ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,200

Re: Trade Talk (Part 15): Trade Deadline Day (and onwards!) 

Post#281 » by Neeva » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

Houston’s been so much better without Sengun. He does not mesh at all with Green. I am starting to wonder if Wolves can steal him.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,711

Post#282 » by Shaka_Zulu » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

You mean Green? He is about to be eligible for max contract, and we don't really need him with Ant here, he is in hot streak now but not sure a max contract for one way track mind scoring SG is the way to go for our already capped out team.

It's Nets that should rue the missed opportunity when they declined 1st round picks and Green for Mikal Bridges.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#283 » by Neeva » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am

No I meant Sengun.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,889

Post#284 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

Neeva wrote:No I meant Sengun.

Why would the Wolves want to steal an Offensive-slanted Center?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,498

Post#285 » by TimberKat » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

We will go to a 4 center line up? Are you really Connelly or Finch?
Seriously, I don't think a Towns or Naz trade works either because I don't see Sengun play well with Gobert. I also don't want to trade Gobert right now because Towns/Naz are still bad defenders at center.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,711

Post#286 » by Shaka_Zulu » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

No chance, that kid is their franchise player. Total stud in high demand position. For most teams but ours, since we have 3 star bigs already.
seal
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#287 » by seal » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:49 pm

Question: When do NBA salaries change for trade purposes? For example, Towns currently makes $36 million, but that jumps up to $49 million next season. If the Wolves want to trade Towns after the season, would they use the $36m figure or the $49 figure to match salaries? And is there a point this offseason at which that number changes?

(Apologies if this has been answered before - I looked through the forums and couldn't find an answer.)
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,459

Post#288 » by winforlose » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:51 pm

seal wrote:Question: When do NBA salaries change for trade purposes? For example, Towns currently makes $36 million, but that jumps up to $49 million next season. If the Wolves want to trade Towns after the season, would they use the $36m figure or the $49 figure to match salaries? And is there a point this offseason at which that number changes?

(Apologies if this has been answered before - I looked through the forums and couldn't find an answer.)

Start of next season (not the opening game, but the first actual day, I think that’s the draft.)
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,689

Post#289 » by shrink » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:26 pm

winforlose wrote:
seal wrote:Question: When do NBA salaries change for trade purposes? For example, Towns currently makes $36 million, but that jumps up to $49 million next season. If the Wolves want to trade Towns after the season, would they use the $36m figure or the $49 figure to match salaries? And is there a point this offseason at which that number changes?

Start of next season (not the opening game, but the first actual day, I think that’s the draft.)

I would add that a team can begin trading again once their season ends, although the NBA discourages teams from making deals when other teams are in the playoffs. Players that are expiring that summer, or could be expirings depending on whether options are exercised, are ineligible to be traded.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#290 » by Klomp » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:53 pm

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:

I would add that a team can begin trading again once their season ends, although the NBA discourages teams from making deals when other teams are in the playoffs. Players that are expiring that summer, or could be expirings depending on whether options are exercised, are ineligible to be traded.

The "new season" comes after the July moratorium. Trades completed on draft night still use the previous season's salaries.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#291 » by minimus » Tue Apr 2, 2024 6:44 am

Would you do such trade before draft:

BRO IN: Towns, Howard, Moore
BRO OUT: Mikal Bridges, Cameron Johnson, 2027 BRO FRP

Why for BRO: rebuild around Towns who is from NY.

ORL IN: Cameron Johnson
ORL OUT: Isaac, Howard, two SRPs

Why for ORL: get a big wing shooter

MIN IN: Mikal Bridges, Isaac, 2027 BRO FRP, two SRPs from ORL
MIN OUT: Towns, Moore

Why for MIN: improve depth, complete transformation into four-out scheme around Gobert. Next steps: re-sign Morris, McLaughlin

Gobert/Reid/???
Isaac/Reid + Miller/Minott
McDaniels/Bridges + ???
Edwards/NAW/Clark
Conley/Morris/McLaughlin
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#292 » by Note30 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:32 pm

minimus wrote:Would you do such trade before draft:

Why for MIN: improve depth, complete transformation into four-out scheme around Gobert. Next steps: re-sign Morris, McLaughlin

Gobert/Reid/???
McDaniels/Bridges + ???
Edwards/NAW/Clark
Conley/Morris/McLaughlin

Isaac is pretty much just salary, he's a walking injury.

I'd rather just cut out Orlando entirely and even then this trade doesn't give us what we need. Mikal plays the same position as McDaniels and there not a shot in hell he plays behind Jaden.

I don't think this makes sense for anyone.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#293 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:27 pm

Note30 wrote:

Gobert/Reid/???
McDaniels/Bridges + ???
Edwards/NAW/Clark
Conley/Morris/McLaughlin

I'd rather just cut out Orlando entirely and even then this trade doesn't give us what we need. Mikal plays the same position as McDaniels and there not a shot in hell he plays behind Jaden.

And not a great locker room guy.
shrink
RealGM

Post#294 » by shrink » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:41 pm

Gobert/Reid/???
McDaniels/Bridges + ???
Edwards/NAW/Clark
Conley/Morris/McLaughlin

Isaac is great defensively when he plays - it just isn’t often enough.

Mikal Bridges is a good player, miscast as a #1. However, he is probably more valuable as a 3-and-D to virtually any other team. Here you have him coming off the bench (not unreasonable), while he is a clear starter for almost every other team.

I don’t think we’ll see Towns be traded, but if he went to BRK, I think it would be fore all their assets besides Bridges, and they’d try to pair them. If they did include Bridges, I think he’d go to a third team and we’d get “stuff.”
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#295 » by Note30 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 6:28 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
Note30 wrote:

Gobert/Reid/???
McDaniels/Bridges + ???
Edwards/NAW/Clark
Conley/Morris/McLaughlin

What did he do!
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#296 » by minimus » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:31 am

shrink wrote:

Gobert/Reid/???
McDaniels/Bridges + ???
Edwards/NAW/Clark
Conley/Morris/McLaughlin

Isaac is great defensively when he plays - it just isn’t often enough.

Mikal Bridges is a good player, miscast as a #1. However, he is probably more valuable as a 3-and-D to virtually any other team. Here you have him coming off the bench (not unreasonable), while he is a clear starter for almost every other team.

I don’t think we’ll see Towns be traded, but if he went to BRK, I think it would be fore all their assets besides Bridges, and they’d try to pair them. If they did include Bridges, I think he’d go to a third team and we’d get “stuff.”

My idea is to replace a superstar Towns AND Anderson with two solid forwards with different skillset:

- Isaac is an elite defender (when healthy). He has been averaging 7 PPG, 4.4RPG, 0.7 SPG, 1.2BPG in 15.4 MPG, on 52%FG, 39% 3PT
- Birdges is a solid scorer and solid defender: 20PPG, 4.6RPG, 3.7APG, on 44%FG, 37% 3PT. While Bridges is not a movement shooter we need, he is a solid scoring option and is not a liability in defense. He is compatible with Miller, Gobert, Reid, McDaniels, Edwards, NAW

Also Isaac has non guaranteed contract for next season (fully guaranteed on 1/10/25), which gives us some flexibility, Bridges has team friendly contract for two next full seasons.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,014

Post#297 » by Domejandro » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:43 am

Note30 wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
Note30 wrote:

What did he do!

Beyond apparently being pretty bizarre behind-the-scenes, he has some... uh... interesting social commentary, to be kind. That's my breadcrumbs to look into it if people want to, but political conversation will be immediately nuked off the thread, if I see it.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#298 » by Neeva » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:57 pm

Besides his off off court stuff, Isaac is a terrible fit next to Rudy. The only “available” players from Orlando I would be interested in are Suggs and maybe Carter Jr or Cole Anthony.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#299 » by Neeva » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:14 pm

I think this stretch without Kat is showing that the wolves are still a playoff team without him so if they can get their point guard of the future to pair with Ant in his prime using Kat they need to do it. While also bolstering the depth, best depth and defense in the league will be the team’s identity going forward

If Connelly traded Kat for celtics killers Dejounte Murray, Hunter and picks at deadline they would probably be title favorites right now. Murray looks way better lately with Trae Young completly out of the way.

Also I’d like to bring back Slowmo back next season after a rough start he has settled down. Slowmo always looks much better without Kat , it’s kind of bizarre. When Kat came back last season after injury slomo tanked and with Kat gone again he’s back to being good?
shrink
RealGM

Post#300 » by shrink » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:33 pm

minimus wrote:
shrink wrote:I don’t think we’ll see Towns be traded, but if he went to BRK, I think it would be fore all their assets besides Bridges, and they’d try to pair them. If they did include Bridges, I think he’d go to a third team and we’d get “stuff.”

My idea is to replace a superstar Towns AND Anderson with two solid forwards with different skillset:

- Isaac is an elite defender (when healthy). He has been averaging 7 PPG, 4.4RPG, 0.7 SPG, 1.2BPG in 15.4 MPG, on 52%FG, 39% 3PT
- Birdges is a solid scorer and solid defender: 20PPG, 4.6RPG, 3.7APG, on 44%FG, 37% 3PT. While Bridges is not a movement shooter we need, he is a solid scoring option and is not a liability in defense. He is compatible with Miller, Gobert, Reid, McDaniels, Edwards, NAW

Also Isaac has non guaranteed contract for next season (fully guaranteed on 1/10/25), which gives us some flexibility, Bridges has team friendly contract for two next full seasons.

Good points, but I think in the unlikely event we trade Towns, and we trade him for two players, I think the bulk of the value would go to the guy we start. For example, Lauri and Sexton, and trade Sexton for a back up forward. I just wish Isaac was better (more reliable) and Bridges was worse. He couldn’t be happy going from #1 option on the Nets to sixth man on the Wolves.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves