Are the Wolves legitimate title contenders

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,518

Re: Are the Wolves legitimate title contenders 

Post#81 » by TimberKat » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:45 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
FrenchMinnyFan wrote:Did not change my mind. We are good but but as good as Denver of Clippers if healthy. As i say before, Semi Final Conference is the minimum, i will be delighted if we make the WCF. And of course get the title next year :)

Why not get the title this year?

Because Towns may go into meltdown mode and we are relying on a 22yr old that doesn't have the game maturity as a top 10 player yet. In addition, we haven't found a 3rd reliable shot creator. Vegas thinks we have the 8th best odd of winning the title and that looks about right. A lot of things has to break the Wolves way for it to happen such as Towns finding his inner pace, Naz finds his footing, JMcD finds his shots, and Ant finds the open man.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#82 » by KGdaBom » Sun Mar 3, 2024 12:42 am

TimberKat wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
FrenchMinnyFan wrote:Did not change my mind. We are good but but as good as Denver of Clippers if healthy. As i say before, Semi Final Conference is the minimum, i will be delighted if we make the WCF. And of course get the title next year :)

Because Towns may go into meltdown mode and we are relying on a 22yr old that doesn't have the game maturity as a top 10 player yet. In addition, we haven't found a 3rd reliable shot creator. Vegas thinks we have the 8th best odd of winning the title and that looks about right. A lot of things has to break the Wolves way for it to happen such as Towns finding his inner pace, Naz finds his footing, JMcD finds his shots, and Ant finds the open man.

Every team has their problems. We just know ours better than theirs.
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 414

Post#83 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:49 am

KGdaBom wrote:

We not ready yet. ANT probably need another 1 or 2 more babies :)
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#84 » by KGdaBom » Sun Mar 3, 2024 2:00 am

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Why not get it anyway? I prefer us winning the title to somebody else.
FrenchMinnyFan
Senior
And1: 414

Post#85 » by FrenchMinnyFan » Sun Mar 3, 2024 6:35 am

KGdaBom wrote:
FrenchMinnyFan wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Why not get the title this year?

Why not get it anyway? I prefer us winning the title to somebody else.

As i say. i think KAT flaws, TO at crutch time, Rudy weakness if not 100%, Mike age... will kiss us one moment or another. But i will be so happy to be wrong. West is really good. I look today at Denver kicking a.. of Lakers and they start to look as strong as last year. Just think the step still too high right now.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#86 » by younggunsmn » Sun Mar 3, 2024 11:34 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
frankenwolf wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Most people say the Pels. I actually happen to disagree. We lost both games against Zion. One of them was a referee game where they shot 40-16 free throws in competitive minutes. I don’t see that happening in a 1-8 or 2-7 playoff game. The other game was a massive power outage for the Wolves. We shot 45% from the field and 32% from deep. Karl went 8-19 that night and Mike Conley only played 25 minutes and change. JMAC filled in 17:22 the rest and had his worst game of the season going 0-4 when wide open from deep and finishing 1-6 for the game. Mike was 1-3 from deep, 3-5 from the field and had 7 points. Anyway, we can and will raise our game for the playoffs, and the whistles won’t be as free flowing, so do I want the Pels, not especially, do I fear them, not especially.

The Suns have scoring power, but they lack depth. In the playoffs you don’t need as much depth, and the Suns are therefore more dangerous. That said, they need to stay healthy and that has proven problematic for them.

The Kings and Mavs are both favorable matchups for us. Luka is scary but even with him dropping 40 we can still win.

Just to be upfront about this, I am still predicting the Wolves to win it all this year, but, if the NBA is looking for "headline" games/series, they may very well promote a Pels upsetting the Wolves, which would, of course, include the reffing. I think we should win every 7 game series, however.... What does Adam Silver want??

If you think it works that way, I'm not sure why you even watch.

The average O-rating has jumped from 105 to 115 since Silver took over.
That has everything to do with how the game is refereed and those directions all come from Silver.
They used covid as an excuse to push out many of the old guard guys like Ken Mauer too and replaced them with new people a lot less likely to go off script.

If the NBA is a corporation, think of the referees out there as upper management, Brand Managers out there guiding the product to maximize profit.

They can make an average player look good, a good player look great, and a great player look like a fool all with the power of their whistle. And they do. Sometime subtly and other times very overtly.
They can and do tilt the playing field to suit the narrative and the markets with the most money.

They can and do spot a team 20 points with just marginal calls and "marginal contact".
Look at the garbage today where they took 5 points from Naz and we lost by one.

Unfortunately we are in a market where in a normal year, when the team is average or worse, there are games where there are fewer people watching on TV than there are seats in the arena.

Winning a title in a small market in pro sports is like an anti-establishment politician trying to win a modern election.
You have to have an absolute superstar to market, and you have to win so big that it's outside the margin of cheating.

If the league wanted to, they could easily make Ant or KAT the face of the league just by flipping around the way they are officiated.
Newsflash: the league has no interest in that, and that isn't going to change any time soon.
And we are far from the first sports market to experience that.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#87 » by younggunsmn » Sun Mar 3, 2024 11:50 pm

The Minnesota Timberwolves most dangerous opponent in the playoffs is..... wait for it....
The Minnesota Timberwolves.

We have more than enough talent on both sides of the ball to beat any team (including the Celtics) in a 7 game series.
But our greatest opponent is ourselves and it will be our undoing.
We would have had a 5 game home losing steak if 2 of those teams weren't actively trying to lose.

Our best 2 players are addicted to taking bad shots and are constantly turning the ball over in traffic.
They don't know how to get to the line or get a good shot in crunch time, keep making the same mistakes against the same loaded up defense.

And our coach is beyond clueless. Malik Monk is on a heater cooking Towns and Gobert in pick action from the perimeter.
His solution is to put a 37 year old and 4 guys 6'10 or taller out there to finish the game and OT.

We are down 1 with 35 seconds left. Instead of calling a timeout and going for the 2 for 1, he lets it play out so we are forced to foul.
Then with 13 seconds left down 3, he has Kyle Anderson and Rudy Gobert out there allowing the defense to play 5 on 3.
Leaving 3 rotation players shooting 37% or better from 3 on the bench.

It doesn't matter who we play in the first round.
Any of the 9 possible opponents will beat us the way we have been playing for months now.
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#88 » by MN7725 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:34 am

younggunsmn wrote:The Minnesota Timberwolves most dangerous opponent in the playoffs is..... wait for it....
The Minnesota Timberwolves.

We have more than enough talent on both sides of the ball to beat any team (including the Celtics) in a 7 game series.
But our greatest opponent is ourselves and it will be our undoing.
We would have had a 5 game home losing steak if 2 of those teams weren't actively trying to lose.

Our best 2 players are addicted to taking bad shots and are constantly turning the ball over in traffic.
They don't know how to get to the line or get a good shot in crunch time, keep making the same mistakes against the same loaded up defense.

And our coach is beyond clueless. Malik Monk is on a heater cooking Towns and Gobert in pick action from the perimeter.
His solution is to put a 37 year old and 4 guys 6'10 or taller out there to finish the game and OT.

We are down 1 with 35 seconds left. Instead of calling a timeout and going for the 2 for 1, he lets it play out so we are forced to foul.
Then with 13 seconds left down 3, he has Kyle Anderson and Rudy Gobert out there allowing the defense to play 5 on 3.
Leaving 3 rotation players shooting 37% or better from 3 on the bench.

It doesn't matter who we play in the first round.
Any of the 9 possible opponents will beat us the way we have been playing for months now.

I think you're way underrating shot creation, which is typically what carries teams in playoffs
Wolves are lacking in that, despite whatever else their players are good at

but playoff series typically devolve into hero ball, half-court grind, so having players skilled at transition, screen/rolling, catch/shoot, etc tend to lose importance
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,718

Post#89 » by Shaka_Zulu » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:27 am

Hell no we ain't.
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#90 » by TimberKat » Tue Mar 5, 2024 6:48 pm

The next six game road trip is going to be a rough ride and maybe make or break the season. Starting off with 4th set of back-to-back in two weeks at IND/CLE then LAL, LAC. Finally, end with a pair at UTA. UTA would normally be easy but not after a long road trip. A 4-2 record would be great but 3-3 or even 2-4 is not out of the question. If we go 5-1 then we could put this thread to rest.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,474

Post#91 » by winforlose » Tue Mar 5, 2024 6:53 pm

TimberKat wrote:The next six game road trip is going to be a rough ride and maybe make or break the season. Starting off with 4th set of back-to-back in two weeks at IND/CLE then LAL, LAC. Finally, end with a pair at UTA. UTA would normally be easy but not after a long road trip.

No Donovan Mitchell for Cleveland will help. We win both the Utah games and we pretty much secure the OKC tie breaker (still gotta beat Denver in 1 of 3.) LAC is a favorable matchup for us. LAL is a referee trap that I expect us to win. Indy is a game that could be tough. We tend to be slow starting after two days off, and they are a fast pace high scoring team. They are also a lot better since the last time we saw them. Cleveland without DM is still dangerous and we will have tired legs for that one. I am predicting a loss to the Cavs and a win on the other 5. We cannot afford to go 3-3 or worse, 4-2 might cost us the #1 seed, but anything worse probably does.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,168

Post#92 » by _AIJ_ » Tue Mar 5, 2024 8:07 pm

I would not be surprised if we win it all. This team is just way better than most of us think.
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,742

Post#93 » by shrink » Tue Mar 5, 2024 8:48 pm

We get to play Denver three more times. Those games could be epic, and will tell a lot about our team.

Btw, I think we’re the team DEN doesn’t want to face. I wrote this elsewhere, in a “Nobody can beat DEN” thread.

shrink wrote:DEN is certainly better, but they said that MIN gave them the most trouble in last year’s playoffs, and that was without McDaniels and Naz Reid.

Why? MIN seems built to take away the advantages that DEN has on other teams (not surprising, since the same GM built both).

- DEN has bigs at SF, PF and C, but MIN is even bigger, and has even more quality bigs off the bench.

- DEN has Jokic, which nobody stops, but Towns has strangely been okay with his length. That leaves Gobert to patrol the paint.

- DEN has a third big advantage with Jamaal Murray, but the Wolves have very good perimeter defenders in McDaniels and Ant.

- DEN will use Aaron Gordon to defend Towns, and hope to get help. But they don’t have a great Ant-stopper any more.

Again, I’m not saying MIN is better than DEN. They aren’t, and they haven’t proven anything. But the Wolves have beaten DEN in 6 of their last 8 regular season meetings, so I don’t think DEN is unbeatable.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#94 » by KGdaBom » Tue Mar 5, 2024 8:51 pm

shrink wrote:We get to play Denver three more times. Those games could be epic, and will tell a lot about our team.

I'm not asking for a sweep. Just win 2 out of 3. :D
shrink
RealGM

Post#95 » by shrink » Tue Mar 5, 2024 8:53 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
shrink wrote:We get to play Denver three more times. Those games could be epic, and will tell a lot about our team.

I agree. Save the sweep for the playoffs.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#96 » by KGdaBom » Tue Mar 5, 2024 8:55 pm

shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I agree. Save the sweep for the playoffs.

what's the road home split on those 3? do you know?
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#97 » by TimberKat » Tue Mar 5, 2024 9:25 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:I would not be surprised if we win it all. This team is just way better than most of us think.

That is not green text :D I think even the Celtics, or 95 Bulls, or 2015 Warriors would have a hard time going 6-0 on this road trip. We should ask Steve Kerr :D
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 212

Post#98 » by frankenwolf » Tue Mar 5, 2024 9:48 pm

TimberKat wrote:
_AIJ_ wrote:I would not be surprised if we win it all. This team is just way better than most of us think.

That is not green text :D I think even the Celtics, or 95 Bulls, or 2015 Warriors would have a hard time going 6-0 on this road trip. We should ask Steve Kerr :D

I took it as he was answering the question of the topic, not commenting on the upcoming road trip.
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#99 » by TimberKat » Wed Mar 6, 2024 1:31 am

frankenwolf wrote:
TimberKat wrote:

I took it as he was answering the question of the topic, not commenting on the upcoming road trip.

Also some context for people anyone who doesn't follow NBA closely. Kerr was on the Bulls team, coached the 2015 Warriors, and his current Warriors team just lost to the Celtics by like 50 pts.
shrink
RealGM

Post#100 » by shrink » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:30 am

I was surprised that we had two away/away games scheduled for POR and UTA this year. this year.

Has this happened before? Is it the league’s attempt to cut down the miles on one of the NBA’s longest travel schedule? With both visits in a three day span, it’s not optimal for fans, or for the league, if a star player is out for a few days.

MIN and POR often have the most miles each season. If MIN is moved East in expansion, inserting Seattle will help both teams.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves