Game 42 OKC at Minnesota 1/20/24 30-11

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,018

Re: Game 42 OKC at Minnesota 1/20/24 30-11 

Post#121 » by Domejandro » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:46 pm

Being honest, Dane’s analysis there is pretty meh. While it would cut down on a minor amount of turnovers, a huge chunk of Anthony Edwards’ turnovers happen before he gets into position for a midrange jumper (often times one dribble into poke away on the second).

The answer to solving the turnover problem isn’t encouraging extreme inefficiency, in my opinion.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,471

Post#122 » by winforlose » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:56 pm

Domejandro wrote:Being honest, Dane’s analysis there is pretty meh. While it would cut down on a minor amount of turnovers, a huge chunk of Anthony Edwards’ turnovers happen before he gets into position for a midrange jumper (often times one dribble into poke away on the second).

The answer to solving the turnover problem isn’t encouraging extreme inefficiency, in my opinion.

Dane should watch Howls and Growls. They break down how the spacing issues combined with the defense packing the paint are killing the offense. Dane also likes to pretend that 6 of our 8 rotation players (or 75% of our rotation,) doesn’t shoot average or better from distance (Naz, Karl, and Mike are all having outstanding accuracy years, Jaden from a corner is lethal, Ant gets hot and doesn’t look back, and NAW is streaky but still 35.9% for the season.) The issue isn’t need more shooters, the issue is the coach needs to encourage better spacing and off ball movement with offensive system/structure. Moreover guys need to take the open corner 3s to force the paint open on the close out. Finally, indecisiveness is a problem for the Wolves. Whether it is taking to long and waiting for the double or passing up open 3s for contested 2s/turnovers the team keeps driving into the heart of the defense and making everything much harder than it should be.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#123 » by jpatrick » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:47 pm

winforlose wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Being honest, Dane’s analysis there is pretty meh. While it would cut down on a minor amount of turnovers, a huge chunk of Anthony Edwards’ turnovers happen before he gets into position for a midrange jumper (often times one dribble into poke away on the second).

Dane should watch Howls and Growls. They break down how the spacing issues combined with the defense packing the paint are killing the offense. Dane also likes to pretend that 6 of our 8 rotation players (or 75% of our rotation,) doesn’t shoot average or better from distance (Naz, Karl, and Mike are all having outstanding accuracy years, Jaden from a corner is lethal, Ant gets hot and doesn’t look back, and NAW is streaky but still 35.9% for the season.) The issue isn’t need more shooters, the issue is the coach needs to encourage better spacing and off ball movement with offensive system/structure. Moreover guys need to take the open corner 3s to force the paint open on the close out. Finally, indecisiveness is a problem for the Wolves. Whether it is taking to long and waiting for the double or passing up open 3s for contested 2s/turnovers the team keeps driving into the heart of the defense and making everything much harder than it should be.

I don’t think percentages are the problems. It’s attempts. Anderson/Gobert won’t shoot. Naw, JMac, McDaniels, although shooting okay percentages, are low volume guys. Unless they are in a roll they will continually drive into traffic instead of shooting. What’s worse is despite their percentages, I don’t think teams really respect them as shooters and would rather have them shoot than give up Ant/KAT drives, so they pack the paint.

I think a high volume gunner, like Beasley, would help that spacer. You have to guard him because he will 100% shoot it and make a good percentage. Beasley is not available that’s why I’ve been an advocate of acquiring Burks, who is a very good shooter, maybe not Beasley level, but also a better creator.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,471

Post#124 » by winforlose » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:54 pm

jpatrick wrote:
winforlose wrote:

I don’t think percentages are the problems. It’s attempts. Anderson/Gobert won’t shoot. Naw, JMac, McDaniels, although shooting okay percentages, are low volume guys. Unless they are in a roll they will continually drive into traffic instead of shooting. What’s worse is despite their percentages, I don’t think teams really respect them as shooters and would rather have them shoot than give up Ant/KAT drives, so they pack the paint.

I think a high volume gunner, like Beasley, would help that spacer. You have to guard him because he will 100% shoot it and make a good percentage. Beasley is not available that’s why I’ve been an advocate of acquiring Burks, who is a very good shooter, maybe not Beasley level, but also a better creator.

You are right that they shoot low volume, but I think they could all hold up in high volume. The issue is Finch needs to drill into them, if you pass up open corner 3s I will bench you. He needs to make it clear to Jaden especially if he keeps passing them up NAW will start until Jaden stops. Likewise Ant should have a short leash end of game and should be benched when he goes hero ball. Karl should be told if he passes up open 3s for drives Naz will close games and may become the starter until Karl cleans it up. Finch holding guys accountable is how we improve. We don’t need a poor defender to chuck 3s, we need better shot selection and a willingness to shoot them.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#125 » by jpatrick » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:02 pm

I agree with this. Both counts. Make them shoot. And Ant cannot devolve into iso ball late in close games. At least not to the extent he does.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves