Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Re: Are the Wolves legitimate title contenders 

Post#41 » by shangrila » Sat Feb 3, 2024 3:57 am

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
FrenchMinnyFan wrote:I'm not sure we are a top 4 team as there is many good teams right now but the most important thing for me is that most of the outcome depends on us. When we are focus ( it means when KAT and ANT and JMD are), we avoid TO, bad shoot, stupid fouls. As our defense is really the best one, we can beat anybody. And we got Mike which is one of the better clutch man in the NBA,
The point is sometimes we loose our focus and it's very costly specially on 4th quarter. ANT want to be the hero, KAT loose focus and complain devery decision and we become a average team.
Time will tell but i'm optimistic this team can stay focus during PO times and give great battles. After if the planet aligned....

That was all a bit convoluted and not a committed statement, but I'm putting you in the yes column.

My answer was not crystal clear. My answer is no, this team is not mature enough to win 16 games and remain focus all PO.

Agreed, at least combined with the offensive issues.

And realistically...this is fair. Guys like Edwards and McDaniels making mistakes like they have is expected given their age.
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#42 » by MN7725 » Sat Feb 3, 2024 3:59 am

Wolves have had good health, so that has bumped up their record somewhat
they remind me a bit of Cleveland team last year that was #1 defense pretty much all year
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#43 » by younggunsmn » Sat Feb 3, 2024 4:21 am

Absolutely definitively NO.

The only reason we could possibly be considered contenders is the lack of elite teams in the western conference and the fact that so many of the stars in the west are on the wrong side of 30.

This team just does so many things that are the trademark of losers.
We are one of the most immature and least composed teams in the league.
Live ball turnovers, whining for foul calls, giving up dunks off of made baskets, overdribbling.
Can't hold 17 point leads for even half a quarter.
Add that to the complete lack of structure on offense, so much so that it looks like some kind of quantum mechanics randomness experiment most of the time.

Two incredibly talented players who have no idea what a winning play looks like.

A beta coach, afraid to hold his players accountable, stuck on his system and completely unwilling to consider that his system and its lack of organization and structure, and the egalitarian nature of his system which funnels shot attempts away from the most talented players, is a big part of the problem, along with his bad rotations and refusal to pull guys who are struggling or making bad plays.

Father time is catching up to old man Mike.
Jaden McDaniels has gone from valuable young asset to a bad contract who shouldn't be on the floor at the end of games because you can't trust him with the ball or to not make a dumb foul.
Anthony Edwards has taken a huge step back both on and off the court this year with his maturity.
His whining and selfishness is becoming almost as big a meme as KAT's.

This iteration of the Wolves has peaked.

We are meat for whatever team we face in the first round, whoever that is of the 10-11 teams currently behind us.
We might stand a small chance if we lucked into Utah or Houston, every other team will completely roast us when the bright lights come on.
That's if we even get there and don't drop the ~7 games in the standings it would take to fall into the play in.

I thought I'd take a couple of weeks off and cool down after that brutally awful Hornets loss.
I think I'm just going to have to stop following for good.
I have better and more important things to spend my time and energy on.
It's pretty clear after tonight's game things are just going to keep getting worse from here on out.

It's always been harder for me to follow teams that I expect to do well, the disappointment is magnified.
I think I just expected way too much from this team, and ~15 wins against teams that weren't even trying and resting their best players has inflated those expectations.

What's the new slang all the young whippersnappers are using? Mid?
This team is the definition of "mid".

I don't begrudge the rest of you your enthusiasm in following the Wolves, as a guy with a young family I have better things I should be spending my time and energy on.

Maybe in June I will peek back in when it is time to trade KAT and make the last first round pick of ours that we actually have control over until 2028 rolls around.
Loaf_of_bread
Junior
And1: 147

Post#44 » by Loaf_of_bread » Sat Feb 3, 2024 4:40 am

younggunsmn wrote:Absolutely definitively NO.

The only reason we could possibly be considered contenders is the lack of elite teams in the western conference and the fact that so many of the stars in the west are on the wrong side of 30.

Live ball turnovers, whining for foul calls, giving up dunks off of made baskets, overdribbling.
Add that to the complete lack of structure on offense, so much so that it looks like some kind of quantum mechanics randomness experiment most of the time.

Two incredibly talented players who have no idea what a winning play looks like.

A beta coach, afraid to hold his players accountable, stuck on his system and completely unwilling to consider that his system and its lack of organization and structure, and the egalitarian nature of his system which funnels shot attempts away from the most talented players, is a big part of the problem, along with his bad rotations and refusal to pull guys who are struggling or making bad plays.

Jaden McDaniels has gone from valuable young asset to a bad contract who shouldn't be on the floor at the end of games because you can't trust him with the ball or to not make a dumb foul.
Anthony Edwards has taken a huge step back both on and off the court this year with his maturity.

We are meat for whatever team we face in the first round, whoever that is of the 10-11 teams currently behind us.
We might stand a small chance if we lucked into Utah or Houston, every other team will completely roast us when the bright lights come on.
That's if we even get there and don't drop the ~7 games in the standings it would take to fall into the play in.

I thought I'd take a couple of weeks off and cool down after that brutally awful Hornets loss.
It's pretty clear after tonight's game things are just going to keep getting worse from here on out.

It's always been harder for me to follow teams that I expect to do well, the disappointment is magnified.
I think I just expected way too much from this team, and ~15 wins against teams that weren't even trying and resting their best players has inflated those expectations.

I don't begrudge the rest of you your enthusiasm in following the Wolves, as a guy with a young family I have better things I should be spending my time and energy on.

Maybe in June I will peek back in when it is time to trade KAT and make the last first round pick of ours that we actually have control over until 2028 rolls around.

Preach. Someone with a voice of reason around here.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#45 » by KGdaBom » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:11 am

Loaf_of_bread wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:Absolutely definitively NO.

Preach. Someone with a voice of reason around here.

:lol: :lol: :lol: LMAO. What can I say. Best record in the west, but according to this doom and gloomer we're certain to lose in the first round if we somehow manage to make the playoffs.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,474

Post#46 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:20 am

We went from 30-11 (on track for 60 wins,) to 34-15. It doesn’t change the season outlook, but it makes me sad. Limping toward the ASB.
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 414

Post#47 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Sat Feb 3, 2024 8:20 am

Overreacting is a normal thing for fan. I always try to remain calm both ways as i have much more important things in life than following basketball. It's just a hobby and my moud is not affect by that. As i say before, for me the minimal target if semil final conf, if we lucky WCF will be top. No chance we win this year. I think we make a try and once we failed, will be time to part ways with KAT, probably Mike too.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,519

Post#48 » by TimberKat » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:02 pm

Until we can solve the offense issues - raise the avg to top 15 or score 24+ points regularly in the 4th qtr. This team isn't going anywhere.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,437

Post#49 » by Calinks » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:42 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Calinks wrote:For me right now there are only a handful of teams I can feel confident in as far as winning the title. In order.

1. Denver (Last year they were just far and away above everyone else at execution)
2. Boston (They look incredible this year, little to no weaknesses)
3. Clippers (I didn't believe in them before but they have proven to be really good and seem strong all over)

Those are really the only three I feel very confident about. After them, I would say these other teams have a shot.

4. Bucks (Too much top end talent and they have been there before)

5. 76ers (I don't have too much faith but they have been dominant this year, consistently they destroy lesser competition, Embiid is next level right now)

I think I slide the Wolves in next at 6. On paper and with how they have played this season when they are at their best, I would say they are good enough to slot in right behind Boston at number 3. That said, we have too much negative history, too little experience, and too many warts I deem catastrophically detrimental to winning a championship.

I just can't see us turning around our offense enough, see Towns not make a ton of costly mistakes (fall to the floor, rack up fouls, stray voltage), Ant not turn the ball over and get tunnel vision in some big time moments, or some teams beating us with some hot shooting and speed that exploits our bigs for enough games to win a series.

I just think we have too many holes right now to good enough to win it all. I could see it happening in a season or two if the team could stay together and continue to grow and improve but I don't think they can iron all of that out in the little time we have.

I would normally consider top 6 as being a contender, but based on your narrative you consider us to have about 0.1% chance. I think you suffer the same malady as a lot of Wolves fans. You know our team too well so your know our faults and don't consider us good enough. The other teams have as many and usually more faults than we do. Boston just lost by 9 at home to the Lakers playing without Bron or Brow. You think they don't have weaknesses?

I think the other teams have weaknesses but I think ours are glaring. I think the NBA game is heavily biased in favor of wing players and guards so I also give teams who have stars in those positions an edge over us who has most of our star power tied up in bigs. So even if a team like Boston or the Clippers has some issues that can cost them games, I think their stars have a better shot of bailing the team out anyway because they have players like Brown, Tatum, George, Leonard, and even Westbrook, who can easily turn the tide by just getting hot or getting a bunch of easy trips to the line, etc.

We don't really have that outside of Ant. Sure Towns can get going but it rarely happens and its harder for bigs to do that in the playoffs. The other reason I give a lot of these other teams the edge is because their players have more big game experience and success there. The Wolves finally do have some experience now. Our new vets have a ton and KAT and Ant have had two playoff series in the last two years. That helps.

That said we all know KAT's playoff performances has been very spotty. I can't be ultra-confident he will overcome that.

We just have too many knocks against us in my eyes, currently, for me to be very comfortable with this team possibly winning a title this season. If we can clean up some of our issues my thoughts will change. Mostly I need our offense to be better. Me ranking them 6th isn't a bad thing either, it's a damn good team. I just don't think they are good enough to win the title right now but yes, they do have a chance.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
nzd07
Junior
And1: 300

Post#50 » by nzd07 » Sat Feb 3, 2024 8:22 pm

We're one of those "Almost good enough" teams right now. I think a trade for Tyus at the deadline solves a lot of our problems. It just makes too much sense. Make it happen, Connely!
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,544

Post#51 » by WolfAddict » Sun Feb 4, 2024 11:13 pm

Loaf_of_bread wrote:This team will never win a championship as long as karl anthony towns is on the roster.

Jesus bro... Did KAT **** in your weetbix or something?
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#52 » by KGdaBom » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:19 am

WolfAddict wrote:
Loaf_of_bread wrote:This team will never win a championship as long as karl anthony towns is on the roster.

Agreed. What a bunch of BS from Loaf. If we win a championship it will be because we have KAT.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,474

Post#53 » by winforlose » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:22 am

KGdaBom wrote:
WolfAddict wrote:

Agreed. What a bunch of BS from Loaf. If we win a championship it will be because we have KAT.

A bad KAT game can easily be a double double or 7 points 10 boards. Karl is a great passer, has a ton of offensive gravity, defends multiple positions, and never beefs with anyone. I say you are 100% correct.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Post#54 » by gandlogo » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:25 am

WolfAddict wrote:

This post had me googling weetbix. Everyday is a school day.
WolfAddict
Rookie

Post#55 » by WolfAddict » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:28 am

gandlogo wrote:
WolfAddict wrote:

Ha ha ha good point brother - Didn't think of that when making the reference
gandlogo
Junior

Post#56 » by gandlogo » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:32 am

WolfAddict wrote:
gandlogo wrote:
WolfAddict wrote:Jesus bro... Did KAT **** in your weetbix or something?

I’m a huge fan of obscure/different point of view references that make me (many of us) learn. The older I get the more I realize I need to learn more.
WolfAddict
Rookie

Post#57 » by WolfAddict » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:38 am

gandlogo wrote:
WolfAddict wrote:
gandlogo wrote:

I’m a huge fan of obscure/different point of view references that make me (many of us) learn. The older I get the more I realize I need to learn more.

One of my many vices (to the annoyance of the wife) is to hear some bit of trivia then deep diving into research about it.

We had an exhibition here in Aus about Ramses II, and I spent 2 weeks before it downloading uni lectures about him so I could point out obscure facts about the artifacts to strangers in the museum... lol
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#58 » by MN7725 » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:43 am

they have a clear path
1) Jaden becoming consistent half court, which he has done for stretches in his career, so its a decent possibility
2) ANT being better decision maker

that's easier than most teams, its not like they need someone to go from being a 30% 3pt shooter to a 38% 3pt shooter, or not be a defensive liability
gandlogo
Junior

Post#59 » by gandlogo » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:46 am

WolfAddict wrote:
gandlogo wrote:
WolfAddict wrote:Ha ha ha good point brother - Didn't think of that when making the reference

One of my many vices (to the annoyance of the wife) is to hear some bit of trivia then deep diving into research about it.

We had an exhibition here in Aus about Ramses II, and I spent 2 weeks before it downloading uni lectures about him so I could point out obscure facts about the artifacts to strangers in the museum... lol

What brought you to the Wolves? It’s easy to identify for us that grew up or are currently in Minnesota, but I’m always curious about others, especially from so far away.
WolfAddict
Rookie

Post#60 » by WolfAddict » Mon Feb 5, 2024 2:55 am

gandlogo wrote:
WolfAddict wrote:
gandlogo wrote:

What brought you to the Wolves? It’s easy to identify for us that grew up or are currently in Minnesota, but I’m always curious about others, especially from so far away.

To be honest brother, I was a casual BBall fan in the late 80's and early 90's who didn't have a team that I followed (loved the Bulls but only because of Jordan, and Magic when Shaq arrived) but after I watched the 94 dunk contest I absolutely fell in love with IR and the Wolves. Since then, lived, breathed and bled TWolves (although my all time favourite player went from IR to Rubio over the years)

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves