ImageImageImage

Are the Wolves legitimate title contenders

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Re: Are the Wolves legitimate title contenders 

Post#101 » by KGdaBom » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:03 am

shrink wrote:I was surprised that we had two away/away games scheduled for POR and UTA this year. this year.

Has this happened before? Is it the league’s attempt to cut down the miles on one of the NBA’s longest travel schedule? With both visits in a three day span, it’s not optimal for fans, or for the league, if a star player is out for a few days.

MIN and POR often have the most miles each season. If MIN is moved East in expansion, inserting Seattle will help both teams.

We need to be in a division with Milwaukee, Chicago, and Detroit. That is beyond obvious.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,900

Post#102 » by Colbinii » Wed Mar 6, 2024 6:43 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
shrink wrote:I was surprised that we had two away/away games scheduled for POR and UTA this year. this year.

Has this happened before? Is it the league’s attempt to cut down the miles on one of the NBA’s longest travel schedule? With both visits in a three day span, it’s not optimal for fans, or for the league, if a star player is out for a few days.

MIN and POR often have the most miles each season. If MIN is moved East in expansion, inserting Seattle will help both teams.

We need to be in a division with Milwaukee, Chicago, and Detroit. That is beyond obvious.

Yup--this makes too much sense.

Here is what they should do, starting in 2024-2025 is 5 Divisions: [California + POR + PHX], [Texas + UTA + DEN], [Florida + MEM + NOP + ATL + CHA], [Atlantic + WSH], [Central + MIN].

This starts the transition which will happen in 2026, 2027 or 2028--whenever the expansion takes place. It makes things easier for fans as we are starting the change and helps weed out any issues this has with travel for the future.

It makes more sense for Minnesota to be East and Memphis/New Orleans to be West, even if Minnesota is more "West" than those two. Why? Because Memphis and New Orleans is adjacent to OKC and the Texas Teams while Minnesota is only adjacent to the Central Teams [Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, Indiana] and not close to Utah/Denver/OKC.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,523

Post#103 » by TimberKat » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:47 am

Colbinii wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Here is what they should do, starting in 2024-2025 is 5 Divisions: [California + POR + PHX], [Texas + UTA + DEN], [Florida + MEM + NOP + ATL + CHA], [Atlantic + WSH], [Central + MIN].

This starts the transition which will happen in 2026, 2027 or 2028--whenever the expansion takes place. It makes things easier for fans as we are starting the change and helps weed out any issues this has with travel for the future.

It makes more sense for Minnesota to be East and Memphis/New Orleans to be West, even if Minnesota is more "West" than those two. Why? Because Memphis and New Orleans is adjacent to OKC and the Texas Teams while Minnesota is only adjacent to the Central Teams [Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, Indiana] and not close to Utah/Denver/OKC.

General makes sense but how do you do playoffs with 5 divisions? Does division even have any meeting anymore in the NBA? I always just look at conference standings.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#104 » by KGdaBom » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:31 am

TimberKat wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:We need to be in a division with Milwaukee, Chicago, and Detroit. That is beyond obvious.

General makes sense but how do you do playoffs with 5 divisions? Does division even have any meeting anymore in the NBA? I always just look at conference standings.

I had no clue how the NBA was going with 5 divisions. Makes no sense.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,123

Post#105 » by m2002brian » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:32 am

KGdaBom wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Top three teams from each division and one play-in team.

Or just top 14 teams by record regardless of division and 2 play-in teams.
BLUEGREENRED
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#106 » by KGdaBom » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:36 am

m2002brian wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
TimberKat wrote:General makes sense but how do you do playoffs with 5 divisions? Does division even have any meeting anymore in the NBA? I always just look at conference standings.

Top three teams from each division and one play-in team.

Or just top 14 teams by record regardless of division and 2 play-in teams.

Do we still have an east and west? Or is that eliminated?
That would just seem wrong to me. Add the 2 teams and have 8 4 team divisions 4 western and 4 eastern divisions.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#107 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:06 am

TimberKat wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:We need to be in a division with Milwaukee, Chicago, and Detroit. That is beyond obvious.

The point of Divisions is to make it so there is less travel.

You still keep your same Conferences.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#108 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:07 am

KGdaBom wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

It is for Travel Purposes. You still have 2 Conferences but the Divisions don't need to make up the Conferences.

I get it, it's always been like that! But, there is no reason the Divisions need to represent the Conferences.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#109 » by KGdaBom » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:20 am

Colbinii wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
TimberKat wrote:General makes sense but how do you do playoffs with 5 divisions? Does division even have any meeting anymore in the NBA? I always just look at conference standings.

It is for Travel Purposes. You still have 2 Conferences but the Divisions don't need to make up the Conferences.

I get it, it's always been like that! But, there is no reason the Divisions need to represent the Conferences.

So the Divisions aren't affiliated with the conferences. Seems very strange.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#110 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:25 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I had no clue how the NBA was going with 5 divisions. Makes no sense.

Sure. A Play-IN or In Season Tournament would have been strange 5 years ago too.

7 Games in the 1st round of the Playoffs was strange.

How else to you think they should fix travel?

People say "Timberwolves travel too much, change Divisions". Okay. How are you doing that? Have you looked at a map?

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#111 » by KGdaBom » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:42 am

Colbinii wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Sure. A Play-IN or In Season Tournament would have been strange 5 years ago too.

People say "Timberwolves travel too much, change Divisions". Okay. How are you doing that? Have you looked at a map?

No. I didn't look at a map. I didn't need to look at a map to know that Milwaukee, Detroit and Chicago are the teams that make the most sense to share a division with the Wolves. I'm the one who brought that up.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#112 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:48 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:So the Divisions aren't affiliated with the conferences. Seems very strange.

No. I didn't look at a map. I didn't need to look at a map to know that Milwaukee, Detroit and Chicago are the teams that make the most sense to share a division with the Wolves. I'm the one who brought that up.

Right--so what happens with Indiana and Cleveland? What Division do they go to?

Did you even think about that?

Or how do you split up Memphis/New Orleans with the 3 Texas Teams and Florida?

And what happens to our old Division? Did you think about that?

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#113 » by KGdaBom » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:50 am

Colbinii wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Right--so what happens with Indiana and Cleveland? What Division do they go to?

Did you even think about that?

Or how do you split up Memphis/New Orleans with the 3 Texas Teams and Florida?

And what happens to our old Division? Did you think about that?

Nope. I didn't think about any of those things. I'm just looking at what makes the best sense for the Wolves. I'll leave it up to the NBA brass to figure out the other 7 divisions. My reasoning is that the math works real well for 8 4 team divisions with 4 in the west and 4 in the east. 32 teams half make the playoffs.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,523

Post#114 » by TimberKat » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:02 pm

We can close this thread down - really sucks with Towns injury :banghead:
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,477

Post#115 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:44 pm

TimberKat wrote:We can close this thread down - really sucks with Towns injury :banghead:

1. We don’t know how much time Karl will miss.

2. We don’t know that Naz cannot replace Karl’s scoring and defense in the short term. Especially in non playoff settings against beatable teams like LAL and the Jazz.

3. Jaden has been wanting a bigger offensive role. NAW has been showing he can handle more of an offensive role. Mike has been saying he needs to get more aggressive in hunting his shot. Monte Morris despite struggling with his shot is still shooting 36% from deep in a Wolves uniform. Our offense isn’t doomed.

4. We have depth for a reason. We can survive this in the short term. We need Karl back and mostly healthy come playoff time.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#116 » by KGdaBom » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:02 pm

winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:We can close this thread down - really sucks with Towns injury :banghead:

2. We don’t know that Naz cannot replace Karl’s scoring and defense in the short term. Especially in non playoff settings against beatable teams like LAL and the Jazz.

3. Jaden has been wanting a bigger offensive role. NAW has been showing he can handle more of an offensive role. Mike has been saying he needs to get more aggressive in hunting his shot. Monte Morris despite struggling with his shot is still shooting 36% from deep in a Wolves uniform. Our offense isn’t doomed.

4. We have depth for a reason. We can survive this in the short term. We need Karl back and mostly healthy come playoff time.

If Shams is right KAT is most likely done for the season. If Woj is right there is much reason for hope. Fingers crossed.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,729

Post#117 » by Shaka_Zulu » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:13 pm

winforlose wrote:

If he is out indefinitely and out for the season, then our season is over.

Our offense can't survive without him, it was barely hanging on a tread as is, will get tougher and uglier. Now they will just double and triple team Ant in playoffs. Only other volume scorer is Naz and he is used to coming off bench.

Can't rely on any of the others to consistently score good numbers. Mainly good role players and defensive specialists who score spot numbers at times.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,477

Post#118 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:19 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:
winforlose wrote:

If he is out indefinitely and out for the season, then our season is over.

Our offense can't survive without him, it was barely hanging on a tread as is, will get tougher and uglier. Now they will just double and triple team Ant in playoffs. Only other volume scorer is Naz and he is used to coming off bench.

Can't rely on any of the others to consistently score good numbers. Mainly good role players and defensive specialists who score spot numbers at times.

I hear you, I just don’t know that I agree with you. Karl definitely makes things easier and he definitely is important to every aspect of what we do. But Naz Reid is a starter level 4/5 in the NBA. His shooting percentages are great, and he excels with extra minutes. Jaden McDaniels is going to be a 20+ PPG in this league. I think he might even be this season if Finch makes a point to give Jaden, Karl’s slice of the offensive pie. Mike can run pick and role until Rudy puts a hole in the net. We are built for this kind of injury. What we cannot survive is losing another rotation player.
Sealab2024
Sophomore
And1: 364

Post#119 » by Sealab2024 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:47 pm

Someday this will be part of the Anthony Edwards lore. This actually streamlines the offense a bunch. Ball goes through Ant now, period. The big question is whether Naz can do enough on defense to keep teams from hunting Rudy on the perimeter. Beforehand you often had KAT behind him covering the basket. Can Reid do the same in starters minutes? I honestly think he can.

Where this really hurts is the bench.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,123

Post#120 » by m2002brian » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:49 pm

Sealab2024 wrote:Someday this will be part of the Anthony Edwards lore. This actually streamlines the offense a bunch. Ball goes through Ant now, period. The big question is whether Naz can do enough on defense to keep teams from hunting Rudy on the perimeter. Beforehand you often had KAT behind him covering the basket. Can Reid do the same in starters minutes? I honestly think he can.

Where this really hurts is the bench.

Tj Warren and Leonard Miller have entered the chat.
BLUEGREENRED

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves