Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Game 48: Dallas at Minnesota (33-14) 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:32 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,544

Re: Game 48: Dallas at Minnesota (33-14) 

Post#2 » by WolfAddict » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:36 pm

That's a lot of outs for the Mavs - Should be a win but regardless I'm looking forward to this game (because I actually get to watch it lol)
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#3 » by moss_is_1 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:46 pm

Need to come in and take care of business. Don't mess around.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,260

Post#4 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:47 pm

Looks like I may be suiting up for the Mavs tomorrow...
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,544

Post#5 » by WolfAddict » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:49 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:Looks like I may be suiting up for the Mavs tomorrow...

Brother if you play against us, we'll lose for sure :wink:
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,472

Post#6 » by winforlose » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:00 am

Wow. Assuming we don’t melt down, 3-1 against the Mavs for the year.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#7 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:39 am

moss_is_1 wrote:Need to come in and take care of business. Don't mess around.

A win is a win. Them missing players doesn't bother me.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,663

Post#8 » by Clav » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:57 am

So potentially 5 of top 6 point getters on DAL will be out...

I'm expecting starting 5 of Hardy/Hardaway Jr/Green/Williams/Kleber*orPowell*

DAL bench is a bunch of misfits, [Markeiff Morris, Seth Curry, and rookie Oliver-Maxence Prosper] MN should take out all that pent up anger from the referees last game and blow this game out...it's on home court.. let's go!

Some other names from the Texas Legends squad that may get a call up [Mind you the Texas Legends and Iowa Wolves just split a pair of games in Frisco, TX this week]

AJ Lawson, Forward
Greg Brown III, Forward/Wing, he who attempts under the legs dunks in-GL-games :lol:
Brandon Williams, PG, "the undrafted one" or maybe Brandon "Break glass in case of emergency PG" Williams
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Post#9 » by gandlogo » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:56 pm

A win today will be about as impressive as beating the Dallas Wings. Empty calories.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,719

Post#10 » by shrink » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:34 pm

gandlogo wrote:A win today will be about as impressive as beating the Dallas Wings. Empty calories.

True, but a loss would be devastating.

One of the Wolves biggest weaknesses last year was losing to bad teams. I think we were like 7-9 against the four worst teams in the league, none of them won 30 games. This was primarily Ant, but a lot of our players wouldn’t get up for bad opponents, and played sloppy ball.

I warned four weeks ago that despite MIN’s glitzy record, we still haven’t grown past that ability to put away bad teams. It was just being papered over by our great defense, so we’d still get wins.

Champion teams put the bad teams away, generally do it early, and don’t let them back in with turnovers and allowing big runs. We need to be much better at this, as the last couple weeks have demonstrated.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#11 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:50 pm

gandlogo wrote:A win today will be about as impressive as beating the Dallas Wings. Empty calories.

I don't care about impressive. in 50 plus years of watching NBA basketball I've learned that winning impressive and $6 can buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. $6 alone can buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Impressive is worthless. As Al Davis said "Just win baby"
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#12 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:53 pm

shrink wrote:

True, but a loss would be devastating.

One of the Wolves biggest weaknesses last year was losing to bad teams. I think we were like 7-9 against the four worst teams in the league, none of them won 30 games. This was primarily Ant, but a lot of our players wouldn’t get up for bad opponents, and played sloppy ball.

I warned four weeks ago that despite MIN’s glitzy record, we still haven’t grown past that ability to put away bad teams. It was just being papered over by our great defense, so we’d still get wins.

Champion teams put the bad teams away, generally do it early, and don’t let them back in with turnovers and allowing big runs. We need to be much better at this, as the last couple weeks have demonstrated.

Until the 2 recent ridiculous losses to Charlotte and Spurs we had been very good at taking care of business against bad teams. Not blowing them out simply beating them. Hopefully those games will just be a blip on the radar at the end of the season.
bluethunder0005
Pro Prospect
And1: 155

Post#13 » by bluethunder0005 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:53 pm

Would be nice to have a big enough lead where some of the bench players can get some good burn tonight. Really don't want to see the team have to play the starters in the 4th.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,472

Post#14 » by winforlose » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:57 pm

I hope we bring Minott and Miller up for this one. Give Shake and Troy some burn as well in garbage time to try and raise their value. Of course I want garbage time to last 15 minutes or more.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Post#15 » by gandlogo » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:30 pm

shrink wrote:

I agree with nearly all of this. Good teams put away terrible teams early. I too believe the record is not indicative of a great - or even contending team. Especially given that the Wolves arguably looked better earlier in the season and have not shown improvement throughout the season. I'm not convinced the defense is that great, or was what led to the wins against various toothless tigers. The overall talent level disparity more so in my mind. Having enough maturity or professionalism not to lose to bad teams this year is an extremely low bar, and one I do not celebrate clearing.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,765

Post#16 » by Slim Tubby » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:19 pm

I expect THJ to go for 40 tonight considering the shot attempts he will have. We MUST defend the 3...any team of misfits can get hot from deep for a single game.

Sent from my N152DL using RealGM mobile app
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#17 » by NebWolvesFan » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:47 pm

I'm not going to lie it would be awesome to be 20 games over .500.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Klomp » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:52 pm

winforlose wrote:I hope we bring Minott and Miller up for this one.

Doesn't look like it.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,719

Post#19 » by shrink » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:12 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Until the 2 recent ridiculous losses to Charlotte and Spurs we had been very good at taking care of business against bad teams. Not blowing them out simply beating them. Hopefully those games will just be a blip on the radar at the end of the season.

I would disagree with the definition. The Wolves have not pulled away from undermanned, under-talented teams, and have often been undisciplined in these opportunities. These teams weren’t buried early, and we have seen teams come back in the fourth quarter. We often still eke out a victory, but many of these games shouldn’t even be a risk. I think the Wolves need to take care of business in the first half.

And that’s what I want to see tonight. Get an insurmountable lead by halftime, and get the other team to concede, and play their youth. Naz calls his opponents “food,” and I hope the Wolves stop playing with their food.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Klomp » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:24 pm

shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Until the 2 recent ridiculous losses to Charlotte and Spurs we had been very good at taking care of business against bad teams. Not blowing them out simply beating them. Hopefully those games will just be a blip on the radar at the end of the season.

I would disagree with the definition. The Wolves have not pulled away from undermanned, under-talented teams, and have often been undisciplined in these opportunities. These teams weren’t buried early, and we have seen teams come back in the fourth quarter. We often still eke out a victory, but many of these games shouldn’t even be a risk. I think the Wolves need to take care of business in the first half.

And that’s what I want to see tonight. Get an insurmountable lead by halftime, and get the other team to concede, and play their youth. Naz calls his opponents “food,” and I hope the Wolves stop playing with their food.

Most teams do this with crazy offensive performances. For teams that focus more on defense, this just isn't as common.

Let's look at the 2003-04 Pistons...they went 10-1 against the three worst teams in the league, but only 6 of the games were won by 15 or more points.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves