in the entire clip. They only reference Mike to say he is the missing piece for the Suns. People need to watch more Wolves if they want to understand the Wolves.

My guy undisputed is basically looking at the tabloids hoping for the WSJ.

You are taking this as an insult, but I don't see it as one. Unless you want to add it to the "Rudy Gobert disrespect" pile, which I would understand. But in the sense of Big 3 as three superstars, we don't really have one. Gobert isn't a superstar in the traditional sense, and that's okay. People never talked about Dikembe Mutombo or Alonzo Mourning that way and they're both Hall of Famers like Gobert will soon be.

But to your broader point, it's a little annoying to hearthe first 2/3rds of the clip focus solely on the Suns, but isn't that the gist of talk radio/television in general? It's Monday Morning Quarterbacking. It's watercooler talk. What would you do different if it was you running the teams? They don't have to focus on Minnesota because we shouldn't need to change that much.

I hear you. From my perspective, Rudy is averaging 14 and 13 and is the defensive force of this generation. Does a star really need to average 20 points? What if the efficiency is over 60% because Rudy’s is 66.1%. Rudy outscored Beal and did it in less than half the shots. He tied KD and did it with 7 fewer shots, and was 2 behind Booker and did it with 5 fewer shots. If that isn’t star power, what is? Also Rudy is making a super max. If you are gonna talk about his value relative to other highly paid stars shouldn’t he get recognized for things he does to earn that money? I don’t only hate how under appreciated Rudy is, I hate the evaluation metric as well.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,275

Post#122 » by Domejandro » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:44 pm

TimberKat wrote:I think a more interesting conversation is how does the current team's big 4 stack up to the KG 03-04 team (exactly 20 years ago?). KG, Sam, Sprewell, Wally vs Ant, Towns, Gobert, JMcd? I think the current role players: Conley, Naz, and NAW are better. Is Ant close to KG level yet? Which big 4 could you take? I take the current one.

For just that year vs. this year?

1. Kevin Garnett
40. Rudy Gobert
41. Sam Cassell
42. Karl-Anthony Towns (swap with Edwards if you want, not debating it here)
43. Anthony Edwards
80. Jaden McDaniels
81. Wally Szczerbiak (He was injured most of that year).
81. This year's entire rotation.
683. Latrell Spreewell (awful)

2004 Kevin Garnett is miles above anyone currently on this Minnesota Timberwolves and Sam Cassell was playing at an unreal level that season. That said, the remainder of Minnesota's supporting cast (especially with Wally Szczerbiak banged up most of the season) was absolutely atrocious.
Guest84
Pro Prospect
And1: 396

Post#123 » by Guest84 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:07 pm

TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,607

Post#124 » by TimberKat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:49 pm

Domejandro wrote:
TimberKat wrote:I think a more interesting conversation is how does the current team's big 4 stack up to the KG 03-04 team (exactly 20 years ago?). KG, Sam, Sprewell, Wally vs Ant, Towns, Gobert, JMcd? I think the current role players: Conley, Naz, and NAW are better. Is Ant close to KG level yet? Which big 4 could you take? I take the current one.

1. Kevin Garnett
40. Rudy Gobert
41. Sam Cassell
43. Anthony Edwards
80. Jaden McDaniels

2004 Kevin Garnett is miles above anyone currently on this Minnesota Timberwolves and Sam Cassell was playing at an unreal level that season. That said, the remainder of Minnesota's supporting cast (especially with Wally Szczerbiak banged up most of the season) was absolutely atrocious.

What is the number in front of each players? Ringer has Ant at 14, Towns 27, Gobert 34, JMcD 73. I remember Spreewell played fairly well (not as good as in GSW, NYK), just worry too much about feeding his family. I guess NBA didn't pay as well as they do today.

KG carried that team on both ends - scored 24.2 vs Ant 25.9; 13.9rb vs Gobert 12.9; 5ast vs Ant 5.1ast.

I think Ant is getting close to KG but still is an MVP#1 player vs All NBA 3rd team player #14.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,646

Post#125 » by Calinks » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:56 pm

Well, Chuck didn't say we are a good team or that he was wrong lol. But he just said he loves Anthony Edwards and he's his favorite player right now. Shaq has been hyping Anthony Edwards too. Winning changes a lot.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,344

Post#126 » by Mattya » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:19 pm

This team would absolutely destroy that 04 team.

McDaniels and Gobert completely nullifies that teams offense. KAT stretching KG out to three leaves Ant being guarded by Hassell or Spree getting screens from Gobert going downhill at 50 year old Big Erv? Unless they want to put any of those 04 centers on KAT lol
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,591

Post#127 » by winforlose » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:00 am

younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,427

Post#128 » by younggunsmn » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:34 am

TimberKat wrote:
Domejandro wrote:

1. Kevin Garnett
40. Rudy Gobert
41. Sam Cassell
43. Anthony Edwards
80. Jaden McDaniels

What is the number in front of each players? Ringer has Ant at 14, Towns 27, Gobert 34, JMcD 73. I remember Spreewell played fairly well (not as good as in GSW, NYK), just worry too much about feeding his family. I guess NBA didn't pay as well as they do today.

KG carried that team on both ends - scored 24.2 vs Ant 25.9; 13.9rb vs Gobert 12.9; 5ast vs Ant 5.1ast.

I think Ant is getting close to KG but still is an MVP#1 player vs All NBA 3rd team player #14.

Are we playing 2004 rules or 2024 rules?
Totally different eras.

In the 2004 West Finals vs the Lakers, a team scored 100 pts exactly once in 6 games.
The Wolves made 31 3-pointers over 6 games and the Lakers made only 38.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2004-nba-western-conference-finals-lakers-vs-timberwolves.html

That Wolves team had decent roleplayers in Hassell and Hoiberg.
We were forced to throw 3 crap centers at Shaq. Smallball was not an option with him.

Our eFG was only .472 and the Lakers .496 would be dead last in this era.
The game could be played much more physical and FG makes were harder to come by back then.

That said, I like this years team more, it has fewer weak spots.
I like Conley over Cassell because he does the same things well but shoots better from 3 and plays better D.
Sprewell was super inconsistent and not very efficient.
If we get playoff Jaden, he's better than any of the 2004 role players.
KG being MVP of the league that year is not enough to overcome having 3 All-NBA level players in Ant, KAT, and Rudy.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#129 » by younggunsmn » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:04 am

younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#130 » by younggunsmn » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:54 am

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,156

Post#131 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:24 pm

Mattya wrote:This team would absolutely destroy that 04 team.

McDaniels and Gobert completely nullifies that teams offense. KAT stretching KG out to three leaves Ant being guarded by Hassell or Spree getting screens from Gobert going downhill at 50 year old Big Erv? Unless they want to put any of those 04 centers on KAT lol

That just got me thinking, what's the current-day comp for Hassell? First guy who came to mind for me was actually Royce O'Neale.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Guest84
Pro Prospect
And1: 396

Post#132 » by Guest84 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:33 pm

I’m seeing ppl still giving the wolves back jagged compliments. Acting like their defense wasn’t the reason for Phoenix poor play.

Especially, Stephen A with his tired “Rudy got played off the floor” narrative against the suns in the reg season. Stop it, wolves TOOK that series and TOOK game 4 in their building.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#133 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:41 pm

Guest84 wrote:I’m seeing ppl still giving the wolves back jagged compliments. Acting like their defense wasn’t the reason for Phoenix poor play.

In the current landscape of NBA basketball, I think the belief is that no defenses are truly great. So I think that holds people back from truly appreciating the team's greatness.

I think people will begin to understand it in this next series. I see the series going a minimum of 6 games, because I think both teams are that good. This will be the next great NBA rivalry, and after the series people will be calling it the true Western Conference Finals.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,948

Post#134 » by shrink » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:11 pm

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,391

Post#135 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:22 pm

Klomp wrote:
Mattya wrote:This team would absolutely destroy that 04 team.

That just got me thinking, what's the current-day comp for Hassell? First guy who came to mind for me was actually Royce O'Neale.

Hassell couldn't shoot a lick. So probably Josh Okogie?
cmoss84
Junior
And1: 99

Post#136 » by cmoss84 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:53 pm

Hassell had good touch around the rim (if I remember right). I'd say NAW at 30% from 3?
cmoss84
Junior
And1: 99

Post#137 » by cmoss84 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:55 pm

At first I was pissed when Chuck was rambling on in his post game remarks. But then it got comical...everyone else was quiet as he looked/sounded like an idiot.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,391

Post#138 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:17 pm

cmoss84 wrote:Hassell had good touch around the rim (if I remember right). I'd say NAW at 30% from 3?

I don't think Hassell was as good of a defender as NAW. I'm pretty sure the rule changes nerfed his game.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#139 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,275

Post#140 » by Domejandro » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:11 pm

Minnesota is getting a lot of love around the league.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves