ImageImageImage

Game 43 Hornets at Wolves 1/22/24 30-12

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Re: Game 43 Hornets at Wolves 1/22/24 30-12 

Post#141 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:50 am

And if he has 8 turnovers and goes 2-10 in the 4th while the rest of the team is out of sorts from watching him for 3 quarters, it is a bad thing.

And no, "A win is a win a loss is a loss" is an oversimplification that fails to look at the bigger picture.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#142 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:47 am

BlacJacMac wrote:And if he has 8 turnovers and goes 2-10 in the 4th while the rest of the team is out of sorts from watching him for 3 quarters, it is a bad thing.

And no, "A win is a win a loss is a loss" is an oversimplification that fails to look at the bigger picture.

I can live with 2-10 in the 4th with the rest of the game as incredible as it was. A win is a win a loss is a loss. No oversimplification. It's what goes on your record and what establishes your playoff seeding. Once the game is over nothing else matters. If you won with style it doesn't help you win the next game.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#143 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:36 am

And if you struggle to beat bad teams it can paper over real problems that cause you to lose to better ones.

Analyzing wins and losses tells you a lot more than your record does.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#144 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:42 am

BlacJacMac wrote:And if you struggle to beat bad teams it can paper over real problems that cause you to lose to better ones.

Nothing about the last game helps you win or lose the next. All that matters is the W or L. Nothing else matters one iota.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,005

Post#145 » by Domejandro » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:51 am

If I am being honest, I kind of feel like the "a win is a win, a loss is a loss" stuff functionally nukes all interesting discussion that can be had about a performance.

I personally think it is absolutely valid to analyze what does and doesn't work, game-to-game. What's the point of disucssing basketball if the analysis is a binary "win: yes/no"?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#146 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:59 am

Domejandro wrote:If I am being honest, I kind of feel like the "a win is a win, a loss is a loss" stuff functionally nukes all interesting discussion that can be had about a performance.

I personally think it is absolutely valid to analyze what does and doesn't work, game-to-game. What's the point of disucssing basketball if the analysis is a binary "win: yes/no"?

Nothing wrong with discussion whatsoever, but when the game is done whoever has more points gets a game in the win column and whoever has less points gets a game in the loss column. Whether you win by 50 or by 1 doesn't matter. You can't carry the points over to the next game. If you get a blowout the ability to rest your starters in the 4th could help you win the next game so there is that. However, winning pretty means nothing regarding the next game. You still have to go out there and outscore the opponent.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#147 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:01 am

Adding insult to injury the Detroit Pistons beat the Hornets tonight.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#148 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:11 am

KGdaBom wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:And if you struggle to beat bad teams it can paper over real problems that cause you to lose to better ones.

Nothing about the last game helps you win or lose the next. All that matters is the W or L. Nothing else matters one iota.

So you don’t believe you can learn anything from experiences.

That you can’t see faults and address them?

So I guess in your world, teams are the same from Game 1 to Game 82.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,005

Post#149 » by Domejandro » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:09 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Domejandro wrote:If I am being honest, I kind of feel like the "a win is a win, a loss is a loss" stuff functionally nukes all interesting discussion that can be had about a performance.

Nothing wrong with discussion whatsoever, but when the game is done whoever has more points gets a game in the win column and whoever has less points gets a game in the loss column. Whether you win by 50 or by 1 doesn't matter. You can't carry the points over to the next game. If you get a blowout the ability to rest your starters in the 4th could help you win the next game so there is that. However, winning pretty means nothing regarding the next game. You still have to go out there and outscore the opponent.

Habits do transition game-to-game, which we have seen with recent losses.

I feel like I clearly laid out various problematic habits throughout the year, it gets handwaived as "a win is a win", and then when those habits lead to losses, there is no appreciation about how habit building is incredibly important.

I don't know, not really looking to debate it super hard, I kinda just think it is a bit needlessly reductive. I think it is worthwhile to celebrate "bad wins" rather than hyperfixating on negativity for no reason, but the blank slate theory is a little dubious, to me.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#150 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:37 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

So you don’t believe you can learn anything from experiences.

That you can’t see faults and address them?

So I guess in your world, teams are the same from Game 1 to Game 82.

I said NONE of those things. What I said is when the last game is over it's over. All that matters is the W or L. Go ahead and learn. I never said you shouldn't. However, is anything you did, good or bad, from the last game going to be carried over to the next game. Not one iota. The last game is over and done with in the past and whining about tonight's game for example not being pretty enough will not help our team whatsoever. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. That is a FACT and it can't be changed. No matter how much you want to think a win is a loss or a loss is a win that will always be wrong. ALWAYS. 100% of the time.

You just really enjoy trolling people particularly me.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#151 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:40 am

Domejandro wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Habits do transition game-to-game, which we have seen with recent losses.

I feel like I clearly laid out various problematic habits throughout the year, it gets handwaived as "a win is a win", and then when those habits lead to losses, there is no appreciation about how habit building is incredibly important.

I don't know, not really looking to debate it super hard, I kinda just think it is a bit needlessly reductive. I think it is worthwhile to celebrate "bad wins" rather than hyperfixating on negativity for no reason, but the blank slate theory is a little dubious, to me.

We won tonight. I'm happy. Could we have won more convincingly and pretty? Yes we could have. Should we learn from what we did right or wrong in tonight's game of course we should. However, a win is a win. Put it on our record.
Isegrim
Ballboy
And1: 61

Post#152 » by Isegrim » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:03 pm

Has the L2M report and the six (!) missed pro Wolves calls already been diskussed?

https://www.si.com/nba/timberwolves/news/refs-missed-ten-calls-in-last-two-minutes-of-wolves-hornets-game
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,452

Post#153 » by winforlose » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:05 pm

Isegrim wrote:Has the L2M report and the six (!) missed pro Wolves calls already been diskussed?

https://www.si.com/nba/timberwolves/news/refs-missed-ten-calls-in-last-two-minutes-of-wolves-hornets-game

Kind of. My thoughts are simple. Don’t toy with your food, don’t slack on defense, and don’t sleepwalk through bad teams. The refs definitely ****** us, but it should never have been theirs to give away.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,683

Post#154 » by shrink » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:49 pm

I think that Coach Finch needs to put in goals each game to give the competitors challenges, so they don’t slack off against bad teams, and that they finish quarters stronger.

The first goal should be to try to stop any team from scoring 25 points in any quarter. In fact, I would bring a board out to the bench, and every time they finish a quarter without giving up 25, they get to put a D sticker on the board. This would help them visualize their success, and chop the game into smaller pieces that can help them maintain focus.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves