The Official Monte Morris thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,718

Re: The Official Monte Morris thread 

Post#21 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:31 pm

m2002brian wrote:

Hopefully Monte can come in and act as kind of a hand warmer for the all guys.

KGdaBom wrote:I love it :lol: , but if it's all the guys you can't isolate on one hand to feed. :oops:
The hands that don't get fed will turn into cold hands.

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#22 » by KGdaBom » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:38 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:
m2002brian wrote:

Hopefully Monte can come in and act as kind of a hand warmer for the all guys.

KGdaBom wrote:I love it :lol: , but if it's all the guys you can't isolate on one hand to feed. :oops:
The hands that don't get fed will turn into cold hands.

Thank you. This made me laugh.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#23 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:20 am

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,474

Post#24 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:49 am

Interesting that they are putting Monte in the corner and having Kyle on ball during their shared minutes. When Kyle is off the floor he and Mike split the responsibilities on ball but Monte is still playing more in the corner.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#25 » by KGdaBom » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:00 pm

All NBA podcast with Tim Legler went deep into last nights game and loved the Monte Morris addition to the Wolves. 25 Minutes of Wolves talk right from the start of the broadcast.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#26 » by winforlose » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:38 pm

So two things to mention.

1. We saw twice that Finch was willing to play Monte with Mike. This is a classic Chris Finch move, going back to Dlo and JMAC in the early days of Finch, and is still going strong.

2. We saw a lot of Monte and Kyle. The thing to watch with that pairing is so far Kyle played more on ball, and Monte more off ball. Some people think it might be a short term thing while Monte learns the offense, I hope it isn’t. Monte is an excellent catch and shoot 3 point shooter, and Kyle is better on ball than off, (especially if Kyle is in the corner when off ball.) Morris might have given Finch both that smart no turnovers PG and that shooter who can get up 4-5 open 3s per game.

P.S does anyone know Monte’s 3 point shooting sweet spots? Is he a corner guy, an above the break guy, or somewhere in between?
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,260

Post#27 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:43 pm

Monte is terrific off the ball, as well as on:

Read on Twitter

;ab_channel=HowlsAndGrowls
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:53 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#29 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:09 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Harden shook him, but he was tenacious and got back in the play. Good job.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#30 » by minimus » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:44 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Two notes from two Monte games. First, he has being definitely target by opponent more athletic and physical guards. Second, we knew that Monte is similar to Conley archetype in offense: takes care of the ball, creative and decisive passer, excellent shooter. But, what we did NOT know, is that Monte is copy&cut from Conley in defense: he is not most athletic, most physical, but he gives 100% effort despite being out of shape. Above two hustle plays that are IMO impressive.

I find it ridiculous that after DLo, Nowell, Forbes and Milton we have now Conley, NAW and Morris...
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#31 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:43 am

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Two notes from two Monte games. First, he has being definitely target by opponent more athletic and physical guards. Second, we knew that Monte is similar to Conley archetype in offense: takes care of the ball, creative and decisive passer, excellent shooter. But, what we did NOT know, is that Monte is copy&cut from Conley in defense: he is not most athletic, most physical, but he gives 100% effort despite being out of shape. Above two hustle plays that are IMO impressive.

I find it ridiculous that after DLo, Nowell, Forbes and Milton we have now Conley, NAW and Morris...

He has Tenacious D. :D
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#32 » by shangrila » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:26 pm

minimus wrote:

Competent guard play and interior defence/rebounding are the bookends of an effective NBA team. It's crazy how long it's taken us to get both at the same time.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:31 am

Read on Twitter

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,735

Post#34 » by shrink » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:55 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well, once he gets to know his teammates, we can expect his turnovers to drop.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#35 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:35 am

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well, once he gets to know his teammates, we can expect his turnovers to drop.

LOL, his assists will also go up. Given that 1 is the denominator, the rise will be exponential.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,884

Post#36 » by life_saver » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:14 pm

I really like the bounce pass assist he had to Ant

Read on Twitter
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,897

Post#37 » by Colbinii » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:46 pm

Monte Morris is so good. I am so glad we were able to acquire him without giving up actual valuable asset(s).

His +/- numbers are excellent [always have been his entire career], he is so savvy and crafty yet under complete control. He understands where to be on the court on both ends, which has allowed him to come in and fit in seamlessly [The 1st game was the only awkward game]. Finch is able to play around with line-ups and is falling in love with the Morris/Conley/ANT/Reid/KAT or Gobert line-ups, specifically the Conley/Morris pairing when teams don't have the personnel to attack the lack of size.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,518

Post#38 » by TimberKat » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:02 pm

Colbinii wrote:Monte Morris is so good. I am so glad we were able to acquire him without giving up actual valuable asset(s).

His +/- numbers are excellent [always have been his entire career], he is so savvy and crafty yet under complete control. He understands where to be on the court on both ends, which has allowed him to come in and fit in seamlessly [The 1st game was the only awkward game]. Finch is able to play around with line-ups and is falling in love with the Morris/Conley/ANT/Reid/KAT or Gobert line-ups, specifically the Conley/Morris pairing when teams don't have the personnel to attack the lack of size.

With Finch's triangle offense without the triangle, we need as many pg as possible. Look for a line up coming soon of JMcl, Conley, Morris, Towns and Gobert :lol:
winforlose
General Manager

Post#39 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:14 pm

TimberKat wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Monte Morris is so good. I am so glad we were able to acquire him without giving up actual valuable asset(s).

With Finch's triangle offense without the triangle, we need as many pg as possible. Look for a line up coming soon of JMcl, Conley, Morris, Towns and Gobert :lol:

Sub NAW for JMAC and we have seen it before.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:25 pm

I feel like we will be able to probably sign him for under an MLE amount this summer, which will be another absolute bargain. Most GMs aren't closely monitoring other teams as they play, and his 6 ppg/3 apg doesn't pop off the page to other teams looking to dip into cap space. I'm predicting $7-9M AAV, which will lock up the full PG rotation for $20M AAV at most going forward.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves